Deep Discount DVD - Buy 1, Get 1 Criterion Sale!

joeyatog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Buy 1 movie from the select list of titles below and receive 1 of equal or lesser value free. When purchasing multiple movies you will be charged for the higher priced items and those of equal or lesser value will be at no charge. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Prices are subject to change. Offer Ends 7/29/08 at 11:59pm CST
Don’t see your discount? Type in promotion code : B1G1CRITE0807 at checkout

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---HBO-Comedy-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm

I know that URL looks weird, but it seriously links to a Criterion Sale!

Worked fine for me. This is now officially the most dangerous DVD thread until the end of the month-- for your wallet.

[quote name='Poor2More']$35-$40 for Criterion DVD's in which I never heard of before!!! What is this Criterion?[/quote]

Quite simply, one of the greatest collections of both domestic and especially foreign films that have ever graced the silver screen.
The majority of the Kurosawa library (Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, et al) are in the collection, as well as other monumental films (like the Italian masterpiece The Bicycle Thief) that should be seen. The prices are higher because the transfers are given meticulous attention, and often feature extras from the original source or newly created ones that delve deep into the film's history. They often contain commentaries from film historians, picking the films nuances to death.

Truly a DVD label for the film connoisseur.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Watchman']Worked fine for me. This is now officially the most dangerous DVD thread until the end of the month-- for your wallet.

Quite simply, one of the greatest collections of both domestic and especially foreign films that have ever graced the silver screen.
The majority of the Kurosawa library (Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, et al) are in the collection, as well as other monumental films (like the French masterpiece The Bicycle Thief) that should be seen. The prices are higher because the transfers are given meticulous attention, and often feature extras from the original source or newly created ones that delve deep into the film's history. They often contain commentaries from film historians, picking the films nuances to death.

Truly a DVD label for the film connoisseur.[/QUOTE]

QFT... There are some great movies that would never have been given such treatment anywhere else... Seven Samurai is one of the greatest movies ever, Third Man, M, 8 1/2, Seventh Seal... some classics with a few newer movies thrown in too (esp if you like Wes Anderson)

This could be a very expensive sale for me... will begin by upgradin my copy of third Man and buying F is for Fake

[quote name='Watchman']Worked fine for me. This is now officially the most dangerous DVD thread until the end of the month-- for your wallet.

The majority of the Kurosawa library (Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, et al) are in the collection, as well as other monumental films (like the French masterpiece The Bicycle Thief) that should be seen. The prices are higher because the transfers are given meticulous attention, and often feature extras from the original source or newly created ones that delve deep into the film's history. They often contain commentaries from film historians, picking the films nuances to death.

Truly a DVD label for the film connoisseur.[/quote]

A main reason for the higher prices is because they are not a film studio. They have to buy the rights to publish each and every one of the films in the collection. Then, they have to hope they sell a fraction of the volume a Hollywood DVD would sell. Add in how great a job they do compiling extras and cleaning up the films, and you've got a more expensive disc. But if you love film, there is nothing finer.

Call me crazy, but I actually own the entire Criterion collection (over 400 titles) and I have never seen I that didn't floor me. These films are amazing.
Also, this sale is amazing. In the years it's taken me to get all these films, nothing has come close to the awesomeness of this sale. The best deal I could work out previously was B2G1 at Barnes and Noble, 10% off for a new release stacked with the 10% membership card. That only ever worked for the $40 titles, though. The $30 ones never had a 10% new release sticker. This sale blows that one out of the water.

This is an incredible sale.

Tragically for me, though, I'm all caught up on the Criterion movies I need--they go out of print so fast and become valuable so quick that I don't hesitate if there's one that I want. I currently own 82 of them, almost all of which I paid full price or close to it for, and they're worth every penny. Criterion is far and away the best thing to happen to regular DVDs. (Incidentally, they're releasing their first wave of Blu-Ray titles in September.)

