Superman to be rebooted.... AGAIN!

Returns wasn't a reboot

I mean it kinda was, but it was still a sequel

And darker Superman movie? Yes please

[quote name='anomynous']Returns wasn't a reboot

I mean it kinda was, but it was still a sequel

And darker Superman movie? Yes please[/quote]

I know Returns was like a cross between a reboot and sequel. Superman as a dark movie? How dark can it get?

[quote name='becuzimbrown']Superman Returns was almost a remake of the first Superman movie.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmm

Not really

But I don't know how a dark Superman would turn out, but if they do it right, it will be good. Just cut down on the cheese in the movie, and make it as realistic as Superman can get.

Outside of the Death Of Superman story, Supes has never been dark. The only thing they have to learn is that Lex Luther is not a suitable main villain for the movies

I never read comics, but I was a huge fan of Superman TAS... to me, Superman isn't supposed to be dark / brooding. I don't think it's going to work.

[quote name='Koggit']I never read comics, but I was a huge fan of Superman TAS... to me, Superman isn't supposed to be dark / brooding. I don't think it's going to work.[/QUOTE]

Even if they made it more like TAS it would be better. That show was more serious than the movies are.

Darksied or Doomsday as the main villain. ... So much for Singers comment "Go all Wrath of Khan like!" for his sequel.

Returns couldn't have been a reboot of the first one because we know the writers/producers of Returns wanted US (you, me and everyone else) to IGNORE parts 3 and 4 like they never happened.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Outside of the Death Of Superman story, Supes has never been dark. The only thing they have to learn is that Lex Luther is not a suitable main villain for the movies[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is that, aside from Lex Luthor, none of the other Superman villains are really recognizable by the mainstream audience. I'd kill for a Brainiac or Mister Mxyzptlk movie, but I think I know why they keep going back to Luthor.

Some of the articles I've seen said that they wanted to apply this to ALL of the DC characters, which would affect anything involving, say, Wonder Woman, the Flash, or the Green Lantern. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Dark Wonder Twins? Dark Plastic Man? :whistle2:k

Give it to christopher nolan, let him do it and a 3rd Batman.

Then later have him do an adaption of The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel

[quote name='Koggit']Superman isn't supposed to be dark / brooding. I don't think it's going to work.[/quote]

I Agree 100%.

DC needs to get off their ass and invent a new super hero. Trying to manipulate one of the staple heroes to emulate another iconic one will not work. This will end in utter failure with the Director bitching about how people don't understand his vision.

Hancock > Superman

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']The problem with that is that, aside from Lex Luthor, none of the other Superman villains are really recognizable by the mainstream audience. I'd kill for a Brainiac or Mister Mxyzptlk movie, but I think I know why they keep going back to Luthor.

Some of the articles I've seen said that they wanted to apply this to ALL of the DC characters, which would affect anything involving, say, Wonder Woman, the Flash, or the Green Lantern. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Dark Wonder Twins? Dark Plastic Man? :whistle2:k[/quote]

Before I saw TAS I have always known about Luthor and Bizzaro. Luthor has always been a pain in the ass for Superman because I believe he is the only villain who doesn't have super powers, yet he uses his pure genius to bring the man of steel down.

Unless the writers can produce a villian truely unique, then the main stream audiance (not the comic geeks) won't like what is shown. Now when they say going to give us a darker superman...guess who comes to mind when it comes to dark stuff? Yep Tim Burton. Bet you he's going to be on the top list of people the studio is going to wait for the new darker superman.

[quote name='ITDEFX'] Yep Tim Burton. Bet you he's going to be on the top list of people the studio is going to wait for the new darker superman.[/quote]

Like they did about 12 years ago with Nic Cage as Supes and fighting polar bears?

:rofl:

[quote name='becuzimbrown']Nic Cage was awesome in Face/Off!

C'mon![/QUOTE]

That and Lord of War

But anything else, specifically Ghost Rider, is horrible.

Yea, Lord of War was sick.

But, I really don't think they should reboot the series. I'm sick of Lex Luthor and did Superman Returns really need to show Superman as a child again?

I say they keep him in the Justice League movie(s) and that's it.

