Difference Between N64 Jumper and Expansion Paks?

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I just got Donkey Kong 64 and I can't play it.....
HALP?[/QUOTE]
Difference Between N64 Jumper and Expansion Paks?

About 4MB!

ba-bum-CRASH!

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I just got Donkey Kong 64 and I can't play it.....
HALP?[/QUOTE]

Like Banky said, the Expansion Pak added an extra 4MB of RAM to the console. You need to have one to play Donkey Kong 64 and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and while Perfect Dark can do something without it, you need the Expansion Pak to access most of the game's features (like single player mode).

That copy of Donkey Kong 64 is useless unless you have the Expansion Pak. The game shipped with it when it was new, because the system isn't capable of running the game otherwise.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Like Banky said, the Expansion Pak added an extra 4MB of RAM to the console. You need to have one to play Donkey Kong 64 and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and while Perfect Dark can do something without it, you need the Expansion Pak to access most of the game's features (like single player mode).

That copy of Donkey Kong 64 is useless unless you have the Expansion Pak. The game shipped with it when it was new, because the system isn't capable of running the game otherwise.[/quote]
ah...
well this sucks...

lol Banky made a funny

The Expansion pack is basically 3d accerator card for your computer. In most cases these would have a extra proccessor or memory so the computer could handle less work.

In this case the Expansion pack does just that. Like the GCN and Sega Saturn and even PSX has memory booster packs that allow them to load more at once and even graphic accellerators to do more stuff.

Don't be sad 3rd party devices will even increase the graphics to a level that stands around the PS2 for the N64. However I would just buy the Expansion pack.
I got one with DK N64.........
Sadly I wish I never got DK N64 and the money instead:cry:

[quote name='Redie']The Expansion pack is basically 3d accerator card for your computer. In most cases these would have a extra proccessor or memory so the computer could handle less work.

In this case the Expansion pack does just that. Like the GCN and Sega Saturn and even PSX has memory booster packs that allow them to load more at once and even graphic accellerators to do more stuff.

Don't be sad 3rd party devices will even increase the graphics to a level that stands around the PS2 for the N64. However I would just buy the Expansion pack.
I got one with DK N64.........
Sadly I wish I never got DK N64 and the money instead:cry:[/quote]

It's not a 3d accelerator, it's just more memory for the console to use. Think of it as if you are adding another stick of ram to your PC. The PS2 and Gamecube didn't have any sort of peripheral like this, the Saturn did. If they did, I've definitely never heard or seen anything about it.

[quote name='DaveD']I've definitely never heard or seen anything about it.[/quote]

It is a 3d accellerator in terms of what it does which is to provide graphics that could not be done before. The Saturn, SNES, Genesis, NES, PSX, GCN, and even the recent 360 does have this. It just might be in another form.

Think of it as if you are adding another stick of ram to your PC

Ram stand alone will not give a better exprience using the computer. It has be designed in specific way in order for it to do what it does. There is all kinds of RAM. Do you even own a N64?

It is a 3d accellerator in terms of what it does

An accellerator card can do multiple things for a computer or even game system.
Most is used for 3d like the above is used for, some is used for smoother video playback, others is used for special effects and programming purpose.

The correct or sort term would be cartrige like a NES cart. There is various cartriges used in various compter devices. Some cost -50,000 alone to use depending on the use.

Well you can't see the diffrence if you allways use it. For games that require it you will see advance graphics being displayed while there might be additions like Sound and enviorment add ons.

This is for games that takes advantage of it like

Hybrid Heavan
Adyin Chronicals
Bomberman N64 Part II

Then there is other games like the following that does not require the upgrade but will show diffrence

Bomberman N64
Castlevania
Kirby's Air Ride
Quest

Where you will see things more clearly or proffecently. Maybe things that was not there before will be. Also less jaggies.

Lastly there is games that is in exceeding high qaulity like

Mother 3
Perfect Dark
Donkey Kong N64

These need the pack in order to work as if it was part of the system itself. It is like giving wings to rats and teaching them to fly.

Do not reply to Redie, he's a known troll.

The fact that he's talking about Mother 3 on N64, and third-party add-ons that make the N64 comparable to the PS2, should be a dead giveaway.

