Guild Wars

SOLUSDEATH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hell everyone, anyone here play Guild Wars? I want a MMO to play but WOW just was burning a hole in my wallet. How does Guild wars compare to WOW? is it better, around the same, how do the controls and production values stack up when compared to WOW?

Thanks.

I would not recommend it. I played through all of Factions and the start of the first one. Before it I have played WoW and City of Heroes. Guild Wars does not compare to those.

There a lot of negative things about it when comparing it to games like WoW. By itself it is decent but if you start comparing then the negative things jump out.

The level 20 cap does not work. It is supposed to be based on skill and what not but that is not how it is. Just like anything else it is all about how much time you spend. The best gear is still recieved by grinding and the spells have to be found and earned. So the level cap just makes the game get to the grind portion faster. The story and setting(Factions) are alright but they do not compare to WoW. The classes are interesting they do not feel as varied as they do in WoW. You can have 30 skills but before you leave town you have to pick 8 and stick with them till you come back. This is a great drawback and makes combat a drag becuase all you see are the same attacks and actions over and over. It may not seem like much but trust me it gets to you after a while.

Also, the whole world is instanced. When you leave town you and your party are all lone in your world. Which would be fine but when you compare it with running about outside in WoW or nearly any other MMO then you see that it gets quite dull and boring. The positive thing is that it looks nice and that there is very little lag. But you can't just see some one and make a group. You gotta go to town to do that. The henchmen system is nice but they do not stack up to real people, not that they should. It just feels empty playing with them, and the stuff where you would actually need a team they become useless, for the dungeons and such things you need real people and henchmen do not suffice, they are used mostly for times when you are soloing, which in this game jsut means running about with henchies.

You mentoned controls. They are pretty much the same, nothing strange. Nothing worse nothing better. Production values, well they are not as high as Blizzard's. But the game looks nice, but there is not that much new content.

Anyway, if you can find it for cheap then get it and give it a try. But I doubt you will like it for long. WoWs main advatage is character, Guild Wars just lacks character.

It's really hard to say if it's better than WoW. They are catered to different players (I don't know anyone that likes both games).

If you were interested in Guild Wars because of the skill-based and no grinding gameplay, stop right there, because that's not what Guild Wars is anymore (it never was after the first beta).

Find a friend with a trial key, or wait for a preview event and try it out for yourself.

Reasons why I love Guild Wars:
A story driven game with cutscenes.
You can "beat" it in a reasonable amount of time (ie. complete the story)
It takes very little time to hit max level and from there on its all max level content.
PvP cannot be beat by any other game I have played.
Little to no grind required.
Tons of ingame jokes and lots of funny dialogue.
You pay once and you're done.
You always have henchmen with are 9/10 times better than joining a public group.
IF you get Nightfall you get heroes, which are fully customizable and controllable henchmen.
No other players to annoy or kill you while you're out doing missions or quests, all parties are formed in towns.
The skill setup itself is fantastic. Pick 8 skills and thats all you have to work with, so choosing a successful combination of 8 skills is always fun.
You can change your attributes and secondary class at will, so no need to ever reroll or buy an item that lets you reroll.
------
Some comments.
While no grind is required to do anything in the game, you do have the option if you wish it. There are now "titles" that rarely actually do anything other than display underneath your character's name. Those typically include grind.

You can get max armor and max weapons for very cheap and no grind is required to obtain those. However, there is "prestige" armor that cost a hell of a lot more yet offers no benefit over other max armor or weapons, it just has a different skin.

I have also played City of Heroes and WoW, and I agree, Guild Wars cannot compare to either of those games, its just so much better ;)

The single advantage those games have and its actually pretty major IMO, is the inclusion of a jump key. You cannot jump in Guild Wars unless it is via emote.

I've been playing Guild Wars since the betas myself, and have logged way too many hours, but I still play almost daily, so hit me up if you grab the game.

Never played Wow, but I did play guild wars for a while and will probably get back into it when Guild wars 2 comes out. I enjoyed the game, becus I played it with friends. The level cap is a little different, and I did not expect it, but it is challenging to go out and get the specific skills you want, which I enjoyed. The Pvp is also very fun. The best thing about the game is....its free. I refuse to pay for any online game, with the only exception being xbox live.

I've never gotten into an MMO, the subscription fee was a deterrent for me. I loved Diablo 2 and Sacred, and a free MMORPG sounds pretty great. Is Guild Wars similar to either of those games in terms of hack-and-slash gameplay? Basically, would you recommend it to someone who hated Oblivion?

No, I wouldn't even call Guild Wars a MMORPG. It does not have hack+slash gameplay where you can mow through hundreds of mobs in a few clicks. There are very specific builds for specific areas where you can kill lots at a time, but usually, its you +7 other party members vs. groups of 4-14 monsters per encounter. This is not the game for you if you like to be the only hero. Partying is encouraged and that is also why there are the AI controlled henchmen. Without a group of 8, many parts of the game would either take far too long or would be impossible.

I'd recommend Guild Wars to anyone who likes Magic: The Gathering.

You need some sort of healing, you need damage, you need to be able to interrupt monster's actions in some way. There are no "potions" or anything like that, all healing is done through either skills, or if you don't take damage for awhile, you'll naturally heal. So a typical party is 2 healers, 2 elementalists for heavy damage, usually a paragon or warrior to give shouts to buff the party, and then whatever utility characters you need for the area.

I plan on writing up a review of each game within this coming week and comparing the game then to the game now and covering all the new content and what each game has to offer.

Heres a link to my review of Factions, maybe you can get a little more info out of that.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94436

Playing in groups could be fun, as long as the people in my party aren't retards. I suppose I'd have to find a group of players to join up with, and from the looks of our forum, there's plenty of GW players on CAG.

[quote name='crystalklear64']No, I wouldn't even call Guild Wars a MMORPG. It does not have hack+slash gameplay where you can mow through hundreds of mobs in a few clicks. There are very specific builds for specific areas where you can kill lots at a time, but usually, its you +7 other party members vs. groups of 4-14 monsters per encounter. This is not the game for you if you like to be the only hero. Partying is encouraged and that is also why there are the AI controlled henchmen. Without a group of 8, many parts of the game would either take far too long or would be impossible.

I'd recommend Guild Wars to anyone who likes Magic: The Gathering.

You need some sort of healing, you need damage, you need to be able to interrupt monster's actions in some way. There are no "potions" or anything like that, all healing is done through either skills, or if you don't take damage for awhile, you'll naturally heal. So a typical party is 2 healers, 2 elementalists for heavy damage, usually a paragon or warrior to give shouts to buff the party, and then whatever utility characters you need for the area.

I plan on writing up a review of each game within this coming week and comparing the game then to the game now and covering all the new content and what each game has to offer.

Heres a link to my review of Factions, maybe you can get a little more info out of that.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94436[/quote]

I used to play Magic, back in the day, so i might enjoy it:)
After reading everyones posts and watching some gameplay footage, I've decided to buy it. It's only 20 bucks, the lvl cap is 20-and thats good for me because i don't spend a whole lot of time playing MMO's like other ppl, and if i don't like it,....oh well, hey, i know $20 dollars is alot for a cheap ass like myself, but your never going to experience New experiences if you don't take risks.(in my case the risk is $20) lol

Thanks everyone for the replies.

bread's done
Back