[quote name='anomynous']Give it to christopher nolan, let him do it and a 3rd Batman.

Then later have him do an adaption of The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ITDEFX']Unless the writers can produce a villian truely unique, then the main stream audiance (not the comic geeks) won't like what is shown. Now when they say going to give us a darker superman...guess who comes to mind when it comes to dark stuff? Yep Tim Burton. Bet you he's going to be on the top list of people the studio is going to wait for the new darker superman.[/QUOTE]

This is assuming they even want to be involved. Nolan hasn't even signed on for a third Batman movie yet (which I think it's safe to assume he'd do before ever even thinking of doing a Superman movie), and it's been more than fifteen years since Burton was involved in the Batman franchise. Most directors and actors don't like being pigeonholed in a particular franchise or a restrictive genre, it seems, so I'm not sure either would be willing to do a Superman movie right now.

Even if they were involved, there's no guarantee things would work out. Bryan Singer did okay with the first two X-Men movies, but his Superman Returns obviously didn't go over very well.

If they are intent on rebooting the franchise, there are better ways to do it. New blood would be a start, and so would not forcing the movie into a "dark" tone that isn't really reflected in the vast majority of Superman comics and stories.

Here's the problem with Superman...

HE'S BORING

Only semi-interesting story they could use in a film is a Last Tempation type of story with Brainiac

Well this seemed quite likely after the Dark Knight success. I think they will probably take more of a smallville approach, although with that show pretty long in the tooth it is anyones guess if they can make it work. Maybe a death of superman-ish movie? You could certainly do a two-movie death/rebirth story.

[quote name='manthing']Like they did about 12 years ago with Nic Cage as Supes and fighting polar bears?

:rofl:[/quote]
You're forgetting the giant, robot spider! C'MON! GIANT ROBOT SPIDER!

The thing with Bryan Singer's Superman is his heart was in the right place, but man he focused waaaaay too much on the relationship between him and Lois. That and the costume redesign was really just awful. Though story wise I'd like to really see something epic like with Apokalips and Darksied. Since that could be one massive storyline(s) with maybe a first movie hinting at it and it going into Darksied either arriving on Earth to get Anti-Life Equation or Superman going to Apokalips and for once being the aggressor for the good of all.

Since no offense to Lois, but goddamn I'm sick of every movie focusing on her constantly needing to be saved or in peril.

[quote name='bardockkun'] Though story wise I'd like to really see something epic like with Apokalips and Darksied. Since that could be one massive storyline(s) with maybe a first movie hinting at it and it going into Darksied either arriving on Earth to get Anti-Life Equation or Superman going to Apokalips and for once being the aggressor for the good of all.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure Darkseid would be available due to
He was the rumored main villian of the JLA movie that was killed last year(?)

[quote name='manthing']I'm not so sure Darkseid would be available due to
He was the rumored main villian of the JLA movie that was killed last year(?)
[/quote]
The Justice League movie won't be happening ANYtime soon is the thing though. Since now Warner is following Marvel's lead and starting film franchises with DC characters and then make a JLA movie once the ones they want are established. So the JLA movie I don't think should even factor in until...I want to say a decade or so.

Though it kinda sucks because I don't want Nolan's Batman to be on a team unless he can think of some kinda good script with Robin/Nightwing.

Superman written by the right hands would be great. I'd like to see Grant Morrison's penned script for a new Superman film, he was interested in rebooting the superman films, why not let him have a shot.

[quote name='joe2187']Superman written by the right hands would be great. I'd like to see Grant Morrison's penned script for a new Superman film, he was interested in rebooting the superman films, why not let him have a shot.[/quote]
My only fear is either we're not going to get straight forward Morrison (All Star Superman, WE3), instead Jesus Christ too much shit happening to comprehend Morrison (Final Crisis, Batman RIP, Seven Soldiers and to an extent The Invisibles).

Superman Returns was awful. Superman has sex with Lois Lane, wipes her memories, leaves, and then comes back years later?!?! WTF, Bryan Singer!

Retell the origin, new krypton, new Jor-El, new Jonathan Kent, and NO LEX LUTHOR! Instead go with Brainiac.

