Official Spore Thread

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I did a search, but didn't find a thread on this game. I'm shocked since it comes out next week. If I overlooked a previous thread about it, just lock this one. Anyway, onto the thread:

spore1header.jpg

How will you create the universe?

With Spore you can nurture your creature through five stages of evolution: Cell, Creature, Tribe, Civilization, and Space. Or if you prefer, spend as much time as you like making creatures, vehicles, buildings and spaceships with Spore’s unique Creator tools.

CREATE Your Universe from Microscopic to Macrocosmic - From tide pool amoebas to thriving civilizations to intergalactic starships, everything is in your hands.

EVOLVE Your Creature through Five Stages - It’s survival of the funnest as your choices reverberate through generations and ultimately decide the fate of your civilization.

EXPLORE your world and beyond - Will you rule, or will your beloved planet be blasted to smithereens by a superior alien race?

SHARE with the World - Everything you make is shared with other players and vice versa, providing tons of cool creatures to meet and new places to visit.

While Spore is a single player game, your creations and other players’ creations are automatically shared between your galaxy and theirs, providing a limitless number of worlds to explore and play within.

Videos
Spore's Youtube Profile

Creature Creator Free Trial!

UNIQUE GALACTIC EDITION CONTENT: $79.99

'Making of Spore' DVD video
'How to Build a Better Being' DVD video, by National Geographic Channel
'The Art of Spore' hardback mini-book
Fold-out Spore poster
Premium 100-page Galactic Handbook

CAG Spore Profiles

Rei no Otaku
Draekon
VioletArrows
Spybreaker
yester

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has anything they want added to the OP let me know. Also I was thinking of putting everyone's Spore account names in there.

You shouldof bit when it was $60 at Bestbuy.com. I felt it was worth it then but not at the price it's at everywhere now.

Oh shit it comes out next week? Sneaky. The Galactic Edition seems really cool. $30 more seems pretty steep though seeing as how there are a million games coming out this Fall that are near day one purchases.

I wont be surprised to see the Galactic Edition lingering around and ending up on clearance. $80 is a hell of a price to pay for some additional reading material and a couple bonus DVDs.

Yeah, it'll be down to $60 by January at the latest.

Interestingly, I saw a billboard for Spore in Emeryville, CA near IKEA on I80.

So no one knows what the DRM is going to be? Will I be renting it ala Mass Effect with a limited number of installs?

[quote name='keithp']So no one knows what the DRM is going to be? Will I be renting it ala Mass Effect with a limited number of installs?[/quote]

I'm unfortunately going to guess that this is gonna be the case, especially with EA being the publisher.

I'm going to wait and see what the DRM is like before I make a purchase.

Re-e-heeeeeally good game. I put first impressions up on my blog here.

While I've never really been reeled in by one of Will Wright's masterpieces, I've played all of the notables, and I have a great amount of respect for him as a designer. Because of this, I shouldn't be surprised at everything Spore does right, but I can't help it. Thus far, the game is both accessible and compelling, and succeeds at being big and small at the same time. I'm still just getting my feet wet on what Wright has achieved here, but even just making it to the creature phase has won me over completely. The meticulous design stays out of the player's way while doing everything you need and the amount of personality in such a customizable game continues to astound me. However, I ended up at a point far beyond just appreciating its design.

I'm downloading this game right now. I'd heard about it... like two years ago, then I lost track of it, and a couple of my friends were talking about it today, so I watched a few videos and... well, now I'm here watching the download bar.

No midnight releases I'm aware of. I paid off my copy today, and will be picking it up first thing tomorrow.

Btw, figured I should say this. We all know the game has been leaked onto the net. If you want to steal the game, fine. Yeah, I'll think you're a douchebag but that's your choice. Thing is don't talk about stealing the game in this thread. I don't want it locked/deleted because of thieves.

Don't think that was directed at me, but just want to make clear that when I say downloading I mean from the official site.

I'm going to use a $10 bucks off of $75 or more coupon I'd seen floating around and pick one up from BB tomorrow. I can stomach 69.99 considering how long I've waited for this game to come out.

[quote name='KamiNoYadoru']Re-e-heeeeeally good game. I put first impressions up on my blog here.[/QUOTE]

Shh, don't tell HIM! ;)

Seems from the reviews I've read it's got alot of neat parts, but isn't really a hardcore game, which could describe alot of the Sims franchise I guess. For me it depends on how engrossing those parts are--some of them seem pretty lite and fluffy.

