Atlus/Sting RPG - Baroque - Best Roguelike on Wii!

Lan_Zer0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
The PS2 remake of the Saturn original is coming to the US for both PS2 and Wii...

http://www.atlus.com/baroque/
358as0j.jpg

EDIT:
Preview from Siliconera

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/01/16/entering-the-twisted-dungeons-of-baroque/

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/02/18/beating-the-neuro-tower-in-baroque/#more-10157

4/10

Even more from Siliconera
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/04/08/baroque-playtest-for-wii/

I was doing a check on what some of my favorite developers were doing a few days ago, and I had considered going to the Atlus forums to make a thread about having them consider localizing Baroque. How convenient.

February is crowded as far as game releases go. Smash, No More Heroes, Dragon Quest: Swords.

I hope they delay it.

Dungeon hack? No thanks. The story and setting look interesting, but the genre seems more occupied with scaring and punishing the player than being fun and rewarding.

[quote name='io']Any RPGs are welcome, particularly Atlus ones![/QUOTE]
Agreed. Definitely looks interesting, I'll keep my eye on it .. can't have enough RPG.

[quote name='io']Any RPGs are welcome, particularly Atlus ones![/QUOTE]
Atlus is only doing the localization. Sting is the one that made the game.

I'm glad they added a 3rd person view to the remake. I fucking hate first person and probably wouldn't even consider the game if it was first person only.

This may appeal to only one or two people, but the Japanese PSN store added the PSX version of Baroque yesterday. It's available for 600 Yen.

This game got a typical, not-very-informative blip in Nintendo Power this month with a few screen shots.

I'm really hoping it's a real time, action RPG like Return to Arms and not turn based. I've been waiting or a dungeon crawling hack and slash for a while and this could fill my need.

Now bumped to April 8th (in the US).

While Atlus never came out and made an announcement of this second delay the release date on their site has been modified as well as the listing at places like EBGames and Gamecrazy.

From the Nintendo Power review and here:
http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?p=17983#17983

You may not have heard of it until now, but the Baroque series has been around for almost a decade in Japan. And while we usually envy Japanese gamers for getting games we don’t, in this case we would have been better off without it. You spend the majority of your time wandering through dungeons and fighting monsters in real time.

As in most dungeon-crawlers, Baroque’s combat is slowed down to the point that it almost feels turn-based, and it quickly grows boring. As you progress, you gain experience and collect items as you might expect, but when you die (a key gameplay element), you lose everything and have to start from square one.

On top of the boring gameplay, Baroque just throws you into the action from the get-go, with no explanation of what is going on or who you are. (The main character, conveniently, has amnesia.) When you die and are reincarnated, more of the story is explained, but it’s in little bits and pieces, and you’ll often find yourself wondering what to do and where to go next.

The rest of Baroque is underwhelming as well. The graphics are average, and the dungeons are drab and unimpressive. The localization— from lines that are completely nonsensical to the character who cheerfully adds “goddammit” to every sentence—is laughably bad, and doesn’t make the story any easier to comprehend. All in all, Baroque has few redeeming qualities, and your money is better spent elsewhere. —Tom H.

Final Score: 3/10

[quote name='lbradeen']From the Nintendo Power review and here:
http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?p=17983#17983

You may not have heard of it until now, but the Baroque series has been around for almost a decade in Japan. And while we usually envy Japanese gamers for getting games we don’t, in this case we would have been better off without it. You spend the majority of your time wandering through dungeons and fighting monsters in real time.

As in most dungeon-crawlers, Baroque’s combat is slowed down to the point that it almost feels turn-based, and it quickly grows boring. As you progress, you gain experience and collect items as you might expect, but when you die (a key gameplay element), you lose everything and have to start from square one.

On top of the boring gameplay, Baroque just throws you into the action from the get-go, with no explanation of what is going on or who you are. (The main character, conveniently, has amnesia.) When you die and are reincarnated, more of the story is explained, but it’s in little bits and pieces, and you’ll often find yourself wondering what to do and where to go next.

