CAG Foreplay #23: I Like Green Beans (11/7/07)

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
CAG's shipwreck & mrs. shipwreck preview the new releases for the week of November 7th, 2007. This week we switch things up a little. While the previews remain the same, the roles have changed. Shipwreck gets to preview all the games that Mrs. Ship would have normally suffered through, and good times are had by all. If you're dying to get Ship's views on Horse Life, Hannah Montana, and Dora the Explorer, this episode's for you!

You can now subscribe to Foreplay on iTunes by clicking this link: CAG Foreplay on iTunes

You can also contact us with any questions or comments at [email protected] or [email protected].

CAG Foreplay Podcast show notes will be up later today. (Who am I kidding?)

Special thanks to www.GoDaddy.com for providing CAG Foreplay listeners with a code for $5 off their purchase of $30 or more. Just enter code "CHEAP1" when you check out to get your savings.

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/foreplay/cagforeplay23.mp3[/media] [digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAG_Foreplay[/digg]

Please Note: Our podcast hosting site, Libsyn, is apparently having some issues, so I can't publish to the RSS feed. The file should play fine in the media player here on CAG though. I'll let you know as soon as the RSS feed can be updated.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Zombie Ninja Pro-Am Dev. Midway Pub. Midway Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
This title brings fan-service like only ATHF can. When Frylock gets into a South Jersey Country Club, Shake gets angry that he's not allowed in. So, he plans to exact his revenge by racing around in a golf cart and clubbing whomever he stumbles upon. The technical category for this title is action-adventure combat golf-cart racing. Enter Carl, the Mooninites, MC Pee Pants, and the Plutonians. The cel-shaded graphics look nice, and the actual game-play is divided into three parts: the golf game, combat mode, and the kart racing. Long story short, after you hit the golf ball, the course fills with zombies you must kill to move onto the next hole. When you finish the course, you race around it in your kart. Sounds unique, huh? It also includes episodes from ATHF, along with one original episode exclusive to the game. The load times are antiquated, but the humor is pure fun. Check it out on your PS2 for $30. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for ATHF: ZNPA.

:ps2: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Bee Movie Game Dev. Beenox Pub. Activision Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
(Deja Preview) This third-party action-adventure game is obviously a tie in to the Dreamworks movie released this past weekend. The plot of the movie (and the game) is that Barry the Bee (voiced by Jerry Seinfeld) doesn't just want to be a honey-maker. Instead, he leaves the hive to explore the outside world. Enter tons of collectables, side-missions, flying levels, and even some driving levels. The demo follows the general template of quicktime events using the analog stick, quicktime events using the action buttons, Jerry Seinfeld yells "Watch out!", cut-scene, repeat, repeat, Jerry Seinfeld yells "Watch out!", repeat, repeat, repeat, end demo. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Bee Movie Game for $44 shipped.

:wii: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:wii: Purchase At Deep Discount $43.99 (Free shipping)

Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War Dev. Omega Force Pub. Koei Systems: PS3, 360 MSRP: $59.99
Head back to Medieval Europe in this real-time strategy game. Playing as a rogue commander, you oversee bands of mercenaries as they fight with and against the English and French. For a strategy title, this game boasts game-play that centers around the gamer's choices. There is certainly an odd mix of button-mashing, real-time RPG, and of course, strategy. The demo starts, you choose your character, and off you go. Before you head off on your first mission, stop and select the "gossip" option. There's some great text sound effects a-la Zelda on the NES. Plus, the barkeep has a great Fabio/Italian accent with some corny lines. As decisions are made and forces are equipped, the game-play changes to a more strategy oriented game. In between battles, our leader heads to a local bar where you are able to interact, recruit more soldiers, and buy weapons. Not ever having played a RTS before, I wasn't impressed, but I won my first assignment, oh wait. That was the tutorial. If you're looking for a standard RTS, this game isn't for you. If you're interested in a Dynasty Warriors RTS alternative that might be worth your cash, check out the demo on XBLA or PSN. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Bladestorm.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $57.68 (99 cent shipping)

Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII Dev. Ubi Soft Romania Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: PS3 MSRP: $59.99
(Deja Preview) Because no one could have asked for it, the Blazing Angels are back to take to the skies against the Axis once more. Amazingly enough, they actually made this game worth playing this time around with improved controls and better graphics as you get to fly experimental aircraft on secret missions. And the great thing about these missions being on the hush hush is that they didn't tell the heinous voice actors from the first game about them. - ship

Best Deal:
Amazon is offering Blazing Angels 2 for $57 shipped.

:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $56.99 (Free shipping)

Bratz: 4 Real Dev. THQ Pub. THQ Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Sure, you've already seen the live-action movie based on the strangely proportioned dolls (their bulbous heads would result in serious spinal trauma with any sudden movement), but now you can really play a part in unifying the cliques that exist in Bratz High School. How might you do this? Well, by designing clothes, teaching your petz to dance, and through constant socializing with other hip teens of course. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Bratz: 4 Real

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.94 (99 cent shipping)

Build-A-Bear Workshop Dev. Neko Entertainment Pub. Game Factory Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Maybe I've completely missed the point of the Build-A-Bear franchise. I mean, isn't the whole crux of this trendy mall destination that you actually get to put together a bear with your bare hands for much more than it would cost to buy a pre-made one? Well, I guess you don't get to hear the phrase "Bearrific" in the store every other sentence, or if you do, they don't pay those poor people working there enough. Yes, every outfit you put on your creation is "Bearrific", every photo you take of your digital stuffed animal in front of your choice of backdrops is "Bearrific", and every item you buy with your collected "honey nuggets" is "Bearrific". But all-in-all, as simulator games based on a store in the mall go, I'd say this game is stuffed full of the maximum amount of consumerrific fluffiness. - ship
Is he really going to leave "honey nuggets" alone? I'm disappointed. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Build-A-Bear Workshop.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.04 (99 cent shipping)

Cabela's Big Game Hunter Dev. Sand Grain Studios Pub. Activision Systems: PS2, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $39.99
Hmmm. There are lots of "Image Not Availables" on IGN when it comes to researching Cabela's Big Game Hunter. Plus, my computer is trying to install the newest version of iTunes and QuickTime all in one sitting, which makes for a not-so quick time reviewing. So, let's extrapolate. It's hunting, large-animal style coming at you one year later than the last time you donned your orange vest. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Cabela's Big Game Hunter.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $38.46 (99 cent shipping)
:ps2: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Dev. Infinity Ward Pub. Activision Systems: PS3, 360 MSRP: $59.99, $69.99
Most gamers won't need me to explain this well-known WWII first-person-shooter franchise. Except, of course, it's no longer set in WWII. The newest edition is set in modern times, location unnamed. The other thing that most gamers will remember from playing the COD4 beta is that your soldier becomes more skilled as you play. As your player levels up, new weapons, skills, and abilities become available. The levels cap at 65 (in the final game, this is rumor - the beta only went up to 55), and then the gamer has the choice of staying at 55 or restarting at level one in prestige mode with a bonus icon. All in all, this game is one that's been talked about for months, so you don't need a preview to recommend you buy it - most of you probably already have. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Call of Duty 4 for $55 shipped and the Collector's Edition for $61 shipped. Circuit City is giving you a free copy of Call of Duty 3 if you purchase the Xbox 360 version of the game.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Circuit City $59.99 (Free Call of Duty 3 with purchase)
:ds: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $59.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Family Video $53.99 (99 cent shipping)
:360: Purchase At Amazon $69.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Family Video $59.99 (99 cent shipping)

Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Mermaids Dev. 2K Games Pub. 2K Games Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Well, for the love of... how about some spoiler tags on that title next time 2K Games? A chubby, Latina child turns into a mermaid and, with the help of her pants-less monkey, saves the day by teaching full-blooded mermaids rudimentary Spanish and problem solving skills. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dora Saves the Mermaids.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $28.99 (Free shipping)

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker Dev. TOSE Pub. Square Enix Systems: DS MSRP: $34.99
The Dragon Quest Monsters series brings your favorite Dragon Quest RPG characters to the DS so that you can train them, breed them, and fight them. The goal is to become the greatest Monster trainer in the world. Does this mean you'll be fighting Ash somewhere along the way? - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $34.99 (Free shipping)

Enchanted Dev. Altron Pub. Disney Interactive Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Much like Dolph Lundgren's rendition of He-Man, Disney's Enchanted features characters from a fantasy kingdom that are sucked through a portal and into modern day New York City. Sure, it features Princess Giselle instead of Prince Adam, but I'm sure she's here to kick a lot of Skeletor ass... or fall into a love triangle with Patrick Dempsey and some other guy. Well, the DS game follows her and the non-Dr. McDreamy's platforming escapades through the Big Apple and the mythical kingdom of Andalasia. As Giselle, you get to sing songs and call on the help of animal friends, while as Prince Edward you ride around on a white pony and poke stuff with your sword. Oh, and you can play as her pet chipmunk as well. It actually doesn't look like too bad of an entry game for Disney's newest princess. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Enchanted.

