Xbox 360 quality = crap? What about the PS3?

suade907

CAGiversary!
Hey Cheapy, love the show. I enjoy your daily adventures the most.

Aside from that, on your last show you mentioned how the 360 is just about the worst piece of electronics ever created. Rightfully so, MS deserves the shot given what has happened over the consoles life cycle thus far. But I think you leave out one important piece of info. Let me explain, I bought a launch unit and sure enough 1.5 years later the thing red ringed. So I sent it in and had to pay a wopper of a fix fee. I was ticked at the time but soon got over it. Soon after i picked up another console since i use my Xbox to stream my MCE recorded tv shows as my primary source of tv in the house and wanted another in a different room. So now i have 2, within a year the second one 3 red ringed and around that time MS announced they were extending the warranty on all 360's and if you had already paid to have one fixed they would refund your money. Lucky for me both my 360's were fixed in timely manners and i did not have to pay a cent. So I was a very happy user now since MS stood by their product. I was so happy I took my refund and bought another 360 so my growing 5 year old son and I could start gaming together side by side. Yeah that's right we have 2 32" LCD's right next to each other and he's limited to a hour a day as long as his chores are done. It's a blast and we have a ton of fun. But back to the story, now prior to any 360's breaking i bought a launch PS3 and like you, I've learned that I prefer most of my gaming on my 360. While I do enjoy the games i have for the PS3 i hardly ever use it. I''ve probably put about 20-30 hours of use and 1 blu ray movie on it since I received it. The other day I noticed that it had a flashing red light on the front. So I tried to turn it on and nothing. So I did all the troubleshooting and after phone call to Sony i found out that something to do with the power on the unit is dead. It won't fire up at all. When i power it off in the back I get 3 beeps and then the flashing red light. Now Sony won't fix it under warranty and they want 159+ tax to to get me a new one and they can't even guarantee I'll get a 60 gig model. What kind of crap is that. Killzone 2 is even stuck in it with no way to open the tray.

So all in all, sure 360's break and they are slightly louder than normal but at least ms honors their warranty. I've had 2 defective 360's that broke and they get played hard and run for at least a hour + a day and probably have hundreds if not thousands of hours on them by now. And i have a PS3 with 20-30 hours that broke while it was off and now I have to pay $150+ to get it fixed and they won't even guarantee to get mine or a = unit back.

Long story short,
MS quality = crap MS support = great
Sony quality = crap Sony support = crap

I don't even feel like shelling out the cash to get my PS3 fixed. I spent $600 plus clams on that piece of crap and i feel like I've been robbed. That's the last time ever that I will by a expensive console. it was not worth it at all.

Oh well that's my 2cents

What?

Your PS3 dilemma is the exception, not the rule. You had a unit out of warranty (to quote you -- a LAUNCH PS3, no fucking way that's still in warranty) and you're complaining that someone didn't drive to your door to replace it immediately on a silver platter? :wall:

Customer support for the 360 was extended and less hassle because MS was to a degree backpedaling the major fuckup that is the RROD.

Wait.

The console is switched on, in standby mode, and the system lights go on, a flashing red one you say. So you turn the console power switch off in back and the PS3 beeps 3 times and then has a flashing red light?

That makes no sense and I will explain why.

First, the three beeps occur upon switching the console from fully on into stand by after the system has crashed. Thats the only time it will ever shut off that way, only when its crashed or when it crashes when entering standby mode.

Second, turning the switch into the back from the on position to the off position completely cuts off power to the console, and as I said with my first part, the three beeps can only occur when entering the standby mode if the system has crashed.

Sucks that your console died, but its out of warranty. XBox 360's die now, and Sony consoles die after a period of time (I had 5 PS2's in the family die out, all in different houses, after more than 4 years). You could try to make some scratch off the console. Sell it to someone who wants to fix it and get out while you're able to. A launch 60GB (fully BC?), even broken, should still get some decent cash from the right person.

Your anecdotal evidence has convince me that the PS3 is less than or equal to the reliability of the Xbox 360.

Actually, no.

You're bad experience w/ the PS3 shouldn't dictate your entire decision regarding its reliability. IF you choose to turn your head to all the truth that's going on then that's you, but damn, why waste a thread about it. Also, Sony isn't that helpful becaue you don't have your receipt... that's the part of the story that I belive you left out... BTW where is your receipt?

[quote name='suade907']Hey Cheapy, love the show. I enjoy your daily adventures the most.