Speaking of N64 versue the PS2/ The N64 was going to have a add-on device that would do such a thing but nintendo canned it and made it a limited order release. Meaning people who ordered it got it anyhows.

There was the elusive

Zelda
SimCity
Paint Program
Sound Program
F-Zero upgrade
Zelda Upgrade
EarthBound DD64.

Mother 3 is a N64 game and has demo carts that plays without the use of the DD64. The game itself did have a work around so they could release it for the N64 stand alone but yet that got canned since there was other RPG games in the same feild that did what Mother 3 did but in 2d. Also the fact you was fighting on a one and one perspective in 3d.

However if released it would still have the same effect as gba Mother 3.

About the N64 stand alone it could outdo the PS2 the fact many early PS2 games could have been on the N64 with no porting problems it was just they never decided on porting anything.

Winback one game you could pretty much tell where the PS2 and N64 stood side by side. Other then that the N64 just needed a upgrade device to go head to head. Otherwise the N64 had no support for such upgrades. Later games like

SIna dn Punishment proved differ.

[quote name='help1']I had one, and I didn't notice a damn difference in graphics.[/QUOTE]

It's night and day with Perfect Dark.

Not to mention it opens up so many more options.

[quote name='zewone']It's night and day with Perfect Dark.

Not to mention it opens up so many more options.[/QUOTE]

Like modes that aren't multiplayer? :lol:

I think the box said you got something like 35% of the content without the Expansion Pak.

[quote name='help1']I had one, and I didn't notice a damn difference in graphics.[/QUOTE]

Redie was sort of right on this one. Games needed to be programmed to take advantage of the Expansion Pak. Wikipedia's got a pretty long list of titles that could use it, but a few that spring to mind are Rogue Squadron (and Battle for Naboo), Turok 2, and the Tony Hawk games.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Do not reply to Redie, he's a known troll.

The fact that he's talking about Mother 3 on N64, and third-party add-ons that make the N64 comparable to the PS2, should be a dead giveaway.[/QUOTE]

And Kirby's Air Ride, which wasn't actually released until 2003.

Given that Earthbound 64 was only playable at Spaceworld for one year and that Kirby's Air Ride was originally announced when the N64 was new before it got mired in development hell, no one knows if they were ever going to use the Expansion Pak or not. Why? There's very little reliable information on these two games out there.

It made a difference in Excitebike 64 and in Vigilante 8: Second Offense. But you had to go into the menu and enable the pack. And you had to this every time you played the game.

They should have shipped the N64 with the extra 4MB to begin with. Then maybe games for it wouldn't have looked so assy.

I think of the alternate reality in which the N64 used CDs and had the expansion pak from the start. . .

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']That copy of Donkey Kong 64 is useless unless you have the Expansion Pak. The game shipped with it when it was new, because the system isn't capable of running the game otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I actually think the game is better without the expansion pack. ;^)

[quote name='hankmecrankme']They should have shipped the N64 with the extra 4MB to begin with. Then maybe games for it wouldn't have looked so assy.

I think of the alternate reality in which the N64 used CDs and had the expansion pak from the start. . .[/QUOTE]

Given the price of RAM back then, an extra 4MB would've made the cost of the system rise significantly.

To the best of my knowledge, Nintendo didn't seriously consider a disc-based N64. The Nintendo-Sony joint project was earlier, back in the days of the Super NES, and they broke off from each other in 1993.

That alternate reality never had a chance of happening.

[quote name='crunchewy']I actually think the game is better without the expansion pack. ;^)[/QUOTE]

Donkey Kong 64 is a collect-a-thon, but it wasn't a bad platformer. Definitely better than a lot of the third party titles that were released.

Given that I'ven ever had the patience to finish the game, though, I understand where you're coming from. ;)

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I loved DK64 as a kid. Haters can STFU.[/quote]

Name one good thing about that game?

On that note you still must be a kid since I owned when I was real and not part of your imagination.:roll:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Given the price of RAM back then, an extra 4MB would've made the cost of the system rise significantly.

To the best of my knowledge, Nintendo didn't seriously consider a disc-based N64. The Nintendo-Sony joint project was earlier, back in the days of the Super NES, and they broke off from each other in 1993.