F.E.A.R. Files Dev. TimeGate/Day1 Studios Pub. Sierra Systems: 360 MSRP: $49.99
This title contains both F.E.A.R. Extraction Point and F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate; both were expansion packs on the PC. I love first-person shooters, and this title is pretty good. The gamer plays as an elite soldier (as always) fighting an unimaginable evil (again, as always). The demo is a solid representation of the game, so you should check it out on XBLA. Once while playing I used the shot gun to split a guy in half. That was fun, but dying at the large metal hands of the first robot I came to wasn't. There's lots to destroy within the environment, and the weapons choices are good (including the new grenade launcher). Plus, the enemy A.I. is good and there's the added bonus of being able to slow time. There doesn't seem to be anything truly negative about this title, except the obvious lack of any FEAR as mentioned in the title. It's an entertaining game, although I'm not sure what makes it stand out as worthy of your $50. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering F.E.A.R. Files for $44 shipped. Best Buy is giving away a free $10 gift card with the purchase of the game.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $43.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Best Buy $49.99 (Free $10 gift card with purchase)

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Dev. Intelligent Systems Pub. Nintendo Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
This well-known strategy franchise comes to the Wii, and strategy lovers rejoice. The upside? Form your army out of the familiar characters of your choosing, and help them to fight together. As they interact, their relationships grow and they become better at working together on the battlefield. This game is a classic strategy game and is geared toward hard-core strategy fans. The downside? Hard core lovers of the Wii-mote should know that while this game is being released on the Wii, the controls, graphics, and online capabilities, are coming out for the GameCube. So, true fans of this franchise will love this title because it's what they've loved all along. But if you're looking for a great, unique Wii-based experience, this title isn't for you. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for $44 shipped.

:wii: Purchase At Family Video $44.99 (99 cent shipping)

Go Diego Go: Safari Rescue Dev. 2K Games Pub. 2K Games Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
If you aren’t familiar with Diego, he’s the character created because fathers just couldn’t stomach their little boys being so enthralled with Dora and her mountain of pink merchandise. Well, at least that’s my guess. Anyway, some magician has messed up all the African animals by doing things like removing the stripes from zebras and giving giraffes short necks. It's up to you to help Diego put everything back to normal with the aid of a magic drum. You might even get to learn that the Spanish word for "giraffe" is "jirafa" in the process! - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Go Diego Go: Safari Rescue.

Hannah Montana: Music Jam Dev. Gorilla Games Pub. Disney Interactive Studios Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) If you're looking to complete the trifecta this week, buy this third game being released by Disney that targets young girls. Nothing's hotter right now than Hannah Montana, and this game offers the usual fare: music games, fashion design, and lots of trademarked Disney goodness. For $29.99, your daughter will love it. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Hannah Montana: Music Jam.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour Dev. Avalanche Software Pub. Disney Interactive Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Featuring 16 hit songs from the first two seasons of the show, this dancing and fashion game is sure to make you question how much you really love the little girls who are playing your Wii. Hand-dance your way to super-stardom as you move the Nunchuk and Wiimote to match the scrolling arrows! So this is what it feels like to be a pop star! - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Hanna Montana: Spotlight World Tour for $44 shipped.

Horse Life Dev. Neko Entertainment Pub. D3 Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
A horse simulating game where you must feed, clean, ride and accessorize your horse and then compete in equestrian events. Why hasn’t anyone thought of this idea before!? – ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Horse Life.

Hot Wheels: Beat That Dev. Eutechnyx Pub. Activision Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Hmm... this must have come out for the other systems the week we took a break. I'm sure we would have said something along the lines of it being a racing game based on small die-cast cars. Yeah, that's all I got. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Hot Wheels: Beat That.

LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga Dev. Traveller's Tales Pub. LucasArts Entertainments Systems: DS, Wii, PS3, 360 MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
LEGO Star Wars I (Episodes I, II, and III) & LEGO Star Wars II (Episodes IV, V, and VI) are combined to bring you all six episodes in one glorious game. I know, you're thinking this is just a ploy to make some more money, but there are added bonuses with this new compilation. There are new power-ups throughout the episodes, and the Force moves available in the second game are now available in the first. There are also new levels to play through, and each version of the game comes with exclusive content. The six-axis controller and 1080p play a role in the PS3 version, while the 360 version comes with achievements. Of course, the Wii version will come with light-saber-wielding Wii-mote capabilities. Anyone who's played through these games will tell you that the camera angles can get annoying, and the game-play is simple. Some might even say childish. But, the sight of a storm trooper bursting into ten little LEGO pieces is something that will entertain even the most hardcore gamers. If you haven't played these games yet, you should check them out now. These are the games you are looking for. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga for $44 shipped.

