CAGcast #158: Demos, DLC, and Dummies

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
The PS3 version of the "Power Pack" DLC is in the form of a patch, so yes, it is a patch. And the Cops n' Robbers patch offers 33 cop cars, which are skins.

Nelson is clearly a great guy but, to butcher a well known internet meme, 'keep your Rodriguez out of my CAGcast.'

Enjoying the show by the way.

Re: the iPhone apps - It was (mostly) a joke. Every Joe/Jack and John gets an iPhone, then sits next to you and about how great the 'iCat'/'iBeer'/'iLighter'/'iLamp'/'iWhatever' is for the next 3 hours. This wasn't an issue when only one person per party had an iPhone, but now that the "Apple Zombie" infestation is about 10%-40% per crowd, there's no corner to hide in. The only alternative is to crawl as deeply into the bottom of a bottle of beer as possible to hide....

great podcast! im jealous that wombat got a good game at the best buy sale i went a day late and there was already nothing there...guess he was right about people going crazy there. also i love the new price tracker feature keep up the good work!

[quote name='pLa']yay! strange yet appealing intro. listening right now. thanks a lot![/quote]

"Move B****, get out the way. Get out the way B****, get out the way!" -Ludacris

The Swine Flu situation is being blown out of proportion. This'll all pass soon enough. More people kick the bucket from your everyday average illnesses.

Good show guys.

Wombat, Kardashian is an Armenian name. I'm pretty sure they have their own country and language, which isn't Arabic (it's Armenian or Armo, I think).

It's good to hear you guys are digging Red Faction: Guerilla. The whole time I was playing it I was having "holy shit" moments, especially during that on-rails part at the end. I wonder why there is very little talk about it on these boards. Hopefully the full game turns out well.

I knew from the start that the iPhone would be like the new Moto Razr, meaning that half the people who pull out phones would have them. At least they're not completely shitty like the Razr, but it's still annoying. Then again, I rock the Zune, and I've NEVER seen another one in the wild. That makes me hardcore, I think.

Great show.

The "Power Pack" DLC term was also used for Lips. It was basically a software update disguised as a free DLC pack that was automatically presented at the start screen. Like SF4's, the Lips pack was something very minimal that basically fixed the errors of the game, something that an update could do anytime. I'm with you guys in regards to thinking that the companies making these fixes are presenting them like gifts to customers. The Lips "DLC" came at the time of the recent price cut, pushing people to have just enough reason to pick it up. It certainly got me, thus being the reason why I now own it.

Wombat, 4x4 = 16 just as cheapy says he notices 10 does not equal 20 he misses Wombats fopaw.

Next, the wishlist thing (some things I noticed) no DLC?
I want my VC DLC so it can be tracked. No Modern Warfare 2, another thing mentioned by CheapyD that doesn't exist.

As far as swine flu goes Wombat used the correct term (props) epidemic and not pandemic.

I actually enjoyed this show as the humor was pretty good like the not 1 sticker not...0 but, 2 lol.

My experience with the preorder bonus items/powers are that they usually are decent for the beginning of the game then they are just useless. Usually with PC games you get a special power or item that helps you level faster or kill crap faster, but once you actually unlock anything in the game, the free item sucks ass.

Which is a nice bonus to get, but my goodness, if you preorder from somewhere and they give you some Godly power, it could ruin the game and cause other problems besides forcing me to buy it from a particular vendor.

Good show.

CheapyD: Thanks for your comments in this show and previous ones about Prince of Persia. I definitely don't think the game is for me after hearing what you said when you felt that you were not in "control" of the prince.

A question for you both (this also deals with both of your comments on CheapyD's play experience with Prince of Persia): How long must you play a game before you can safely say the game is bad/not for "you"/not worth anymore time/isn't worth buying?

Sometimes it's easy to get ragged on here at the CAG for spending 10-20 hours with a rpg (50+game) and saying that the game wasn't good/wasn't going to get good. "Well, it took you 10 hours to figure out you didn't like it! You fucktard! Har har har." How the hell is that any different than watching 25 minutes of a 2 hour movie and saying that it's not getting any better?

The idea that you share the info with retailers in order to "influence" sale prices via the "invisible hand." It is a good idea in concept (maybe even theory) but, if I figured out that games were selling at an average consumer geared price point, I would lower the email alert function price and get some other people I know on here to do the same.

It is not like I know alot of cags (in person) but, I know a couple if we all put $1, we may be able to sway the average some. This is not to mention that others would try the same thing.

So if it is the intent to persuade companies to sell a larger amount at a cheaper price. I feel alot of people would intentionally lowball their acceptable price.

Also, I was reading Gameinformer (AC2 issue). They talk about the cutback of X-play to three days a week and AOTS to 4 days a week in their article. They interview a head guy at G4 about X-play and they say, X-play's ratings are the highest they have ever been. Do you think that could be true or just PR? Do you think this could be a result of cutting it back, that somehow people are willing to watch just a few days a week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy a couple of things:

- You gotta hook Wombat up with an E3 trip for his b-day! Come on hook a Wombat up!

- Seriously, when you were playing Left4Dead - you couldn't remember Garnett Lee's name, really, REALLY? I think you were trying to casually drop a name without coming out like cool I'm playing with GL4.

- I dug the Red Faction demo too. It was playing like a more realistic/serious version of Saints Row which is cool in my book. I love me some BIG ASS CHAINS, too, but sometimes you need a little something different.

- I hear ya on the new jewelry for Mrs. Cheapy for your anniversary. I am going on 10 years. I got Mrs. Limpy a fairly low end engagement ring and every year I think I should upgrade, but damn that shit is expensive. Maybe you start a new site Cheap Ass Jewelry or something...

