CAGcast #122: Double Dragons

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
There's silliness aplenty, with small patches of seriousness as we discuss the impending CAG re-launch, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Win 1 of 3 1600 Microsoft Point Cards
Review us on iTunes!
Join the CAGcast Facebook Group

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast122.mp3[/media]Download - 100 minutes, 40MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture:

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

nice show guys i liked the little lawsuit segment this former graphics designer has to really be retarded. oh before i forget cheapy im supposed to ask for you address so i can send you something to autograph :D also the story about buying weed at e3 with rock solid was funny as fuck

Lego Batman would be great if they had all of the different versions of Batman, Robin, Joker, etc. from over the years that Batman's been remade in TV shows, cartoons, movies, and even the comics, too.

So CAG 2.0 is getting the Google beta treatment, where it comes out in somewhat gimped form and things are added in as time goes on, though I'm guessing you won't be calling it a beta for several years after it comes out.

How did Cheapy never know that Baby Mario is just a baby version of Mario? He's been around since Super Mario World 2.

Why not watch the retrospectives GameTrailers has been showing for the past few weeks, Cheapy?

Yay! Will listen tomorrow--I'm just too absorbed in MGS4 right now, and will be heading to bed soon...

Edit: you know, as much as I enjoy the show and realize you guys will have the best discussions talking about the games and genres you like, it feels like sometimes you're copping out by skipping over stuff you aren't interested in like the 360 JRPGs. I don't think I want to see you forced to talk about stuff you don't want to, but it's something to think about at least in as far as broadening the audience of the CAGcast in general.

And CAGcast needs more "special guests". Difficult due to scheduling and such I know, but it's time.

Lego Batman would be great if they had all of the different versions of Batman, Robin, Joker, etc. from over the years that Batman's been remade in TV shows, cartoons, movies, and even the comics, too.

So CAG 2.0 is getting the Google beta treatment, where it comes out in somewhat gimped form and things are added in as time goes on, though I'm guessing you won't be calling it a beta for several years after it comes out.

How did Cheapy never know that Baby Mario is just a baby version of Mario? He's been around since Super Mario World 2.

Why not watch the retrospectives GameTrailers has been showing for the past few weeks, Cheapy? My GameStop had only about 40 people waiting in line for MGS4.

By "crushing" someone, it's mostly just a ploy to act like you hate them in a feud. If you get in a feud with Nick's show, the CAGcast's ratings are sure to go up. Controversy always creates hits.

Mark McDonald left 1up several months ago and joined John Ricardi, who also worked at EGM a few years ago, at his localization company and worked on MGS4 helping make sure the English writing is tight and the subtitles are timely and accurate. So he got to play MGS4 long before most people outside of Kojima Productions.

Good show. I'm working on creating such a backlog of my questions that you'll just have a show dedicated to my questions. ;)

the reason Vietnam is a bad setting for a game is because the Gulf of Tonkin incident which launched the war turned out to be a fake setup according to declassified info and the US used chemical and biological weapons on the populace. Its an embarrassment much like the Iraq war which is also based on lies. Good show guys. Btw the story in MGS1 & 3 is pretty easy to follow, MGS2 is the one thats focked.

:rofl:@ "HEAVY BARRELS!"

I used to play the shit out of that game at Aladdin's Castle.

And nice pic of Tai, Cheapy. We actually just ordered some of them floor pads that lock together for our little guy.

ROFL about Veronica Belmont. i gotta admit it, Cheapy, she's pretty darn cute. FYI, she got famous when she was a producer for the CNet Buzz Out Loud podcast. i used to listen to her on that show before she left for greener pastures. but i will not pay for QORE for her or anything else that has been previewed. i was a subscriber to the original Playstation Underground way back (I still have all of them until they were cancelled) and QORE is nowhere near as good from what i've read. and i still can't believe they put unskippable commercials for something you PAY for. no thanks Sony.

btw Wombat, your neighbor is a fucking retard.

Have not seen the Limbo of the Lost trailer but it can't be worse than this

can it?..........

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uulwyYo2Wp0&NR=1[/media]

Great show,

I especially liked the part about Tribes.

I've been a Tribes fan since the first one and I still think Tribes 2 is one of the greatest Multiplayer experiences I've ever had. I wish Free form X Y axis shooters would become more common because while most shooters are the same I think the Jetpacks and Scale is what set Tribes apart from any other game I've played before.

Ever since Tribes Vengeance it's been downhill from there and the future of this beloved franchise is not looking to great with Empire Fall Legion a "Browser Game" which doesn't look bad except that being a game you play in your browser it won't have anywhere near customisability as the original did.

I leave you with a skill video of Tribes 2, now enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAmFPL6xgc[/media]

You guys didn't talk about Rock Band coming out for the Wii

I thought CheapyD was going to say Wombat Penis fits in the Earphone Jack on the DS lol

i think Ninja Gaiden 2 is better then Stranglehold to me doing combos with all those different type of weapons is fun

Call of Duty 5 is going to Suck another WWII game wow great NEW idea:roll:

for now every time i see BIG BOOBS i'm calling them DOUBLE DRAGONS!:lol:

BTW, the "Legions" game, made by the team that made Tribes will be at: http://www.instantaction.com/

This could be interesting. If the Tribes gameplay style is kept, then I'll deal with the graphics. Also, from what I've seen, the customizabilty might surprise you.

wow "Stranglehold better than Ninja Gaiden II" huh. i'm sorry, cheapy, my respect for you as a gamer has gone down a bit more =P

Excellent show! I'm glad y'all mentioned the Limbo of the Lost controversy. What's most shocking is that somebody actually thought about releasing a game of that quality in 2008! The quality of the game is HORRIBLE!