:360: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:360: Purchase At Deep Discount $43.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Amazon $49.99 (Free shipping)
:ps3: Purchase At Deep Discount $43.99 (Free shipping)

LifeSigns: Surgical Unit Dev. Spike Pub. Dreamcatcher Interactive Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
This hospital-adventure game is similar to the existing franchise of Trauma Center. It's also called Life Signs: Hospital Affairs in the UK and Australia, and is originally a Japanese franchise. It's rumored to include all the great surgery missions, but also includes diagnosis and even cooking mini games. The differences between it and Trauma Center mostly involve Life Signs realism, and your tools are mostly chosen for you. The realism is to the point that the game is rated T for blood, and some reviewers were getting nauseous. All in all, if the medical simulator games are up your alley, this one will do just fine. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for LifeSigns.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Dev. SEGA Pub. SEGA Systems: Wii MSRP: $49.99
Built around what is essentially a collection of mini games, the Mushroom Kingdom and … umm… wherever Sonic lives collide for the first time. Compete in a myriad of events including archery, hammer throw, 110m hurdles, swimming, and table tennis. That’s really just skimming the surface of the twenty-something events that will cause you and your friends to flail about with delusions of gold medals. As far as I know, there aren’t any mandatory drug tests in this game, but if your friend’s Princess Peach suddenly has an Adam’s apple and a plumber’s moustache, feel free to call them on it. - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for $44 shipped.

My French Coach Dev. Ubi Soft Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
My Spanish Coach Dev. Ubi Soft Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
My Word Coach Dev. Ubi Soft Pub. Ubi Soft Systems: DS, Wii MSRP: $29.99, $49.99
Don't immediately lump these games into the Brain Training craze. These actually look to be really well done language learning tools that start pretty basic and increase in difficulty as you master each section. Each includes several different activities and games that help you learn through repetition and recognition. They even take advantage of the microphone in the DS so you can practice your pronunciation. I'm genuinely surprised by how apparently well done these games are and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of them find their way into my DS in the future. - ship

Best Deal:
Deep Discount is offering the Wii version of My Word Coach for $44 shipped.

Ontamarama Dev. Atlus Pub. Atlus Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
This newest Atlus title is a quirky touch-based music game that is sure to be addicting. Or frustrating. The game-play requires you to use one hand to follow the beat via the d-pad, and the other to use the stylus and touch-screen to tap/hit small creatures called Ontama. Yup, two hands doing two different things. The game gets even more complex when you find that different colored Ontama do different things: some add to your score, some subtract from it. Some act as multipliers, and others can be combined together. Plus, as you tap the Ontama, they cause new notes to move across the music bar, giving your other hand more work to do with the d-pad. Sound confusing? Join the club. Since there's no demo available for this game, you should check out game-play video before you buy if you're unsure about this one. If you love music/rhythm games and are looking for what's been billed as a Puyo Pop/Elite Beat Agents/DDR hydrid, this game is for you. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Ontamarama.

:ds: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

Panzer Tactics Dev. Sproing Pub. CDV Software Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
Looking for a turn-based WWII strategy title that has the graphics of a Harvest Moon game? So maybe that's an exaggeration, but the graphics on this hex-based strategy game are a little colorful when compared to the various shades of gray in the WWII titles I'm used to. Command the German Wehrmacht, the Red Army, or the Western Allies as you play through historical campaigns. There are 30 missions, not including the multiplayer missions, and great touch-screen controls. The battlefields offer some realism with trees, grass, and weather that each affect the game-play of the hex. There's multiplayer, which is accessed via Wi-Fi. All in all, this 10tacle Studios title is being compared to Advanced Ward DS. For $30, it could be the strategy DS game you've been waiting for. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Panzer Tactics.

Puzzle de Harvest Moon Dev. Natsume Pub. Natsume Systems: DS MSRP: $29.99
This hectic puzzle game based in the Harvest Moon universe is certainly a different beast than the usual leisurely-paced farming fare. Plant your seeds, water your seeds, fertilize your seeds, and harvest your crops as you compete against three other amphetamined farmers trying to stake their claim. The charm and pretty colors will be flying at you so quickly that your eyes will be bleeding puppies and honey nuggets. Now get out there and farm! - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Puzzle de Harvest Moon.