And not to nitpick, Watchman, as your post is very good, but Bicycle Thieves is Italian, not French.

been spending too much money lately. Just spent over $100 at Best Buy on Batman related dvds.

:/

Haven bought a Criterion in like 4 or 5 months. Still like 10 out there I wouldnt mind owning.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']This is an incredible sale.

And not to nitpick, Watchman, as your post is very good, but Bicycle Thieves is Italian, not French.[/quote]

...and I damn well knew that. Well, that's embarrassing.

Fixed.

Oh, and not to nitpick Sirhansirhan, but it's The Bicycle Thief. :lol:

Actually Bicycle Thieves is still correct. It's the original italian title, plus that's the title on Criterion's actual DVD.

Durden, you're crazy :)

I picked up the cheapy titles:

The Red Balloon (seen this about 20 times at elementary school)
White Mane
Paddle To The Sea
Night And Fog

total: $24.25

It's kind of disappointing to see Seven Samurai listed at $40, I picked mine up from Amazon for $27.xx a while back, but they're back up to $35, too.

Wow, I didn't see this until now. I haven't bought many Criterions lately, mostly because I've gotten caught up with just about everything I want (150+ titles? Sheesh, even I'm embarrassed) and mostly because I've been waiting for some big sale like this. Of course, money's tighter now and their Blu-rays are around the corner, so I'm trying to be ultra-cautious about what I get.

I wish the prices weren't so weird on the Eclipse titles..I'd love to get the Kurosawa and Silent Ozu but the discount isn't quite so hot unless you place separate orders of duplicates or something. Sigh..I guess we'll see.

I've often believed that Criterion is responsible for the modern DVD and Home Theater "movement." The stuff they were doing on LaserDisc was the precursor to dvd with extras and trailers and Director's Commentaries that we take for granted today. I would go as far as to say that they made widescreen the default format for home entertainment through their insistence on "letterboxing" and may be ultimately responsible for the advent of the Widescreen TV. Yes, they are that important and this is a great deal. :)

This sale is great. I bought a few things during the 20% off that would have been cheaper now. I still think might pick up two more. That Monsters & Madmen boxset looks real tempting.

[quote name='zman73']This could be a very expensive sale for me... will begin by upgradin my copy of third Man and buying F is for Fake[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that The Third Man will be one of the first Blu-Rays that Criterion puts out.

DD actually lets you buy stuff that is out-of-stock and use the sale coupons. It will just ship when it arrives!

I just bought some stuff on the last 20% off sale too. But this is too good to pass up. Probably going to pick up Children of Paradise, The Furies, and maybe some more Kurosawa!

[quote name='durden26']Call me crazy, but I actually own the entire Criterion collection (over 400 titles) and I have never seen I that didn't floor me. These films are amazing.[/quote]

Even Armageddon? :)

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Even Armageddon? :)[/quote]

and The Rock? lol

But seriously, if I weren't only buying Blu-rays these days, I would probably spend close to a grand this morning on these. I just have to be patient for Kurosawa Blu-ray goodness. It gives me shivers.

I got Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters and Army of Shadows.

I might get Man Bites Dog and Koko, a Talking Gorilla later.

Hmmm...time to pick up and watch Seven Samurai finally? But Amazon has it for 34.99 and I don't see anything else I might want from Deep Discount. Anyone have another movie suggestion?

Edit: Thinking of Seven Samurai and Rashomon. How fast do they ship? And do their stuff come well packaged? I hate dinged up Criterion boxes.

This is a phenomenal deal! I'm so looking forward to taking advantage of it. I wish i would have known about this during the DD 20% sale. I would have waited on a couple.

Also, why the hell is Bob le Flambeur (sp), and especially La Haine, not there? I so want to buy La Haine. I love that movie after i watched it recently.

[quote name='ryosnk']Would any of these be blu rays soon?[/QUOTE]

Anyone know the BR release schedule for Criterion? I'll do a quick look-see.

