Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. - Gen. Discussion & Info

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
TOM CLANCY'S H.A.W.XTM DEMO AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 11 ON XBOX LIVE® AND FEBRUARY 12 ON PLAYSTATION® NETWORK (Europe)

LONDON, UK – February 10, 2009 – Today Ubisoft announces that an official Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X™ demo will be available for download for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft on Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network beginning on February 11, 2009 and for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system on the PLAYSTATION® network beginning on February 12, 2009. The demo will be also available for Windows-based PCs beginning on February 26, 2009.

In this demo, players will dominate the skies for the first time and battle planes, tanks and amphibious assaults and have the opportunity to dogfight with other elite pilots in a stunning panoramic boss scene.

Key features of the H.A.W.X demo:

• Co-op enabled for up to 4 players – Jump in/Jump out

• Gain experience points and unlock up to three real, licensed planes in the demo:
o F-16A Fighting Falcon
o SU-35 Super Flanker
o AV-8B Harrier II

• Choose between two different game modes:
o Normal – Default control type
o Expert – Allows full control over the aircraft in “Assistance Off” mode

• Two heart-pounding missions:
o Operation: Off Certification (Training mode)
• Learn the skills of an elite pilot in “Assistance Off” mode and pull extreme maneuvers

o Operation: Glass Hammer (Rio De Janeiro)
• Take flight over GeoEye technology (the world’s best satellite data), and witness Brazil like never before
• Learn to use the Enhanced Reality System in “Assistance On” mode, where your plane’s computer calculates the best interception course for you to follow to attack an enemy, evade a missile or hit a ground target
http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_10034_en.html

Official Site:
http://hawxgame.us.ubi.com/

I know, it may be shocking to see that I'm starting a thread for a Tom Clancy game for once. However, there's no denying I've really enjoyed flight games over the years, so I'm quite excited about this game (hoping it turns out great). I also like that I can fly through the city of Chicago. Having online is also another bonus. Definitely can't wait to try out the demo this week. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the Ace Combat games, hopefully this can fill that niche since the PS3 has no other modern air combat games.

It'll be nice to have a demo of this. I'll wait for people's reviews and a few price drops (come on, Ubisoft!) to pick it up, though. Besides, I still need to play AC6.

Interesting. The last couple on Tom Clancy games haven't been so hot IMO so I don't think unless it's a really fantastic game I'm gonna buy it. Honestly Warhawk is all the airplane flying I need.

It's made by a different team than most Tom Clancy games, so we'll see. Since it's Ubi, it will drop fast. Still, this is a game I just really want to be good.

Uh, bad news. The demo comes to Europe tomorrow, but not until Feb. 26th in the NA thanks to an exclusive agreement by MS it seems (seriously, screw you MS for this agreement because I don't have Gold). Thankfully I have a European account though so I can get this early.

Oops, it looks like the demo does have a technical issue according to UBI Soft (I hope it is the truth, but I'll buy it):

While Xbox 360 gamers are today enjoying taking to the skies in the likes of a Harrier Jet or a Fighting Falcon, Ubisoft has confirmed that PlayStation 3 owners will have to wait for their Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. fix.

The demo was due to be released today on PS3, but it has apparently suffered with technical difficulties. A post on Ubisoft's Twitter page states: "HAWX PS3 demo delayed to Feb 26th, due to the late discovery of an unexpected issue. We apologize for the situation."

Needless to say, it must be a significant issue to delay the demo by an entire fortnight. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. is scheduled for its full release in North America on March 6 and Europe on March 13, 2009.
http://www.psu.com/Technical-issues-delay-PS3-HAWX-demo-News--a006421-p0.php

Wow, I see finally someone is looking at HAWX

I posted earlier and listed information about the Thrustmaster FlightStick Hotas X, that came out for the PS3: LINK HERE

But since then there's a new flight stick available for the PS3, "the AVIATOR by Saitek"
203277896.jpg

All of UBi's peripheral: LINK HERE

I haven't played a flight sim since Ace Combat 5 several years ago, and am anxious to see how well this game turns out. The online vids seem promising so here's hoping!

It would be pretty cool to have a CAG Squadron. :)

There are quite a few already started over on the HAWX forum on UBI website, Anyone else been over there lately?