:ds: Purchase At Amazon $29.79 (Free shipping)

Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action Dev. Screenlife Pub. Microsoft Systems: 360 MSRP: $59.99
The popular DVD-board game is now an Xbox 360 game with four big button controllers. If you are not familiar with "Scene It?", it can be summed up as a movie trivia game that uses clips, quotes, and still-frames to set up both observational questions and questions that actually deal with events from the movies. This is a good version and is certainly designed for parties, but judging from the demo, mrs. ship would apparently kick my ass at this game. - ship

Best Deal:
Family Video is offering Scene It? for around $58 shipped.

:360: Purchase At Family Video $56.24 (99 cent shipping)

Silent Hill Origins Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: PSP MSRP: $29.99
Silent Hill comes to the PSP in this newest visit to the scariest made-up place on Earth. Play as Travis O'Grady, the unfortunate truck driver who has gotten himself run off the road outside of Silent Hill. Cue the scary music. Much of the game-play is similar to what we've seen before, and along with the new-found portability, there's plenty of new stuff to keep you entertained. There's now a barricade system where the gamer can create rooms that are safe from enemies. Plus, there's an enhanced camera system. When it comes to the PSP, any camera system that's not focused on someone's shoe in the corner is fine with me. Also, weapons get progressively weaker as they are used. There are puzzles to be solved in order to progress the game as you take Travis back-and-forth between the "normal" world and the super-creepy one. Silent Hill Origins is getting good scores from reviewers (82 average on Metacritic), so if you're a fan of this series, you shouldn't worry about spending your cash on this new portable version. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Silent Hill Origins.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Family Video $27.64 (99 cent shipping)

SOCOM: Tactical Strike Dev. Slant Six Games Pub. SCEA Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
More strategy games. Instead of sticking with the shooter format, SOCOM is now a squadron-based strategy game, requiring you to instruct four soldiers fighting along side of your character. Learning the controls isn't supposed to be difficult, but since there's no demo available, I'd suggest checking out what the critics have to say before spending your cash. At least I've prevented you from buying what you think is a third-person-shooter. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for SOCOM: Tactical Strike.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

The Simpsons Game Dev. EA Redwood Shores Pub. Electronic Arts Systems: PSP MSRP: $39.99
(Deja Preview) Humor abounds in this sarcastic, colorful, classically Simpson-esque action-adventure game. Unfortunately, so do frustrating camera angles. Playing as Bart, Homer, Marge, Lisa, and even Maggie offers lots of varied game-play. Each character has his or her own special skills and collectable icons, and each level has a series of video-game cliches that Comic Book Guy will give you points for finding. Each level is a parody of a well-known video game (from Gauntlet to Medal of Honor), and the humor will please true fans. But, the game-play (especially the aforementioned camera angles) can be frustrating. Playing with two players helped make the game-play a bit more fluid and less annoying. A great fan service title with lots of creativity, well-worth your money? Yes. Take two ibuprofen prior to playing so your head doesn't explode? You betcha. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for The Simpsons Game.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $39.95 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $38.99 (Free shipping)

World Series of Poker 2008 Dev. Left Field Productions Pub. Activision Systems: DS, PSP MSRP: $29.99
(Deja Preview) Although there is very little information out there on this year's version of World Series of Poker, I do know they've added some more people with snazzy nicknames and interesting wardrobe choices. - ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for World Series of Poker 2008.

:psp: Purchase At Amazon $29.99 (Free shipping)
:psp: Purchase At Deep Discount $28.99 (Free shipping)

Yu-Gi-Oh GX: The Beginning of Destiny Dev. Konami Pub. Konami Systems: PS2 MSRP: $29.99
Let me just say up front that I'm not very familiar with this franchise. You've probably picked up on that before. It's a duel-based game in which you play as a new student dueling other students to make friends and build relationships. The goal is to find the best partner for the duel championship. You do so by dueling. Now I'm just trying to see how many times I can get the word "duel" into this preview. Duel. Now I'm done. - mrs. ship

Best Deal:
There don't seem to be any specific deals for Yu-Gi-Oh GX: The Beginning of Destiny.