[\QUOTE]

I know, that's why it's an alternate reality. :)

nintendo made the 64 a cartridge based system so they could make a lot of money on properitary parts for both GAMES and SYSTEMS..they continue to "gimp' their own systems due to them wanting proprietary software.. the DS uses a cartridge based system and the GameCube used properitary "dvds" that were not only an insult to dvds.. probably made their games worse because of it..

now.. if nintendo went the "entertainment center" route that the playstation did (meaning it could play CDs.. which for a game system was relatively new.. and cool) sooner we could have probably seen a remarkable leap in gaming instead of what i call a "dead era".. the playstation games looked better by default so, i think a lot of innovation that could have been had there was not fully realized until the PS2-dreamcast era..

That's exactly what I've always wondered. The N64 was technically more powerful, but games had bad textures. Having games on CD could've at least given developers more space to put textures. And maybe Square would have made FFVII for N64 then. And maybe games for it wouldn't have been $70.

I think Nintendo just kinda stuck to their guns. They were familiar with cartridge technology, and figured the public was used to the tried and true medium, thinking CD consoles, althought not entirely new at the time by any stretch of the imagination, were sort of a fad. Think about how many CD consoles had tanked at the time. The 3do was barely alive and the CDi was all but dead. The Playstation and Saturn were relatively new, also.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Given the price of RAM back then, an extra 4MB would've made the cost of the system rise significantly.
[/QUOTE]

They did it on purpose since there was multiple upgrades the N64 could have in addition. The DD64 is practically a oversized cart since both ends is the same entrance.

Nintendo has the Famicom Disk system that did well in it's own home. The problem was that porting it to usa ws completely taken out since they would need to have a strong enough support.

However in the West since the focus is just to bring out a new product and get people riled up in time for the second product. This is a business tatic. They don't consider us to a be negotiative buyer. Most buyers is children, big kids, and young adults who have not grown up. Older buyers get smart. In Japan the price is high eitherway of the consumer.

There is a chance to see the SNES CD-Add on unit in action. In fact there is a Copier that uses CD's and a home device that has a VCD player floating around out there. The question is when we are going to see one that produces 3d graphics. Such device would not cost alot to produce nowadays and the question is who do we target...the neo consumers or ready consumers.

Donkey Kong 64 is a collect-a-thon, but it wasn't a bad platformer. Definitely better than a lot of the third party titles that were released.

That was not the problem with DK64. It was the game was to built up like Banjo Kazooie. Nobody wants to play a game with too many features when the original was basically Jump man.

1. You collected bullets.
2. You fought characters by pressing in game buttons.
3. K. Rool ending was unrealistic even in 2d ( unlike DKC endings which made sense)

4. The series "jumped the shark" when the TRUE ending of DKC showed how K.Rool was egged in the ending. No defeat, banishment, or death sentence.
It was none violent in it's ending and even it's boss battles which ending with the boss being TKO and not "Finished " like in Mortal Kombat.

5. They went too far with characters and scenes. Also the jokes was stale.
6. They could have had some more mini games.
7. WTF happened to Candy???????

Given that I'ven ever had the patience to finish the game, though, I understand where you're coming from.

Not really you could finish the game real fast the problem was wanting to even see the hidden ending ( which is basically like original the ending of DKC3 )

The problem with this game was how they did not take the morphing of Kong Island serisously. It was 25% completed.

I think Nintendo just kinda stuck to their guns. They were familiar with cartridge technology, and figured the public was used to the tried and true medium,

They used this medium since it is the only chioce. It is cheap to produce, You have fast access like memory. and you could store save files without the need for a memory card.

About size this was not a problem. With mod technolgy and conversion tech would be able to have as many video's and mp3 like sound. However there was also no need for FMV ( the pce proves this ) since you could use sprites.

The problem was that in the west ( since nobody could draw for there lives) we had too many people who would jump to 3d dew to easy advantages of it.

Nintendo stuck to it not only to force people to buy there carts but the fact it was the best chioce. CD can only store data.

thinking CD consoles, althought not entirely new at the time by any stretch of the imagination, were sort of a fad. Think about how many CD consoles had tanked at the time.

