blockbuster trick YMMV

doraemonkerpal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
this is what i just read off of fw:

I am currently employed by Blockbuster. In the south east region we now have what is called game rush. Because of game rush, blockbuster has begun doing a lot more video game sales and specials. For the past week they have had Buy Two Get One Free on previously viewed movies and games, mix and match. However, here is a nice little fault in the system. Whatever item is scanned last into the register is the one to get free, not necessarliy the cheapest one. Purchase two used VHS's and have the CSR scan them in, then try to pull a oh wait, i'll get another, then get a game, and if all goes well you get a $30 game for $8, or 3 good games for $30. EXTREME YMMV, but atleast worth mentioning. I recently got Burnout 2, Metal Gear Substance, and Crimson Skies for $30.

i dunno if it'll work, but i'm gonna go there tonight to try it out. crimson skies, here i come, lol. if i works, i'll let you know.

if i worked for blockbuster, and someone requested that i scan the most expensive game last, i would probably ask why. if they told me "because then i can get the most expensive game free" i probably would reply with "ok".

i don't really frequent blockbuster, but it seems to me that if you get someone who seems ok, you might not have to be so sneaky about it and, more importantly, it might be easier to get a deal. it's worth a try.

but who knows.

At my Blockbuster here in NorCal, they are really cool about the "third scanned item free" fluke and actually scan them so you get the best deal. I always pick up my DVDs through their buy 2 get 2 free sales and never had any problems. It works fine for games too, no need to have the Rush promotion at your venue.

[quote name='thatstoobad']if i worked for blockbuster, and someone requested that i scan the most expensive game last, i would probably ask why. if they told me "because then i can get the most expensive game free" i probably would reply with "ok".

i don't really frequent blockbuster, but it seems to me that if you get someone who seems ok, you might not have to be so sneaky about it and, more importantly, it might be easier to get a deal. it's worth a try.

but who knows.[/quote]

actually, i wouldn't straight out "ask" them to scan the most expensive item last. i'd probably pick up and ask them to scan them and say, "let me get a 3rd one really quick" or something to that effect.

update: i didn't try it at my local bb b/c their selection was AWFUL! if i go to another, i'll try it out. :)

I had this work for me last night. I picked up 2 15 dollar games and True Crime which was 30. I got true crime for free!

If anyone is going to do this I would hit Blockbuster soon, I am pretty sure this deal ends this week.

No way. I'm gonna have to go do that. I work for them as well and didn't even know about that. Shame mine has awful selection.

Didn't work for me either...First BB I went to said they wouldn't mix and match movies and games, I had them try anyway and the guy said it didn't work?? but then I went to another BB and they said you can mix and match games and movies, but that the computer would automatically give you the cheapest item for free. I'm gonna go back to the second BB and have him try to scan it to make sure he's right.

heres a better scam for you crooks (me included) : go to sears and grab the smallest, most expensive tool set you can find (usually 100$ or so) and nonchalantly take it to the register and tell them that your girlfriend bought you this for your anniversary and you want to take it back since you have no use for it (if you have no reciept, you still get full store credit), and you'll get a 100$ gift card... the best thing is that the security guys on camera cant descern shit about whats actually going on, so you have a near nil chance of being caught
(holds up flame shield)

i wont flame you, but i wont do that either. thats pretty damn smart (immoral, but smart) too bad sears has shitty prices and no gcn games.

[quote name='weimerwanger']heres a better scam for you crooks (me included) : go to sears and grab the smallest, most expensive tool set you can find (usually 100$ or so) and nonchalantly take it to the register and tell them that your girlfriend bought you this for your anniversary and you want to take it back since you have no use for it (if you have no reciept, you still get full store credit), and you'll get a 100$ gift card... the best thing is that the security guys on camera cant descern shit about whats actually going on, so you have a near nil chance of being caught
(holds up flame shield)[/quote]

F-ING ASSHOLE. This site is cheapassgamer not good for nothing - lazy ass - get a damn job - putting people out of work worthless ass gamer.

