WoW pulled from shelves!

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
We heard a faint rumor yesterday that World of Warcaft had been pulled from stores per instructions from Blizzard Entertainment. We shrugged it off and continued our local search for copies, only to come up dry in our entire state. Eventually we found one Best Buy (which will remain nameless for now) that supposedly had around 20 copies, so we gave them a ring. The following are quotes from the Best Buy employee that pulled the title from the shelf himself.

"Blizzard pulled them from the shelf on Monday"
"They oversold and their servers couldn't support the strain."
We are currently prying around for a bit more information, and will keep our readers informed as we learn more. There has been no official announcement from Blizzard yet. No word either when the software will continue to ship. Keep it tuned here for more information.

http://www.bwflag.com/2005/01/world_of_warcra.html

They will be doing Server fixes, adding servers and allowing people from high capacity servers to move to loew capacity ones. They would rather have people wait than have a bad experience. Good for them.

:bs: I think that blizzard is just doing this as a publicity stunt so people say "Wow, if its selling so much, it must be good...I MUST HAVE IT!"

[quote name='spyhunterk19']:bs: I think that blizzard is just doing this as a publicity stunt so people say "Wow, if its selling so much, it must be good...I MUST HAVE IT!"[/quote]

Talk to anyone who had to endure the server strain on day one and see if that story flies.

i heard this too. in fact, there was this 1up.com article about how much it sold that ended with the ominous line...

"Blizzard is currently in the process of bringing several new servers online to support the next wave of players eager to get into the world. After a brief testing period to ensure their stability, shipments to retailers will resume."

http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3137706

i guess it makes sense. who knew a MMORPG would ever do this well with so many others getting cancelled?

WoW is great, has it's problem, but is very entertaining. The only downside is not the roleplayers, it's the die hard RPers who would roleplay freakin Pac-Man.

Bad planning not to have support in place for at least a majority of the units known to have shipped. Were they so unconfident they wouldn't have high initial sellthrough on all of those units?

WoW!! I knew this game was good but not this good to sell so many that the servers can't take the strain. didn't they anticipate this? Well then again it is Blizzard and they do make amazing things.

You're naive if you believe that a publisher would take games off the shelves because of server strain. They will all gladly take your money from a game purchase first and have you wait for better servers in the meantime.

If they pull the game they can't make money, and publishers would never have that.

[quote name='Scrubking']You're naive if you believe that a publisher would take games off the shelves because of server strain. They will all gladly take your money from a game purchase first and have you wait for better servers in the meantime.

If they pull the game they can't make money, and publishers would never have that.[/quote]

Why would they do it otherwise? I mean, they have actually taken them off shelves...so what else would be thier reasoning? Its not broken (been playing for me) and im pretty sure there's no 17yr. olds boobs

I never played any of the WarCraft series - would I be lost in any way if I bought this? I've been wanting to start up a new MMORPG and am thinking I might be missing out on back stories, characters, history, or whatever. Would that be an issue with WoW?

[quote name='Scrubking']You're naive if you believe that a publisher would take games off the shelves because of server strain. They will all gladly take your money from a game purchase first and have you wait for better servers in the meantime.[/quote]

As stated, the pull has actually happened. However, you ARE right to believe that there's likely an ulterior motive. I imagine that Blizzard has learned the folly of just putting out tons of servers immediately, like a couple of other games did. Less than a year later, many of those servers were brought down (after the server populations started to wane) and their player bases consolidated with the remaining servers. By limiting the number that can join, they can better plan new server allocation.

[quote name='Scrubking']If they pull the game they can't make money, and publishers would never have that.[/quote]

Ah, but they can make plenty of money off the recurring monthly charge from pre-existing players.

[quote name='PsyClerk']
[quote name='Scrubking']If they pull the game they can't make money, and publishers would never have that.[/quote]

Ah, but they can make plenty of money off the recurring monthly charge from pre-existing players.[/quote]
I would assume Blizzard would get the monthly charge, not the publisher.

[quote name='Storamin'][quote name='PsyClerk']

Ah, but they can make plenty of money off the recurring monthly charge from pre-existing players.[/quote]
I would assume Blizzard would get the monthly charge, not the publisher.[/quote]

Is Blizzard not both the developer and publisher? Or am I just crazy?

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Storamin'][quote name='PsyClerk']

I would assume Blizzard would get the monthly charge, not the publisher.[/quote]

Is Blizzard not both the developer and publisher? Or am I just crazy?[/quote]

Sounds like 2 seperate questions to me - I mean, you may very well be crazy for all I know. But yes, Blizzard is the dev AND publisher. :p

[quote name='davidmt']I never played any of the WarCraft series - would I be lost in any way if I bought this? I've been wanting to start up a new MMORPG and am thinking I might be missing out on back stories, characters, history, or whatever. Would that be an issue with WoW?[/quote]

Nope. you can just jump on in with the basics of "Bad things happen, people and orcs dont like each other, friends along for the ride...FIGHT!"

Anyone who has been playing WoW will readily believe that they pulled the games off the shelf because of server strain.

The downtime is bad sometimes, but the fact that we keep coming back is a testament to how good it is.

[quote name='snipegod']Anyone who has been playing WoW will readily believe that they pulled the games off the shelf because of server strain.

The downtime is bad sometimes, but the fact that we keep coming back is a testament to how good it is.[/quote]

yes, ive been playing it, and the strain has been bad, but I think the earlier post about server allocation is important also. there's no way that the same number of people will be playing it 10-12 months from now, and if they keep adding servers, eventually a lot of these will be emptying out. if they dont plan well now, there will be some empty servers in the future.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']WoW!! I knew this game was good but not this good to sell so many that the servers can't take the strain. didn't they anticipate this? Well then again it is Blizzard and they do make amazing things.[/quote]

I would like everyone to refer to my post...i believe it was number seven...thankyou :cool:

I believe it. In my animation class the whole back row of computers is loaded with WoW and at least 3 people are playing it at all times, the teacher usually being one of them. I frequently watch them play and there are A LOT of people on those servers. Espeically since it's like 12:30 in the afternoon.

bread's done
Back