Remember Famicom disk.....stuuuppppiieeeedoh! Americano

The 3do was barely alive and the CDi was all but dead.

The Cdi had no commercial support. It was completely blank to everybody.
The 3do has 3d but that is all it had. 3d graphics was like the glass woman that appeared in Germany ( before the Allies bombed the place ). It was amazing the concept of a walking talking gyoiniod in the 20 century.

The Playstation
and Saturn were relatively new, also.

Nobody knew what a Playstation was. It was only uptill the RPG craze is what got the PSX noticable. Nowadays most advertisments is too wierd and lame to even want to watch. People in the advertising don't take there work seriously where they have a say as to what and will not sell.

The Saturn was hot but people was playing SNES and Genesis still. It had internet connection service and coudl do much much more. The problem was the saturn was limited in the west with the new standards being placed ( the monosexaul rating system ) they vetoed the entire collection.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Redie']
They used this medium since it is the only chioce. It is cheap to produce, You have fast access like memory. and you could store save files without the need for a memory card.
[/quote]

A cartridge is far more expensive to manufacture, hence the N64 games going for $60 and up brand new. CDs are far less complex than a cart. Also, several N64 games required the use of a memory card. Some, not all.

[quote name='DaveD']A cartridge is far more expensive to manufacture, hence the N64 games going for $60 and up brand new. CDs are far less complex than a cart. Also, several N64 games required the use of a memory card. Some, not all.[/quote]

A cartrige being produce is not more expensive. If so then it is by a couple of cents not dollars. We could still being using carts with no changes in gameplay today. It is cheaper then it ever was to store games on carts. The memory card gave them more money then a cart will ever.

Think about it.

$50 New game
$20 New Memory Card ( with fricked up amount of space that you cna use a computer )

There was more then seven and the N64 is not really a Cart whole system. The last thing nintendo did right was the SNES and it was a mistake like everything good.

Also, shut up about it being a CD based console. Disk and CD are completely different formats

A disc is a Disk they only changed the name nutsover easy....All discs reads and writes diffrently. The NES, SNES, and N64 all have disc/disk attacments. Hella CD come in a case no diffrent looking then a Floppy.

[quote name='DaveD']That guy was right, you are a troll.[/quote]

No you can't hande te trut that has been told to you my truth your opinion for I am
Darkt Facto

And do you have the courage to guiide Adol threw the terrors of Y's to unlock it's secrets or would you rather oterwise. Play Y's the ultimate commercial RPG or you don't have enough facto.

LMAO at Redie what crack is this guy on? Have you ever played a N64?

MOTHER 3!?! The canned N64 game that was released on GAME BOY ADVANCE.
KIRBY'S AIR RIDE?? The game that was canceled for N64 and delayed for a GAMECUBE release

And don't get me started on calling DK64's ending unrealistic. Your talking about fighting apes and crocodiles. Besides your opinion on anything related to Donkey Kong is moot since you actually wanted that poor excuse of a character that Candy was in DK64.

GTFOH

If the universe begins to decay because the space-time continuum has been compromised, I'll know it came from this thread.

I'll just know.

[quote name='bardiya27']LMAO at Redie what crack is this guy on? Have you ever played a N64?[/QUOTE]

Redie is a troll. Or rather, he's a joke/gimmick account belonging to some other member here. I thought I saw someone else with an avatar somewhat similar to his, so I suspected them, but I can't remember who it was.

Anyways, don't worry about it. He's not actually that stupid; he's just looking to cause a fuss for the lulz.

[quote name='bardiya27']LMAO at Redie what crack is this guy on? Have you ever played a N64?
[/quote]

I admit... I have sinnned.... I was a Nintendo gamer and played pokemon over pokemon. All those years in the dark fighting Mewtwo and battling Giovoni when I should have been playing the bliss of Nights, Shenmue, and even Sakura. Will yah fargive me paka?

MOTHER 3!?! The canned N64 game that was released on GAME BOY ADVANCE.
It was completed, there is even a video of the youthfull staff playing the game.
There is also a N64 stand alone demo.

KIRBY'S AIR RIDE?? The game that was canceled for N64 and delayed for a GAMECUBE release
It was the first game released in Japan.

