Gamestop destroyed all the unsold PS1 games. Dinobot sad :(

dinobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
195 (99%)
Dinobot found out from inside source that gamestop had destroyed all the PS1 games that were not sold.

Probably nothing good left, but still makes dinobot very sad.

Had a store dinobot meant to check out for a while but did not have time.

DOH!!!

Well, its things like these I don't get, why destroy them? like the penny guides~ why?

oh and i spoke in third person b/c it was fun~~ :lol::lol:

The penny guides usually have the covers torn off and are sent back to the publishers for a refund so there is some justification there

However with the PS1 games there really is no justification, why not just put them in a bin and sell them for a buck each, people would buy.

Also, the guides tend to get recycled, aside from the cover. Games though.. thats fucking stupid. Unless it was like 50 copies of Madden, thats just... ugh.

[quote name='georox']Also, the guides tend to get recycled, aside from the cover. Games though.. thats fucking stupid. Unless it was like 50 copies of Madden, thats just... ugh.[/QUOTE]

hey 50 maddens equal 50 frisbees or coasters

I had the feeling this was going to happen when I saw one game stop selling their PS1 sports games for 75% off....leading to picking up titles at 5 to 25 cents a pop!\\:D/

[quote name='ITDEFX']I had the feeling this was going to happen when I saw one game stop selling their PS1 sports games for 75% off....leading to picking up titles at 5 to 25 cents a pop!\\:D/[/QUOTE]

the ps1 games had been 75% for a long time

yea after they are down to .25 each there isnt much else that could be done with them. why have them taking floorspace when they could put something else there that would make more $.

they really should not take in sports games after stores have too many copy.
surely they know it will not sell after 2+ years.

the way games were placed in the boxes, for sure there were some good games shredded~~ :(

[quote name='nativetongue88']yea after they are down to .25 each there isnt much else that could be done with them. why have them taking floorspace when they could put something else there that would make more $.[/quote]

man... they were down to .25 each?

crap, i should've went on the hunt~

[quote name='dinobot']man... they were down to .25 each?

crap, i should've went on the hunt~[/quote]

not all the games were .25 cents, but just about everything was .25-.75 after being 75% off.

Did Dinobot not destroy the golden disc before it fell into the hands of the Decepticons right before he died? ¬_¬

I think the world's better off not having over 9000 copies or Madden '94 or NFL Gameday.

1001071229.jpg

I say I cleaned out 20% of that back in October of 2007. They had quite a few dreamcast 2k sports titles too.

big retailers usually do these type of things. kinda sucks cause its a waste of money but i guess when they're 90% off you really not loosing much specially if most of them are sports titles. abercrombie & fitch used to destroy clothes that didnt sell at certain sale or clearances. i think this is before they had an outlet store. same with big name designer labels...

i think "destroyed" is an umbrella term, sometimes it doesn't literally mean that the item is thrown to a giant compactor, but maybe "destroyed" means just that the item has been cleared out, some could be donated, some employees took them, maybe even make arts and crafts out of them...

Yeah, I honestly don't think any one would've wanted to take those but they could've done something better than destroy them. Like, make the world's largest stack of old disc only games.

[quote name='dinobot']they really should not take in sports games after stores have too many copy.
surely they know it will not sell after 2+ years.

the way games were placed in the boxes, for sure there were some good games shredded~~ :([/quote]

I've found numerous non-Madden or other sports games by looking thoroughly through the PS1 racks at my local Gamestop dump store before. But unfortunately, a couple hoarders came in and bought hundreds of dollars of games soon after they started getting in MORE games from yet another district to add to the pile of crap that was all but unsellable.

Of course, I only ever did find 3 discs of the 4 discs for Wing Commander IV and ONE disc of the Arc The Lad Collection, so the tougher to find ones typically weren't complete, even when I was finding them.

Now, if that trick to order backordered stuff from GS' site would only end up netting me some harder to find games that I could take back to the local store, get a full refund for, then rebuy @ the 75% off price, I'd even try that trick.

The Gamestops (well they were EB's at the time, they just switched their names within the year) around here stopped selling PS1 games about two years ago. I remember my mall one was the last to have any. They had one copy of Resident Evil: Director's Cut and about 12 of Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

As of last weekend, there are still plenty of PS1 games at the Old Saybrook, CT store. Nothing amazing, but not all sports titles or anything. Some are even sealed but marked as used.

...and here's an interesting thought experiment...

...what percentage of CAGs do you think would dig through a dumpster, if GS simply threw out the games, instead of trashing them?

[quote name='garfep']As of last weekend, there are still plenty of PS1 games at the Old Saybrook, CT store. Nothing amazing, but not all sports titles or anything. Some are even sealed but marked as used.[/quote]

How far is that from Canton?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']...and here's an interesting thought experiment...

