Gamestop destroyed all the unsold PS1 games. Dinobot sad :(

I know the employees at a local store are going to be ecstatic at destroying the hundreds of sports games for PS1 that never sold at that store! I cleared out anything of value (Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross, Tales of Destiny, more) long ago.

The only things I weep for are all those pristine cases with Madden 97 and other sports games. I guess people traded them in too quickly to have the case destroyed?

I never knew it is illegal to dumpster dive, would really like to know what the logic is behind this.

The only thing I can think of is to keep the homeless from making good money and become rich off dumpster diving~ :applause::applause::applause:

Destroying software is something most retailers do. If for some reason we have software in my store that is pennied out, it has to be "destroyed". It is a rare occurance though, because we often send back software before teh return date has passed, most software sells once it is reduced, and it takes a hella long time for software to penny out where I work.

[quote name='dinobot']I never knew it is illegal to dumpster dive, would really like to know what the logic is behind this.

The only thing I can think of is to keep the homeless from making good money and become rich off dumpster diving~ :applause::applause::applause:[/quote]

This is in no way related to my earlier post. ;)

But, there's a break storage warehouse down the street from where I live. (Bimbo bread) Anyway, they used to throw out perfectly good food. (Not just break, but snacks and stuff too.) Well, we used to just reach in the dumspter, and pull out what we wanted. It was perfectly good food, and wasn't opened or anything. And one day, the manager seen us in the dumpster. He told us that we didn't have to do that anymore. He said that any time we wanted, to just walk in the warehouse, and we could take stuff from the 'about to be thrown away' pile. Well, we did this for about 2 years. Then, one day, he told us that Illinois passed a law where we couldn't do it anymore. He told us he didn't like it either, as homeless people used to be able to eat that food. But now, it's against the law to take it. They even have to lock their dumpster when they aren't using it.

Bottom line: dumpster diving shouldn't be illegal. If you aren't going to use it, why can't we?

I snagged all the good stuff around here (nothing spectacular Crash Team Racing was the best) also on the legality of dumpster diving, I think it comes down to the location of the dumpster aka who's property the dumpster is on (you are able to go through neighbors trashcans if they are on the sidewalk or the street since they are public property).

Some of my friends and I go through and snag magazines that Borders ditches...dumpster diving is grand!

I think it's absolutely horrid that you have to deny homeless people food because it's against the law to "dumpster dive". How stupid.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I snagged all the good stuff around here (nothing spectacular Crash Team Racing was the best) also on the legality of dumpster diving, I think it comes down to the location of the dumpster aka who's property the dumpster is on [Bold](you are able to go through neighbors trashcans if they are on the sidewalk or the street since they are public property).[/Bold]

Some of my friends and I go through and snag magazines that Borders ditches...dumpster diving is grand![/quote]

Ya back in college I would scope out the neighborhood the night before trashday and find some awsome stuuf and have my roomates help haul it back to the house...Great computer Desk, 24 inch TV...untill our landlord grabbed a awsome La-z-boy that smelled like crap....we found a dead cat in it a week later....

[quote name='Sinnbox']Ya back in college I would scope out the neighborhood the night before trashday and find some awsome stuuf and have my roomates help haul it back to the house...Great computer Desk, 24 inch TV...untill our landlord grabbed a awsome La-z-boy that smelled like crap....we found a dead cat in it a week later....[/quote]
And to think, all this time the people that threw it out probably wondered where Fluffy ran off to.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Ya back in college I would scope out the neighborhood the night before trashday and find some awsome stuuf and have my roomates help haul it back to the house...Great computer Desk, 24 inch TV...untill our landlord grabbed a awsome La-z-boy that smelled like crap....we found a dead cat in it a week later....[/quote]

EWWWW! LOL

Dumpster diving is one thing, but scoping out trash from neighborhood is weird... lol, I can never do it, makes me feel like a racoon diggin for food in trash at night.

The bed thing is messed up! at least he didn't find a dead body in it! :lol::lol:

I wonder if this was a company wide mandate now, since I think Rollett works for Gamestop(not sure) and Dinobot mentioned them destroying the unsold PS1 games.

I hope not, since I wasn't done picking through the remnants at the only dump store around here.

[quote name='dinobot']EWWWW! LOL

Dumpster diving is one thing, but scoping out trash from neighborhood is weird... lol, I can never do it, makes me feel like a racoon diggin for food in trash at night.

The bed thing is messed up! at least he didn't find a dead body in it! :lol::lol:[/quote]

I never scoped out the trash untill i saw a good TV stting on the curb one night. my landlord was all about getting stuff...he would pick up free stuff anywhere....he once yelled at me for throwing a taco in the tash and then picked it out and ate it...little did he know that a visitor had puked a galon of water in teh same trashcan thet night before after trying the gallon of water in 20 minutes challenge.