Getting more games for you buck through legitimate deals is one thing.

Stealing from others just makes you an ass.

[quote name='weimerwanger']heres a better scam for you crooks (me included) : go to sears and grab the smallest, most expensive tool set you can find (usually 100$ or so) and nonchalantly take it to the register and tell them that your girlfriend bought you this for your anniversary and you want to take it back since you have no use for it (if you have no reciept, you still get full store credit), and you'll get a 100$ gift card... the best thing is that the security guys on camera cant descern shit about whats actually going on, so you have a near nil chance of being caught

this is not related to the topic of this thread in any way.

lame.

You know call me crazy but I think he was being sarcastic. Granted you could probably do it anyway but I think he was just saying it as a joke.

i felt it necessary to highlight this part of the post.

if you get caught, you will very likely be arrested. theft is nothing to joke about, don't do this.

heres a better scam for you crooks (me included) : go to sears and grab the smallest, most expensive tool set you can find (usually 100$ or so) and nonchalantly take it to the register and tell them that your girlfriend bought you this for your anniversary and you want to take it back since you have no use for it (if you have no reciept, you still get full store credit), and you'll get a 100$ gift card... the best thing is that the security guys on camera cant descern shit about whats actually going on, so you have a near nil chance of being caught
(holds up flame shield)

lol i laughed when i read that... anywayz when i read it, to me it seemed almost like what yall are trying to do at BlockBuster... trying to get something expensive for free that u arent supposed to be getting for free, by going to a clerk who isnt paying attention...

[i do think it is wrong to steal lol... i'm not trying to justify what he said..]

o well that was my 2 cents..

[quote name='Cracka']
(holds up flame shield)

lol i laughed when i read that... anywayz when i read it, to me it seemed almost like what yall are trying to do at BlockBuster... trying to get something expensive for free that u arent supposed to be getting for free, by going to a clerk who isnt paying attention...

[i do think it is wrong to steal lol... i'm not trying to justify what he said..]

o well that was my 2 cents..[/quote]

*sigh* it's stealing if you don't pay for it. it's not like peeps aren't buying 2 games or just walking out with 3 items under our shirts. :roll:

F-ING ASSHOLE. This site is cheapassgamer not good for nothing - lazy ass - get a damn job - putting people out of work worthless ass gamer.

so who would this be putting out of work, a million dollar company? it's millionaire share holders? F-ING neanderthal.

if you get caught, you will very likely be arrested
not at sears, their policy is to "discourage" shoplifters and scammers, the only time someone would go to jail from scamming sears is if they were an employee, other than that they give you a verbal slap on the wrist and tell you if you keep it up they wont let you in the store anymore.

on a side note, i am being facetious to a degree because i know myriads of economic and moral prodigies (the same ones who scam gamecrazy and blockbuster) would flame me about this even though the line separating the two practices is a lot thinner than they can see

and fyi, i've never done what i posted

::sigh:: good thing i had my flame shield up

[quote name='Cracka']
(holds up flame shield)

We all find glitches in the system and take advantage, but, to what extent is what seperates a cheapass gamer from a theif.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal'][quote name='Cracka']
(holds up flame shield)

*sigh* it's stealing if you don't pay for it. it's not like peeps aren't buying 2 games or just walking out with 3 items under our shirts. :roll:[/quote]

So it isnt stealing to swap tags on an item, so long as you pay something for it...sweet. Actually I dont have a problem with your blockbuster deal, I just love watching people argue back and forth about it.

This is actually like the other BB argument : taking the 12 month Live cards.

Its OK to ask if you can take them.
Its NOT OK to just take them.

For the 3 for 2 sale

Its OK to either ask, or pile up a certian way
Its NOT OK to outright leave the store with what would have been your "free" game without paying for the other 2.