1995 called and it wants its game back. Holy crap. I think games in the 90s might have actually looked and played better than this!

I'd like to meet the team of people who put this together and actually thought it might be a good idea to try and sell it to the same audience who may have upgraded their computers to run Crysis. The CEO probably wears a helmet (with chin strap) at all times to protect his delicate brain and probably says interesting things each day like, "Have you seen my baseball?".

F'n Hilarious show as always, guys! I, also, am going to utilize "Double Dragons" in any and all boob-related conversations! Thanks Cheapy!

Awesome Facebook page too, guys!

..."stewart", huh? :eek:

I like how CheapyD says I don't want to imagine mario's ass, followed by a harcore graphic description of a super mario bros. gangbang of princess peach, making it pretty obvious that CheapyD loves imagining some hot mario ass. Nintendo fanboy confirmed! Good episode! I laughed my ass off.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, Once again another steller show!

Personally I think Wombat has a good opportunity for voice over work in the AV industry!

Cheapy/Wombat,

Now whenever I reference breasts I will be thinking of Double Dragons and Contra. Like there weren't enough breast euphemisms out there already, now I will be using games to reference them: "She's got some mad Donkey Kongas yo!" "Check out THOSE Boom Blox!"

Thanks alot guys.

Much love,
- Deefuzz

was the intro music from Rock n' Roll Racing? sounds so vaguely familiar...

this is going to drive me crazy...

Olaf looks lost out there!!!!!!

I am intrigued by the idea of a CAG-themed Tribes-styled game.

Point of history. Tribes and Tribes 2 were actually produced by Dynamix, a company that was bought out by Sierra On-Line. Dynamix was later closed down by Sierra. However, most of the team who used to work at Dynamix stayed together and eventually formed Garage Games. Garage Games actually owns the rights to the game engine that was used to produce Tribes 1 and 2. That engine is the Torque engine. Garage Games has continued development of that engine, and is currently liscencing it out for independent game development. It is one of the cheapest and most popular game engines in the indie-gaming scene for large-scale First and Third person shooter development.

If you guys know any coders, a CAG-themed Tribes-esque title might be feasible.

In regards to a CAG game. I think you have to make any advanced scouts into little speady's. He's always one step ahead of everyone as it is.

1. Vietnam
Mandatory reading: Philip Caputo's "A Rumor of War." There will be a test later, so be prepared.
Also: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/17/

2. Tribes
Starseige: Tribes and Tribes 2 were developed by the hot shots at Dynamix. After finishing development on Tribes 2, the entire team was canned by Sierra/Vivendi. The Dynamix veterans moved on to form their own studio, GarageGames. Originally, they worked on some small XBLA-level games; Now they manage their online browser game service, InstantAction. It's currently in open-beta, so you can just sign up and play most of the games for free (Though there is some paid DLC in their store). Unfortunately, their games are based off of DirectX, thus they are currently not playable on Macs, though members of the team have said that they are working on Mac support.

Most notable of their games is one called Fallen Empires: Legions, a game that some blogs have called the spiritual successor to Tribes. It certainly has many of the same elements as Tribes; Jetpacks, skiing, some weapons (Chaingun, Sniper Rifle that gives away your position), and in-general, fast-paced capture the flag/deathmatch action. It's currently in semi-open beta, which means that you have to send an e-mail to them to be put on a waiting list. The beta status also shows in the content, at this time, there are only four weapons, two maps (Snow map and Grass map, with a Desert map on the way), and quite a few problematic bugs. Still, they have been diligently working on updating the game; squashing many of the bugs, it seems that the maps, weapons, and controls have been tweaked, and they recently added dedicated server support.

Some links
Early Beta footage from March:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMaOZOQmHyY[/media]
Recent video showing moves you can do with the Overdrive function (Drains health for a sudden burst of speed and agility)
InstantAction blog with community updates and the podcast
InstantAction web site

EDIT: While typing this post, I logged on to the Legions beta and went into one of the new dedicated servers. Our Deathmatch game was later joined by Tim Aste, one of the game's lead developers, who was testing out the new build that went live today. Needless to say, he wiped the floor with us...

In response to Cheapy being somewhat confused about the Metal Gear storyline. If anyone else (because with all his free time I'm Cheapy has already seen them) is a confused in the slightest or never played a Metal Gear Solid game check out the Metal Gear Retrospective on GameTrailers.com

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html

Part 6 ties them together very well. Excellent podcast by the way Wombat and Cheapy.

I spit in laughter all over my PSP while playing MLB 08 when Wombat said "Metal Gear Solid 4: Subsandwich"... great joke or greatest joke?

bread's done
Back