Looking for a cheap weight bench

TheShepherdSauce

CAGiversary!
Ok, so I'm looking for a cheap bench that I can fit in a small college dorm apartment. Basically, to conserve space, all I want is a regular bench with a leg developer attachment. Something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5155938

or

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-99250...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1217367928&sr=1-22

Except both seem to have their individual problems. The first is apparently high off the ground and sucks to use for dumbells (I'm only 5'9") and the second seems like it'd be awkward to use for laying leg curls.

Any other suggestions? Are there any brands i should stay away from? Also what do you call those rubber mats they have at gyms (that protect the floor if you drop a weight)... I can't seem to find them on the internet.

This is the first time I've seriously attempted to get fit since i blew out my knee playing soccer about a year and a half ago. Since then I've gained 30 lbs. and been depressed about not being able to play sports again. So yea, hopefully i can gain enough motivation to fit in my pants again. lol

If you're at a college, I'd assume they have a rec center with a gym in it. Just using that would be a better bet.

If not, the above advice to watch craigs list is solid. I wouldn't focus on the leg attachment, I've never seen a bench with a good one and leg extensions/curls aren't great exercises anyway. Ok as shaping exercises, but won't help add size--need squats, leg press, dead lifts etc. for that.

About 5 years ago I bought a Weider bench from KMart for ~$60 that looked similar to what you posted. It worked fine for me and everything I needed to do, but as for the dumbbells, I'm over six feet tall and have monkey arms so I'm not sure if height was an issue. Also, it was probably due for another tightening of the bolts after a few years, but I don't use it anymore so I can't vouch for long-term durability.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I wouldn't focus on the leg attachment, I've never seen a bench with a good one and leg extensions/curls aren't great exercises anyway. Ok as shaping exercises, but won't help add size--need squats, leg press, dead lifts etc. for that.[/quote]

I used to do a whole leg workout before I tore my ACL playing soccer (squats, lunges, leg press, etc.). I had surgery and did physical therapy, but my leg is still no where near as strong as it should be. I've been doing squats and lunges without weights but they just don't offer any resistance, and I'm not mentally ready to do those exercises with weights yet. So that's why I'm focusing on a leg developer... just an intermediate step till I have the confidence to return to my prior workout.

[quote name='QiG']About 5 years ago I bought a Weider bench from KMart for ~$60 that looked similar to what you posted. [/quote]

I totally forgot about Kmart. I'll definately stop by one and see what they have to offer.

I'll check out craigslist but it seems like the specifics i want in a bench is hard to find (ie: leg developer + no side arms for holding barbells to conserve space) not to mention I don't have a gas guzzling SUV or truck to fit an assembled bench in.

bread's done
Back