Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Eight(MODS: Please lock, Thread Nine is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(current one):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(please keep all conversation NOT related to guide drops HERE. Thanks.): http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists:

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:
Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
B&N
BestBuy
Borders
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuide.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, who did threads 3,4,5 and 6 and provided me with the links to them.

Thanks to Gwen for allowing me the honor of giving something back to CAG by doing this new guide thread. I hope you all enjoy it and it isn't TOO hard to read.

Recent Drops:

>>>Dropped on 06.02.08>Dropped on 06.02.08>Dropped on 05.20.08>Dropped on 05.20.08>Dropped on 05.05.08>>Dropped on 03.03.08>>Dropped on 01.25.08>Dropped on 01.05.08>Dropped on 01.05.08>Dropped on 12.22.07

Couldn't be a better person to maintain the guide thread. I wish you luck!

But seriously, with all this talk aboot a clearance at Best Buy tomorrow, would it seem possible that some guides could go with it?

At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

What's a BBV? Also, you listed Tomb Raider Anniversary dropping at GS. I'm pretty sure it didn't. It's still on the website and at all stores. Which is strange because there are 2 guides for the PS2/PC/360 versions and for the Wii versio and normally they don't keep 2 guides for the same game.... But I'm rambling.

Good luck with the upkeep, Senor Thrill Kill!

[quote name='Chronis']What's a BBV? Also, you listed Tomb Raider Anniversary dropping at GS. I'm pretty sure it didn't. It's still on the website and at all stores. Which is strange because there are 2 guides for the PS2/PC/360 versions and for the Wii versio and normally they don't keep 2 guides for the same game.... But I'm rambling.

Good luck with the upkeep, Senor Thrill Kill![/quote]
BlockBuster Video?

I've had people report that as having dropped, as well as the Scarface guide, which I had PC'd at local GS stores and they showed it as full price on the lcd screens they have by the registers too. So, it could've been a fluke and someone ended up having it bagged with other guides they grabbed that WERE a penny. I think it was already added to the Wiki too, if I remember correctly.

I just double checked it and it's listed as the PS2 version only and it supposedly dropped on 10/18/07.

Thanks lox and Chronis. As far as guides dropping with the games tomorrow, we've seen a couple strange drops before, where it'd happen on another day than Monday. Maybe Harvest Moon or Nintendogs will finally drop @ BB. We will see tomorrow though, I suppose.

Recent drops are up to date(AFAIK). Thanks to all who have reported on drops. And yes, mguiddy, BBV is short for Blockbuster. I didn't wanna confuse anyone by just listing BB. The info about their guides came from whitedeath, whose wife works for them.

correction on game crazy, it is actually $0.00 and not 1 cent. This ended up being a problem for as the store had no problem selling at $0.01 but not at $0.00

As for Tomb Raider Anniversary at GS, it is the one for PS2 and not the newer one for PS2 and Xbox 360

yea be careful about GC drops too. I work at one and I am in charge of pulling them at my store and the SECOND they hit the penny/zero mark, I pull them all down. now I never am the one who throws them away, they tend to stick around for 2-3 days, and I assume other GCs do this too, so be sure to ask on a day where you hear of a drop if they still had some left, i'd be glad to give them to you, no multiples cuz not even I get to do that, but one of whichever ones u want is fine by me, we just toss them after 2-3 days anyway. I always get a massive haul, always SOME awesome RPG guides that I get the last copy of. lol Working at a game store RULES, and i've been here for 3 years so i've gotten some nice guides over the years. It helps too cuz I collect video games so employee discounts help BIG time. I may have spent TONS of money on video games, but i'd have spent THOUSANDS more dollars had I not worked at a game crazy. good stuff. but yea i'll help with keeping you all posted on GC strat guide drops.

Thank you IamtheCheapestGamer for taking over as the keeper of the Reduced Price Game Guide thread! Knowing how you keep a regular eye on this thread and that you've wanted to help contribute around here, I'm so glad you agreed to take this responsibility.
boogie.gif

As an often huge violator myself, to help the others reading the thread and to CheapyG I promise to try to keep the extraneous conversation to a minimum. As a service to the wiki editors, I promise to always post any finds in alphabetical order. And while I'll keep an eye open for any posts which are fishing for trades (which I'll hunt down and kill without mercy), I'll keep my guides for trade in the Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse which is the very first link in this new thread.