If you want free maps, go get FEAR2! I think that game went unappreciated. It has a solid SP campaign and the MP is solid. It's nothing revolutionary, but FEAR2 fixed a lot of the problems in FEAR1. Plus, the 3-map pack that they just release for free is awesome. The maps are all original and very fun to play because they aren't typical places you'd expect to be playing FEAR in. In fact, I barely played the MP until these maps came out because I want to support their efforts to put these out for free, and I've been having a lot of fun.

You know Cheapy, I bet Wombat would like a ipod touch for his birthday. Then he can talk about the apps with you on the show.

I couldn't stop laughing when Cheapy suggested "Wombat's Balls" as a Pixel Junk name. It was hard to contain myself around co-workers, and I had to pretend I was coughing for a few minutes, which made it funnier to me. Great show as usual!

I agree with thorbahn3. I think getting Wombat an iPod Touch would be a great birthday gift and legitimate business expense. Wombat tunes out while you discuss the iPhone/iPod Touch games. He has ample time to try a variety of games on his commute (if he's interested).

As someone with 50 minute bus rides to work each day, I have come to love my iPod Touch. Finding decent apps is terribly difficult due to the tidal wave of crap in the store. Almost all of the apps I've purchased and enjoyed have come from recommendations from gaming podcasts. I certainly hope that there will be more app recommendations for these cheap games.

good show, good show.

i wonder with Marvel v. Capcom 2 coming out this summer and E3 taking place this summer, if capcom would be pimp enough to announce at E3, that MvC2 is available to download today, and Marvel v. Capcom 3 (engine based on the Wii vs. Capcom game) will be out this holiday...or just announce 3 is getting made.

man, that would be awesome!

I liked your idea about the forums cheapy, I would prefer viewing everything at once myself. Even if you merged the the forums, I dont think trolls would be a problem, the mods seem to do a really good jorb.

Also kudos for bringing up the monte carlo stuff, it's some crazy stuff. :drool:

With regards to the extra costumes in Wolverine, I've managed to unlock the 'classic' (yellow and blue) and 'legendary' (yellow and brown) costumes just by finding collectibles in-game.

I didn't personally receive the pre-order bonus code for the 'classic' costume, but I'm told it's a push button code.

Surprisingly, it seems like we're not being nickel and dimed for a change.

Pretty solid game, by and large, and well worth grabbing if you liked GOW/DMC/etc. My only complaints are that the boss battles can be pretty average and the odd framerate drop.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Cheapy. :)

Great show too, gents - keep up the good work!

good show, disappointed to hear Cheapy is giving up on RE5. i can help you beat the whole game in one sitting. just say the word!

btw Wombat, thanks for teaching me how to kill someone with chopsticks and how to conceal them. i'll try it out on my next mission. :)

Great show as always. Just one thing though:

Cheapy, I've heard you flub up Garnett Lee's name in previous CAGcasts. How are you not familiar with the 1UP editor and host of arguably the most popular video game podcast out there? I guess I just find it strange that, doing what you do for a living and being who you are, you don't really know him. He's even given you props on ListenUp before when discussing the Japanese gaming market...

As I mentioned on this show and past shows:

• 10 years ago, I worked with a guy named Garrett for a year. He sat two desks behind me and we spoke every day.
  • I don't listen to other podcasts
  • I'm not that bright

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, I just wanted to comment on the 6 Days in Fallujah controversy that you mentioned in the show. You expressed that you didn't seem to understand the controversy surrounding the game and to me it didn't seem like you understood the controversy surrounding the actual events the game was supposed to be based on (or perhaps didn't even realise there was any).

Here's a basic summary made from excerts from wikipedia:
"The United States occupation of Fallujah began in April 2003, one month following the beginning of the invasion of Iraq. Fallujah was one of the most peaceful areas of the country just after the fall of Saddam Hussein, and the arrival of US soldiers was received peacefully. However, steps on both sides, starting with the killing of 17 Iraqi civilians by US forces, caused a spiral of violence, including a siege and two reinvasions of the city by US forces. The city is now largely ruined, with 60% of buildings damaged or destroyed, and the population at 30%-50% of pre-war levels."

"Up to 6000 civilians were killed throughout the operation.[10] Residents were allowed to return to the city in mid-December after undergoing biometric identification, provided they carry their ID cards all the time. US officials report that "more than half of Fallujah's 39,000 homes were damaged, and about 10,000 of those were destroyed."

"In 2005, the U.S. military admitted that it used white phosphorus (napalm) as an anti-personnel weapon in Fallujah.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_occupation_of_Fallujah#cite_note-8 The controversial use of white phosphorus by US forces has reportedly resulted in an increase in birth deformities in the city."

Now what do you think the chances are that that these US game developers were actually going to accurately depict these events, especially when they consulted the US military on them (not insurgents Wombat lol, at least not to my knowledge)? And the reason you can't really compare this to World War II games isn't so much that the events in this game are more recent but rather that because they are so recent, not to mention poorly documented, they are at this time... ambiguous for lack of a better word. In World War II games you're fighting Nazi's. The whole world knows that they were the bad guys in that war, where as with Fallujah and the Iraq invasion/war in general such things aren't as clear.

Hope that clears some things up.

Great show again!
One thing though...
I think a wedding ring is supposed to cost 1.5 times your monthly salary, not 6 months' worth.

I also appreciated Cheapy's input on the SR2 DLC, I think a few of us that still play were considering it, but I'll have to pass for now.

bread's done
Back