Edit: Here is the first set
The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

[quote name='lurknomore']Anyone know the BR release schedule for Criterion? I'll do a quick look-see.

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear[/quote]

other than the ones that are already on dvd, will things like chungking and bottle rocket be put on dvd?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Also, why the hell is Bob le Flambeur (sp), and especially La Haine, not there? I so want to buy La Haine. I love that movie after i watched it recently.[/quote]

It IS there. Translation: Hate.
Goofy they listed it that way...

DDD shipping isn't the quickest. But it's free and not too long a wait if it's an in-stock item. I just ordered a bunch of stuff, including some Criterions and nothing was dinged up. They put extra paper in the box for padding.

Also, Criterion will continue to release everything on DVD so I assume Bottle Rocket and Chungking will be released on DVD as well if they aren't already.

Well damn, never mind...Seven Samurai and Rashomon are out of stock? Do they get Criterions restocked or are print runs limited to the initial batch (so just go ahead and put my order in to be safe or they won't get anymore)?

[quote name='tch65721']It IS there. Translation: Hate.
Goofy they listed it that way...[/quote]

Thanks.:lol::D

I hadn't thought about checking for it under its translated title since most places listed it under the original title.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Well damn, never mind...Seven Samurai and Rashomon are out of stock? Do they get Criterions restocked or are print runs limited to the initial batch (so just go ahead and put my order in to be safe or they won't get anymore)?[/quote]

Yes they will get plenty more in, especially seven samurai. Most of them are out of stock right now probably because they don't stock too many criterions to begin with since there is not a huge market for $30 dvd's.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Even Armageddon? :)[/quote]

Yeah, those of are The Titles That Must Not Be Mentioned. Every discussion of Criterion titles automatically excludes those two.

I just wish that Rebecca, Notorious, and Spellbound were in print in some form. After the Criterion release, there has never been any other release for those films, at least to my knowledge. I love Rebecca, and just want to see the other two. I still don't understand how Criterion lost their contract for those, or why they haven't gotten them back in print either.

[quote name='lurknomore']Anyone know the BR release schedule for Criterion? I'll do a quick look-see.

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this list. You saved me $40. I was going to buy El Norte on DVD. Guess I'll put that $40 towards the blu-ray version. Great movie! Saw it the first time in my 7th or 8th grade class, and a second (and last) time on my local PBS station (and I missed over half of it). years ago. I've been dying to see it again recently.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I just wish that Rebecca, Notorious, and Spellbound were in print in some form. After the Criterion release, there has never been any other release for those films, at least to my knowledge. I love Rebecca, and just want to see the other two. I still don't understand how Criterion lost their contract for those, or why they haven't gotten them back in print either.[/quote]MGM has been dragging their feet on their Hitchcock set for years now (along with their David Lean one...they eventually put out the Sergio Leone disc, long after the R2 came out), but they finally announced some form of it for October http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/alfred-hitchcock-premiere-collection.html

Hmm, this is a tough one. I've moved on to BD exclusively now but damn, B1G1 is damn hard to resist. And God only knows how quickly or when Criterion will get around to doing the movies I want on Blu-Ray.

I've ordered out of stock DVDs numerous times, and they've restocked and shipped very quickly every time.

[quote name='Brak']Just ordered Man Bites Dog and Le Trou.[/quote]

Never seen Le Trou, but excellent choice on Man Bites Dog. It's a tough watch, and a brutal one at that, but the film is incredible. The stylized lighting, etc. It'll be tough to want to watch it again, but I have....just give it time.

Anyway, why Le Trou? And could you post your dvd collection/link just to see what other Criterions you'd recommend, or just post which ones you think are worth owning. I already own most of the Kurosawas (might get the couple I missing during this sale), Man Bite Dogs, the Hitchcock films, etc.

I'll post my link as soon as the site starts working for me.

bread's done
Back