Im not saying this is the best of things to do, but if they made the system that way, go with it.

You guys are killing me. Looky at what I found on blockbuster.com:

*Buy any two (2) BLOCKBUSTER Previously Played Games at regular price and get one (1) BLOCKBUSTER Previously Played Game of equal or lesser value FREE.

So to recap, weimerwanger is right. If you purposely try to trick the cashier to get the most expensive game for free, you may as well be stealing. I assume some of you would probably say it's OK to buy two $15 games and a get a $30 game free, but it's not OK to buy two old PS games for $3 and get a $40 game for free, because that's going too far. The thing is that there really is no gray area here. You're trying to change the prices yourselves...Blockbuster isn't selling those games for the prices you're trying to get them to charge you. If I worked at BB (ironically enough I work at Sears and have seen this before) and one of you came in trying to pull something like that, I'd laugh and make sure you got the least expensive game for free.

I am really unfamiliar with GameRush, because I've never seen it, but there are two Blockbusters nearby so I figure I can try it out.

I remember in January I went in to the normal one I go to and saw a box of Butterfingers that said "Please Take One" on it. Turned out they got a huge extra shipment. My ex-roommate (still buds) started to take a handful when the worker stopped him and directed him to the games section where there was a box full of boxes full of Baby Ruths and Butterfingers. I took one of butterfingers and he took two baby ruths (one for his friend). I figure they would allow this "deal."

Respectfully, I somewhat disagree with the assertion that it's stealing or immoral. Cheesy, perhaps, but I wouldn't even go so far as to try it. If I was going to buy there I'd just hand the cashier a stack of 3 with the most expensive one on the bottom. Call me crazy, but I sincerely doubt that most Blockbuster wage monkeys know about this bug; and I sincerely doubt that 7 out of 10 of them would care if they did. As long as the bug is in the registers and not a mistake the cashier made, their balance sheets will come up OK, as long as the store balances come up OK, then the managers aren't going to care.

Personally? I'm not Blockbuster's accountant. Never have been, never will be. I don't care. If I choose to do business with them it's payment for services rendered, and I will pay what I'm charged and not loose a bit of sleep because there's an accounting bug. And I have an overactive conscience! You should've seen the wierd looks I got at the auto parts store when I was trying to explain that I wanted them to charge me again for something I'd bought three days ago! (The initial charge had looked like a double-billing mistake, so I'd talked to the store the day before and they'd refunded me one charge, but the bank had caught the second charge and stopped it. Net=The store was out 17 some odd bucks, and I was trying to convince a confused clerk to let me pay 17 dollars cash for something I'd bought two days ago.)

Quite frankly, the blockbuster thing strikes me as mild at best. Now that thing a few weeks ago where people were intentionally pre-ordering from EBGAMES and registering with reservation rewards with no intention of keeping the pre-order or the membership just to get the 10 dollar codes... That's not right. but if I just happen to give the blockbuster clerk 3 games with the most expensive one on the bottom. Meh. Can't say I care.

[quote name='"weimerwanger"']

so who would this be putting out of work, a million dollar company? it's millionaire share holders? F-ING neanderthal.

[quote name='"weimerwanger"']

Ok so in addition to all I said above you are also an ignorant son of a bitch.

When individuals steal from a company it adds to net loss for that company. So what does that company do? They raise prices, and layoff workers in order to compensate. It affects everybody.

Learn some economics you F-Ing moron.

Oh and if you were being sarcastic with your original post then I apologize for the flame but judging from your ignorant comment later on you were apparently quite serious.

As far as the blockbuster subject if you take three games to the counter and that's the way it rings up then that's one thing, but if you plot to take advantage of an obvious error, well the that's getting kind of shady. Not flaming with this one just IMO

yall still dont seem to see that picking up a toolbox at sears and saying that u got it as a gift but dont have a receipt and want ur money back, is basically the same thing as trying to get a game for free that u arent supposed to get for free..

the sale says u get a game of equal or lesser value.. therefore if u buy two 19 dollar games and try to get a 40 dollar game for free, you are basically trying to steal 20 dollars from the store...

