Sony PS3 60GB system $649 @ GameExpress.com (New/Used???)

For that price, I'd just wait for the MGS4 80Gig bundle which will run almost all of the PS2 games you'd need to anyways. If that still isn't good enough, pick up a new PS2 for $99 and for the same price as the 60gb, you have two systems, a game, and a dualshock controller. Besides, many people are having big problems with the 60gb ...at least sending it in for repair...Sony doesn't even know what to do with the system when people send it in.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']For that price, I'd just wait for the MGS4 80Gig bundle which will run almost all of the PS2 games you'd need to anyways. If that still isn't good enough, pick up a new PS2 for $99 and for the same price as the 60gb, you have two systems, a game, and a dualshock controller. Besides, many people are having big problems with the 60gb ...at least sending it in for repair...Sony doesn't even know what to do with the system when people send it in.[/quote]

I've never had an issue with my 60gb. Do you have a link regarding the problems?

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']For that price, I'd just wait for the MGS4 80Gig bundle which will run almost all of the PS2 games you'd need to anyways. If that still isn't good enough, pick up a new PS2 for $99 and for the same price as the 60gb, you have two systems, a game, and a dualshock controller. Besides, many people are having big problems with the 60gb ...at least sending it in for repair...Sony doesn't even know what to do with the system when people send it in.[/quote]
True. I had to send in my 60gb PS3 for repair after it stopped reading the discs. Just got it back last week.:D

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']For that price, I'd just wait for the MGS4 80Gig bundle which will run almost all of the PS2 games you'd need to anyways. If that still isn't good enough, pick up a new PS2 for $99 and for the same price as the 60gb, you have two systems, a game, and a dualshock controller. Besides, many people are having big problems with the 60gb ...at least sending it in for repair...Sony doesn't even know what to do with the system when people send it in.[/QUOTE]

I've never had any problems with mine, nor have I ever seen a thread about it on any of the forums I regularly visit....

[quote name='joe6555']True. I had to send in my 60gb PS3 for repair after it stopped reading the discs. Just got it back last week.:D[/quote]

But the question is: did you have issues with Sony's ability to fix the 60gb?

[quote name='thelonepig']But the question is: did you have issues with Sony's ability to fix the 60gb?[/quote]
Not one problem. Took less than a week for them to fix and ship it back.:applause:

PS2 is widely believed to be dropping to $99, add that to the PS3 Metal Gear Bundle and the price comes to the same price as that PS3 for sale, except instead you end up with 2 systems, 2 different controllers, and a game. (not to mention you get to buy from established retailers)

[quote name='playstencil']How much do 20gb models go for now? It has full BC right?[/quote]

Yeah, the 20 GB has full backwards compatibility. I'd say that the MGS4 80GB bundle would be the best choice though, unless you can get the 20 for cheap. 20GB is not very much, and unless you don't have a ps2 and want to play obscure ps2 games, the 80GB's BC will likely be good enough for you.

This all doesn't really matter to me luckily, because I got a 60GB last fall.

you can put in a hd drive for cheap with more memory...the only thing you are losing is wireless connection.. 20 GB is good bang for the buck

With this MGS4 bundle coming out, do you think theres a possibility of a price cut eventually for the 40GB console? I hope E3 2008 makes my dreams come true, will c

Anyone ordered from there before? Is it a legit business?

If this is new and not used then I'll definitely buy it. Been hunting for a 60gb for a month now. Stupid PS2 looks like garbage on my HDTV and the 80gb has "occasional stuttering" with some of my games.

Ugh, I would have a 60gb by now if Gamestop didn't sell defective systems or if people on craigslist weren't so anti-social.

I don't know if I would trust a site that calls the six axis controller a "remote pad".

SONY PS3 WIRELESS REMOTE PAD~~ :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='Kanik']Anyone ordered from there before? Is it a legit business?

If this is new and not used then I'll definitely buy it. Been hunting for a 60gb for a month now. Stupid PS2 looks like garbage on my HDTV and the 80gb has "occasional stuttering" with some of my games.

Ugh, I would have a 60gb by now if Gamestop didn't sell defective systems or if people on craigslist weren't so anti-social.[/quote]

I've bought from them before. but this was like something like 3 years ago. I bought a White fat DS from them.

Don't support 60GB price gouging! I have one and believe me when I tell you, it's really not worth 200$ more than a 40gb. If you want BC just wait for the MGS4 bundle and you get a free game and a dual shock controller for ~100$ less than a 60GB from this site.

I sent them a message asking if it was new in the box, and if so whether it was still under the 1-year Sony warranty.

I'm concerned that I buy it and it turns out to just be refurb that breaks after a week.