I wanna call BS on this! lol
:bs:

[quote name='Sinnbox']I never scoped out the trash untill i saw a good TV stting on the curb one night. my landlord was all about getting stuff...he would pick up free stuff anywhere....he once yelled at me for throwing a taco in the tash and then picked it out and ate it...little did he know that a visitor had puked a galon of water in teh same trashcan thet night before after trying the gallon of water in 20 minutes challenge.[/quote]

[quote name='mguiddy']Unless it's posted "No Trespassing", you'd probably be safe legally the first time you got caught. You'd just have to act all "Ohh, I didn't know this wasn't allowed, sorry." Always remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

[/quote]

This answers questions about dumpster diving. I don't think digging through trash is illegal. Once it's tossed out there it becomes public domain. The problem comes when the dumpster is located on private property.

I talked to someone who worked for CEC and yes they do throw out arcade games, however I was told that the games they throw out are well beyond being usable and well beyond repair, so basically they are just scrapping junk, every arcade does it. Also I doubt they are scrapping as much as they used to, arcade games are bigger and more expensive to purchase now, and the kids are demanding more interactive games than before which means more expensive games, its not like you can go buy an upright game for 3k new anymore, that is rare nowadays. Also you cannot convert the new games into another game. The games at my CEC are things like super deluxe versions of Club kart and wasteland racers, which are expensive to purchase, so I doubt they would scrap them unless they were really in deplorable, unusable condition, the locations here seem to run the games to the ground so I really don't think they are scrapping new, working machines here. It could vary by location though.

Think about it though, those kids in CEC REALLY beat on those games in there, do you really think this equipment is usable after they are done with it, I doubt it.

[quote name='Samus']I think it's absolutely horrid that you have to deny homeless people food because it's against the law to "dumpster dive". How stupid.[/quote]

Have you ever had to clean up one of those dumpster the homeless are diving in ? Dout it, Because its a massive mess... NORMALY they dont do it nicely like people on here are problably doing.. they just check everything out of the can around the containers then leave.

@IAmTheCheapestGamer, Yeah it was a company wide destroy of PS1 games.. Controlers and Mem Cards, And yeah your on to me i work at GS.. in a store i wish half of the cagers could visit...
P.S I dont think its gonna be till the end of the year but Gameboy/GBA color destroy is coming too. (Personal opinion)

Well the main reason with dumpster diving is that it's invasion of privacy to an extent. How would you like it if someone looked in your garbage and took old bills or found tons of soiled underwear? On top of that, people who look through trash aren't going to be neat about it like was mentioned. Do you wanna be the one to do the clean up everyday on a dumpster just because someone was curious?

[quote name='davo1224']Well the main reason with dumpster diving is that it's invasion of privacy to an extent. How would you like it if someone looked in your garbage and took old bills or found tons of soiled underwear? On top of that, people who look through trash aren't going to be neat about it like was mentioned. Do you wanna be the one to do the clean up everyday on a dumpster just because someone was curious?[/quote]
Which goes back to private property and trespassing. There is no expectation of privacy on public property.

Also... stop taking Alli.;):lol:

[quote name='zedarkness']Why not just let people fucking buy them at 0.01 then be so damn cheap about it![/quote]
It's worth more to the company destroyed.

[quote name='Rollett']Have you ever had to clean up one of those dumpster the homeless are diving in ? Dout it, Because its a massive mess... NORMALY they dont do it nicely like people on here are problably doing.. they just check everything out of the can around the containers then leave.

@IAmTheCheapestGamer, Yeah it was a company wide destroy of PS1 games.. Controlers and Mem Cards, And yeah your on to me i work at GS.. in a store i wish half of the cagers could visit...
P.S I dont think its gonna be till the end of the year but Gameboy/GBA color destroy is coming too. (Personal opinion)[/quote]

Any time I've ever gone sifting around trash, be it curb crawling or dumpster diving, I've always put the other stuff I didn't take back into the dumpster.

That really sucks about them destroying the old gen stuff company wide. I was looking at a couple PS1 controllers with turbo on them just a couple weeks ago at the dump store here.

I've visited stores far and wide to look for old gen stuff, but most only had the old gen sports titles left. But, I still thoroughly looked through their entire rack of games and was hoping to find another system(even though I have 3-4 PS1's as it is). But for $5(75% off the $20 price I think they were), it'd be worth it.

Shame really....I should check the dumpster behind the local dump store this weekend, if I don't see the games on the shelf.