And don't get me started on calling DK64's ending unrealistic. Your talking about fighting apes and crocodiles.
K.Rool getting a hard on after seeing Hoared out Candy while warfunky comes along and blows him away. Is that realistic??? The mastermind behind all the big bad plans of DKC turns soft over Monkey love to a Breast implaneted, Wig Wearing, dolled out Kong.

DKC being knocked out on his Galleon only to recover for a second round was funny. DKC2 being thrown from high mountian into a water of paranahs was funny only to survive with hallrious outcome and then thrown into C.Core was funny. DKC3 to turn wacko scientist send a frankestien Kremling and then be taken out not only twice but three times was funny.

Getting inflatuated over a morphed monkey and shot from behind is not funny.

Besides your opinion on anything related to Donkey Kong is moot since you actually wanted that poor excuse of a character that Candy was in DK64.
For the love of your god I was getting a hard on waiting for the breast to explode. What does she does again? Nothing nada zip zilco??? At least in the original game we had the save barrel. This was just stupid.

It is like that girl with a MILK shirt on the side of the society building in Evolution sucking a lolipop but much worst.

No you Get the of my planet

Anyways, don't worry about it. He's not actually that stupid; he's just looking to cause a fuss for the lulz.
There be worm storm like the gods havent seen!!!!

Wait... did someone just call a memory expansion a "3D Accelerator"?
An Accellerator card takes off some of the work from the main proccessor if not then enhances the playback ratio.

I know caus I ceens it, stuck out like a bladder on the floor Ive seens it.

This is a fun topic! I think the N64 had the ability to do tri-linear graphics? hence the 3-D but cartridges are expensive to make and lack the ability to have FMW scenes such as RE2. Also the think that still sticks in my mind about the N64 is the lack of mature and rpg games the system had. Let's just make a bunch of crappy 2d/3d platformers aka mario clones!

So wanna see a good comparison of two systems go play MK Trilogy on Playstation and N64. Even though the game blows, still looks a hell of a lot better on the Playstation.

That and the N64 only has about 10 games worth playing.

[quote name='DaveD']That guy was right, you are a troll.[/QUOTE]

And an idiot, to boot.

I was thinking of going through this topic and pointing out and correcting everything wrong he'd said in his last two or three posts...but then I realized I don't really have the half an hour it'd take to do that. I mean, look at what he said about Kirby's Air Ride:

[quote name='Redie']It was the first game released in Japan.[/QUOTE]

:wall:

No, no it wasn't.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']

:wall:

No, no it wasn't.[/quote]

Yes it was. Everybody in Japan who is a major Kriby Fan will tell this is the first real game for the system. It is completed and have seen it for sale along with the european Mario World at my local import Shoppe.

cartridges are expensive

Lie's Lie's they just gaved into the bash the cart stereotype like you have....asqaucckk.

ability to have FMW

FMV was common with some games on the N64 and thus these pre-rendered movies is what shot the system down but the truth was most devers was not ready for it and the PSX had the RPG flow of the SNES2.

the lack of mature and rpg games

If you mean by +16 standards yes the N64 was towards children but that was only since the RPG movement on the SNES2 that you call the PSX, 2, 3.

Let's just make a bunch of crappy 2d/3d platformers aka mario clones!

Your thinking about the NES try again. The N64 had real 3d and furious graphics the likes of any system had. However the Saturn had a extended life in Japan.

still looks a hell of a lot better on the Playstation.

Lies lies both games was opt for each system at the time says my Gamepro magazine. However the FMV out of Sub-Zero M was missing.

That and the N64 only has about 10 games worth playing.

Wrong Wrong buszzz the N634 collection spanned hundreds with replay value. You just need to get of the suace! Sqaaaawwwkk!!!!!

Jesus fucking Christ.

Mods - are you listening? Surely one of you knows who Regalsin was and can match up the IPs. I know I've said Redie is Regalsin, I know others have said he's Regalsin, how many more times do we have to point out the obvious until one of you actually does something about it?

Dude is clearly a troll and needs to be banned again. For fuck's sake. This is the reason so many people around here are so disillusioned with some of the policies put into place recently.

bread's done
Back