Best 8-Bit RPG?

punqsux

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
i was gunna start a poll for this but decided to get some input first, so name youre favorite 8-bit rpg

mine goes to phantasy star, simply beautiful game and fun to play

Im not entirely sure what my fav is, but PS1 is defintely up there, I did not really play it until the release of the GBA collection and I was amazed at how well it held up over the years, in addition the graphics are really nice for 8bit. I got the the last liar though and got distracted...i should go back and finish it.

I still break out the first Final Fantasy every now and then to play. The best of the FF series.

Tied for second would be Crystalis (that counts right?) and Destiny of an Emperor.

[quote name='PsyClerk']I still break out the first Final Fantasy every now and then to play. The best of the FF series.

Tied for second would be Crystalis (that counts right?) and Destiny of an Emperor.[/quote]

call me new school but i still cant get anywhere in ff

there was a might and magic game released for nes that really kicked ass, also, bard's tale ^^

My all time favorite is Dragon Warrior 1. First console RPG I ever played. I still go through that game once a year. This is more of a sentamental fave though, I think DW 3 is by far a much more quality RPG.

whats so funny with Chrono trigger its a kick ass cool game but my favorite and first RPG i played was Breath of Fire for SNES it was great but was it 16 bit i dunno

Hey, if we're counting the GameBoy and GameGear, then I must throw in Shining Force II on GG, and Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the GB. FFL2 was game that convinced me to get a GB way back in the day.

Destiny of an emperor was my fav back in the day but im not sure how it holds up now.. Crystallas I have a bunch of memories with that game too. I remember being on a website when they mentioned that "today is doomsday" according to Crystallas, and gave the date... it was sometime in 1999 i believe

[quote name='punqsux']8-bit = nes, sms, gamegear, gameboy/color...umm any others?[/quote]

Had you asked me 64 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. Had you asked me 128 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. Had you asked me 32 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. And obviously, if you asked me 16 bit the answer would be CORRECTLY answered as Chrono Trigger. :)

[quote name='RichD1'][quote name='punqsux']8-bit = nes, sms, gamegear, gameboy/color...umm any others?[/quote]

Had you asked me 64 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. Had you asked me 128 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. Had you asked me 32 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. And obviously, if you asked me 16 bit the answer would be CORRECTLY answered as Chrono Trigger. :)[/quote]

That couldn't make any less sense.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='RichD1'][quote name='punqsux']8-bit = nes, sms, gamegear, gameboy/color...umm any others?[/quote]

Had you asked me 64 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. Had you asked me 128 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. Had you asked me 32 bit, the answer would have been Chrono Trigger. And obviously, if you asked me 16 bit the answer would be CORRECTLY answered as Chrono Trigger. :)[/quote]

That couldn't make any less sense.[/quote]

Shh! I'm trying to hide the fact that I read 8bit as 16bit!!

eusa_whistle.gif

No offense, and I realize I probably stand alone on this one, but...I thought Chrono Trigger was sort of crappy. I just couldn't get into the game. Watched a roommate in college play through it, still thought it was blah.

dragon warrior 1 was great was my first rpg too.

ff1 was great too. i would say both of them tie as my fav's for 8bit.

Fav ff game is probably FF2 for snes.

FF for NES was great. Only problem I ever had with it was when you set off to buy 99 heal potions. Took freakin' forever.

DW1 was pretty fun at the time, but man, I don't think that game held up at all. Pulling up a menu to go down stairs? Horrible.

So far, all responses are more turn-based/Dragon Warrior type RPGs. What about action RPGs, or would it mainly just be Zelda?

Crystalis counts as an action RPG. I thought it was better than either of the NES Zeldas.

Man, we need a Crystalis sequel.

[quote name='poormojo']I'm alone here, I know, but I loved Ultima: Exodus for the NES. And its sequel.[/quote]

I think that was the first game I owned that was a traditional RPG. I loved it for a while, but got super bored with it. Probably too young at the time or something. I think I was put off by the fact that certain things happened under certain phases of the moon, etc. Now, I would think that's kind of cool. I don't think I'd have the willpower to fire it up now, though. Not a pretty game, is it? The way the line of sight works makes sense, but got annoying.

[quote name='The-Bavis'][quote name='poormojo']I'm alone here, I know, but I loved Ultima: Exodus for the NES. And its sequel.[/quote]

I think that was the first game I owned that was a traditional RPG. I loved it for a while, but got super bored with it. Probably too young at the time or something. I think I was put off by the fact that certain things happened under certain phases of the moon, etc. Now, I would think that's kind of cool. I don't think I'd have the willpower to fire it up now, though. Not a pretty game, is it? The way the line of sight works makes sense, but got annoying.[/quote]

Didn;t this game have the crappiest battle system ever? It was like a VERY poor mans tactical battle, and you shot stuff at the enemy and missed half the time. I was really excited to get this as a kid, I honestly think it was close to my biggest gaming dissapointment of all time.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Crystalis counts as an action RPG. I thought it was better than either of the NES Zeldas.

Man, we need a Crystalis sequel.[/quote] I agree with both comments! IMO zelda was fun but didnt have the depth of Crystalis.

I think we've lost our Crystalis sequel chances. It would have ruled had SNK made it for the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya for the GameGear was pretty sweet.
Phantasy Star 1 was great, obviously.
Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior 1, however...FF1 I got sick of in about 45 seconds, and DW1 was good, but I always felt it took way too long to gain levels. Then again, I haven't played either in like 10 years...

