Best time to buy a new computer...

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
would you buy a new computer now or wait is there anything major new coming or major price drops

Last edited by a moderator:
Put it this way, I bought a laptop a month ago. It's now outdated.

It doesn't matter when you buy it, it'll be outdated in months. And computers never really fall in price, so, buy whenever you like. Just be a true CAG, and look for coupons. ;)

Build your own. Then when it becomes obsolete you are only putting in one or two new parts at a time, not buying entire new computers and having to find people to give your old junkboxes to.

you might still be able to get on some back-to-school specials if you're looking to buy RIGHT NOW. If money is a major concern, black friday is probably your best bet. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

[quote name='slidecage']would you buy a new computer now or wait is there anything major new coming or major price drops[/quote]

[quote name='slidecage']i just change the topic : ) anyone know if its best to buy a pc now or wait[/quote]

Now.

General rule of tech product shopping: if you decide to hold out for a better model, you will never end up buying anything. Because by the time you can get your hands on the better model, an even better one just got unveiled at CES. Bite the bullet, buy now. That goes for iPods, HDTVs, PCs, digital cameras, whatever.

The best time to buy a new computer is when you have enough money to buy a new computer. What you may want to find out is if there will be any significant changes to hardware to where waiting may be the best course of action. Oh, and I recommend buying a desktop computer. That is, unless you need a portable computer. If that's the case, I recommend a tablet PC.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']General rule of tech product shopping: if you decide to hold out for a better model, you will never end up buying anything. Because by the time you can get your hands on the better model, an even better one just got unveiled at CES. Bite the bullet, buy now. That goes for iPods, HDTVs, PCs, digital cameras, whatever.[/QUOTE]
I disagree with that.

Think about the supposed 360 price drops coming in a few days. I want a 360, but I'm not gonna pay 50-80$ extra for getting to play a couple days "early."

Same goes with processors, video cards, etc.

Buying on the day closest to the time a price drop happens is usually what people are wanting to do.

That said, there's nothing really amazing coming for PCs that will just blow away everything out right now for at least a year or two.

So now would be a decent time to build a comp.

was thinking about this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999995700050012&type=product&id=pcmprd95800050012

BUT to watch TV and record does it record to the Hard drive of the system or to like DVDS

but then again i dont have a cable going into that room for cable so i would need another cable hook up

one without tv out

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999995700050009&type=product&id=pcmprd95800050009

for 1000.00

computer alone for 820 (seems a little high)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8891773&type=product&id=1212192194844

if i did play games on it probally just like Gametap not going to be a major gaming machine. Just enough to power office softwere and maybe online games

the pc i have right now sort of works just fine (good enough ) but i would like a better one

one i have now is 6 years old. 1 GB of ram and only 60 GB of hard drive (what 50 is used up for pictures meaning the pc is slow as hell)

For a computer, I would say buy within a month of you actually needing it, so it gives you time to look for some deals, and time to mess around with it a bit. Intel and AMD both refreshed their notebook lines so now is as good a time as any if you're looking for one, if it's a desktop, prices always fall so just buy it when you need it.

Buy it when you need it.

There's no point in buying two months ahead of time as you run the risk of missing out on a better deal down the road or getting more computer for your dollar as time goes on.

On the other hand, there's no point in holding on to your P.O.S. for another two months in hopes for a killer deal that may or may not come, or some new processor that offers a 5% performance increase for 50% more cost. You pay a huge premium on new components. Unless you're absolutely certain you want to wait and pay more two months down the road on a new processor or whatever I don't see the point in waiting if you really need a new computer now.

Wait until your old PC starts having smoke coming out of the vents.

8-[ Well, at least, that's what I did and actually found a better one cheaper than what I paid for the less than 2-year old PC that fried($400 for the old one w/ a CD-R drive, $300 for one w/ a CD-R/DVD-+RW drive & 4x bigger hard drive).

bread's done
Back