These things are so ridiculously rare and people who sell them act like they're peddling drugs. I sent a message to Gamefunk, through their myspace page, asking if they checked the PS3s to see if they worked via HDMI, etc. After reading my question they deleted me as a friend on myspace. =/

i would just stick with the 80gb MGS bundle, you get the game and a ds3 controller. Which would be an extra $120 or so if you bought this ps3. And so far I haven't had any probs with my 60gb but people have been having issues playing GTA IV

I've never played MGS3 and would like to do so (already bought the essential collection!)...but apparently it has noticeable problems on the 80gb.

Plus some of my games are listed as having "random stuttering". Still no idea if that means a pause every 50 minutes or every 5 seconds.

I have a 60GB (I loveee it) but I don't think I can see myself paying $600+ for it... As many others have said in this thread, if you REALLY want this, get it, if you can wait, wait for the 80GB Model with MGS.

PS to all, check craigslist, I have heard some crazy deals on there...

[quote name='Kanik']I've never played MGS3 and would like to do so (already bought the essential collection!)...but apparently it has noticeable problems on the 80gb.

Plus some of my games are listed as having "random stuttering". Still no idea if that means a pause every 50 minutes or every 5 seconds.[/quote]

MGS3 is awesome, beat it in half a day :). I don't know anything about the 80gbs and their prblems since I dont know anyone with one, but like i said the 60gbs are also having problems with gta 4. So i guess it depends on the game.

[quote name='Kanik']Anyone ordered from there before? Is it a legit business?

Ugh, I would have a 60gb by now if Gamestop didn't sell defective systems or if people on craigslist weren't so anti-social.[/quote]

If you already have a PS2, you don't need the 60GB. I have a 42" HDTV, and the upscaling isn't anything special. Of course it's a little bit better than playing on my PS2, but it's nowhere near $200 better. I actually choose to play some games on my PS2 instead still because I haven't gotten my dualshock 3 yet.

If you're set on a 60GB though, that's completely your decision and it's fine. $600 is ridiculous, but it's your money, not mine.

[quote name='Cow_tipper']If you already have a PS2, you don't need the 60GB. I have a 42" HDTV, and the upscaling isn't anything special. Of course it's a little bit better than playing on my PS2, but it's nowhere near $200 better. I actually choose to play some games on my PS2 instead still because I haven't gotten my dualshock 3 yet.

If you're set on a 60GB though, that's completely your decision and it's fine. $600 is ridiculous, but it's your money, not mine.[/quote]

It's also possible that you have a HDTV that supports the resolution the PS2 gives out. My HDTV looks great except for when my PS2 is hooked up. I've tried component cables and even the Xploder HDTV player, and the games still come out looking pixelized. It looks really bad unless the game supports progressive scan and God of War is the only one I have that does.

If the PS3 upscaler could just blur the PS2's rough edges, it's worth the purchase for me. I'm not looking for something that will make it look amazing, just make it look like how it would on a SDTV. Although with how bad my luck has been getting one, I'll probably end up settling for the MGS Bundle.

I bought a moderate amount of stuff from them about 3-5 years ago when they were just "gexpress.com"... never had any problems but haven't bought from them in quite a while for whatever reason... (I had mostly imported stuff... I think their prices+shipping were just a bit high at times)

:shock:Holy!?! This thread is still going didn't think most people would really be interested and debating in 60gb and 80gb model :argue:since the new MGS4 80GB will be out next month. When i posted this i know most people would say it outrageous for them to to put the 60 GB for that price(well you're right;)) they know a lot of people are looking for a 60GB Model with full backwards compatibility so they put it at that price regardless of the new PS3 Bundle coming out soon.:censored:

[quote name='Justin42']I bought a moderate amount of stuff from them about 3-5 years ago when they were just "gexpress.com"... never had any problems but haven't bought from them in quite a while for whatever reason... (I had mostly imported stuff... I think their prices+shipping were just a bit high at times)[/QUOTE]

I bought from the a month ago got my order quick too the site could be better if they work on their shipping prices.;)

Thanks for posting.

Most people seem to be missing the point. The reason to get the 60gb is so that you do not have to have 2 different consoles to manage, but just one console to rule them all. Also overlooked is the fact that the backwards compatibility of the 80gb is terrible and you will have to have a PS2 anyway. If you want a deal and dont get the point, then dont bother, but this is a great find for people who still want the the better system.

I did have my 60gb stop reading discs and had to send it in. Unfortunately, Sony refused to repair it no matter what the problem was, but they sent me a brand new 60gb as a replacement. No problems and a very fast turn around time of about 8 days.

[quote name='Cow_tipper']If you already have a PS2, you don't need the 60GB. I have a 42" HDTV, and the upscaling isn't anything special. Of course it's a little bit better than playing on my PS2, but it's nowhere near $200 better. I actually choose to play some games on my PS2 instead still because I haven't gotten my dualshock 3 yet.[/quote]

Wow, I have had the complete opposite experience. $600 is a great deal if you trust this site!