[quote name='Romis']There are quite a few already started over on the HAWX forum on UBI website, Anyone else been over there lately?[/QUOTE]

If we can't round up enough interest on CAG, then we should head over the UBI forums and start one up there. Thanks for the tip!

Finally got around to playing the 360 demo and I have lost all interest. There are several factors involved.

First is the whole assistance on/off system, which makes the game sort of like a flight sim with training wheels. With assistance off, the viewpoint switches to a way, way zoomed out camera and the default controls are similar to Ace Combat's novice mode. (There's an option to keep the more realistic control scheme for this mode, but it makes it extremely frustrating to control because the camera is zoomed out so far it becomes easy to lose track of your orientation. It's also just not intuitive to fly like this.) It seems like this is intended to make it easier to track opponents, but it felt really weird to suddenly pop out of the cockpit and be watching this tiny airplane spin around on the screen. Maybe this will help even the playing field in multiplayer, although I can see it making ace pilots upset because anyone will be able to double-click a trigger and basically auto-pilot over to them and line up a shot.

Speaking of auto-pilot, the feature where you can hold down a button to see the best flight path to get behind an enemy or dodge a missile didn't work half the time, and when it did it usually would draw paths that disappeared off the top of the screen almost immediately.

Probably the saddest thing for me is that the sensation of flying and being in a dogfight wasn't as strong as it is in Ace Combat. The engine roar, the atmospheric/weapon effects, and even the controller rumble are all expertly done in AC and they aren't very strong in HAWX. Also Ace Combat's HUD is designed to look like something I'd expect to see in a real plane, so I feel like I'm in a real plane. Game elements like radar, orders and score are integrated very well. HAWX's HUD looks like you're playing a Tom Clancy game. Also it is white, not green--this bothered me a lot.

Also I miss Keiki Kobayashi.

I hope Ace Combat 7 is on PS3 because I want to do some dogfighting with you all. :twoguns:

Damnit, now I'm conflicted. I'll hold my opinion till I get to try out the demo myself but it's not looking good. I loved playing the Ace Combat series on the PS2, and hoped this would be an decent replacement. Damn you metaly, your title makes me want to go back and play some old ps2 Ace Combat games.

@metaly You hit some points straight on, I've played the demo and I have to admit I was really anticipating much more. The game is not what I expected from the series. It could have been a excellent game but I think they tried too much and got too little return.

Wonder if they ever played ace combat lol... sometimes less is more
the outside of the plane, pro-mode is almost like your playing with a "toy plane" or "matchbox plane" the plane is so little and controls take some adjusting too but it's just not as enjoyable as being in the cockpit view, I'm sorry to say but this is not what I consider a $60 game ,

Well, I finally got around to playing the demo. While I'll admit it does not do some things as well as Ace Combat, I still found the demo very good. I honestly have no issues with flight assist, because it's really up to you if you want to use it. I love how you gain experience from killing enemies. Only thing I did not like about the game was the controls, because the 360 controller just doesn't feel right for me when it comes to flight comes (one reason I struggled to play AC6). I really can't wait to try HAWX on PS3. I will not pay full price for this game, but I will definitely buy it one day.

But you have to keep in mind that the Ace combat team has made 8 flight games, compared to this team at Ubi Soft not having anywhere near as much experience. This is definitely better than Air Force Delta series and Lethal Skies series.

Personally, the demo was fine to me and I disagree with metaly mostly. However, I did not touch cockpit view because I hate it.

Ubi Soft stuff drops fast in price.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Ubi Soft stuff drops fast in price.[/QUOTE]

That's my observation regarding Ubi Soft games as well. With SFIV and Killzone 2 taking up the majority of my time in the next couple months, HAWX should be dropping right around the time I need new meat.

I still wish Ace Combat 6 or the next iteration would come to the PS3.

[quote name='Ecofreak']

I still wish Ace Combat 6 or the next iteration would come to the PS3.[/QUOTE]AC6 is the worst AC ever from what most say, you don't want it. Whether the next installment comes to PS3, I dunno. Namco just hasn't been very loyal to PS3 this gen.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']AC6 is the worst AC ever from what most say, you don't want it. Whether the next installment comes to PS3, I dunno. Namco just hasn't been very loyal to PS3 this gen.[/QUOTE]

Well, after that comment I don't feel much longing anymore.

