What are your favorite party board games?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
Right now my favorite board game is Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. We pop on the Last Crusade soundtrack and get a big fire going for ambiance. We played by the lantern last time (power outage). Pretty fun.

If you've never played it, it's basically a simple board game with the main action taking place as you try and poach rare cards from each other to build a set of the Staff, the Map Room and the Ark. I first played it in 1981 and later bought a mint unopened set on eBay for around $60. Well worth it for how many times we've played it.

indiana_jones_from_raiders_of_the_lost_ark.bmp

Honorable mention:

Fireball island -- "3-D adventure board game" -- not a lot of strategy but it's fun when the volcano "launches" and takes out several players in one fell swoop.
MB_Fireball-Island_4708_game_web.jpg

Guesstures... even tho-ugh there is no board.

My wife and I love Trivia Pursuit but we can't be on the same team because we are too good at it.

Cranium, although we played so much of that over the span of a couple years that we've mostly burnt out on it and don't play much these days.

Electronic Catchphrase is damn fun and goes quickly. I've played both the old version and the electronic version and the electronic version really makes things much easier and cleaner.

We're big on party games since we tend to turn them into spirits related showdowns. Apples to Apples has been a big hit with us for that reason. It's quick and easy to remember the rules when you've had a few bevies. If you've not heard of it or checked it out www.playyourredcard.com gives you an idea of what it's all about.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Not a board game, but Apples to Apples is the shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_to_Apples[/quote]
seconded. It's more of a psychology experiment than a random game. How well do you know your friends?
[quote name='javeryh']Guesstures... even tho-ugh there is no board.

My wife and I love Trivia Pursuit but we can't be on the same team because we are too good at it.[/quote]
It's the same with my brother and I. The rest of the family won't even play us unless we're both there and on different teams. It's the same with most trivia games including Scene It!

Apples to Apples, Monopoly, Risk, Yahtzee (well, that's not a board game, but...) and Scrabble.

Just don't ever play Diplomacy. That game is a good way to ruin parties and lose friends.

I was recently introduced to Apples to Apples and thought it was great. However I'm always up for a game of Axis & Allies.

There's only one party game: Sorry

The game REQUIRES you to be a dick to the other players. It doesn't get much better than that.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Apples to Apples, Monopoly, Risk, Yahtzee (well, that's not a board game, but...) and Scrabble.

Just don't ever play Diplomacy. That game is a good way to ruin parties and lose friends.[/quote]

I came here to say if you have seven hours and seven people (you plus 6 friends) Diplomacy is great. I probably haven't played it in about 7 years though (I wish I could get the time and the people together).

I'm also a fan of Settlers of Catan and Munchkin (card game). I suppose if you don't want to be a total geek then Apples to Apples is a good choice.

[quote name='jlseal']There's only one party game: Sorry

The game REQUIRES you to be a dick to the other players. It doesn't get much better than that.[/quote]

Sorry is just re-branded Parcheesi.

The last board game me and my friends ever played was Fortress America, which was like three years ago. Never heard about it before until one day my friend brings out. Guess it is from the 80s or something.

pic290658_md.jpg

Scattergories. You need people who can think outside the box. I can't believe I once lost a point because they wouldn't accept Fidel Castro for the category "Presidents."

Taboo and Guesstures are good too.

[quote name='WaTony']I second that, with the right crowd (smart sense of humor) this game is the shit.[/quote]

thirded! had a huge game going at a friend's party a few weeks ago.

Munchkins... Might not be for every party though, only for geeks that play D&D :)

Also Apples to Apples is pretty fun I think

I've had a lot of fun with Quelf. If you've never heard of it, it's a weird one. Basically, you've got several types of cards that you draw from depending on the color you land on. Some are trivia, some make you perform a stunt, but the best are the Rule cards. They basically govern how you act during the game, for example, I had one that required me to be 5 feet back from the board when I rolled the dice. It gets pretty crazy, so if you have several friends that don't mind looking stupid for most of the game, I highly recommend it.

Here's a page about it on BoardGameGeek.com: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19370

Even though I doubt anything could beat Strip Checkers ('cept maybe hot-oil Twister), I'm amazed no one has said Settlers of Catan. Best daggum game ever.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Even though I doubt anything could beat Strip Checkers ('cept maybe hot-oil Twister), I'm amazed no one has said Settlers of Catan. Best daggum game ever.[/quote]
If you look two posts above the Strip Checkers you'll see that someone did mention it. :)

[quote name='GuyWithGun']If you look two posts above the Strip Checkers you'll see that someone did mention it. :)[/quote]

I know, which is why I was referencing it. ;)

[quote name='neocisco']Taboo

I'm an absolute beast at this game. Who wants some?[/QUOTE]

I've been playing that a lot recently and after a while you start repeating the same cards over and over again and it loses appeal.

You know the almost extinct card expansion pack runs for about $50 on ebay?

I'm big on Apples to Apples. I never really dug on the long winded classic games. Simple (since it reflects my inability to retain much of an attention span. Thanks tv!!).

Uhhh.....what was I saying again?

Oh yeah, Apples to Apples...all good.

www.playyourredcard.com is a good place to check it.

Just played Apples to Apples.. there is huge potential there... the card "lucky" was played and I won with the card "Anne Frank".. Wrong but funny...

[quote name='JolietJake']I just noticed something, why the hell does Indy have a mustache on the cover of that game?[/QUOTE]

raidersofthelostark2sx9.jpg

Apples 2 Apples is as good as everyone else says. A must own. I too enjoy the classics like Monopoly.

I also love Carcassonne. Obviously, it's great on XBLA for no cleanup, but I got the Big Box of it for my fiance and it came with a bunch of expansion packs, and it's fun if you have the time to sit down and play it with all the added tiles.

bread's done
Back