I don't have a habbit of doing this, however I would always make my guy "Dry Hump" like a dog, the characters in Dragon Warrior 1.. You know when you walk into something, and it makes a "bump bump bump bump" noise... I don't know I was in elementry school at the time, it was pretty funny.... I would probably do it now if I went back and played it :lol:

[quote name='alongx']
Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior 1, however...FF1 I got sick of in about 45 seconds, and DW1 was good, but I always felt it took way too long to gain levels. Then again, I haven't played either in like 10 years...[/quote]

So you got sick of FF1 in 45 secs, but its still one of the best?

[quote name='starman9000'][quote name='alongx']
Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior 1, however...FF1 I got sick of in about 45 seconds, and DW1 was good, but I always felt it took way too long to gain levels. Then again, I haven't played either in like 10 years...[/quote]

So you got sick of FF1 in 45 secs, but its still one of the best?[/quote]

Maybe it was just the best 45 seconds of his entire life.

I loved Miracle Warriors for the Sega Master System back in the 80's. I'm not real sure how it would hold up in my eyes now. Anybody else like Miracle Warriors?

i liked miracle warriors, never finished it though. phantasy star is my favorite. Y's for the master system is one of my favorite's not a RPG, but wonderboy 3 dragon's trap STILL kicks ass to this day. dragon warrior 3+4 were really good. Govellius [spelling???] that games stomps crytalis into the ground!!!! golden axe warrior was good. am i missing any SMS rpg's????? they were all good.

i cant understand y sms did so poorly against the nes, it had a bunch of great games and almost always had better graphics (in the 8 bit days graphics were very important)

Considering that the GBC counts...the Pokémon games (Red/Blue and Gold/Silver) were brilliant. Say what you will, but odds are you were just as into it as the rest of us were when the games were popular. And guess what? The brilliance of the game WAS the reason that it was popular...or one of them, anyway.

The Legend of Zelda GBC games were great too. Link's Awakening is a classic, and the link feature made the Oracle games all that much better.

I also liked Dragon Warrior Monsters as well...not quite as polished as the Pokémon series, but the three vs. three battling and complex breeding system more than made up for it.

As for the actual NES...well, the only NES RPG I own is Zelda 2. It's fun, but it just doesn't compare to the GBC RPGs I own...

Crystalis and FF on the NES (never played the SMS). I would do almost anything for a Crystalis sequel :)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='The-Bavis'][quote name='poormojo']I'm alone here, I know, but I loved Ultima: Exodus for the NES. And its sequel.[/quote]

I think that was the first game I owned that was a traditional RPG. I loved it for a while, but got super bored with it. Probably too young at the time or something. I think I was put off by the fact that certain things happened under certain phases of the moon, etc. Now, I would think that's kind of cool. I don't think I'd have the willpower to fire it up now, though. Not a pretty game, is it? The way the line of sight works makes sense, but got annoying.[/quote]

Didn;t this game have the crappiest battle system ever? It was like a VERY poor mans tactical battle, and you shot stuff at the enemy and missed half the time. I was really excited to get this as a kid, I honestly think it was close to my biggest gaming dissapointment of all time.[/quote]

It was one of the first NES RPGs I ever played. You always remember your first.

But what I really liked about the Ultima games was that you could see the wandering monsters, so if you were crafty enough you could totally avoid encounters.

I really haven't seen that since in an RPG.

[quote name='poormojo'][quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='The-Bavis'][quote name='poormojo']I'm alone here, I know, but I loved Ultima: Exodus for the NES. And its sequel.[/quote]

Didn;t this game have the crappiest battle system ever? It was like a VERY poor mans tactical battle, and you shot stuff at the enemy and missed half the time. I was really excited to get this as a kid, I honestly think it was close to my biggest gaming dissapointment of all time.[/quote]

But what I really liked about the Ultima games was that you could see the wandering monsters, so if you were crafty enough you could totally avoid encounters.

I really haven't seen that since in an RPG.[/quote]

ever play chrono cross? i believe you can avoid about 90% of the battles and still beat the game

So, all this chatter about Crystalis has got me wondering if it has staying power. Is this game fun to pick up now and start? Never played it in the day, but it's less than $10 at EB. Worth it?

[quote name='poormojo'][quote name='Mr Unoriginal'][quote name='The-Bavis'][quote name='poormojo']I'm alone here, I know, but I loved Ultima: Exodus for the NES. And its sequel.[/quote]

I really haven't seen that since in an RPG.[/quote]

If you haven't seen that, then you haven't played Paper Mario or Mario and Luigi. I'd suggest you do - they're both great games.

In both of those games, you can see the enemy on the overworld screen and you can even try to attack them before they hit you so you can get an extra hit in.

My vote has to go to Final Fantasy. I remember buying it for my birthday when it first was released, and not really understanding how to play it. Imps kicked my ass all over the place because I didn't know I was supposed to EQUIP the weapons I purchased. I thought the game sucked, and I ended up returning it. A couple months later I was reading the feature in Nintendo Power and it said something about equipping the weapons. I know, I know, I should have read the manual. I quickly went out and repurchased the game, and I barely turned it off after that.

I remember getting to the part where you build the bridge over to the main continent, and it felt like it took such a long time. Once you cross the bridge the introduction begins really making it feel like you are in for a long epic journey. Ah, nostalgia.

bread's done
Back