...what percentage of CAGs do you think would dig through a dumpster, if GS simply threw out the games, instead of trashing them?[/quote]

I've thought about it during any of the GOOD guide drops, but since there's a Subway next door to the only Gamestop whose dumpster I'd even think of diving in(one of the others locally is in a strip mall with a piercing/tattoo place), I figured maybe they share a dumpster or dump in each others and the stuff would be trashed/ruined.

Have I EVER dumpster dived though? I did, but back when the one local college would let out for summer, the kids would just put all their stuff in HUGE piles on the curb. There was always lots of game systems/games and other usable electronics left behind. I scored about 60 Atari 2600 games the one year from just ONE bin.

First off, good riddance. I never liked seeing piles of shit when i walked into GS, not that i walk in there that often. But i mean hell, fools have had plenty of time to go through the stacks to find that diamond in the pile of shit. GS stopped taking ps1 games in trade long ago, so you cant say you never had a crack at them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] Have I EVER dumpster dived though? I did, but back when the one local college would let out for summer, the kids would just put all their stuff in HUGE piles on the curb. I scored about 60 Atari 2600 games the one year from just ONE bin.[/QUOTE]

WTF@atari 2600. are you 50 years old? hell i thought i was a dinosaur on this site

Actually, I'm 33 and had my 2600 hooked up until I FINALLY upgraded to a Genesis. I completely skipped the 8-bit era, but went back later and got an NES and played the crap out of SMB till I was sick of it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I'm 33 and had my 2600 hooked up until I FINALLY upgraded to a Genesis. I completely skipped the 8-bit era, but went back later and got an NES and played the crap out of SMB till I was sick of it.[/quote]
I'd still have my 2600 hooked up if I had an sdtv. Video Pinball kicks major butt.

[quote name='greydemise']i think "destroyed" is an umbrella term, sometimes it doesn't literally mean that the item is thrown to a giant compactor, but maybe "destroyed" means just that the item has been cleared out, some could be donated, some employees took them, maybe even make arts and crafts out of them...[/quote]

No, it means destroyed.

Book stores strip books of their covers and then throw the books away. when I was in college I worked at a bookstore and had to strip shit every week, employees got first dibs on stuff to keep, but the rest went into the dumpster. Take a look at a paperback and open it and read the first page where its got all the legal shit, theres usually a line that says "If you purchased this book without a cover..." Hell, Ive seen Gamestop employees SMASHING PS1s with a hammer before.

Its a sad practice in the retail industry, rather than donate, most companies destroy otherwise useless merchandise. Or they ship shit to Guatemala or places like that.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge'] Hell, Ive seen Gamestop employees SMASHING PS1s with a hammer before.[/QUOTE]

they ought to let the customers have a turn with the sledgehammer, charge like $1 per swing.

i'll buy that for a dollar

[quote name='greydemise']i think "destroyed" is an umbrella term, sometimes it doesn't literally mean that the item is thrown to a giant compactor, but maybe "destroyed" means just that the item has been cleared out, some could be donated, some employees took them, maybe even make arts and crafts out of them...[/quote]
well, considering they used box cutters to rip through clothes, or most of the time they burn them.. i think you can safely say that thats destroying the product. and technically, employees are not supposed to take them. they would rather sell them to you. but it depends on the managers..

true story.. this is about 2 years ago when i worked for retail. stores next to use are potterybarn, victoria secret, chicos and william sonoma. aside from victoria's secret, the other stores are pretty high end stores. i got to know the supervisor at potterybarn and he used to throw displays or sample furnitures. so he gave me a few chairs, lamps, and some mirrors. they are supposed to destroy them or donate them but its much easier for them to just rid of it in the trash. ive probably gotten around $5,000-$7,000 worth of furnitures from them.

another time is when victoria's secret had all those holiday lotion, perfumes, etc.. one day i was throwin the trash to the dumpster and saw boxes of them. it was sick to think they just threw them out. we're talkin more than $4,000 worth of personal care products. some of them spilled out but i got the most of it. i even found holiday cds still unopened from their boxes. i shared the haul with all my co-workers but the rest i sold made around $300.. i sold the cds just this past holiday for $10 each.

too bad though, i heard the day before, Chicos threw out boxes of holiday clothing, untouched and still in plastic. and a day before that Hallmark got rid of their holiday plushies. good times..

I definitely need a refresher course, but from what I remember of my accounting courses, this is probably to write-off inventory at full value to offset some of their profits.

The worker at my local EB that is actualy cool told me that they have to totaly destory stuff before it goes into the dumpster because a dumpster diver got hurt and sued one of the companies that is now a part of EB and they don't want that to happen again.

I think it depends on the store, around here there are so many stores that if soemthing dosent sell they send it to a store across town that they think will sell it. but if something is in the system for too long they destroy it...like all those Donkey Konga bundles that were on the shelves for so long tehy got marked down to $19.99. Then destroyed....

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Hell, Ive seen Gamestop employees SMASHING PS1s with a hammer before.[/QUOTE]

... they were trying to fix it. :joystick:

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']...and here's an interesting thought experiment...

