What are some good adventure games (recent or classic)?

woobacca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I've played these adventure games on my PC and am looking for recommendations on other good ones, new or old.

Adventures of Willy Beamish
Day of the Tentacle
Escape from Monkey Island
King's Quest VII
Leisure Suit Larry I, II & III
The Longest Journey
Myst
Runaway: A Road Adventure (in progress)

Sam and Max: Freelance Police (sig)
All of the Monkey Islands (I think 1 is my av)
Full Throttle
Loom
The Dig (never played this one)

agrees with above

hold on there youve played king's quest vii- but not the far superior v or vi !!!!

anything from sierra from about 1990-1995 is high quality

freddy pharkas
space quest
quest for glory
police quest

zork is hit or miss

Sanitarium and The Longest Journey are favorites of mine. And personally I would stay away from the Dreamcatcher adventure games.

If you like the lucas arts style try Zack McCracken and the alien mind benders.

If you've got an nes and like serious adventure games get Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and The Uninvited

Do a web search for "The Inventory" it's a free PDF based magazine all about adventure games

Space Quest IV (Roger Wilco and the Timerippers) was my favorite in that series.

I liked all the King's Quest games, especially I and V.

Riven, the sequel to Myst, was also really good if you liked Myst. Have Exile but haven't played it yet.

Adventure games were the best games ever, they are what I grew up playing. I don't know if I am allowed saying it here but there are sites like Home of the Underdogs with all sorts of cool adventure games on them. :)

Wow one of my favorite genres if not my favorite...

So instead of going all out I am just going to let you do some research LOTS of good games exist.

First and foremost you need to try Quest for Glory Series, as it’s a combination of adventure and RPG. Looks like you like RPG by your "Currently playing" list.

Then I would hit up www.AGDINTERACTIVE.com who has revived if you will the first two Kings Quest games... With speech full music and 256 colors instead of 16... Best part is they are FREE!

AGD is currently remaking Quest for Glory 2 so the whole quest for glory series will be in 256 color (as sierra remade the first)

That is a must hit up agd or as it used to be called Tierra

Also kings quest 9 is in development but it’s a while off yet try kq9.org I believe.

Then try www.Justadventure.com and look around its full of great games and links to other awesome sights with plenty of reviews. Actually I think their review was on Runaways cover or a snippet was at least. Very credible sight.

Then don’t forget that multiple games are remade and sequels of high quality are also abound. Like Maniac Mansions sequel. etc. All for free on the homebrew sites. I can’t remember the name right now but its mentioned on just adventure and ADGinteractive.

One of the games that grabbed me the most was Sanitarium. It can sometimes be found in jewel case form at Walmart for $10 new or ebay has em.

I personally have not liked many Dreamcatcher games as they stray from the old style point n click adventures.

Also don’t forget Lucas Arts and Sierra, as anything from them was gold in their days.

Maybe even try Syberia. But start with the older games, as they are a little quicker to beat than the newer ones... Runaway 2 is coming FYI...

* looks like I need to add some commas.... Oh well.

All of the Space Quest games except 6.

Sierra made a VGA remake of Space Quest 1, in 256 colors. Its my favorite adventure game of all time. King's Quest and Police Quest are also excellent, except for SWAT.

Blue Force is a great adventure game by the original (before PQ4) designers of Police Quest. I loved both Blue Force and Police Quest 4, PQ4 is a lot grittier than the rest of the series, Blue Force is pretty gritty too, loved it.

The Gabriel Knight games are pretty good, Lighthouse is ok.

And who could forget Leisure Suit Larry... Great series of games (except for the last two, which are horrible).

For next gen consoles, Syberia I and II, Broken Sword (1 on Xbox, 2 on ps1, 1 on GBA).

You can get many of these games from http://www.the-underdogs.org . Adventure games are by far my favorite genre.

I just remembered another game that I had played once, but for the life of me I can't remember its name. It had something to do with a guy getting caught in an alternate world (ok, that really doesn't help). Many of the characters were actually actors filmed in live action, and their movements were captured for the game. The environment had a really dark tone to it, although it wasn't a horror game by any means. One of the bad guys had this power to enter your dreams and mess with your mind. The one scene I remember had the main character talking to a girl, the girl taking off her shirt, then suddenly her head morphing into the ugly dream master bad guy's head. *shudder*. Anyone know this game?

Any game by Lucasarts and the whole Myst series was all kinds of genius. Zork Nemesis was a pretty decent Myst rip-off.