Aside from that, on your last show you mentioned how the 360 is just about the worst piece of electronics ever created. Rightfully so, MS deserves the shot given what has happened over the consoles life cycle thus far. But I think you leave out one important piece of info. Let me explain, I bought a launch unit and sure enough 1.5 years later the thing red ringed. So I sent it in and had to pay a wopper of a fix fee. I was ticked at the time but soon got over it. Soon after i picked up another console since i use my Xbox to stream my MCE recorded tv shows as my primary source of tv in the house and wanted another in a different room. So now i have 2, within a year the second one 3 red ringed and around that time MS announced they were extending the warranty on all 360's and if you had already paid to have one fixed they would refund your money. Lucky for me both my 360's were fixed in timely manners and i did not have to pay a cent. So I was a very happy user now since MS stood by their product. I was so happy I took my refund and bought another 360 so my growing 5 year old son and I could start gaming together side by side. Yeah that's right we have 2 32" LCD's right next to each other and he's limited to a hour a day as long as his chores are done. It's a blast and we have a ton of fun. But back to the story, now prior to any 360's breaking i bought a launch PS3 and like you, I've learned that I prefer most of my gaming on my 360. While I do enjoy the games i have for the PS3 i hardly ever use it. I''ve probably put about 20-30 hours of use and 1 blu ray movie on it since I received it. The other day I noticed that it had a flashing red light on the front. So I tried to turn it on and nothing. So I did all the troubleshooting and after phone call to Sony i found out that something to do with the power on the unit is dead. It won't fire up at all. When i power it off in the back I get 3 beeps and then the flashing red light. Now Sony won't fix it under warranty and they want 159+ tax to to get me a new one and they can't even guarantee I'll get a 60 gig model. What kind of crap is that. Killzone 2 is even stuck in it with no way to open the tray.

So all in all, sure 360's break and they are slightly louder than normal but at least ms honors their warranty. I've had 2 defective 360's that broke and they get played hard and run for at least a hour + a day and probably have hundreds if not thousands of hours on them by now. And i have a PS3 with 20-30 hours that broke while it was off and now I have to pay $150+ to get it fixed and they won't even guarantee to get mine or a = unit back.

Long story short,
MS quality = crap MS support = great
Sony quality = crap Sony support = crap

I don't even feel like shelling out the cash to get my PS3 fixed. I spent $600 plus clams on that piece of crap and i feel like I've been robbed. That's the last time ever that I will by a expensive console. it was not worth it at all.

Oh well that's my 2cents[/quote]

You have any idea how bad MS support is? Before the fiasco, they tried to talk people OUT of getting repairs from their generous 90 day warranty. They're still crap and the only reason they're being nice about it now is so countries won't sue em. California started it by suing them for producing SHIT.

What about the PS3? I say we look to the past for the answer. The PS1 had disk drive issues. The PS2 had disk drive issues. Neither problem showed up as quickly as the 360 RROD, but sure enough, 18 to 24 months down the line they had issues. I have seen a similar pattern with the PS3 - things didn't break at first, but as we get further and further from launch more problems are cropping up.

Is the PS3 as bad off as the 360? Definitely not, but it isn't the 100% reliable beast that some people want to believe.

[quote name='GF_Eric']What about the PS3? I say we look to the past for the answer. The PS1 had disk drive issues. The PS2 had disk drive issues. Neither problem showed up as quickly as the 360 RROD, but sure enough, 18 to 24 months down the line they had issues. I have seen a similar pattern with the PS3 - things didn't break at first, but as we get further and further from launch more problems are cropping up.

Is the PS3 as bad off as the 360? Definitely not, but it isn't the 100% reliable beast that some people want to believe.[/QUOTE]

qft. i have gone through 2 ps 1, and 2 ps 2. i never owned a ps3 yet because i cant afford it yet. i will buy one but i think that will be till next year. Those disc drive problems didnt crop until i had the systems 2-3 years after launch. my launch ps 1 was so bad...it would only read my disc if i had the system upside down. but both systems had logged some serious playtime on them. i was surprised my launch ps 1 lasted as long as it did.

didnt the jasper chip fix the whole RROD mess?

To let you know OP, you WILL get a 60GB model back no matter what. If SCEA sent you the wrong one (there was only 2 reports of this ever happening), you call them up and they'll send you another one and apologize. They still have plenty of 60GB consoles in stock. The only time where it may be slow getting back is in case more die than expected, and they have to repair more consoles first before sending more out. Even the rare 20GB, they have a decent amount in stock where if people send it in, they get a 20GB back. Although for me, I rather just get a new 80GB with no PS2 BC (because it has 65nm RSX and Cell, and uses much less power).
[quote name='Thomas96']You're bad experience w/ the PS3 shouldn't dictate your entire decision regarding its reliability. IF you choose to turn your head to all the truth that's going on then that's you, but damn, why waste a thread about it. Also, Sony isn't that helpful becaue you don't have your receipt... that's the part of the story that I belive you left out... BTW where is your receipt?[/QUOTE]Truth. SCEA states in their policy very clear, a receipt is required for ANY in-warranty repairs to prove your purchase. If you do not have it, then you get no repair. I tell everyone as soon as they get a PS3, hang onto the receipt or at least make copies of it. There's no way I'd spend $400 or more on a device just throwing the receipt out.

