Best free virus scanner?

Free Artest

CAGiversary!
I was browsing download.com and I was wondering what the best FREE virus scanner available is? Currently I'm using the free version of AVG Virus Scanner. Is there anything free that's better?

Also any good free programs that will help speed up my computer/internet?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Sorry, didn't read your post, but no, there's not much that's better AND free. Hell, not much that's better and not free.[/quote]

^ what he said. I use AVG also.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Avast has a 92% rating compared to AVG's 72% on Download.com.[/quote]

You actually trust what the ratings say on there? The complaints are the usual "it doesn't find viruses", etc which people have been saying forever, but I have never had a virus and AVG has always gotten rid of the few that I did get. What people don't seem to understand is that AVG updates almost every single day and I guarantee that most people update once a month. Even if it does have a problem it will probably get fixed in a couple of days since it is always being updated.

Anyay, AVG is the best free antivirus. The new free version is practically identical to the full version. And best of all, AVG does not bloat your system or suck your memory like Norton and almost every other scanner does.

Avast and AVG are the best, hands down.

If you were to pay, I'd recommend Kaspersky, Nod32, FProt, or F-Secure.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='GuilewasNK']Avast has a 92% rating compared to AVG's 72% on Download.com.[/quote]

You actually trust what the ratings say on there? The complaints are the usual "it doesn't find viruses", etc which people have been saying forever, but I have never had a virus and AVG has always gotten rid of the few that I did get. What people don't seem to understand is that AVG updates almost every single day and I guarantee that most people update once a month. Even if it does have a problem it will probably get fixed in a couple of days since it is always being updated.

Anyay, AVG is the best free antivirus. The new free version is practically identical to the full version. And best of all, AVG does not bloat your system or suck your memory like Norton and almost every other scanner does.[/quote]

Well he said he already uses AVG and was looking for others. I was the only one that didn't post AVG again. Plus, I have used both and I prefer Avast. The ratings were just to show that a lot of people like it and it should be looked into.

I used AVG for a long time and just switched to Avast within the last week. Avast gave me more options and control over problems that arose on my computer. Definitely recommend Avast.

Thanks, it looks like AVG and Avast are the way to go, I'll have to check out Avast and see which I prefer.

What about other programs to speed up my computer/internet? Anyone know of any?

i use avast! as my main antivirus program (i.e. i keep it on all the time), and avg as a supplementary virus scanner (i don't keep it on all the time). I used to use AVG as my main AV, but after I got my friend got a couple of trojans on the pc and AVG didn't detect it, i made the switch. Avast! finds a virus as soon as it's downloaded, unlike AVG

[quote name='Free Artest']Thanks, it looks like AVG and Avast are the way to go, I'll have to check out Avast and see which I prefer.

What about other programs to speed up my computer/internet? Anyone know of any?[/quote]

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system.htm

AnalogX has a couple of programs. Maxmem is supposed to free up memory. I used it on a Win 98 PC years ago and it seemed to work fine. I don't know if it will be effective on an XP machine or not.

I dont know if this is helpful to anyone or not, but if you're in college check with your campus IT department. Mine gives away Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition to all students who want it, though the license is technically only good as long as I'm a student it is not enforced by the software.

AVG is rivaled by none. It won't find spyware, but thats not what its for. I won't say anything bad about Avast, but AVG has been the standard for a while now.

Have you tried the new free version yet? Its much less clunky.

I'm a fan of Avast! It has "resident scanners" that run constantly, always checking. I like that, and it doesn't seem to hog resources. (Not that I would know, my computer probaly wouldn't be affected anyways)

bread's done
Back