On The DL with the Shipwrecks

Alien Soldier Systems: Wii MSRP: $9
Hello, Contra-esque Treasure game with hot-swappable weapons and an insane frequency of deformed bosses that never reached North America shores. Goodbye nine dollars. Well, it was actually on Sega Channel back in the day, but most people (myself included) never got to play this gem. I still don't understand this charging of an extra dollar for imports (especially when they came out in English to begin with), but there's no easier and legit way to play these, so I guess you've got my money Nintendo. - ship

Power Golf Systems: Wii MSRP: $6
How sweet it must feel to have the cajones to release a rom of a TurboGrafx-16 golf game for $6 and know that there are going to be people who buy it. - ship

Super Mario Bros. 3 Systems: Wii MSRP: $5
This is my favorite Mario game ever. I loved it. The worlds are fantastic, and it introduced the Tanooki suit and the raccoon tail. This game is everything a side-scrolling platformer should be. The only thing that would make it better is if it came with achievements. Oh well, it's well worth your $5. So very worth it. - mrs. ship

Switchball Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
Another Marble Madness type game hits Xbox Live Arcade this week in the form of Switchball. As per usual, you guide your sphere through different mazes, but this time around you must morph the physical properties of your ball to navigate the levels. Featuring both co-op and versus online modes, this could be something worth checking out for fans of Marble Blast Ultra. - ship

Word Puzzle Systems: 360 MSRP: $10
It's odd to me that they couldn't think up a better name for a game about words, but here it is: Word Puzzle. It's basically an updated version of the word search puzzles that you find in newspapers everyday, but with online play and vision camera support. - ship

Did we miss a good sale on a game? Did we miss previewing a game completely? Well, the only way that everyone can know a better deal is out there is to let us know about it. Post deals you've found or games that we missed in the thread so that CAGs can make sure they are getting the absolute best prices on new releases.

Thanks for putting out another podcast, I just want to go ahead now and post up my respect and appreciation for the work you two do every week :)

Since Dora is a singular female, she's Latina, not Latino. Unless, there's something about her I don't know.

A more pressing issue: I can't seem to d/l the show through itunes. It's usually a painless process, but now I'm getting a 'network connection timed out error" via itunes.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Since Dora is a singular female, she's Latina, not Latino. Unless, there's something about her I don't know.[/QUOTE]

*Places order for My Spanish Coach.*

[quote name='MaskedPlague']Is it up on iTunes? It won't DL.[/QUOTE]

No, iTunes needs the RSS feed, which I currently can't publish because Libsyn (our hosting site) is down. As soon as they are functioning, I'll click the publish button and then it should show up in iTunes. Sorry about this, but there's nothing I can really do at the moment.

[quote name='shipwreck']No, iTunes needs the RSS feed, which I currently can't publish because Libsyn (our hosting site) is down. As soon as they are functioning, I'll click the publish button and then it should show up in iTunes. Sorry about this, but there's nothing I can really do at the moment.[/quote]

No prob, ship. I will just have to listen to speed metal on the way to work. It's pretty much the same thing.

Another awesome show guys! :applause:

[quote name='MaskedPlague']It's pretty much the same thing.[/quote]
Ban this jackass

[quote name='shipwreck']No, iTunes needs the RSS feed, which I currently can't publish because Libsyn (our hosting site) is down. As soon as they are functioning, I'll click the publish button and then it should show up in iTunes. Sorry about this, but there's nothing I can really do at the moment.[/quote]
Are you using na RSS generator or an online RSS tool that is integrated with your webhost?

You know, you can always do the old parent trick to settle who will reveiw what. One of you makes 2 lists of games to review and the other picks which list he/she wants. It's fair and will make every week fun. BTW, havn't heard this one yet, but good show in general.

T

Good show this week guys! It's good to see the misery got spread around this time. I think I'll be picking up my Spanish coach and practicing on it as my stepmother is from Mexico.

"Apparently a chubby latino girl has a pet monkey."

Best description of the show I've ever heard :rofl:

Also Bladestorm is really a spiritual successor to Koei's Kessen series. So using a Dynasty Warriors comparison isn't really fair. The game plays very much like the other games in the Kessen series, with more emphasis on action. Though every installment of the Kessen series has gotten more action oriented, so Bladestorm really is just the next step for where that series was going.

You guys might also want to post where to AVOID buying a game. As the holidays approach EB/GS is up to their old tricks and starting to impose a $5 premium on DS games again. For example, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker is $39.99 there. Fortunately my Gamecrazy preorder came in so I didn't have to resort to the $5 extra (have to get it at one or the other since all my credit is at those places and either is better than $35 in real money anywhere else).

Anyway, as CAGs we certainly need to make damn sure we avoid paying MORE than MSRP for new release, easy-to-find, games. Maybe you could throw a little warning in the next 'cast to those who aren't quite so savvy ;).

