Nintendo DSi (JPN) Pre-order $300 at Play-Asia (Ouch)

You should probably just order one and dabble around with it for fifteen minutes it will take you to get bored of it. Then give it away as a prize to us.

Thanks for the info Cheapy. Definitely will be waiting for this to price drop. So basically what I gather is Nintendo will include the following in the DSi:

- Built-in DS/Lite Browser Software ($5-40)
- Max DS/R4 Technology ($10 - 20)
- Built in Camera and SD Slot (?)

So basically I would be paying for the inclusion of a camera and the subtraction of the GBA slot. This doesn't seem to be worth the extra $170, especially since it looks like Japan will be the only one with the ability to save games on SD cards. Maybe if they added a Skype type feature it would warrant a huge price increase. I think $200 is a more reasonable price point, but I'm no marketing major. The one good thing for me is the DSi will knock DS Lite prices down.... hopefully.:p

The US version will be appealing in the US (to some, at least) for it's download content. Without the download content I can't see what the point is of listing this this here, not even considering the outrageous asking price. If you live in Japan, surely you aren't going to pay $100 over list for the thing and if you are in the US and you buy one of these, you have money to burn and instead should send it to me - you'll feel better about yourself and I'll be able to buy a US DSi plus a bunch of games when it's released here and you'll still have plenty of money to buy yourself one (or two or three) for yourself too. Win-Win!

Strike one for CheapyD. Two more and you'll have to ban yourself.

I wouldn't even consider this because the software is region-locked, we don't even know if games will be downloadable on a Japan system from a US internet connection. I also assume that you won't be able to play any US software on a JP DSi.

Plus if they include US specific features in the DSi then those who imported will be missing out on those (and its likely since if you live in the US you will want those features), it sounds like they are going to give the US a whole different model of the DSi. It would be really hard to make use of a subway map for a Japanese station in the US!

[quote name='TheLastGunslinger']No way I would get that, especially considering DSi specific software is going to be region locked.[/QUOTE]

$300 is in line with what I expected. I probably wouldve considered getting it if not for the region locking.

it wont take too long before someone finds a work around for the region locking though will it

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the early adopter's getting? They aren't getting the main feature: downloadable content. All they are getting is the cameras (which, in all likelihood, will only be utilized in downloadable games/software, which US buyers of this will never get to download on a Japanese DSi), and of course they are losing the GBA slot, without the prospect of downloadable GBA games to take advantage of. They are early adopting a gimped portable. Not a smart move.

Are the new gimmicks Nintendo is putting into the DS actually getting people to buy it? I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 foot pole. I like my DS Lite.

[quote name='crunchewy']What are the early adopter's getting? They aren't getting the main feature: downloadable content. All they are getting is the cameras (which, in all likelihood, will only be utilized in downloadable games/software, which US buyers of this will never get to download on a Japanese DSi), and of course they are losing the GBA slot, without the prospect of downloadable GBA games to take advantage of. They are early adopting a gimped portable. Not a smart move.[/QUOTE]

They are also getting a bigger screen and slimmer DS. Also they will get to brag about people the first to own it.

I find it hard enough having no backwards-compatibility with Gameboy Color games (I love LoZ: Oracle of Seasons and Ages). But no GBA slot? With this I can't play the GBA castlevania games, which would be way too big of a sacrifice for me.

The big problem with the DSi is region locking. I am interested in the DSi, but the region locking on downloads is a big disappointment. Imagine if there is Ouendan 4, and a DSi download version has superior audio quality due to the download being much larger then the cartridge and thus allowing higher bitrate/higher quality audio - US DSi users will not be able to get it. That's the part of the DSi to puts me off.

[quote name='InFlames215']I find it hard enough having no backwards-compatibility with Gameboy Color games (I love LoZ: Oracle of Seasons and Ages). But no GBA slot? With this I can't play the GBA castlevania games, which would be way too big of a sacrifice for me.[/QUOTE]

but how often do you go back to play the GBA castlevania? Maybe several times a year? I mean you are currently playing the 2 Casltevanias on DS. If you feel like liking some GBA games dig out your GBA or DS lite

[quote name='62t']but how often do you go back to play the GBA castlevania? Maybe several times a year? I mean you are currently playing the 2 Casltevanias on DS. If you feel like liking some GBA games dig out your GBA or DS lite[/quote]

I'm currently replaying those games, and I have a ton of other games I have yet to play on, I find the DS's brighter screen, more ergo gamepad to be better than the GBA.

I have my GBA to play old GBC games.

Plus I have alot of games that use the rumble pack and it's actually quite nice.

I think have some BC is always a good thing, and with the DSi, it's more of a cellphone device, just waiting for next years replacement...

[quote name='xycury']I'm currently replaying those games, and I have a ton of other games I have yet to play on, I find the DS's brighter screen, more ergo gamepad to be better than the GBA.

I have my GBA to play old GBC games.

Plus I have alot of games that use the rumble pack and it's actually quite nice.

I think have some BC is always a good thing, and with the DSi, it's more of a cellphone device, just waiting for next years replacement...[/QUOTE]

This is true, however, there is no reason why the DSi couldn't play GBA, GBC, GB, GameGear, NeoGeo Pocket, Atari Lynx and whatever other type of portable games there are via a "Virtual Portable" download store. Of course, with a Japanese DSi you won't have access to it in the US!!! So buying a Japanese DSi for use in the US is just dumb, but the US DSi is probably a pretty cool device (as long as you don't already have a big library of such games and/or don't mind re-buying them). For me that would be great. I don't have a big library of such games yet and even the ones I have I wouldn't mind rebuying for the convenience of having all my games on the DSi itself, at least if the prices are reasonable. I can then resell the physical copies I do have, and probably end up paying nothing for the downloads, perhaps even making a profit.

[quote name='crunchewy']I can then resell the physical copies I do have, and probably end up paying nothing for the downloads, perhaps even making a profit.[/quote]

I highly doubt it unless it is hard to find cart. Most people get the ROMS for harder to find games in the hopes of maybe obtaining a physical copy. Also a good chunk of gamers are glad to see virtual copies of these classics to to the over inflated prices of some of the rarities on the market. Me personally I've been disappointed with these so called "rare" games; Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Electroplankton, which should never be sold for over MSRP. Though I won't rebuy games I already own physically the virtual downloads give me the opportunity like most to try out those harder to find/discontinued gems.

Only good thing that comes out of this new model aimed at the Apple generation is that DS Lite will probably fall in price. Sadly, won't happen until US release next year.

[quote name='62t']- They are also getting a bigger screen
- and slimmer DS.
- Also they will get to brag about people the first to own it.[/quote]

- Slightly bigger screens, like 15-17% bigger or something. Hope they enjoy bigger & "more jaggified" sprites.
- DS Lite is already slim enough. Unless the owner wears very tight-fitting jeans for whatever stupid reason, won't make much of a difference.
- & that bragging will end when they get bored of the 2 useless 0.3 MP cameras & other gimmicks for it.

Anyway, don't know if people are just believing what they are spoon-fed but regular cart-based DS games will still work fine regardless of region. Only the DLC that was meant for DSi exclusively will be region-locked.

As for no GBA slot, fine with me. I have my GB Micro for GBA games so I won't have dead weight, 2 useless buttons & an extra screen from my DS Phat. Nor do I find add-ons like the rumble pak or that thing that comes with Guitar Hero interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might pickup one in the future if they have some good DLC for the DSi. But, I should pickup another DS Slim as backup to my current one so I can still have access to my GBA games.

Yea, $300 for a portable system is too much. Damn distributors scalping importers....

bread's done
Back