Common Misconceptions

Foo228

CAGiversary!
Feedback
124 (98%)
We just started reading Frankenstein in my English class and I never knew that Frankenstein was the creator, not the creature...anyways, enough of my lapse of whom I thought the green creature was
according to the book, he's yellow! :roll:
I'd like to hear about some of my fellow cag's common misconceptions

Not a misconception about a story, but a word.

I always thought it was "Perogative," not "Prerogative."

Bats.

There is a common misconception that they are blind, will get tangled in your hair, and all carry rabies. In fact, bats have great vision but rely on echolocation for night hunting. They seldom get tangled in anything, most certainly not your hair. And while they can carry rabies, a very small amount do. You are far more likely to run in to a dog with rabies.

You never knew that Frankenstein was the doctor? Have you never seen a single Frankenstein movie where the doctor is called by his name?

There is a misconception about Quicksand. In reality, you can actually swim out of quicksand. Those Tarzan movies lied!!

[quote name='peteloaf']Godzilla isn't green. He's black y'all.[/quote]

You're wrong...he's both

getbusyuu9.jpg

[quote name='Xevious']There is a misconception about Quicksand. In reality, you can actually swim out of quicksand. Those Tarzan movies lied!![/quote]

To elaborate, you can't even drown in quicksand, its density is too great for a human being to sink below their head. At worst, death by quicksand involves being trapped in place until you starve or dehydrate to death.

A common misconception in my field is that aircraft are capable of flight due to a pressure difference above and below a wing. This is wrong, flight is possible due to Newton's Third Law of Motion (Action-Reaction), in that airflow passing over and under a curved airfoil is directed downward, and as a result, an equal force is generated in the opposite direction (i.e. lift).

~HotShotX

I was always taught that Jews kept little bags of gold tied around their necks. Boy was I wrong; they actually keep it tied around their waists!

You shouldn't put your fleshlight in the dishwasher. I don't know if it's dishwasher safe but its really uncool when I get up in the morning and just want a clean bowl for my corn pops and see that next to my Iron Man collector's glass. Asshole.

[quote name='HotShotX']To elaborate, you can't even drown in quicksand, its density is too great for a human being to sink below their head. At worst, death by quicksand involves being trapped in place until you starve or dehydrate to death.

A common misconception in my field is that aircraft are capable of flight due to a pressure difference above and below a wing. This is wrong, flight is possible due to Newton's Third Law of Motion (Action-Reaction), in that airflow passing over and under a curved airfoil is directed downward, and as a result, an equal force is generated in the opposite direction (i.e. lift).

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Yup.
Ah the joys of aerodynamics (I have my final Monday :( )

[quote name='ananag112']Yup.
Ah the joys of aerodynamics (I have my final Monday :( )[/quote]

Have fun with that, I'm off to get raped by my Aerospace Structural Design final now.

Thankfully, playing a 360 afterwards can heal an ailing asshole.

~HotShotX

Once you go black you do sometimes go back.

Another Frankenstein related one is that the monster is actually very intelligent in the novel contrary to how he's potrayed in most movies/pop culture/classic SNL holiday greeting skits.

[quote name='Short Round']I was always taught that Jews kept little bags of gold tied around their necks. Boy was I wrong; they actually keep it tied around their waists![/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='javeryh']Irregardless is not a word people!!![/QUOTE]

I was gonna post that but I couldnt remember what people said. Irregardless, it was posted anyways;) Whats strange is Firefox doesnt underline it in red as being misspelled. I cant stand when people say that or "I could care less"

"I could care less" makes no sense and isnt what people mean. Usually they want to elaborate on how little they care. If you could care less it means there is room underneath the amount you do care. "I could NOT care less" is what people mean. Meaning you care so little that its not possible for you to care any less.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Bats.
They seldom get tangled in anything, most certainly not your hair.[/quote]

Yeah, pretty much if a person gets entangled with bat, it's the person's fault not the bat.

I think it's more correct to say that it is a combination of these two effects that provide lift (UIUC BSAAE '99)

Not really sure this is 'misconception' per se but flammable and inflammable mean the same thing, capable of being set on fire (think inflame - able)

[quote name='hostyl1']
Not really sure this is 'misconception' per se but flammable and inflammable mean the same thing, capable of being set on fire (think inflame - able)[/QUOTE]

"Inflammable is the same as flammable? What a country!" Dr. Nick

[quote name='SithFran']"Inflammable is the same as flammable? What a country!" Dr. Nick[/QUOTE]

thanks for stealing my quote! ;-)

A common misconception about bowling is that the more spin you put on the ball, the more curve or hook action you get. In actuality a number of factors are at play in regards to ball action including oil patterns on the lane, ball composition, and the speed of the throw. I see so many people cupping the ball with the middle and ring finger in, and leaving the thumb out. Its looks ridiculous.

