Official GRID Thread-6/4 $10 Gift Card @ CC (Demo in PS Store)

primetime

CAGiversary!
Grid is a true evolution for Codemasters' acclaimed racing series, which first appeared as the TOCA (DTM/V8) Touring Car games (1997–2000) and became the TOCA (DTM/V8) Race Driver series (2002-2006). Challenging players to become the number one race driver in a new world of exhilarating motorsport, Race Driver: Grid takes players on a tour like never before; to beautifully realized racing locations through Europe, the U.S., Japan and beyond. The game will feature the most extensive range of events in the series, combining official circuit-based championships with road races and urban street competitions.
grid-20080522031830575.jpg

IGN review- 8.7 http://ps3.ign.com/articles/876/876208p1.html
There are plenty of other racing games on the market, but Grid captures the soul of the track like none other. The crashes are insane, the races are intense, the cars are coated with style and the overall presentation is just plain sexy. Although its car count is low, customization is limited and the repetitive dialogue grates a bit, Grid's stands out as a stylish but serious alternative to both hardcore driving simulations and over-the-top arcade racers.
Gamestop preorder bonus
bonus_offer_top.gif
clear.gif
508198_bonus.jpg
clear.gif

Pre-Order GRID and receive a GRID T-shirt and a GameStop-exclusive code that unlocks additional muscle cars. Offer available for online and in-store purchases. Supplies are limited. T-shirt and code will be shipped with the game.

FAQ From Codemasters
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4044428&postcount=1
Final Car List
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4029292&postcount=1
Final Track List
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4029330&postcount=4

I'll probably be buying the game when it drops-it looks real solid. Is there any interest in this game? (If not, I'll let this thread die) I think it'd be neat if we got enough guys to have an online CAG league.

Feel free to discuss the demo, post times and drift scores, etc. for now :)

I'll be getting this. Probably shortly after launch. So I'll be game for some online. It'd be nice if we had a CAG night, but I'm not sure what the interest level is like. It's definitely looking like a solid game.

IGN - 8.7
POMUK - 9
Eurogamer - 9

I played this one thinking that it would be so-so.. The graphics and driving style is quite good and the demo was a big surprise for me. This is on my must purchase list now. The replay feature was fun to try and camera angles are great.

I played the race where you are in the Mustang and was doing great for a while but then got banged up and almost wrecked the car a few times. The replay had my friend and I rolling on the floor laughing. Looking at the wheels just hanging on by a string as I tried to make my way to the finish line was too funny.

Overall the driving mechanics are somewhere between Gran Tourismo Real and PGR arcade like. This is a good mix and I expect to have many hours of fun with this one. Can't wait to grab this one when it comes out.

It's sad this game is getting no attention. Does no one in this forum like racers!!!!

A pity, because if this game had a strong online community here I'd have kept it a while.

I liked the demo on the PS3, but still want to try it out on the 360 to see how it controls (got accustomed to PGR4 scheme). Also, I might want the nerd points, but we will see....

[quote name='StrandedBrit']It's sad this game is getting no attention. Does no one in this forum like racers!!!!

A pity, because if this game had a strong online community here I'd have kept it a while.[/quote]

Yeah this game has had 0 hype. I thought racers were generally popular, but I must be wrong.

The racing in this game is so intense. Just try it out people!

I tried the download last week, and hadn't been this excited about a racing game in a while! Replays were fantastic. The only weakness I saw was inside the cockpit the steering wheel looked almost 2d/flat at some angles. My brother didn't see that when I mentioned it, so it might just be my eyes, though.
loopy_toungue.gif

My gamestop gave me the tshirt you get for pre-ordering when I was talking about it in there. The OP mentions it, but if you get the pre-order tshirt, don't forget to grab the special car codes from the packaging.

The demo was pretty awesome, I was reminded of Dirt (same company) but that's a good thing in my book. The problem is that I have plenty of stuff to play at the moment and this will, like most non-Mario Kart racing games, drop in price pretty quickly. I can see this being $40 on Amazon within 45-60 days.

Maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket today and let that determine if I can spare some cash for this.

Codies are already patching this game. They've been really receptive to the community so far.
Patch details:
http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285786

So I hope I'll see some of you guys online sometime, since I doubt we'll have enough to start up a game night (though I hope I'm wrong). I haven't gotten a chance to crack it open yet, but I hope that there's an easy way to join games that friends are in online. If so, my handle is to the left.

Still debating which version to get. I will prolly lead towards what most CAG members get. Even though I want this game, I really shouldn't get it since MGS4 is around the corner.

Played some more of the demo online today and some people are just plain dicks in this game. In the touring race of the demo, just before the first turn, there is always some asshat that has to ram into your car at full speed and your car is completely fucked up. Good thing there is an option to kick people.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Still debating which version to get. I will prolly lead towards what most CAG members get.

Played some more of the demo online today and some people are just plain dicks in this game. In the touring race of the demo, just before the first turn, there is always some asshat that has to ram into your car at full speed and your car is completely fucked up. Good thing there is an option to kick people.[/quote]

In the patch details there are some changes to collisions, but I don't quite understand what they mean (maybe for people swerving to prevent overtaking?) until I check it out.

The first corner crap is frustrating, but I can avoid it most times by either hanging in the back of the pack if I'm in the back of the grid or braking super late to get around the corner before the carnage. Also, be the first one to ready up since that partly determines order. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do ;) The idiots are the reason why I hope enough CAGs can get a group together.

[quote name='primetime']In the patch details there are some changes to collisions, but I don't quite understand what they mean (maybe for people swerving to prevent overtaking?) until I check it out.

The first corner crap is frustrating, but I can avoid it most times by either hanging in the back of the pack if I'm in the back of the grid or braking super late to get around the corner before the carnage. Also, be the first one to ready up since that partly determines order. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do ;) The idiots are the reason why I hope enough CAGs can get a group together.[/quote]

That is probably the only way to avoid it, is to be in the back. It is impossible for me to be in the back since I get screwed over the first turn. I usually finish last when that happens and when the next race starts, I'm in the first position to start things off....its a vicious cycle. But, sometimes there is just nothing you can do

[quote name='ZerotypeX']That is probably the only way to avoid it, is to be in the back. It is impossible for me to be in the back since I get screwed over the first turn. I usually finish last when that happens and when the next race starts, I'm in the first position to start things off....its a vicious cycle. But, sometimes there is just nothing you can do[/quote]

:lol: Yeah, you're right. The only advice I can give when you end up in the front is to get into the turn as early as possible and brake as late as possible without hitting a wall/going off the track. Don't let anybody take the inside line (much easier said than done, I realize) because then you're toast.

I'd be up for some CAG night action. Unfortunately Amazon has yet to ship my game, so I'm thinking I'll be lucky if I have it before next weekend!

EDIT: Shipping Tomorrow.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I'd be up for some CAG night action. Unfortunately Amazon has yet to ship my game, so I'm thinking I'll be lucky if I have it before next weekend![/quote]

I'll try to remember to add you when I get the chance.

Keep it coming people! Even if we have 6, that's enough for some decent races.

So I'm guessing no one's playing this gem?

I finally got to play this with some regularity this week and I'm loving it. Haven't tried online yet though. I'll be playing this a lot more this weekend.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']So I'm guessing no one's playing this gem?

I finally got to play this with some regularity this week and I'm loving it. Haven't tried online yet though. I'll be playing this a lot more this weekend.[/quote]

Sadly, it seems not.

I dabbled in online but I've been advancing through career mode. I've cleared Japan but still have a long way to go in Europe.

I gotta do some promotion work because this game really is that good.

Amazon has it for $50.

Alternatively, if you live in the midwest todays Meijer ad has $10 off a purchase of 50 or more.

I played the game and enjoying it so far, but I do stupid stuff at times.

Also, IF there are enough people who want to play, we could have a CAG night sometime (probably never will be regular since I doubt we have enough interested). I did see I create a game and password protect it (kind of like Warhawk).

bread's done
Back