Cheap@$$Gamer filter!?

evilmax17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Apparently there's a filter in place now? Doesn't that seem a little hypocritical after the whole Best Buy hypocrASSy? I dunno about this one guys, censorship is never the right answer.

fuck.

fuck
Shit
Damn
Hell
Bitch
fucking

This does not look good. Cheapy could be close to selling the site or making some kind of deal.

Cheapy said that he wanted an "open" forum so these changes can only mean some kind of corporate deals.

I don't mind the censor, but I mind what it could mean.

lol, I noticed it too.
Kind of ironic that it lead me to say "What the fuck?!"

[quote name='evilmax17']Apparently there's a filter in place now? Doesn't that seem a little hypocritical after the whole Best Buy hypocrASSy? I dunno about this one guys, censorship is never the right answer. [/quote]
I was thinking the same thing about the Best Buy thing...

I also find it strange that it was done without any notice. Usually when something changes, either OKB or defender or Cheapy or somebody will make a topic pointing it out when it happens. hmmmm

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac']I also find it strange that it was done without any notice. Usually when something changes, either OKB or defender or Cheapy or somebody will make a topic pointing it out when it happens. hmmmm[/quote]

True. That is something else that makes this whole censor thing look fishy.

Heh. I guess I'm the only one to approve it so far. So far as ASS is considered, its not really a curse or as bad as that... I think as long as the word and similar exists people are going to use it.

Personally, I don't use it that much on here, but I can name a couple of people who run their mouths so to speak. People complain about it not being civilized here, but as long as you keep using that word its not going to be civliized.

Cheapy's not blocking out our whole posts (I don't think its going to come to that either), but if thats seriously the best word you can come up with you should read up on the dictionary/thesaurus/or just don't type at all.

[quote name='magilacudy']Heh. I guess I'm the only one to approve it so far. So far as ASS is considered, its not really a curse or as bad as that... I think as long as the word and similar exists people are going to use it.

Personally, I don't use it that much on here, but I can name a couple of people who run their mouths so to speak. People complain about it not being civilized here, but as long as you keep using that word its not going to be civliized.

Cheapy's not blocking out our whole posts (I don't think its going to come to that either), but if thats seriously the best word you can come up with you should read up on the dictionary/thesaurus/or just don't type at all.[/quote]

See, here's the problem with censoring it as I see it. Basically, it's like taking a piece of crap and calling it candy. No matter what you call it, it's still a piece of crap. So, taking the real word and changing it into fuck is just lame. Obviously everyone knows what it stands for, and it the censorship just gives the post an artificial feeling. Like a 10 year old kid was typing it, and wanted to replace the letters as not to use a "curse word"...

On the Dictionary/Thesaurus part of the quote, people do that already. Any newb can go onto dictionary.com, type words they want to use, and then use the smart ones. All this leads to is dumb people trying to look smart.

[quote name='Scrubking']
This does not look good. Cheapy could be close to selling the site or making some kind of deal.

Cheapy said that he wanted an "open" forum so these changes can only mean some kind of corporate deals.

I don't mind the censor, but I mind what it could mean.[/quote]

I just read this.....

......fuck.

:(

yep, fuck just about sums it up. i mean, i dont live and breath the word...but damnit, i liked the fact if i was annoyed/pissed/being funny i could be uncensored. At least its better than g-faqs and the fact they wont even let you do the *# thing

[quote name='evilmax17']
See, here's the problem with censoring it as I see it. Basically, it's like taking a piece of crap and calling it candy. No matter what you call it, it's still a piece of crap. So, taking the real word and changing it into f*#k is just lame. Obviously everyone knows what it stands for, and it the censorship just gives the post an artificial feeling. Like a 10 year old kid was typing it, and wanted to replace the letters as not to use a "curse word"...

On the Dictionary/Thesaurus part of the quote, people do that already. Any newb can go onto dictionary.com, type words they want to use, and then use the smart ones. All this leads to is dumb people trying to look smart.[/quote]

True. Yet I think the more we're exposed to a piece of crap, or the F-word, the more we become accustomed to it. A good example is that South Park episode where they said sh*t (self-censored) over 100 times. It loses its meaning and power if you keep saying it and saying it. At least if you censor it, you still are giving credence to it holding some offensiveness.

