Requiem: free-to-play M-rated MMO game

space_monkey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Has anyone else discovered this free-to-play MMORPG game?
http://www.playrequiem.com
http://requiem-wiki.org

I am a cheap ass gamer and I never played an MMO before because I can't bring myself to pay for something over and over each month. Diablo II with battle net was fine...buy the game then play online for free! Now this is free across the board but they offer premium and cash shop items for those that want to pay... I'm doing fine as free player for now so the game doesn't seem to force you into premium....yet...
Well I was looking for something to tide me over until Diablo III is released and earlier I had failed to get into the Mythos beta when I came across this game. (Coincidentally it uses the Havok physics engine that Diablo III will use and it's fun to watch heads and limbs go flying while monster corpses twitch on the ground!)
It's certainly not perfect and has the bugs I hear are expected for a newly released MMO game(think it went live in June) but it has been really playable, fun and addictive for me so far.
I'd read the wiki and the forums and watched some YouTube videos of Requiem before I created an account and downloaded the client. I created a character on the Valdes server and a starting point of Crescent and I was having a blast in no time. There is not a lot of micromanaging your character stats, etc. which is good for me as I can just focus on picking my desired class and then choosing the right skills and equipping/upgrading items. Although I'll probably need to start a new character since I've made some poor choices with mine so far...

I'd never played an MMO before so I was not familiar with the mechanics of an MMO but I was able to pick it up fairly quickly. I'm not sure how this would compare to the gameplay style of say an Everquest and if previous MMO experience would help or hurt your enjoyment of the game...
There haven't been many game patches since I started playing but I hear they are adding a new race/classes soon...(classes are race specific so you should know what class you want to play before creating a character since its race will determine what class choice you'll have)
Sorry if this is a long post but I've had quite a but of fun with this and didn't really hear it ever mentioned. I figured I'd post this in case there are players looking to check out a free MMO game that I personally have had a lot of fun with so far. I hear there may be an exodus from Hellgate:London and not everyone has been 100% happy with Age of Conan so maybe this game will give you something to pass the time with no required monetary investment.

PS. don't ask about the Bloodymare in the game title... I have no idea... I just call it Requiem.

One other thing... the documentation on the official site is woefully inadequate so the wiki is a much better resource. The forum on the official site is extremely helpful with race/class specific subforums containing skill and build info.
Also the General discussion forum has plenty of threads detailing the good and the bad so you may want to check that out for other opinions:
http://www.playrequiem.com/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=1

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='space_monkey']

PS. don't ask about the Bloodymare in the game title... I have no idea... I just call it Requiem.[/QUOTE]

A spin off "night"mare? or maybe there's bloody horses running around in the game?
the video was ridiculous...
maybe this guy does have a job in game development.

Trailer looks good.

Heres my question for ya.

In the little preview video it shows the use of various skills. Now, I happen to love Diablo partially because of the spammability of every skill. In the Requiem video, for example, it shows a sword guy doing a sort of whirlwind attack where he spins around and hits a couple guys.

Now, the problem with most MMO's is that either the mana cost for such a skill is so high that you can only use it a few time before having to down a potion or go somewhere and /sit for regen, OR the cooldown times on those skills are so long that you only get to use them on occasion.

So, are the skills spammable?

[quote name='crystalklear64']

Now, the problem with most MMO's is that either the mana cost for such a skill is so high that you can only use it a few time before having to down a potion or go somewhere and /sit for regen, OR the cooldown times on those skills are so long that you only get to use them on occasion.

So, are the skills spammable?[/quote]

That is still the case here to an extent. I believe you were referring to the warrior class which I think is the most mana challenged. I haven't really had too much of an issue but I've played as a caster so far. Most warriors actually rely heavily on auto-attack to deal most of their damage and use skills for stun, aoe, or a damage burst. There are potions of course but also there are consumables that can be used to restore HP, MP or buff you for a short period. Sitting is full MP regen, standing/walking and then combat are progressively less. http://www.playrequiem.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6310

My first char has been a caster which has a higher MP pool and MP regen rate and I still have to sit but it has never really been a distraction. Besides I am more likely sitting for a quick HP regen anyway so I'll get the MP recharge at the same time. Since I typically try not to aggro too many mobs, I usually pick a spot where I can take on 1 or 2 individually and then I have to wait a short while for them to respawn. So I just sit quickly to give a boost when I can.

Here is a thread from the forum that discusses the Warrior MP problem from someone whose actually played that particular class extensively and offers ways to mitigate it:

http://www.playrequiem.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6310&start=1

From what I played of it, it felt WoW like, and it was laggy as heck so I kept getting 1 shot death alot when on screen, I was pretty far away.

Hope they fixed the quests too, because some of them were just not wrote out well.

[quote name='xycury']From what I played of it, it felt WoW like, and it was laggy as heck so I kept getting 1 shot death alot when on screen, I was pretty far away.

Hope they fixed the quests too, because some of them were just not wrote out well.[/quote]

So its your standard free-to-play MMO from korea, where it copies the current king and attempts to sucker in kids with less-than-wonderful gameplay?

[quote name='xycury']From what I played of it, it felt WoW like, and it was laggy as heck so I kept getting 1 shot death alot when on screen, I was pretty far away.

Hope they fixed the quests too, because some of them were just not wrote out well.[/quote]

I've never really had any lag... While I've had several disconnects, the gameplay was smooth for me. But yeah the melee range of monsters is a bit ridiculous you're when running away... you look like your 20 feet in front of them and they are whacking you as you flee.... They haven't done anything about that yet.

I think there are 2 starting areas and Crescent is the more polished. Turba was a late edition and while they've cleaned it up a bit I hear that some of the quests aren't exactly too clear as to location. Whenever I had a question I'd ask other players in the area and they were pretty helpful.

[quote name='georox']So its your standard free-to-play MMO from korea, where it copies the current king and attempts to sucker in kids with less-than-wonderful gameplay?[/quote]

As far as I've heard it's standard Korean MMO but the M rating is supposed to set it apart. I've never played any other MMO Korean or otherwise but I have to admit that for a free game, while certainly not the deepest experience (go talk to this person, kill X number of these) it's actually quite playable... but keep in mind I'm no connoisseur. My brother is an Everquest junkie and we play together occasionally and we had a blast... Only thing I heard him complain about was that there was no "follow" option for movement...

bread's done
Back