[quote name='CouRageouS']You shouldn't put your fleshlight in the dishwasher. I don't know if it's dishwasher safe but its really uncool when I get up in the morning and just want a clean bowl for my corn pops and see that next to my Iron Man collector's glass. Asshole.[/QUOTE]

:shock:

:rofl:

:shock:

[quote name='wubb']Once you go black you do sometimes go back.

Another Frankenstein related one is that the monster is actually very intelligent in the novel contrary to how he's potrayed in most movies/pop culture/classic SNL holiday greeting skits.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure the deniro version of frankenstien had him quoting william wordsworth. But its been a long time, i dont remember.

As for my misconceptions, I used to think that the earth was closer to the sun in the summer, but its the opposite, the sun is higher in the sky, futher away in the summer and thats why its hotter in the summer.

edit, OH ok, i see you wrote most movies. true enough. at least in the mel brooks version he packin a party in his pants

In my 10th grade Spanish class, one of the kids that sat behind actually said, "Wow, they have a word for everything in Spanish."

It's true :whistle2:k

I once believed that old people don't sue. I was wrong.

Not one of mine, but a high school kid in one of my college classes thought that "volitional" and "violational" meant the same thing.

[quote name='CouRageouS']You shouldn't put your fleshlight in the dishwasher. I don't know if it's dishwasher safe but its really uncool when I get up in the morning and just want a clean bowl for my corn pops and see that next to my Iron Man collector's glass. Asshole.[/quote]

What the hell is a fleshlight?

[quote name='camoor']I used to believe that the Republican party was fiscally conservative.[/quote]

must be off the roids....;)

A common misconception is that you have to turn in work on time, if at all, during college. As long as you are friendly with the professor you can get away with murder in their class.

Misconception: Human beings have two genders. Incorrect. Gender is a grammatical concept (for example, in Latin, nouns may be masculine, feminine, or neuter). Human beings have sex, either male or female.

[quote name='hostyl1']Not really sure this is 'misconception' per se but flammable and inflammable mean the same thing, capable of being set on fire (think inflame - able)[/quote]

I think the difference between the two is that inflammable is generally a term that is reserved for something that combusts if set on fire or is easily set on fire and flammable is like a general term for items that can be set on fire. Example - My cotton shirt is flammable but the fluid in my lighter is inflammable.

A few more:
"Coca-Cola has nothing to do with cocaine" - The real classic coke was made with the drug
"German Chocolate cake is from Germany" - The 'German Chocolate' is just a brand like 'Hershey's Chocolate"
"Pu$$y tastes like Pumpkin Pie" - How would I known, I've never eaten pumpkin pie. :cool:

[quote name='hostyl1']"Pu$$y tastes like Pumpkin Pie" - How would I known, I've never eaten pumpkin pie. :cool:[/quote]

Lord, I just saw that Bernie Mac routine on Youtube last night.

Just because someone went to law school or med school doesn't mean that he or she knows how to solve every case or cure every ailment. I love when people (usually family members) call me up and are like "I got a ticket can you get me out of it?" or "I'm buying a house can you close it for me?" or we're watching some crime show/movie and I get "is that true?" like any of that shit pertains to my day to day job.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']It's not "For all intensive purposes" but "for all intents and purposes".[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Also, it's "ought to have," not "ought to of."

[quote name='mykevermin']:applause:

Also, it's "ought to have," not "ought to of."[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't think that people are saying "Ought to of," instead what they are doing is contracting 'to have' into 'to 've' and saying "Ought to 've" with the last syllable of the contraction having the same pronunciation as in "Love."

[quote name='hardwo0d']Actually, I don't think that people are saying "Ought to of," instead what they are doing is contracting 'to have' into 'to 've' and saying "Ought to 've" with the last syllable of the contraction having the same pronunciation as in "Love."[/QUOTE]

I meant how people type, not how they speak.

I mutter, so I'm well aware of the ought to 've (or, in my case, o'tve).

[quote name='dracula']As for my misconceptions, I used to think that the earth was closer to the sun in the summer, but its the opposite, the sun is higher in the sky, futher away in the summer and thats why its hotter in the summer.

edit, OH ok, i see you wrote most movies. true enough. at least in the mel brooks version he packin a party in his pants[/quote]

Actually that's not correct either. Distance from the sun doesn't have anything to do with the seasons. Relatively speaking, the change in distance due to the tilt of the earth's axis is extremely tiny when compared to the distance to the sun.

What is important is that the tilt affects the energy per unit area that hits the earth at that location.

One other misconception that bugs me is that some people think that the sky is blue because it is a reflection of the ocean.

[quote name='mykevermin']:applause:

Also, it's "ought to have," not "ought to of."[/quote]

I was getting to the third page, thinking about how I was going to say that, and then I saw that you said it.

And now I can't... :cry:

But at least someone said it.

bread's done
Back