I remember going to my friend's college and looking at their newspaper. All the articles were filled with F this, F that. To me, 1) That looks dumb, as if a 10 year old wrote it. 2) You make the word acceptable to use. I for one don't want people spouting F-bombs in the future like its just another word. Damn was once taboo, and now its in the vernacular. I know, that's the direction society is headed in. But we have control over this society, and its somewhat of a democracy, so that is my view.
Also, how many newbies are going to look up in Dictionary.com for a word? That takes effort, effort that most of the posters here wouldn't make to spout off a random rant. Also, it does make dumb people look smart. So what? I think it would be truly dumb to allow yourself to look dumb in front of everyone else.

And last point I'd like to make is that maybe there is a conspiracy. Or maybe Cheapy forgot to post it. I don't know. But whatever choice he made, I'm just assuming he did it for the benefit for all CAGs here. If hes trying to impress some company, that will result in more deals for us.

[quote name='magilacudy']If hes trying to impress some company, that will result in more deals for us.[/quote]

Maybe...maybe. It can also mean bad things.

Just look at how the second coming of the Nazi regime took over gamefaqs.com

But if he was trying to "impress some company", wouldn't he have done something in order to impress Best Buy?

On a related note:
mother-fucker tittie-sucker two-balled-bitch with a king-sized pussy and a rubber-dick :twisted:

hehe... everyone's so imaginative. I remember Frosh year I downloaded the Maximum Pool demo and me and my friends were playing random people online. They had a filter on almost every bad word you could imagine, plus some others. It would replace your words with purple or silly or any random adjective. We came up with a bunch of messed up words and phrases that went through. haha.. those were the days. I don't think this is that bad as that censorship though.

I hope the filter is just a new forum option that we'll be able to toggle on and off. I can understand that Cheapy and the Gang wouldn't want to corrupt our youth (after all, that's what video games are for!) :wink:

If it's a permanent uneditable "feature" we're just going to run into a lot of annoying posts from people trying to play "beat the filter". FU

[quote name='kaw']I hope the filter is just a new forum option that we'll be able to toggle on and off.[/quote]
I didn't think of that. So I just went in and checked my Profile, but nope... didn't see an option to turn the filter on/off. :(

[quote name='Scrubking']This does not look good. Cheapy could be close to selling the site or making some kind of deal.

I don't mind the censor, but I mind what it could mean.[/quote]

Man, you guys are paranoid!
There is no coroprate deal in the works or anything even close to that.
I'm just trying to keep my google search results from winding up in the adult section because of too many f-bombs.

I don't mind the occasional f-bomb, but there are people that take it too far and they ruin it for the rest of us.

Does it really matter if you see fuck with two letters missing?
If its really that big of a deal to you guys, I'll get rid of the filter.

[quote name='evilmax17']Apparently there's a filter in place now? Doesn't that seem a little hypocritical after the whole Best Buy hypocrASSy? I dunno about this one guys, censorship is never the right answer.
[/quote]

I think there is a big difference between "Cheapass" and "fuck", don't you?

I don't mind the filter, but you should get one of those filters that puts in random adjectives so that saying bad words could be more fun. :wink:

as much as i curse like a trucker in person, i don't mind keepin' it clean in forums. gotta be polite and such.
the only thing i don't like hearing is "dropping the f-bomb" or "the s-word" or something like that. every time i hear that on the radio, i die a little more.

I like the filter, as I also like to keep public forums clean, despite using it quite frequently with friends and such. There's a difference between hanging out with friends at my house where no one can hear us, and being in a public forum with children present. Besides, if you cannot make your points in posts without using that word, then you're point isn't really worth making to begin with.

Not that I havent prolly used it here, but if I have, it is has been a rarity, which would be fine. But like Cheapy said, some people tend to use it to make every point they have.

I don't know, I don't like it. If parents care that much what their kids are looking at they won't even let them visit cheapASSgamer.com. I like to be able to say what's on my mind, and not to be censored like a boob at a half-time show.

I was wondering how does Google spider through the forum database if you need a username and password to view threads?

Obscenity is the hallmark of a weak mind.
I think that's just about all that needs to be said on that topic.

[quote name='Scrubking']I don't mind the filter, but you should get one of those filters that puts in random adjectives so that saying bad words could be more fun. :wink:[/quote]

I agree...replace "fuck" with "burp" or something along those lines...

