MLB 2K9 XBOX 360 for $19.99? Possibly (Now with Scans)

NukedeH

CAG Veteran
Not a deal right now, but could possibly be one later. Grab a copy of "the Guide" at Gamestop and go to page 30. You'll find Major League Baseball 2k9 for the XBOX 360 listed as $19.99. This free magazine has SF4 on the cover. I asked the GS employee if it was correct and she couldn't find it listed in their database. She told me to hold onto the magazine because I may be able to get it for that price. I don't know how GS is with honoring mistakes, but at $19.99 I thought this was worth posting.

edit:scans

GS Guide cover
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7484/002fh4.jpg

MLB 2K9
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5037/001li2.jpg

Sears might be a good place to pricematch. They don't usually call in or check up on the prices, so YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
New "the Guide" issue is out. (resident evil on cover)

I can vouch that there is that price mistake in the Street Fighter issue, but in no way shape or form will GameStop honor that price...

But if you go to some other store like Best Buy where they might be too busy to call and check, you can probably get away with this.

I love when people completely exaggerate. 2K8 has a 70 on Metacritic. Certainly was not worth $60, but if you could get someone to honor or price match this obvious mistake, $20 for a brand new baseball game isn't too bad, but only if you don't have a PS3 and access to the far superior The Show.

Even if it was, it would be sold out.
iy.gif

iy.gif

From what I've read 2k9 is even worse than 2k8. this should be 19.99 anyways, considering it's from last year and a new season is fast approaching with a new game soon.

I remember back when all 2K games were $19.99 on release... ahh, memories.

I love 2K, but it's true, The Show is better in almost every way.

This would be awesome. I know it's no MVP baseball, but I still like this game a lot. $20 would be huge for my wallet considering i just got SF4 and blitz the league 2.

I would still buy this for 20 if that's the case. But I highly doubt they'd sell their game for 20. Especially when the 360 has no MLB competition. Now maybe they're doing it because of the ps3. Idk, we'll see.

It's not a bad deal if anyone can get a store to honor the price, *and* they don't have access to a PS3. I'd personally prefer to pay $60 for The Show than $20 for 2k9. Sony's The Show just leaves 2k's game in the dugout. Naturally, being a cheap-ass-gamer, I'll be looking for a deal on MLB 09 The Show shortly after release, so that I hopefully don't have to pay $60 for it. :p

for 20 i wud def take a look but not much more...i got 2k8 for like 15 and i felt kinda blah about it at that price.......but if at first you dont succede you must try and try again

Honestly, 2k8 was great except for the hitting. Even fixing sliders, there's no control over what you're doing.

BRING BACK OLD SCHOOL CURSOR HITTING!!! Using the right stick isn't realistic or innovative.

On topic, yes it must be a misprint but I don't care, I'll pricematch away.

anyone know where I can buy this magazine? I'm assuming gamestop, but I don't know if this one will still be in stock since it's an older issue I believe.

Would be an awesome deal but price error or not -- there is no way GS is going to honor that misprint for the 360/PS3 versions.

yeah if I want a baseball game, i'll get a PS3 and get The Show. Maybe 2k9 is OK if you haven't played The Show on PS3 before, but I have. $20 should be the new price just to get people interested in 2k9.

As for if Gamestop will honor a mistaken price, it's all about who is working at the time. A nice manager will very likely honor the advertised price, same with a nice employee that has the authoritah!

I know a lot of people insult Gamestop, but I've personally had great luck there, especially in the last few months. There are a couple stores near me with a couple dickhole employees. I just avoid those stores, or if I HAVE to go to those stores, I avoid those dickhole employees.

The store I frequent most ordered a 7" PS2 game glass for me from another store. If you can even find one on Ebay, they go for $60+. Got mine for $15. They also just ordered Kuon complete for me from another store. That one usually goes for about $20-25 online, I'll be getting it for 20% off of 6.99.

[quote name='Taboner']Best Buy doesn't price match GameStop.[/quote]
Best Buy has price matched Gamestop for me. They even price matched an online printout that I showed when price matching Battlefield Bad Company about a month ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Young Deezy']Does anybody remember when NFL 2K5 was $20 at release?

Maybe 2K wants to help out the economy![/quote]

Man I remember when all the 2K5's were $20. I picked up MLB, NFL, and NBA 2K5. They were all solid games too. If NBA2K10 is $20 also I'm buying it for sure because 2K9 is great.

The basketball series of 2k games prolly wont see 20 dollar tag on release ne time soon since it seems to be doing very well....i think if this ad is real and not just an error it is because the baseball series needs to get back on track because alot of people have negative feelings towards it.. And that is IF ITS not an error

It's very obvious this is a price error, considering their online price for the 360 and PS3 versions is listed at 59.99. The PC and PS2 versions are the two @19.99. Nobody is getting this for 19.99 unless you happen to pull a fast one on some unsuspecting person via price-match.

How about pricematching at sears, for a total of 15.99? (19.99-10% of 40$ difference)

From sears.com
Sears Price Match Plus Policy/Price Protection Policy

(Rev. 11/02/08)
Retail Competitors
If you find a lower price on an identical branded item with the same features (in Home Electronics identical brand and model number) currently available for sale at another local competitor retail store, Sears will match that price plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just bring in the original advertisement to a sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

Think it'll fly?

[quote name='jsweendog7']How about pricematching at sears, for a total of 15.99? (19.99-10% of 40$ difference)

From sears.com
Sears Price Match Plus Policy/Price Protection Policy

(Rev. 11/02/08)
Retail Competitors
If you find a lower price on an identical branded item with the same features (in Home Electronics identical brand and model number) currently available for sale at another local competitor retail store, Sears will match that price plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just bring in the original advertisement to a sales associate at the time of, or within 30 days after, your purchase.

Think it'll fly?[/quote]
nah. dunno about your sears, but mine usually calls up the store to confirm.

Indeed. Sometimes, though, if the associate is really busy or really lazy, you might get lucky, and they won't bother checking. I guess, at the very least, it's worth taking a shot. Try it on a weekend.

[quote name='Young Deezy']Does anybody remember when NFL 2K5 was $20 at release?

Maybe 2K wants to help out the economy![/QUOTE]

Yea good times and a lot of people, myself included, still feel that's the best football game ever.

I haven't bought a (2K or EA) baseball game at first release since '05. So I wouldn't mind having a baseball game right now without waiting till the all-star break for a nice price cut. But this is the first time I'm actually considering The Show for PS3. But if this, by chance, is true that 2k9 for 360 is that cheap, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

[quote name='chicagoz']I haven't bought a (2K or EA) baseball game at first release since '05. So I wouldn't mind having a baseball game right now without waiting till the all-star break for a nice price cut. But this is the first time I'm actually considering The Show for PS3. But if this, by chance, is true that 2k9 for 360 is that cheap, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.[/quote]

FYI - The Show is still by far the better value, even if MLB 2k9 is $20 new. If I still had my PS3, I'd be buying The Show right away. Sold my PS3 to force myself to work on my 100+ game PS2 backlog, waiting to get it for about $270 or less next time (paid basically $270 the first time I got it, brand new, but was an amazingly lucky set of circumstances).

Went in to Gamestop today looking for a copy of the Guide. They only had the newest edition that does not list a price for MLB 2k9. I'm still tempted to print out the page and price match at Wal-Mart. Anyone know if this will fly or if Gamestop carries the back catalog of these magazines?

[quote name='Fatagooyman']I have like 40 copies of the magazine (Don't ask why) if you want one and your willing to pay for the shipping let me know.[/quote]

If price matching works anywhere I'll be contacting you. :D

bread's done
Back