[quote name='sykoex']Another awesome show guys! :applause:

Ban this jackass[/quote]

Yo, it was a joke. Take your meds.

Great show, and listening to Shipwreck doing the games he normally avoids was a great idea.

I've listened to the show a few times and I think it should be a half-hour long. I'm not saying it's a bad show exactly but I don't know if there is enough content for an hour.

I wish I could find people who enjoy Olympic based games as much as I do. I've already played several hours of Mario & Sonic. I like to match up my Borat Mii against Mario to have an Ultimate Battle of The Mustache.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Wow. I can tell easily which summaries Ship wrote and which ones the Mrs. wrote. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Is it because mine have even more sparkles and honey nuggets than usual?

Great show, I liked the flip-flop. :)

I must say, the moment of the show for me was when in the segment on the ATHF game, and in talking about the zombines on the golf course, one of you said (I don't remember off the top of my head), "...and then you beat them off." I almost fell off the elliptical at the gym when I heard that.

On a side note, does anybody know if Dragon Quest Monsters similar to Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime? I haven't played that yet (it's in my stack), but I heard it was a fun little thing.

/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']Great show, I liked the flip-flop. :)

I must say, the moment of the show for me was when in the segment on the ATHF game, and in talking about the zombines on the golf course, one of you said (I don't remember off the top of my head), "...and then you beat them off." I almost fell off the elliptical at the gym when I heard that.

On a side note, does anybody know if Dragon Quest Monsters similar to Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime? I haven't played that yet (it's in my stack), but I heard it was a fun little thing.

/tk[/QUOTE]

Monsters isn't anything like Rocket Slime other than they both have Dragon Quest characters. Rocket Slime is an action game similar to the overworld on Zelda:LTTP and then you have these big tank battles that involve a slight bit of strategy. Monsters is a 3D monster collecting and battling game where you level up your monsters.

Come On! No jumped the shark comments?

They messed with the formula they must have jumped the shark!
How can this be? My faith in the internet has failed this day....

Seriously, nice show as always. Just wondering if Mrs. Shipwreck has a different opinion on you "getting all the good games" now? It seems to me that you are just more positive about your games and there is actually a pretty nice balance each week.

OK, listening now. No Force power in the first Lego Star Wars?? I don't think that's right. I'm nearly positive you did have force powers - at least the type where you manipulate objects. I'm pretty sure it was essential to the game (needed for puzzles, advancement, etc). I'll have to ask my kids though in the morning to be sure ;).

As for Katamari, big kudos to Mrs Ship for getting a 3 while still passing the level :applause:. I had no idea that was possible. I think the lowest I ever saw was 20 or so.

As far as achievements go, I actually find the ones in Katamari to be some of the most truly achieveable (in terms of getting 1000/1000) of all the games I own. I mean, there's no "win 20 ranked matches in a row" type crap like some games have. If you can get 100's on all the levels you can unlock Eternal mode, which then helps with getting all the cousins/presents and the 100% collection achievement (which I have yet to get). It may seem daunting, but 100 isn't too far off of 50 or 60. You just need to know where to go (trial and error in my case) and get that exponential growth in the last minute or so to push you over the edge. The hard thing is getting 120's on the normal levels (it is fairly easy on the first one, the last one, and the extra level after the credits).

[quote name='shipwreck']Monsters isn't anything like Rocket Slime other than they both have Dragon Quest characters. Rocket Slime is an action game similar to the overworld on Zelda:LTTP and then you have these big tank battles that involve a slight bit of strategy. Monsters is a 3D monster collecting and battling game where you level up your monsters.[/quote]
Well I feel kind of stupid now, but hey what can you do. :oops: Though I'm more excited about playing Rocket Slime now, eventually. ;)

One other question--either this week or last, you mentioned that there was some PSN game where you hatch eggs, and how you've been getting updates for it based on the season. What game was that?

/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']Well I feel kind of stupid now, but hey what can you do. :oops: Though I'm more excited about playing Rocket Slime now, eventually. ;)

One other question--either this week or last, you mentioned that there was some PSN game where you hatch eggs, and how you've been getting updates for it based on the season. What game was that?

/tk[/QUOTE]

That would be Piyotama.

i liked this format where Shippy reviewed the horrible games. it's actually funnier and more entertaining, hehe

once again mrs. shippy, it's pronounced Yu-GHEE-Oh (hard G) ^^;;;

Great show. Clever premise, switching the lists. Going forward, I like the idea of splitting things more evenly so you both get some good, some bad, some masculine, some feminine. Hell, most weeks you'll still be able to each have a Hannah Montana or Naruto title to talk about.