...what percentage of CAGs do you think would dig through a dumpster, if GS simply threw out the games, instead of trashing them?[/QUOTE]

I would do it however there would have to be no legal consequences and basically no chance of getting caught. The Gamestop here is stand alone so it would likely just be stuff from the store in the dumpster. I would also have to know that the games would be there

[quote name='SaraAB']I would do it however there would have to be no legal consequences and basically no chance of getting caught. The Gamestop here is stand alone so it would likely just be stuff from the store in the dumpster. I would also have to know that the games would be there[/quote]
Unless it's posted "No Trespassing", you'd probably be safe legally the first time you got caught. You'd just have to act all "Ohh, I didn't know this wasn't allowed, sorry." Always remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

[quote name='QiG']I definitely need a refresher course, but from what I remember of my accounting courses, this is probably to write-off inventory at full value to offset some of their profits.[/quote]
I've always wondered if the goods are worth more destroyed than donated.

[quote name='Sinnbox']The worker at my local EB that is actualy cool told me that they have to totaly destory stuff before it goes into the dumpster because a dumpster diver got hurt and sued one of the companies that is now a part of EB and they don't want that to happen again. [/quote]
:whistle2:s#-o:headache::censored:
People like that ruin dumpster diving for the rest of us.

Very interesting topic. Hell if I knew I could make some good scratch off the tossed stuff, I would dumpster dive. But I'm way too busy to go around doing that, especially since the chances of being in the right place at the right time to score big are next to none. It's not like you're going to find complete PS1 RPGs, SNES RPGs, etc.

I definitely wish I had some retail insiders to give me the 411 on uber scores, hell the employees should just take all the stuff they are supposed to destroy and resell it themselves. Call it a "fringe benefit". The damn retailers couldn't get it sold, so instead of allowing anyone to have it or even for them to get a tax writeoff by donating, they just destroy it.

Someone should start another Shopping Discussion topic about dumpster diving, I can only imagine the scores that have been found.

Me and my dad dumpster dive all the time. That's how we make all our money. We've come out with loads well over $1000. (Loads of what, I won't say. ;) Nothing illegal though.)

another place that destroys really awesome stuff is chuck e cheese. my bro used to work for them and he hates it when they decide to get rid of an arcade. hes seen some awesome cabinets in mint condition (i think a neo geo cabinet at one point), destroyed. they take them by the dumpster and beat the shit out of them til its gone. and while they're on their mission to do so, someone takes pictures of them doing it to send to corporate so they have confirmation i guess that it is fully destroyed.

[quote name='karkyco']Very interesting topic. Hell if I knew I could make some good scratch off the tossed stuff, I would dumpster dive. But I'm way too busy to go around doing that, especially since the chances of being in the right place at the right time to score big are next to none. It's not like you're going to find complete PS1 RPGs, SNES RPGs, etc.

I definitely wish I had some retail insiders to give me the 411 on uber scores, hell the employees should just take all the stuff they are supposed to destroy and resell it themselves. Call it a "fringe benefit". The damn retailers couldn't get it sold, so instead of allowing anyone to have it or even for them to get a tax writeoff by donating, they just destroy it.

Someone should start another Shopping Discussion topic about dumpster diving, I can only imagine the scores that have been found.[/quote]

That's what the one Best Buy employee here did for a while, she grabbed every game and guide that pennied there and resold them on Ebay.

[quote name='karkyco']
Someone should start another Shopping Discussion topic about dumpster diving, I can only imagine the scores that have been found.[/quote]
we should.. but with caution though, as some states i think it is illegal to dumpster dive. but we should have this guy start the thread, since he could be an expert on the topic :lol:
[quote name='Access_Denied']Me and my dad dumpster dive all the time. That's how we make all our money. We've come out with loads well over $1000. (Loads of what, I won't say. ;) Nothing illegal though.)[/quote]

[quote name='phear3d']another place that destroys really awesome stuff is chuck e cheese. my bro used to work for them and he hates it when they decide to get rid of an arcade. hes seen some awesome cabinets in mint condition (i think a neo geo cabinet at one point), destroyed. they take them by the dumpster and beat the shit out of them til its gone. and while they're on their mission to do so, someone takes pictures of them doing it to send to corporate so they have confirmation i guess that it is fully destroyed.[/quote]

If I saw someone in the act of doing this, I'd be the guy sneaking up behind em before they got their first hit in with a large blunt object, then you'd see people fall over and me dragging an arcade unit to a nearby vehicle with out of state tags....

Anyways reminds me, my uncle worked for a retail store, and nearly *everything* they had to "destroy" he would just keep. He had interesting garage sales and gifts for people at holidays.

[quote name='QiG']I definitely need a refresher course, but from what I remember of my accounting courses, this is probably to write-off inventory at full value to offset some of their profits.[/quote]

Yeah it's impaired.

And I would totally dumpster dive for old games if given the opportunity. It'd be great if the GS in question was located as far from the food court as possible.

bread's done
Back