Did games ever teach you anything?

zin63

CAG Veteran
i was reading the NYTimes article here: http://nytimes.com/2004/03/25/science/25EVOL.html

this egghead prof said "the findings 'raise the intriguing possibility that the decrement in masticatory muscle size removed an evolutionary constraint on encephalization.'" I only knew what that means cuz of xenosaga (remember the encephalus vr program?) So, has anyone ever learned something from a videogame?

I found out that fighting in bullet Time is very helpfull! Oh and That Animals can talk! Oh and that if I go down a sewer pipe there is this cool world with a princess and walking talking mushrooms!

Oh yeah and that there is allways a helath kit just around the corner!

Oh and That to kill a zombie shoot it in the head with a shotgun or step on his head with a size 12 boot

Oh yeah and No matter how fast you are going in a car and you smash into a concrete divider you car will suffer no damage and you will just flip back over and be able to drive again!

Oh yeah and that ... well thats bout it for now!

Oh yeah and...

You can suck ghosts up with a vacum cleaner!

You can Clean Spray Panit Grafiti off with water!

You can use the same clothes over everyday and the ladies still like you!

o yea a lot of stuff, infact one game in particular helped me a lot in world history... age of empires. i played it just for fun b4 but when i got into that class i knew most the answers b4 the teacher even told the class. everyone thought i was super smart or something ;) . also games wwII games helped a lot throughout US history. and my vocab skills have really increased with games. o yea.... and i cant forget all the weapons i now know how to reload/use and stuff :D.

yeah, games like battlefield 1942 sorta taught me about something about history.

..not really, i just recognized some of the maps with places my teacher said, and i'd just tell my friend "yeah, i remember that name, i owned on that map"

this may sound stupid, but nfl street taught me the basics of football

i never really liked it so i never bothered to learn...but i LOVE basketball and i LOVED the nba street series so i decided to pick up nfl street and learned a lot of football basics, lol

i know its not the "proper" way to play football...but there were some semi-realistic things in the game...

Yeah I've learned quite a few things because of games. I have had tests that I was like "Wait a minute, didn't they mention this in a game?", so I started writing and she was impressed I knew about it because it wasn't mentioned in the lecture.

Also, my mother isn't very fluent in English, so I really had no one to help me learn to read in the household, but thanks to RPGs back with the NES and wanting to play, my reading level greatly increased.

Also I learned that a burger will replenish your health, but add fries and a coke and you replenish just about all of it. Also that most good food is found in the trash cans, so check often.

I learned that when I die, I will offer the opportunity to continue or to just end it all. Or just have a friend with you at all times that have phoenix down, unless you're name is Aeris.

I learned that it's ok to run over pedestrians, because an ambulance is nearby to revive them; it is also ok for me to run them over, because another ambulance will come by to revive them too.

I learned that if I get a girl in the passenger seat and make the car jump up and down that I will replenish my health, but lose some of my cash.

I learned to respect and feel sorry for countries that still have a monarchy, after all their princesses are always captured on a monthly basis.

I learned quite a bit from Farenheit 451 (an old C64 game back in the day). Well, I learned about the book, not about life in general.

I've also learned that fire is painful. that if you remove the doors to a room where there is no food that eventually anyone in that room will die, and that I should have been a gladiator.

I don't think anyone mentioned this game, but I used to love the original Civilization on the PC. I learned all about the cities, weapons, wonders of the world, scientific advances, etc, cuz I seriously played it ALL the time! Believe it or not, it came in handy when I entered middle school and on through high school. My teachers couldn't believe that I knew what metallurgy was or that I had heard of the Hanging Gardens. I was a history/geography buff anyway, so it was great knowing all that bonus information.

Oh and :lol: to WSB's post. That was a good one!

I learned that if someone looks different you can drive a wooden stake through their chest and everything will be ok.

Wait..that's what I learned from watching too much Buffy.

From games, I learned that It's OK to have anger management problems when the game cheats!!...'cuz we all know the games DO cheat!! :evil:

Oh yeah and

I leanerd that if your in martial arts contest you can go ahead and kill the person and you'll be fine!

If you hide in a box the bad guys will quit lokking for you!

No matter the size of the explosion behind you'll never get hit with srapnel!

You can get shot by a bazoka and still live

If you can't get on top of something by jumping you can spread your arms and glide to it. Or do a double jump to get on top of it!

That turtles wear underware under their shells!

A broken item can be fixed by a part just laying in a different room. It is normally a small flashing item on the ground!

Plasma granades are better then frag Granades

Oh yeah, once I had a genetics test in high school and I had to write an essay on evolution. It was around the time I was playing Metal Gear Solid, so I went off on a tangent and wrote the whole thing using information on the lecture Liquid gives to Snake about "law of assymetry" and stuff. I think I got a ~97 on the test, and the teacher wrote she was thoroughly impressed with the essay. True story! :D

i learned how to be aware of my surroundings from playing counter-strike
and my hand-eye coordination improved..

I seriously think playing an excessive amount of RPG's when i was a kid helped a ton with writing skills and vocabulary improvement. Playing through an entire RPG is almost like reading a book, which means i read quite a few books in my free time....

bread's done
Back