Am I the only one who HATED The Longest Journey? I only played a few hours of it, but most of it seemed like just talking to people without much in the way of real puzzles, and the writing was horrible. Syberia didn't look much better. Videogames should never star "spunky reporter" types.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Any game by Lucasarts and the whole Myst series was all kinds of genius. Zork Nemesis was a pretty decent Myst rip-off.

Am I the only one who HATED The Longest Journey? I only played a few hours of it, but most of it seemed like just talking to people without much in the way of real puzzles, and the writing was horrible. Syberia didn't look much better. Videogames should never star "spunky reporter" types.[/quote]

I beg to differ. Beyond Good and Evil flat out rocked!

My wife started the longest Journey and thats what it ended up being. It seems like a novel or something and given the fact I had no idea what the intro or half the story was I got confused and bored rather quickly.

We will eventually play it but.

I'd highly recommend all of the Kings Quest (5 is the best) and Quest for Glory games. Quest for Glory 5 is the best, but that's sorta rare now, so it goes for around $40 on Ebay. Also Shenmue I and II (my fav games but xbox/dreamcast only), and ummm.....

Just play the Quest for Glory series. Specifically the remake of 1, and then 4 and 5. You can get them for free online, if you know where to look. Illegally, but still free.

You can download free VGA remakes of Kings Quest I and II from www.agdinteractive.com both are great classics. They're in the process of redoing Hero's Quest 2 right now.

edit - I'd also recommend the Broken Sword trilogy. Good, solid adventure games.

I swear they've been working on the remake of QFG2 forever now. I've played all the QFG games except 2, because I don't like the whole typing thing, so I'm just waiting for their point n' click remake before I play through it for the first time.

The Kings Quest remakes that cornfedwb suggested are quite good, considering it was by fans. If you like any of the KQ games, then you absolutely must play through all of them including the fan remakes. I can't stress enough how awesome KQ3,4,5,6, and 7 are.. The first two are great games, but I think 1,2, and 8 are the worst.

Most of my childhood gaming was adventure games (easily pirated at the time), since I was deprived of a real console. Most people have the right idea in terms of recommendations. Here's my take...

I liked most of the Sierra games (anything with a "Quest" at the end). And of course LucasArts had their gems. The ones I liked from each company were...

Space Quest (loved 4-5)
King's Quest (loved 3-6, 1-2 really dated, didn't like 7, didn't play 8)
Gabriel Knight (LOVED 2, but all three are pretty good, tho I found the last parts of 3 disappointing)
Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory (Loved 1, 2, 4, liked 3 the least, never played 5)
Police Quest (like 1-2 better than 3-4)
Leisure Suit Larry
Willy Beamish
Gold Rush

Monkey Island (All of them were great)
Grim Fandango
Sam & Max
Day of the Tentacle
Loom
Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade

I also recommend the Legend of Kyrandia trilogy by Westwood, which is kind of like King's Quest (light hearted fantasy-ish). I got distracted in the middle of Sanitarium and Longest Journey, so I haven't finished either of them.

I liked SYBERIA & SYBERIA 2 a lot. Someone already recommended THE LONGEST JOURNEY...& recent ones that came out that I enjoyed were STILL LIFE & MOMENT OF SILENCE.

I like a lot of the games ADVENTURE COMPANY puts out...although some of the themes, etc. aren't exactly my cup of tea. (Tried that new caveman one...didn't really like it much)

This reminds me. I still need to finish Grim Fandango.

Even though I don't play many adventure games, I'm looking forward to And Then There Were None since I liked the book.

Yes all the Monkey Island games are hilarious. Play them all. (You can probably find the first two games around the internet for free)

I'd have to recommend anything by Tim Schafer. Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango (as mentioned) and Psychonauts are all amazing games.

I really enjoyed the style of Grim Fandango, but I felt the story got very weak in the last 1/4 of the game. The soundtrack is great; it came on CD with the game and I have it up on Soulseek.

I'll second Beyong Good & Evil. I picked it up at Best Buy for $10 (full price) and it was quite entertaining, if a bit short. The only other downside I can think of is that the story feels a bit incomplete, as the developers had sequels/prequels in mind, but the game sold so poorly that the will likely never get made.

edit: re the above post, I'm not sure if Schaefer did Full Throttle, and I've never played it myself, but I've heard many people recommend it.

Also, Sam 'n Max Hit The Road is my all time favorite adventure game, and I enjoyed the Monkey Island series as well.

bread's done
Back