Graphics on PS2 games are amazing on a 60 GB PS3! I loved mine so much, that I bought a Japanese 20 GB PS3 for Japanese games.

No comparison between PS2 and PS3. The PS2 is junk ever since this thing was patched to upscale PS2 games. Also, no problems with either of my PS3s.

80GB MGS4 bundle is $100 cheaper and plays PS2 games. Unless you need a PS3 now and can't live with a 40GB, wait for the MGS4 bundle.

[quote name='playstencil']Yeah I want full BC (I'm just getting into the PS2 scene :applause:) but I can't shell out $500/$600 for an 80gb/60gb PS3.[/quote]

FYI only 20/60GB PS3s have PS2 chips in them and are fully backwards compatible. 80GB models use software emulation and plays most PS2 games, but not all, and not all flawlessly. Use the website and make sure all the games you want to play work first and the 80GB sku will be fine.

If you're just getting into the PS2 scene, just get a PS2. Really, the only reason I want a PS3 is for the upscaling. A PS2 on an HDTV even through component makes me miss scanlines. Shadow of the Colossus in particular literally hurts my eyes to look at. Even so, I'm personally waiting for two of three things to happen before I bite on a PS3: redesign so the thing isn't huge and ugly, price drop, Final Fantasy XIII. Starting to get sick of the loud ass Xbox 360 fan...

[quote name='Kanik']

Indeed, Gamestop sucks! I used to work there MANY moons ago, and depending on the manager, sometime they will willingly take in defective stuff opting to send it in to corporate. Oh, and by the way, it's anti-sociable, not anti-social. Anti-social means a total disregard for the feelings and conventions others in society.:lol:

[quote name='MegaKungFuRadio']FYI only 20/60GB PS3s have PS2 chips in them and are fully backwards compatible. 80GB models use software emulation and plays most PS2 games, but not all, and not all flawlessly. Use the website and make sure all the games you want to play work first and the 80GB sku will be fine.
[/quote]

Even the 20/60GB PS3s (w/ built-in emotions engine) don't have perfect backwards compatability (just fewer issues than the 80GB)

[quote name='MegaKungFuRadio']FYI only 20/60GB PS3s have PS2 chips in them and are fully backwards compatible. 80GB models use software emulation and plays most PS2 games, but not all, and not all flawlessly. Use the website and make sure all the games you want to play work first and the 80GB sku will be fine.

If you're just getting into the PS2 scene, just get a PS2. Really, the only reason I want a PS3 is for the upscaling. A PS2 on an HDTV even through component makes me miss scanlines. Shadow of the Colossus in particular literally hurts my eyes to look at. Even so, I'm personally waiting for two of three things to happen before I bite on a PS3: redesign so the thing isn't huge and ugly, price drop, Final Fantasy XIII. Starting to get sick of the loud ass Xbox 360 fan...[/quote]

Yeah there's already a PS2 at my place but I have nothing next gen so you know, I'm thinking PS3:cool:. I want free internet play and WIPEOUT HD! I love wipeout. Some of the games I own will "occasionally stutter" or have "graphical issues" on the 80gb :(.

[quote name='cybersteve00']Kinda related to this thread: I'm looking to buy a PS3 (specifically for the Blu-ray and some games) should I wait?[/QUOTE]If you value additional price cuts more than full or partial backward compatibility, then you should wait.

If you're just getting into the PS2 scene, just get a PS2. Really, the only reason I want a PS3 is for the upscaling. A PS2 on an HDTV even through component makes me miss scanlines. Shadow of the Colossus in particular literally hurts my eyes to look at. Even so, I'm personally waiting for two of three things to happen before I bite on a PS3: redesign so the thing isn't huge and ugly, price drop, Final Fantasy XIII. Starting to get sick of the loud ass Xbox 360 fan...[/QUOTE]

So the only real thing this whole backward compatibility thing does is upscale, preventing "gaming lag", not actually upping the actual resolution? It just seems like a waste ... anyone who's ever played ps1 games on bleem! knows what I'm talking about. Why don't these companies ever go the extra mile? sigh ... anyway the 360's fan isn't that bad. I have mine right next to my monitor, then again lately it's been even quieter ... due to Dolby Headphone.

My 60GB has performed well for me (don't use it all that much).
To the OP - you need to put the price in the title.

As for people wondering about the site - I ordered the two RE games from them (GCN) then they were impossible to find and they both came in brand new. I'd feel safe in ordering from then, but then again, I wouldn't pay this much for a 60GB PS3 if I had to do it all over again...

[quote name='Thrinn']If you value additional price cuts more than full or partial backward compatibility, then you should wait.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. When do you think this will happen? I'm iching to get one. lol..

bread's done
Back