Thanks Gwen, glad I could help. Now, where are the normally huge after Christmas drops that almost always happen? From the look of things, GS did their big drop just BEFORE Christmas with that 12/22 drop.

Thanks for continuing the thread. I do miss the glory days of being stickied though :( Hopefully BB will penny out their HUGE collection of holiday guides soon and we can achieve a small semblance of our former glory.

Hopefully some news of BB guides will come in sometime soon... I plan on making a trip there tonight.

Thanks for maintaining this thread, IATCG.

I've never had luck with any Gamecrazy drops, always denied; mediocre luck at GS; and 100% luck at Best Buy.

Heatdolphin and Rocko are maintaining the Wiki, shieryda, though if you want a complete current list, simply c/p post 2 of the thread.

You're welcome, Caliburn. And again, thanks to floormat, I can add threads 3 and 4 to the main post, so just in case someone along the line updating the Wiki may have missed a guide, you can flip through those threads and find the missing ones.

EDIT: Added links to what floormat believes ARE threads 3 and 4. Looking for possible links to the first two threads, if they still exist.

[quote name='shieryda']Who is updating Wiki? Just want to make sure the recent drops are updated on there, before I print the list.

Thanks![/quote]

I am along with some other fellow. I added all of the latest Game Crazy drops a few days ago, so it should be current.

[quote name='Rocko']I am along with some other fellow. I added all of the latest Game Crazy drops a few days ago, so it should be current.[/quote]

The drops from Jan. 5?

Thanks, Rocko.

[quote name='shieryda']Who is updating Wiki? Just want to make sure the recent drops are updated on there, before I print the list.

Thanks![/quote]

I also update the wiki. everything is up to date

I'd like to pick up a Wild Arms 5 guide, but there aren't any Gamecrazies near me. If anybody manages to pick one up, PM me and maybe we can work something out.

[quote name='Monroeski']I'd like to pick up a Wild Arms 5 guide, but there aren't any Gamecrazies near me. If anybody manages to pick one up, PM me and maybe we can work something out.[/quote]
Please READ the first post of this thread.

Ops please delete my post after this one is deleted....

Had to dig to find this one, since I didn't see a link to it in the thread before it closed. Did I mention the Windwaker guide is $3.99 at GC? Quite the bargain.

weird thing yesterday - I went and found 2 RE4 Wii guides at a gamestop I frequent, and they were marked at $5 in the system, should I still grab them?

[quote name='Visc']weird thing yesterday - I went and found 2 RE4 Wii guides at a gamestop I frequent, and they were marked at $5 in the system, should I still grab them?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a decent deal for $5. I know I'd pick one up for $5 if I found it at the local GS.

OK, I was out and out lied to, as usual, at a further away GS today. I found copies of the guides for Warhawk and Clive Barker's Jericho on the shelf and had them PC'd, using my usual excuse of 'my one friend got these for such n such a price, I was wondering if they were the same price or lower'.

I could tell they lied, since both clerks looked at one another and agreed(after a 2-3 second lapse) that both were full price still. Plus, they stashed the guides behind the counter, instead of asking me to put them back on the shelf if they're still full price.

I also saw copies of the Hellgate London and one of the racing guides that dropped(either Forza 2 or PGR 4).

I should know better than to try for guides at any stores(even ones 30-40 miles away)that're still in my local GS DM's district. Now, if this were in NY state, where I've had tons of luck before while on a trip to an auto auction, I might've walked out with a handful of guides.

Oh and FYI, I've seen copies of the Gears Of War guide for 360 marked @ both $4.99 and $19.99. Just in case any of you can't grab a copy and want one, they SHOULD ring up the $4.99 price.

[quote name='rarebucky']Add this to the GC list - Animal Crossing Wild World. Picked it up today.[/quote]AC:WW is not pennied out at my GC. Had a trusted employee check their system.

[quote name='guinaevere']
Just make sure it's the 360 version, as you say. The new PC version was released more recently and is full price.
[/quote]

The PC version of Gears of War is indeed pennied out at EB/GS.(sorry if I forgot to mention it, if it hadn't already been mentioned) SKU: 871880

Just noticed that the LOZ:pH, Super mario Galaxy and Assassin's Creed guides were dropped to $10.00 at Gamestop.
Not a penny, but since most of us cannot get them for a penny anymore this is the next best thing until BB does their thing.