"You burpfaced mother burper!"

[quote name='alongx']as much as i curse like a trucker in person, i don't mind keepin' it clean in forums. gotta be polite and such.
the only thing i don't like hearing is "dropping the f-bomb" or "the s-word" or something like that. every time i hear that on the radio, i die a little more.[/quote]

Bah, I wasn't really paying attention and thought you said "the s-sword". I was so hoping it was new slang that'd catch on with the kids.

[quote name='JSweeney']Obscenity is the hallmark of a weak mind.
I think that's just about all that needs to be said on that topic.[/quote]

...Then Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarentino are the worlds biggest idiots? Yes, certain words can be used as periods a bit too much, but when you realize they're really just words to add inflection you tend to not care.

Oh poo.

Oh crap.

Oh shit.

Which one involved dropping ice cream/seeing a cop care behind you/hittinf said police car.

I dont mind the swearing, i dont mind it being censored. But either way its just sweping obscenity under the carpet.

I agree with WhipSmart, you should put in random words like on the Spider-Man name entry screen. A little CheapyD should come up and punch the word to make it non-obscence. The fun would never end!

[quote name='redgopher']Or we could use the names of really bad games as a replacement.

Enter the Matrix, you Backyard Wrestling![/quote]

Ok, now that is funny.

"Spread you, you motherbicycle!!" "Eat camera and DIE!!!" "Burn in 7-eleven!!!"

...yeah, that would be fun....wow...

EDIT: fixed bad spelling...

[quote name='JSweeney']Obscenity is the hallmark of a weak mind.
I think that's just about all that needs to be said on that topic.[/quote]

Ditto.

I love the idea of replacing curse words with random words. Imagine the hilarity that would ensue...

lol I like the idea of random words replacing swears. I'm indifferent as to whether we have a filter or not, but it'd be funny to see the random phrases created... :lol:

...Then Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarentino are the worlds biggest idiots? Yes, certain words can be used as periods a bit too much, but when you realize they're really just words to add inflection you tend to not care.

No, but they are taking short cuts to try to make thier works more compelling. It's a whole lot easier to write a more dramatic and tense scene if you use obsenity as a crutch. Of course, Obscenity as a hallmark of a weak mind speaks more of a pattern and frequency of use.
In most of thier works, Kevin Smith and Tarentino use obscenity when it fits the characters and the situations. Kevin Smith didn't have to rely on that obscenity during his runs on those Marvel comics.

Oh poo.

Oh crap.

Oh shit.

Which one involved dropping ice cream/seeing a cop care behind you/hittinf said police car.

I don't know about you, but hitting a cop car would be a very rare occurance for me. Using obscenity occassionally is one thing... but when you use it as a crutch because you can't express yourself any other way is quite another. Obscenity adds a certain force to statements... which often the frequent abusers of obscenity don't have the vocabulary to state the same thing with the same force in any other manner.

[quote name='Wshakspear']Shut the /shaq-fu/ up, you mother /batman forever/[/quote]

That reminds me of the skit on Mad TV about the showing of Pulp Fiction on Fox. They took the entire car scene where he blows the kid's head off and replace ever swear word with some ridiculous, off the wall replacement.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Wshakspear']Shut the /shaq-fu/ up, you mother /batman forever/[/quote]

That reminds me of the skit on Mad TV about the showing of Pulp Fiction on Fox. They took the entire car scene where he blows the kid's head off and replace ever swear word with some ridiculous, off the wall replacement.[/quote]

Haha, thats like the skit where they edited the Sopranos.

Personally, I could give a flying fuck. There are alot of younger people on here too. The little fuckers don't need to be seeing profanity anyway.

oh fucktards. i use profanity a lot. i use it cause its just words. i can understand how some people could be offended, but im not cause words dont huret (me at least). while i understand the basis for the filter and how it coul help, i think some people like thses words and the ability to use them. im just saying maybe a way to turn it on/off (as mentioned above) would be nice. some use of colorful language is funny. althougth the random word filter would be funny. sorta like in the off-topic hread where people were screwing with other peoples posts.

Whatever, so you can't write a bad word.
Using the F-bomb isn't an appropriate way to express yourself anyway. It is too common.

bread's done
Back