Go with a British director and cast. Hell it worked with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

[quote name='joe2187']Superman written by the right hands would be great. I'd like to see Grant Morrison's penned script for a new Superman film, he was interested in rebooting the superman films, why not let him have a shot.[/QUOTE]

Morrison's vision of Superman is pure love of how the character was in the Silver Age, but I got to go with Geoff Johns. His take on Superman and tying Brainiac into Kyrpton's history is fantastic.

Good, because Superman Returns was abysmal. Shit, they had Kevin --freakin'-- Spacey, and screwed up his role.

I second Johns. I only want Morrison if he focuses on the film (which won't happen as he'll have fifty-brazillion other projects to tend). His Wildcats run was terrible. He's become Millar 2point0.

[quote name='bardockkun']The Justice League movie won't be happening ANYtime soon is the thing though. Since now Warner is following Marvel's lead and starting film franchises with DC characters and then make a JLA movie once the ones they want are established. So the JLA movie I don't think should even factor in until...I want to say a decade or so.

Though it kinda sucks because I don't want Nolan's Batman to be on a team unless he can think of some kinda good script with Robin/Nightwing.[/QUOTE]

Who's to say they've got to use Nolan's Batman?

Joel Schumacher's Batman is still available. :D

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Who's to say they've got to use Nolan's Batman?

Joel Schumacher's Batman is still available. :D[/quote]Supes would just make fun of his bat-nipples.

[quote name='JolietJake']Supes would just make fun of his bat-nipples.[/QUOTE]

If we're going for a Justice League movie, that might not be a bad thing. Live action Super Friends? :lol:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Who's to say they've got to use Nolan's Batman?

Joel Schumacher's Batman is still available. :D[/quote]
I don't think anyone wants to see Batman yield to a villain merely by having his nipples twisted in a fight scene...

Chase, isn't Millar more like Morrison 2.0? Does anyone know who has been writing longer? I'm sure Morrison been around longer? Hell, I remember reading his Arkham Asylum graphic novel when i was in high school. That was a long, long, long time ago.

[quote name='BecuzImBrown']Superman Returns was almost a remake of the first Superman movie.[/quote]

[quote name='anomynous']Ummmmm
Not really[/QUOTE]

I can see where Brown is coming from. There's way too much of the first Superman film being done on Superman Returns that it feels almost like a remake. Supes and Lois flying around, Lex trying to take over the world by destroying it and other things. While its got an nice modern polish to it.... Superman Returns just lacked the heart and soul that made the Reeves era Superman films work. Which yes.... includes Superman 4.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Chase, isn't Millar more like Morrison 2.0? Does anyone know who has been writing longer? I'm sure Morrison been around longer? Hell, I remember reading his Arkham Asylum graphic novel when i was in high school. That was a long, long, long time ago.[/quote]

Well, it's not about when they first started writing. It's when their writing (and planning) started to get bad. The quality of both writers has gone/went down the tube once they/when they have/had too many projects. A good, funny example of this is of how they worked together on issues of The Flash in the late-1990s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Superman Returns was a good reboot and the guy made a good Superman. I don't see why they have to start over again.

Returns wasn't a reboot.

And if they do have Lex Luthor, I wonder if it's gonna be Smallville origin.......

(Michael Rosenbaum for Luthor would be nice, by since he stopped doing the show...)

[quote name='anomynous']Returns wasn't a reboot.[/QUOTE]

Plotwise, no - it's meant to be a sequel to Superman II.

Unofficially...I'd be inclined to say yes. Throwing out two movies in the franchise and bringing it back after ~20 years has got to count for something.

[quote name='Matt Young']Tom Welling please.[/quote]

I have mixed feelings about Tom Welling. It starts with how I think he's a poor actor.

If Michael Rosenbaum would reprise his role as Lex Luthor, I would appreciate it. He's quite talented (and funny, if you watch the Smallville outtakes).

Returns wasn't that bad. People actually enjoyed it during the midnight showing and was clapping a lot during some of the good scenes, like when Superman saves the plane from crashing into the stadium.

bread's done
Back