Cheapy's favorite japanese beer?

variablesunknown

CAGiversary!
I remember cheapy being asked this question a long time ago from the cagbag, does anyone remember his answer?

I don't think it was asahi or sapporo, could it have been kirin ichiban? Anyone know? If cheapy is reading this could you answer the question again? Thanks Cags!

I love going to BevMo and trying different beers from round' the world and I have to say that Kirin Ichiban is pretty good, not complex but a really smooth drinking beer. I'll have to try Asahi and Sapporo.

I really like Kirin Ichiban, but on the bottle it says it's brewed in the U.S. WTF? Am I deluding myself when I buy this?

I am bummed that Ichiban is brewed by anheuser-busch, maybe it is fake japanese beer. Tastes better than any other American mega-beer.

Also, does anyone else love Sake? Have any favorite brands?

Here are my favorites:
Yebisu_Large.jpg
KirinIchiban.jpg
Asahi%2033%20cl.jpg

[quote name='ma']I really like Kirin Ichiban, but on the bottle it says it's brewed in the U.S. WTF? Am I deluding myself when I buy this?[/quote]I believe that they buy the recipe from the original company and then just brew it themselves. However, I'd imagine the Japanese version has a higher alcohol content. Most Japanese beer is 5.5% and I believe most American beer is around 3.5%.

On average, American beer is about 5%; however, most lights/lites are closer to 4%. The problem being some states place a limit on alcohol content by volume for beer. Some prissy, goody-two-shoe states limit it at 4%, while other more civilized states allow 6% (could be wrong on that, might be 5%).

As soon as I saw the thread title I began craving Yebisu. Man - the one sushi place we go to regularly no longer carries it b/c the distributor dropped it (no market for it, sadly).

Guess I may go on a liquor store hunt tonight.

They don't have many choices but I do like Japanese beer in general, it always goes well with food. Yebisu is my favorite.

I like Hitachino Nest beers, particularly the White Ale. A few of the local bars here carry it, and I get it every now and then when I'm not looking to get hammered.
image_white.jpg

[quote name='CheapyD']I believe that they buy the recipe from the original company and then just brew it themselves. However, I'd imagine the Japanese version has a higher alcohol content. Most Japanese beer is 5.5% and I believe most American beer is around 3.5%.[/QUOTE]

Well, the U.S. web site says it's 4.95% so we're not getting too robbed. :)

I like Sapporo. I enjoy sake as well, although like other wines, I don't really know enough about them to appreciate subtleties among similar types.

Luckily I have the rest of my life to experience and learn... :beer:

[quote name='SeanNOLA']I like Hitachino Nest beers [/quote]

Yes Hitachino Nest Beers rock, I just had an XH for the first time last week and it was good. I like the Red Rice the best so far of what I have had. Asahi is the best Japanesesbeer that I have had all around.

Someone asked about Sake I too am a fan, but I have no favorite brand.

bread's done
Back