Ace Combat 6 was a good game. It seemed pretty short (probably about 5 hours) and it was really easy, but it was a lot of fun the whole way through. Plus the graphics were incredible and there were some standout songs.

AC0 is probably my least favorite. I expect a certain amount of corniness from the series's plots, but AC0's was laughably bad. AC6's plot was also pretty silly, but it least it wasn't all about these philosopher pilots searching for what it means to be a TRUE ACE, and then later reminiscing in horrible live action sequences. Or whatever that was all about.

Instead of getting HAWX, I'll probably just go through AC6 again on hard mode and maybe try the online modes.

[quote name='metaly']Ace Combat 6 was a good game. It seemed pretty short (probably about 5 hours) and it was really easy, but it was a lot of fun the whole way through. Plus the graphics were incredible and there were some standout songs.

AC0 is probably my least favorite. I expect a certain amount of corniness from the series's plots, but AC0's was laughably bad. AC6's plot was also pretty silly, but it least it wasn't all about these philosopher pilots searching for what it means to be a TRUE ACE, and then later reminiscing in horrible live action sequences. Or whatever that was all about.[/QUOTE]I'm just taking what I heard from most Ace Combat fans. Most stated the 4th, 5th , and X were the strong points of the series (I owned them too and would agree).

I did play the PS3 demo. The PS3 demo does have some more slowdown unfortunately. I did play a bit better with it. I wouldn't say the game was great, but it was all right (I just love flight games though). I'd probably buy it if it was really cheap one day (like at $25 or less).

I really enjoyed the HAWX demo. I thought the alternate camera angle was great, and I had a lot of fun with it.

Do you get to takeoff and land in this game, or does it start with the plane in the air? I love games like Sky Odessy, and a few times in AC5 that you had to put the plane down. Just fun to do I guess.

Anyone know? Thanks.

I thought the demo was so-so. Not a fan of the 'unassisted' view since most of my flight game experience has been with AC. I'd grab this on the cheap based on the demo, but I'm still waiting out reviews to get a better general consensus.

[quote name='QiG']I thought the demo was so-so. Not a fan of the 'unassisted' view since most of my flight game experience has been with AC. I'd grab this on the cheap based on the demo, but I'm still waiting out reviews to get a better general consensus.[/quote]

100% agree.

[quote name='QiG']I thought the demo was so-so. Not a fan of the 'unassisted' view since most of my flight game experience has been with AC. I'd grab this on the cheap based on the demo, but I'm still waiting out reviews to get a better general consensus.[/QUOTE]I think if they removed that assists stuff (and kept the game in the same view) and kept the framerate more consistent, it would have been good. I still think there's some fun with it and it might be the only flight game we ever see on PS3.

It did get a 6.8 at IGN (0.1 higher than 360 version):
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/959/959432p1.html

And the PS3 version has an exclusive YouTube uploading feature:
http://www.psu.com/[UPDATE]-HAWX-to-include-PS3-exclusive-feature-News--a006594-p0.php

Anybody tried this yet (the demo or the full game) with either the Mad Catz/Saitek flight stick or the AC6 Ace Edge HOTAS (which I think people have said is supposed to be HAWX-compatible)? How is it?

(Sorry: didn't see this thread was in the PS3 category when I posted this.)

[quote name='gantt']Anybody tried this yet (the demo or the full game) with either the Mad Catz/Saitek flight stick or the AC6 Ace Edge HOTAS (which I think people have said is supposed to be HAWX-compatible)? How is it?[/quote]

Is there a PS3 compatible flight stick? AC6 was 360 exclusive last I knew.

tried the demo not impressed. i dont like the alt view and im still waiting for a decent robotech game.........someday.........

Played a minute or two with the game and the Saitek stick on 360 at Fry's last night. Flying felt similar to AC6. Terrain was barren mountains so nothing special to look at. Didn't have time to get into combat.

Any PS3 owners have impressions of this game? Since it's $30 @ BB this week, I'm considering it to fill my cravings for a current gen flight game. I liked the Blazing Angels and wondering if I should just grab one of those on the cheap.

bread's done
Back