I hit the 3 local Gamestops last night and asked the employees about this and they verified that it was a chainwide order to destroy all of the remaining stuff, which may also explain why all of the Dreamcast entries on Gamestop.com even disappeared.

I knew I waited too long to pick up that PS1 Sony LCD monitor at a local store...it was $150 GS retail, and it was $37.50 after 75% off. Still way too much. If it had dropped to a more reasonable amount, say 90% off, I would've taken it. Still, $15...

[quote name='dinobot']oh and i spoke in third person b/c it was fun~~ :lol::lol:[/QUOTE]
I laughed. Would have been a clincher if it made the baby dinobot cry.

[quote name='Access_Denied']This is in no way related to my earlier post. ;)

But, there's a break storage warehouse down the street from where I live. (Bimbo bread) Anyway, they used to throw out perfectly good food. (Not just break, but snacks and stuff too.) Well, we used to just reach in the dumspter, and pull out what we wanted. It was perfectly good food, and wasn't opened or anything. And one day, the manager seen us in the dumpster. He told us that we didn't have to do that anymore. He said that any time we wanted, to just walk in the warehouse, and we could take stuff from the 'about to be thrown away' pile. Well, we did this for about 2 years. Then, one day, he told us that Illinois passed a law where we couldn't do it anymore. He told us he didn't like it either, as homeless people used to be able to eat that food. But now, it's against the law to take it. They even have to lock their dumpster when they aren't using it.

Bottom line: dumpster diving shouldn't be illegal. If you aren't going to use it, why can't we?[/quote]

Ban on food dumpster diving might be done for health reasons.

I mean, say all the bakery's food was thrown away one day because it was laced with Samonilla. The baker is not going to put a sign on the dumpster saying "Don't eat this rotten food today because it's going to kill you"

In your case though - the guy actually gave you the food so I don't see the issue.

[quote name='davo1224']Well the main reason with dumpster diving is that it's invasion of privacy to an extent. How would you like it if someone looked in your garbage and took old bills or found tons of soiled underwear? On top of that, people who look through trash aren't going to be neat about it like was mentioned. Do you wanna be the one to do the clean up everyday on a dumpster just because someone was curious?[/QUOTE]

Everyone should know that throwing things with your personal information out before shredding them is a bad idea and is what often leads to identity theft. I saw a show where a person went through trash at some other person's house and it was amazing the stuff they could gather from your trash.

The best time to dumpster dive imo, is right after a person throws out all their stuff after having a yard sale. Yes, please put it back when you are done though, or at least make it look like it did before you dove into it. Ive only picked through trash put out on the curb a few times, if you set something out here,usually it will be gone within the hour.

But you cant shread crusty underpants!

and that has personal information on it... like your lack of control... and DNA!

[quote name='Caliburn']I knew I waited too long to pick up that PS1 Sony LCD monitor at a local store...it was $150 GS retail, and it was $37.50 after 75% off. Still way too much. If it had dropped to a more reasonable amount, say 90% off, I would've taken it. Still, $15...[/quote]

See, that's what I was hoping for, that GS would've dropped the games/systems/peripherals a tad more to the 90% off range before dumping them completely.

But, I guess since they kept them @ 75% off for so long and the sales of all of those useless copies of Madden and the other sports games that were mainly left weren't selling, they figured why bother dropping them anymore.

I think the only reason I was buying them up was that they were not full retail and that GS was possibly losing money on each. I try to do my part whenever I can to make sure a company as 'nice' as them gets the royal shaft a bit.

[quote name='karkyco']
Someone should start another Shopping Discussion topic about dumpster diving, I can only imagine the scores that have been found.[/quote]

[quote name='phear3d']we should.. but with caution though, as some states i think it is illegal to dumpster dive. but we should have this guy start the thread, since he could be an expert on the topic :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='Access_Denied']
Me and my dad dumpster dive all the time. That's how we make all our money. We've come out with loads well over $1000. (Loads of what, I won't say. ;) Nothing illegal though.)[/quote]

Yeah, Access_Denied, we need your expertise. Please start a topic on dumpster diving, I'm sure we could even get it stickied. We want to hear tales of what you've found (and what sort of $ you've made) on your recon missions with your old man. As well as tips and tricks.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I snagged all the good stuff around here (nothing spectacular Crash Team Racing was the best) also on the legality of dumpster diving, I think it comes down to the location of the dumpster aka who's property the dumpster is on (you are able to go through neighbors trashcans if they are on the sidewalk or the street since they are public property).

Some of my friends and I go through and snag magazines that Borders ditches...dumpster diving is grand![/quote]

It generally varies state to state and even city/county to city/county.