[quote name='GF_Eric']What about the PS3? I say we look to the past for the answer. The PS1 had disk drive issues. The PS2 had disk drive issues. Neither problem showed up as quickly as the 360 RROD, but sure enough, 18 to 24 months down the line they had issues. I have seen a similar pattern with the PS3 - things didn't break at first, but as we get further and further from launch more problems are cropping up. [/quote]Actually, the original PS1 had issues right from the get go. The later models fixed the problem by moving the laser away from the power supply. Some early PS2 models had issues, but it went away too.

Regardless, PS3 consoles have actually been pretty reliable. There's no denying SOME had blu-ray drive issues, but the percentage who do is about the same as those who have DVD issues on 360. Please, don't get me started on how many have a RRoD, Red Light error, or any other 360 error that occurs in more 360 consoles than PS3 consoles sold in NA.

Is the PS3 as bad off as the 360? Definitely not, but it isn't the 100% reliable beast that some people want to believe.
PS3 failure rate is around 3%.

[quote name='integralsmatic']qft. i have gone through 2 ps 1, and 2 ps 2. i never owned a ps3 yet because i cant afford it yet. i will buy one but i think that will be till next year. Those disc drive problems didnt crop until i had the systems 2-3 years after launch. my launch ps 1 was so bad...it would only read my disc if i had the system upside down. but both systems had logged some serious playtime on them. i was surprised my launch ps 1 lasted as long as it did. [/quote]Actually, not like you think. There are some which have died, but is it widespread? Absolutely not. The main issues are with some 60GB consoles, because:
-They are the oldest SKU
-Has by far the most components out of all SKUs. More components means there's a much higher chance of failure (Percentage of failures with 20GB, another old SKU is MUCH lower, due to fewer components).
-Also heats up the most by far (it has 90nm Cell and RSX)

How often have I heard of a PS3 console have a yellow light of death (which is equivalent to a RRoD)? Not much. The chance of a 360 drive dying is about the same as a PS3 drive dying (I'm not just talking about 360 drives not reading discs, but also not opening discs or scratching discs. Not a single PS3 story I heard discussed a PS3 scratching discs). The only SKU which has had some issues with YLOD was the original 60GB (due to many of the things I explained above), yet you will rarely (next to never) hear the issue in any other SKU, whether its 20GB, 40GB, 80GB (with PS2 BC and without), and 160GB.

didnt the jasper chip fix the whole RROD mess?
Not, it only delays the process. People thought Falcons would be more reliable (along with 2nd heatsink), yet many still got the RRoD.

Almost everyone I know had a 360 die. GAF has a really long list of 360 consoles dying. I've never heard of anyone before on their 12th console. It's bad when people at a mailing place (who barely know what 360 is) knows exactly what's in the box going to McAllen, TX. There's no denying, it's the worst built console to date. I've already had two die on me, which is why I buy all my multi-platform games on PS3. I actually bought two PS1 consoles and a PS2 (I have a fat one) and they always worked. Only console that died on me that wasn't the 360, was my original Xbox (twice), which is why I switched all multi games to PS2 last gen.

Those who say Sony has terrible customer support, does anyone remember what happened before the RRoD warranty was extended? Use to be the console had just a 90 day warranty, and if it broke after that, you were asked to pay $150. They even made SOME people pay shipping although their console was in-warranty (they told me I'd have to pay shipping if I called one day later). Many people would even get people on the phone who barely spoke English and got their orders messed up. I'll admit Sony's customer service isn't exactly perfect, but neither is MS.

Here is the entire RRoD story (it even stated that out of 100 initially produced, 16 worked):
http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/x...istory-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

There's even a CAG thread over how many died:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214402

360 has awesome games no doubt, but the hardware just isn't too good (although MS's software for the 360 is excellent, where 360 can do many features in-game and not use up much RAM). PS3 has good hardware, but then its OS software has issues (where Sony struggles getting features within the amount of RAM reserved for the OS. MS uses up less and can add more features). Sony = hardware, MS = software. It took Sony a while to get in-game XMB running due to software issues, while it took MS day one to get OS features accessed in-game. It took MS three years to get the GPU shrunk to 65nm, while it took Sony two years.

Last edited by a moderator:
No DRE's on PS2's were happening in the first year. I had a day 1 unit get DRE's within the first year but I had the extended warranty with EB. They gave me what ended up being a used PS2 with a faulty drive so I went back the next day and made them open a brand new system in front of my eyes and give me that one or I would report them to the BBB.

bread's done
Back