[quote name='keithp']Shh, don't tell HIM! ;)

Seems from the reviews I've read it's got alot of neat parts, but isn't really a hardcore game, which could describe alot of the Sims franchise I guess. For me it depends on how engrossing those parts are--some of them seem pretty lite and fluffy.[/QUOTE]

All of them except the last, Space, scenario are light and fluffy. Almost every mode is a one trick pony, you're either eating something, or singing to something until you get enough points to evolve into the next phase. I really couldn't be less impressed with the game, it doesn't really have any sort of epic feel and the leaps between each stage of evolution are so dis-jointed that you never really get the feeling that the space ship you are flying evolved from a single cell that you once controlled. Spore is really a collection of mini games at best, with a simpler 4x style game at the end.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']All of them except the last, Space, scenario are light and fluffy. Almost every mode is a one trick pony, you're either eating something, or singing to something until you get enough points to evolve into the next phase. I really couldn't be less impressed with the game, it doesn't really have any sort of epic feel and the leaps between each stage of evolution are so dis-jointed that you never really get the feeling that the space ship you are flying evolved from a single cell that you once controlled. Spore is really a collection of mini games at best, with a simpler 4x style game at the end.[/quote]

how long between each phase? That sounds awful.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']All of them except the last, Space, scenario are light and fluffy. Almost every mode is a one trick pony, you're either eating something, or singing to something until you get enough points to evolve into the next phase. I really couldn't be less impressed with the game, it doesn't really have any sort of epic feel and the leaps between each stage of evolution are so dis-jointed that you never really get the feeling that the space ship you are flying evolved from a single cell that you once controlled. Spore is really a collection of mini games at best, with a simpler 4x style game at the end.[/quote]

+1

This game has no depth in my opinion. I don't see myself starting over with a new creature because everything is so simple. It was a good thing I tried it at my friends house before I bought it.

Anyway, I went to get the Galactic Edition.

Truth be told, the GE is really a VERY nice looking package.

I got $10 GC, Free T-shirt, PLUS I used $15 OFF $100 coupon PLUS 2 $15 games... Total came up about to $95+Tax($100). So with $10 GC in there, it's $25 Total Savings.

The bottomline is, I got the GE for the regular price, pretty much.

However, I still do NOT agree some DVDs and books is worth $30. By that, I have a feeling the GE itself will be cheap SOON. Maybe a Amazon DOTD in 30 days?

This what I will do.

Keep it 30 days, without opening it.

See if the GE sells out or what the case is with it within a month.

If there is still A LOT of GEs available for sale, I think I will return this.

Smart move. ? :)

[quote name='Bretts31344']This game has no depth in my opinion. I don't see myself starting over with a new creature because everything is so simple. It was a good thing I tried it at my friends house before I bought it.[/quote]

Damn. Is it really that BAD? :cry:

Well, after reading impressions here and a bunch of reviews, I canceled my pre-order. Seems like Civilization IV might be more up my alley. I haven't been paying terribly close attention to the game, but over the years I've watched some cool presentations, read some articles, and other things that lead me to believe the game would be much deeper than what it is. My fault for thinking they would shoot for the world (and hit it) with Sims, then go back to making deep and complex strategy games, I guess.

But I'm totally getting my nephew and niece this game for Christmas. :D

[quote name='ninja dog']how long between each phase? That sounds awful.[/QUOTE]

I would say the first section is 30 min or less, second section maybe an two hours, third and fourth about an hour each. The last section, space, seems more open ended though.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I would say the first section is 30 min or less, second section maybe an two hours, third and fourth about an hour each. The last section, space, seems more open ended though.[/quote]

totally not what I was expecting with this game...I thought there would be more to do in each phase.

You guys are making me afraid to buy this game haha.

I will probably buy it today if I get some free time. Everything I have seen on the game and from my experience with the creature creator, Spore seems like it should be awesome.

[quote name='SuperJedi']Damn. Is it really that BAD? :cry:[/quote]

From the 1UP review, "As I mentioned earlier, strictly as a game, Spore's a flawed effort in five different genres, smushed together in a casual-player-friendly manner."

There is the exact reason I don't like. I supposed I was just expecting something way different, but during each phase there is only a few different things to do. It just doesn't hold my interest.

[quote name='Razzuel']You guys are making me afraid to buy this game haha.

I will probably buy it today if I get some free time. Everything I have seen on the game and from my experience with the creature creator, Spore seems like it should be awesome.[/QUOTE]

I can't suggest enough that you not buy the game. Unless you like simply designing things, the actualy game play is lacking. Granted, if you loooooved the creature creator, maybe it will be worth it since you have to design every single building, vehicle, and creature you use in every phase. To me, it got to be a chore that I had to design 3 buildings each phase to build a city.

[quote name='Bretts31344']From the 1UP review, "As I mentioned earlier, strictly as a game, Spore's a flawed effort in five different genres, smushed together in a casual-player-friendly manner."[/QUOTE]

I like that we've gotten to the point where a game that fails at basically everything but tries to be creative still gets high scores.

[quote name='SuperJedi']Damn. Is it really that BAD? :cry:[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make me want to play it. I've been waiting so long for this game, but after I started it up and got through the first two stages, I could turn it off and play Civ Revolutions or Kingdom of Loathing. No urge to play = not fun for me.

Wow, these impressions aren't what I was expecting given all the positive hype the games been getting.

I was going to cave in and pick the game up this week, but now I'm going to hold off until I can get it dirt cheap somewhere down the line.

Wow I was really tempted to buy this on my day off from work. Now after reading the posts I'm going to stay away from it. All the years it took to make this game and from the sounds of it, it is not that great.

bread's done
Back