2TB PS3... anyone have one?

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!
I'm hooking up two 1TB Desktop Hardrives to my PS3 via a sata cable plugged in to the internal HDD sata connection on the PS3... or should say, I am attempting to.

Has anyone found an external SATA Raid enclosure that works with the PS3? I am having nothing but trouble finding one but heard of a few people posting on some sites they have.

any help appreciated.

I'm gonna be honest here. If you want Linux, you're gonna need a 4TB PS3. 2TB may have cut it three years ago, but you don't want to fool around with Linux these days.

It eats up resources like crazy.

If I could find an external RAID enclosure that worked with the PS3, 4TB would be possible... nobody has done this yet?

External hard drives must be formatted in FAT32 - the max file system size is 2 TB for FAT32 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32)

Then again, I tried formatting my 500 GB hard drive entirely as FAT32, but I couldn't do it. Finally had to split it into two partitions - an 80 GB for PS3 backups and the rest NTFS for my PC backup. Just something to keep in mind - you may have problems getting an entire 1 TB partition formatted as FAT32.

use Swissknife to do bigger fat32 partitions. You can't do big fat32 partitions on xp and vista for some odd reason.

The PS3 has to do the formating itself as this will not be a USB drive, but the "internal" drive via an external SATA RAID enclosure and a SATA cable plugged in to the SATA connection that the laptop harddrive would normally plug in to.

I can do a single drive with no issue, but its when I get in to a RAID situation that things fall apart.

i've never attempted this but think you're probably over engineering it. 1tb imo should be fine, your linux install can only be 10gb. Purchased movies, are I think, around 6gb, and i've not seen a game install over 4gb.

If you're trying to get your movie collection on their just keep them on your pc and use tversity or something like it to stream.

[quote name='fnord']i've never attempted this but think you're probably over engineering it. 1tb imo should be fine, your linux install can only be 10gb. Purchased movies, are I think, around 6gb, and i've not seen a game install over 4gb.

If you're trying to get your movie collection on their just keep them on your pc and use tversity or something like it to stream.[/QUOTE]

mgs4 is 4.5gb

bread's done
Back