what's the best tactics style RPG?

allen9917

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
FF Tactics? Disgaea? I played Jeanne D'arc on PSP and really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend some good tactics RPGs on PS 1/2/3? Thanks!

I've people say Disgaea is good, but I have yet to play it. Also, you should get the PSP version of the first one. It is enhanced. Also, FF tactics for the PS1 may be hard to find so you should get the PSP version of that too =P.

FFT (I haven't played the psp version but I assume it's the same) if you include PS1 games. Disgaea if you don't. I would go with the first disgaea. After that any of the other NIS games should be good (I haven't played all of them).

[quote name='LeafPanda']You should also try Chaos Wars which came out yesterday.[/quote]

Yeah it shipped yesterday but anyone have it yet? the Gamestop I reserved it at seems a little confussed on when it will actually be in store.

As for SRPG titles go:

Disgaea 1-2 (PSP Disgaea is the same thing with the extra Etna mode)
LA Pucelle Tactics (Great story and characters does not get the love it deserves)
FF Tactics (Get it on the PSP it is better then the PSone original and easier to find)
Soul Nomad (you have squads instead of one character but great and funny)

Arc the Lad:Twilight of Spirits (Excellent game can be found for $5 used)
Suikoden Tactics (really good and pretty much went under the radar)

Pretty much any NIS SRPG is a good bet but the ones I mentioned were my favorites.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Yeah it shipped yesterday but anyone have it yet? the Gamestop I reserved it at seems a little confussed on when it will actually be in store.

As for SRPG titles go:

Disgaea 1-2 (PSP Disgaea is the same thing with the extra Etna mode)
LA Pucelle Tactics (Great story and characters does not get the love it deserves)
FF Tactics (Get it on the PSP it is better then the PSone original and easier to find)
Soul Nomad (you have squads instead of one character but great and funny)

Arc the Lad:Twilight of Spirits (Excellent game can be found for $5 used)
Suikoden Tactics (really good and pretty much went under the radar)

Pretty much any NIS SRPG is a good bet but the ones I mentioned were my favorites.[/quote]
Right now on GS its labeled Back Ordered and when I put in my Zip code it said no stores have it. I guess I'll just have to wait.

Disgaea is pretty good , wasnt much of tactics lover but that game changed that. la pucelle tactics might be good, never really wanted to play it though

I am shocked no one has said Tactics Ogre. Unless I missed it. That and the GBA one, Knights of the Lodis are both awesome.

Derrick, when did you pre-order Chaos Wars? Mine says backordered and the store has not called me for my back-up reserve.

Front Mission 4 is excellent. I liked Final Fantasy Tactics more for the story and sountrack, but FM4 had much better combat.

final fantasy tactics has the most epic story ever. i like the extra features of the psp version (extra characters, new class) but the new translation with its over-perfection is just as bad as the original engrish translation, but lacks the charm. that being said, i prefer the psp version and recently unlocked the dark knight class and finished the deep dungeon.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I am shocked no one has said Tactics Ogre. Unless I missed it. That and the GBA one, Knights of the Lodis are both awesome.

Derrick, when did you pre-order Chaos Wars? Mine says backordered and the store has not called me for my back-up reserve.[/quote]

I pre-ordered mine in store on Thursday because I kind of forgot about it... Ahh after talking to an employee I would not expect it untill Monday-Tuesday...

[quote name='Derrick1979']I pre-ordered mine in store on Thursday because I kind of forgot about it... Ahh after talking to an employee I would not expect it untill Monday-Tuesday...[/quote]

Thanks, I give them a call tomorrow

[quote name='depascal22']Disgaea hands down. Tactics is great but it's been there done that.[/quote]
...FFT came out in 1998.

In terms of gameplay, Disgaea can't be touched. Sinking 250+ hours into it would not be out of the question.

I still prefer FFT overall, as its story and characters are still better than most RPGs. It has my favorite game soundtrack, too.

I really enjoyed phantom brave. Having the thick double jump strat guide really helped.

I'm doing disgea 2 now.
I enjoyed Front mission 3. but for some reason front mission 4 just bored me and I never got more than 5 hours into it.

I know FFT came out in 98 but we've seen a GBA and PSP remake since then. None of them have really expanded the gameplay at all. That's what I meant about been there done that.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Vandal Hearts 1 & 2[/QUOTE]

vandal hearts is great. we need more games like that. try wesnoth as well. very simple, yet online play is challanging

[quote name='kinnertwo']chrono trigger sucks. must have been good in the day. now days it is a waste[/QUOTE]

Blasphemer. Anyways, the correct answer is Shining Force II. But for PS2, I'd probably go with Disgaea 1/2

Did I miss something with FFT? I remember trying it out on my PSP a while back and I don't think I go past the first mission/tutorial. Either it was the interface and how you moved and gave orders or possibly something else but I stopped playing.

I guess I can get it another shot, I tend to like Tactics games because I find all too often that controls are the main problem in PSP games and tactics games are turned based so there is no rush.

FFT can be a ridiculously punishing and unforgiving game (that applies to the whole series really, but moreso with the first game than the sequels), and the story makes no goddamned sense. I went through it once back on the PS1, really have no urge to do so again. I don't get the huge reverence for it.

Final Fantasy Tactics is still the best. I also really like the Front Mission series. I find Disgaea and La Pucelle Tactics require too much power leveling and get tedious. Gladius is also a fantastic tactics RPG and is one of the more underrated games in the genre. A big shame it didn't do well and never got a sequel.

Well, most of the great T/SRPG have been mentioned. So, here's a dungeon clawer with tactical movement, lots of fun and very cheap - Nightmare of Druaga. For the PS/P, you might want to look at Carnage Heart also.

BTW, for me: Ogre battle, FFT, Vandal Hearts, Front Mission.

bread's done
Back