The rest of Baroque is underwhelming as well. The graphics are average, and the dungeons are drab and unimpressive. The localization— from lines that are completely nonsensical to the character who cheerfully adds “goddammit” to every sentence—is laughably bad, and doesn’t make the story any easier to comprehend. All in all, Baroque has few redeeming qualities, and your money is better spent elsewhere. —Tom H.

Final Score: 3/10[/quote]

I read that and the atlus thread. It seems like he didn't like dungeon crawlers and well he gave a low score because of it. Either way I am not worried about this review because this game does look very promising to me. If it comes out on april 8th and avaiable on that day I may just pick it up for the hell of it since I may be heading to a gamestop with some friends I do my podcast with, lol.

I don't really read into reviews that much so I'll get this game anyways it seems decent enough to give it a playthrough.

The game is pretty interesting I think the dungeon areas are like Izuna, PMD, and Shiren the wanderer where it's random and if you die you lose items right?

[quote name='trq']Interesting. I'm really torn between this and the Persona re-release for the PS2 in two weeks ...[/QUOTE]

If its either or you have to go with FES. I am going to give this a rent, and I am quite happy that the wii version supports 480P and widescreen.

Yea I have my eye on Persona 3 FES too. I'll have to see how much they improve but since I don't have Persona 3 I guess anything is a plus.

I have no idea what Baroque is so I'm going to wait till I see some reviews.

It is a real-time roguelike to be sure, freaky creatures almost all with some weird attacks, some pretty original items, and an over the top Gothy story.

While you do lose all experience and non stored items when you die:
1) The game moves quickly with even successful runs taking a little over an hour (well, maybe more, it depends on how deep the dungeon is at a given point in the game).
2) You can store a handful of items via Sensory Orbs (freaky orbs you find every couple of levels which you can toss ONE of your items into so that it will be held in storage for you back in town.
3) For the game being as "hardcore" on the surface as it appears, it has an incredibly abusable save system. The game NEVER auto-saves and you are free to simply load your last save when you die.

played it last night.. save your money. if you really want to, rent it, but i also feel like they should be paying you to play this game.

[quote name='phear3d']played it last night.. save your money. if you really want to, rent it, but i also feel like they should be paying you to play this game.[/quote]

Fair enough, this seems to be a game folk love or hate. Just out of curiosity, phear3d, are you a fan of roguelikes in general?

[quote name='LordGek']Fair enough, this seems to be a game folk love or hate. Just out of curiosity, phear3d, are you a fan of roguelikes in general?[/QUOTE]
I think it's safe to say he is not.

I've been really wanting a console roguelike since I've been playing the crap out of the DS ones. How's the item variety? I didn't like Izuna much because so many of the items looked the same or did the same thing; although maybe I just wasn't getting far enough. And how does it compare to Shiren (Shiren being my idea of Japanese roguelike perfection)?

[quote name='tankexmortis']I've been really wanting a console roguelike since I've been playing the crap out of the DS ones. How's the item variety? I didn't like Izuna much because so many of the items looked the same or did the same thing; although maybe I just wasn't getting far enough. And how does it compare to Shiren (Shiren being my idea of Japanese roguelike perfection)?[/quote]

One sure thing about Baroque, even the HATERS can't fault it for item variety! Here is the breakdown of types:

-Swords (pretty much the only type of weapon in the game but they come in a zillion varieties with all sorts of effects).
-Coats (the game's armor, a decent variety and some are specialized for different elemental defenses).
-Wings (while they don't allow you to fly, they're pretty much the ring/amulet equivalent of this game, most commonly giving you various status ailment immunities).
-Flesh (just a few variations here, can heal HP or, if eaten when maxed, add HPs to the HP MAX value).
-Hearts (also only a few variations here, can heal VT or, if eaten when maxed, add VT to the VT

I've bought the game when it came out so far it's fun I get kinda mad when I die, but it's getting better and harder at times..

The only items that affect the characters looks is the cloats, wings, and weapons..

The runs through the tower can be fun getting different items one run I couldn't find a sword to use so I had to avoid the montsers..

The games not for everyone that's for sure it's a roguelike/mystery dungeon game whatever you like to call it I'd say rent it or wait for a drop I'm still glad I got it, but I just know it'll probably go down some, but so far only place I can find it is GS, but I haven't been to bestbuy in a while to check..

bread's done
Back