[quote name='dragonjud']Just noticed that the LOZ:pH, Super mario Galaxy and Assassin's Creed guides were dropped to $10.00 at Gamestop.
Not a penny, but since most of us cannot get them for a penny anymore this is the next best thing until BB does their thing.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that only the regular edition of galaxy was dropped to $10. I also noticed that the regular edition of Mass Effect dropped to the same price. I just wish the LE versions would have dropped a little too.

I was going to second Animal Crossing not being a penny at Game Crazy.

Its 14.99.

Has anyone else been having a lot of problems getting penny guides from Game Crazy all of a sudden? I've been rejected on large piles of guides 3 times now, and the rest of the stores I've been too have only had a few guides out, or already cleaned house.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Removed AC:WW from the GC drop list, since it was verified as NOT pennying/zeroing by a second CAG. Thanks for the clarification everyone.[/QUOTE]

Odd. It definitely was zeroed out at my GC. We have a YMMV penny guide here.

I wonder if it was just pennied or zeroed for the one person and at the other store, someone did an override on the price or just SAID it was full price. I know we have a bunch from GC on here, but I am not 100% sure how many of you work there aside from a couple I've seen post about working there.

I know at the local GS stores, it's not impossible to have a 'ymmv guide', since many just blurt out the original cover price whenever the guides come up .01.

Well, in my case, I had a couple other guides looked up at the same time. "Yes, pennied...yes, pennied...yes, zeroed...(looks up ACWW) no, $14.99...yes, zeroed...".

I only deal w/ one specific employee at that location, since he's the one willing to look up anything in the system for me and spend a lot of time searching the stacks in the back for pennied/zeroed guides. He doesn't have a DS. And some guides that were pennied out that he was really interested in he gave to me anyway, even when I told him he could have it. The ACWW guide wasn't in stock anyhow. I trust the guy. Can't think of any reason why he'd lie specifically on that guide when he's been truthful w/ me w/ everything else.

He earned an MVP subscription from me during this last drop that I'll never use, but, hey, scratch my back, I scratch yours.

I dropped by this one GS today and noticed that the Persona 3 guide got dropped to $10 with a lot of those other ones. I picked this up since it was the last copy.

I don't see this posted in this thread, so if you guys already know about it forgive me.

2 Circuit City's I've been in the last couple of weeks for the $8.96 clearances have had "1/2 OFF ALL GUIDES" signs posted in the game section and over the guide section. It's a photocopy or printout white sheet of paper with a pic of the Zelda Twilight Princess Guide, Uncharted and one other one.

This was going on as of Monday, and apparently in the coming CC advertisement it's going to be listed in there. But it's going on now.

This was at the Culver City (Slauson and Sepulveda) and mid city Los Angeles(on La Cienega) Circuit City locations.

I picked up a Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness guide for $9.99 from Gamestop today. Sure, it's not a penny, but this is one of those rare guides I'd be happy to drop $10 on. Plus, it was in very good shape (unlike most of their guides) and it was the last one left.

[quote name='62t']can someone please post the SKU for the Persona 3 guide? Thanks[/quote]

from my receipt....I believe it is: 281719

So, here are the guides known to be $9.99 at Gamestop. Are any of them worth a pick up at that price besides Persona 3 and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness?

Persona 3
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Blue Dragon
Assassin's Creed
Beowulf
Legend of Zelda: PH
Halo 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect
Need for Speed: Pro Street
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
The Golden Compass
Rock Band

[quote name='ZerotypeX']from my receipt....I believe it is: 281719[/QUOTE]
I think thats the SKU for the game and not the guide.

I think we'll see a major drop from BB in a week or two, at the start of the new month, like always. Maybe AC:WW will finally drop, along with NSMB and Nintendogs?

Or maybe the non LE version of the God Of War II guide will finally drop to .01 with its stickered UPC.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have the page favorite placed on IE already, so that I know I won't miss any possible drops. Hell, I think that's how I found out about the last BB drop before almost everyone else.

I was going to add a link to the page with ALL the guides listed on ONE page, going low to high, to the original post of this thread. But, I figured there may be some who still aren't on high speed and it'd take forever with 50+ guides to load.[/QUOTE]

Great idea. I'm going to go ahead and link it here, however, I give the credit for the idea to YOU.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...~cabcat0700000##0##19r~~ncabcat0711000##0##1q

For the rest of you, put on your big boy pants and go here and look for yourself so you don't have to ask every single, rotten, lousy week "did any guides drop?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back