In case you were wondering, we aren't going to have a show this week. We moved into our new house this weekend and are completely exhausted. Plus, with 40+ games scheduled to come out this week, it just wasn't feasible for us to have time to research, find deals, write, record, and edit with everything going on.

We do have an excellent podcast recording area in our new house though that should make for a lot easier of a time recording and editing.

Expect us to have a new show up on the site next Monday (our new permanent release day), so I'm sure we'll discuss some of this week's new releases as well.

Oh, and this also means that the entry period for the Saturn contest has been extended until this Sunday.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So your fridge willl no longer be an enemy to the podcast?[/QUOTE]

Nope, we surrendered to that fridge and were exiled from that apartment to this new house. Our new fridge overlord is quite understanding about us having a podcast to do and generally keeps several rooms away when we record.

Wait, what???

A half dozen Petz simulator sequels are coming out, including their dramatic leap onto a Next Gen console... and there's no show this week???

How will people know not to buy them without Mrs Shipwreck's exasperated pleas for them to stop?

I guess I'll go stand in line for them now.

It would be hilarious if you guys put out a 15 second podcast that simply said, "Welcome to the CAG Foreplay podcast. BUY SUPER MARIO GALAXY. That is all."

[quote name='shipwreck']Nope, we surrendered to that fridge and were exiled from that apartment to this new house. Our new fridge overlord is quite understanding about us having a podcast to do and generally keeps several rooms away when we record.[/quote]

WHAT?? the quote in my sig is no longer relevant? :(

okay Shippy, i shall await something else memorable from ya ^.^

[quote name='shipwreck']In case you were wondering, we aren't going to have a show this week.[/quote]

Dammit! What am I going to listen to while doing mindless junk at work?!?!?! Ah, oh well. Congrats on the house (and the move, that was pretty quick!). :)

/tk

congrats with the house. with wombats new job, the navy ads,and cheapys life as a parent, you guys are being ignored! dont worry,I'm still loyal.

anyway, I'm getting the rank of CAG in training on the 30th, and I'm having my sig as

the CAG foreplay is an interesting podcast, and getting a womans opinion is great. Mrs. shipreck is very involved aswell

wombat, UGO

The ship has sailed on this podcast and it's delayed every other week. I wonder what the new excuse will be in 2 weeks. Probably Thanksgiving hangover.

It's an awesome podcast, but damn. The last 1-2 months have been delayed city. Worst of all is, instead of doing the show a date or two late, it's like... ehhh screw it.

I assure you that there will be no Thanksgiving hangover. We'll have a show out every Monday from this point forward for awhile now. We hate to put out delayed shows or skip a week, but the fact of the matter is that this is a hobby and when life changing events occur (like buying and moving into a new house), well, we just don't have the time to put out a show.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']The ship has sailed on this podcast and it's delayed every other week. I wonder what the new excuse will be in 2 weeks. Probably Thanksgiving hangover.

It's an awesome podcast, but damn. The last 1-2 months have been delayed city. Worst of all is, instead of doing the show a date or two late, it's like... ehhh screw it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shipwreck']I assure you that there will be no Thanksgiving hangover. We'll have a show out every Monday from this point forward for awhile now. We hate to put out delayed shows or skip a week, but the fact of the matter is that this is a hobby and when life changing events occur (like buying and moving into a new house), well, we just don't have the time to put out a show.[/quote]

and i shall await pics of you know what ^.^

Good lord, people are complaining? Not to get confrontational, but the ships do this absolutely for free, and it's a lot of work. Keep up the good work and most people do understand that this time of year is hectic and other things sometimes have to come first.

Hey guys, I know I promised Mondays, but the mrs. got called into work last night right as we were sitting down to record. I fully expect to have a show posted later tonight.

[quote name='shipwreck']Hey guys, I know I promised Mondays, but the mrs. got called into work last night right as we were sitting down to record. I fully expect to have a show posted later tonight.[/quote]

duty calls...

[quote name='shipwreck']Hey guys, I know I promised Mondays, but the mrs. got called into work last night right as we were sitting down to record. I fully expect to have a show posted later tonight.[/quote]
Alright Good! Just remember, every week that Wombat & cheapD don't record it is your (Meaning the Mrs. & You) to make up for the abscence for the week. Please don't dissapoint although you guys never do :)

bread's done
Back