For example, in most cities around LA (Beverly Hills, Glendale, and Pasadena to name two) as well as LA city proper, the moment your neighbor puts the trash out on the street, it is city property. This specifically applies to recyclables. However it is very rarely enforced, but you can get cited with a ticket for going through trashcans/recycling containers.

Dumpsters, I again believe it is by city/municipality/county. It definitely varies, but for the most part I believe you can be cited for trespassing at the very least, if you get caught by the cops at least. Check this story out:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-collector12mar12,1,4017370.story?page=1

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wonder if this was a company wide mandate now, since I think Rollett works for Gamestop(not sure) and Dinobot mentioned them destroying the unsold PS1 games.

I hope not, since I wasn't done picking through the remnants at the only dump store around here.[/quote]

Well, now you'll just have to resort to picking through the dump-ster at said dump-store. :whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']See, that's what I was hoping for, that GS would've dropped the games/systems/peripherals a tad more to the 90% off range before dumping them completely.

But, I guess since they kept them @ 75% off for so long and the sales of all of those useless copies of Madden and the other sports games that were mainly left weren't selling, they figured why bother dropping them anymore.

I think the only reason I was buying them up was that they were not full retail and that GS was possibly losing money on each. I try to do my part whenever I can to make sure a company as 'nice' as them gets the royal shaft a bit.[/quote]

Ahh..knowing GS trade values i doubt they were loosing money on them unless you were gettin them for less than a dollar. :)

It's crazy that they destroyed them, i could see destorying old sports stuff, Al they would have to do would be destory old sports stuff, then ship the rest to an area that sells alot of PS1 stuff.

[quote name='karkyco']It generally varies state to state and even city/county to city/county.

For example, in most cities around LA (Beverly Hills, Glendale, and Pasadena to name two) as well as LA city proper, the moment your neighbor puts the trash out on the street, it is city property. This specifically applies to recyclables. However it is very rarely enforced, but you can get cited with a ticket for going through trashcans/recycling containers.

Dumpsters, I again believe it is by city/municipality/county. It definitely varies, but for the most part I believe you can be cited for trespassing at the very least, if you get caught by the cops at least. Check this story out:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-collector12mar12,1,4017370.story?page=1

Well, now you'll just have to resort to picking through the dump-ster at said dump-store. :whistle2:#[/quote]

I just wanted to say thanks for posting a great article. :applause:

[quote name='karkyco']
Well, now you'll just have to resort to picking through the dump-ster at said dump-store. :whistle2:#[/quote]

Actually, knowing the local DM, he will take personal joy in snapping each disc in half, so no one can get 'free games' from the dumpster of the dump store.

Besides which, I'm not really in the mood to make a trip to that area(only about 15-20 miles away/15 minutes by interstate around here), only to find a dumpster loaded up with broken discs. :whistle2:#

The one manager told me that instead of shipping out some N64 stuff at one point, he simply told them to junk it out and took pliers and snapped the board inside the carts into pieces.

So yeah, he's not a friend of gamers or of anyone getting cheap or free stuff, that's for sure.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, knowing the local DM, he will take personal joy in snapping each disc in half, so no one can get 'free games' from the dumpster of the dump store.

Besides which, I'm not really in the mood to make a trip to that area(only about 15-20 miles away/15 minutes by interstate around here), only to find a dumpster loaded up with broken discs. :whistle2:#

The one manager told me that instead of shipping out some N64 stuff at one point, he simply told them to junk it out and took pliers and snapped the board inside the carts into pieces.

So yeah, he's not a friend of gamers or of anyone getting cheap or free stuff, that's for sure.[/quote]

Retards like that have no business in the VG business.

[quote name='Rollett']Well, Considering he can get fired for being a *Friend of gamers* And giving out free stuff.. i would break them to.[/quote]

I know that they can get fired for that and I definitely don't want anyone getting fired over something I usually don't want anyway. But if I see marked down stuff on the shelf, I'm still gonna try for it, even if all they tell me is 'we can't sell you it'.

Throughout the years we've had some decent employees. They'll give stuff out to ya if you ask, and I've literally walked in when someone higher up is in and they just go "Oh yea, we destroyed that." Its fun seeing an employee lie about stuff like that, but honestly its a stupid policy. I'd just toss it all in a bin and write "FREE" on it.

someone start the dumpster diving thread!!! someone who had experience!!

Inspirational---Discover-Dumpster-Diving-Poster-C12085747.jpeg

[quote name='phear3d']someone start the dumpster diving thread!!! someone who had experience!!

Inspirational---Discover-Dumpster-Diving-Poster-C12085747.jpeg

[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. :)

bread's done
Back