*sigh* it's stealing if you don't pay for it. it's not like peeps aren't buying 2 games or just walking out with 3 items under our shirts.

so ur saying as long as ur buying 2 games, its alright?.. so if i went to sears and bought 2 games then did the toolbox thing it would be okay right? because i'm not just walking out of the store with it under my shirt..

lol i'm not saying either one is right, but if u say one is acceptable and the other is basically doing the same thing, u cant condemn the 2nd one.

[quote name='Cracka']yall still dont seem to see that picking up a toolbox at sears and saying that u got it as a gift but dont have a receipt and want ur money back, is basically the same thing as trying to get a game for free that u arent supposed to get for free..

the sale says u get a game of equal or lesser value.. therefore if u buy two 19 dollar games and try to get a 40 dollar game for free, you are basically trying to steal 20 dollars from the store...

*sigh* it's stealing if you don't pay for it. it's not like peeps aren't buying 2 games or just walking out with 3 items under our shirts.

so ur saying as long as ur buying 2 games, its alright?.. so if i went to sears and bought 2 games then did the toolbox thing it would be okay right? because i'm not just walking out of the store with it under my shirt..

lol i'm not saying either one is right, but if u say one is acceptable and the other is basically doing the same thing, u cant condemn the 2nd one.[/quote]

i call taking advantage of the bb deal buy buying 2 vhs tapes and then getting a $30 game for free, "raping the shit out of a deal." The difference is that you are trying to steal straight from a store if you say that you are returning something you didnt buy, I admit I may think twice about trying to take advantage of this "deal"

I already am feeling a bit shady for using 8 of those $10 off coupons at ebgames, I told myself I learned my lesson and would not do any more shady "deals". ah crap

[quote name='Cracka']yall still dont seem to see that picking up a toolbox at sears and saying that u got it as a gift but dont have a receipt and want ur money back, is basically the same thing as trying to get a game for free that u arent supposed to get for free..

lol i'm not saying either one is right, but if u say one is acceptable and the other is basically doing the same thing, u cant condemn the 2nd one.[/quote]

um... your example is like comparing apples to oranges. this store has a legit sale going on and it's buy two get one free. if they happen to scan the most expensive one last, you're getting a better deal. your example was to just buy 2 games from sears and grab a toolbox? i don't see a deal where it says buy 2 games, get a toolbox free. if you're gonna make some comparisons, at least try to make sense.

whatever it is, i get your drift. my reply to you was basically saying that this isn't theft/stealing and comparing it to stealing a $100 toolbox is ridiculous. i never said it was legit, i just said you could get away with it. what if somebody got it without the intention of doing it? they're just lucky is all. they're not thieves. this is a veryyyyyyyy mild trick and calling it "stealing" is going too far. :roll:

ps. i never condemned the second one.

Hey here's a hot answer to this topic... who cares? Honestly if it goes against your morals then don't do it. However, if someone else feels like it is alright to do then let them. I get so tired of everyone feeling the need to be morally responsible for everyone else. Is someone going to be arrested for setting the most expensive game in a stack of 3 on the bottom. Hell no, there is no way this would ever happen even if they walked up to a cop and told them blatently what they did. This means it basically comes down to a moral dilema.

I think that when a store has fine print like "equal or lesser value" then its the store's responsibility to enforce it, not ours.

In addition to that, here's a little lesson for anyone who hasn't taken a personal law class. When you buy a product, regardless of the price listed, what you are doing is making an offer. When you're at a store what those price tags are basically saying is what the minimum price the store is willing to accept for your offer for. This means that by making your offer the store has the option to either accept or decline your offer. Now if the store declines your offer then oh well your not gonna get your deal and get the most expensive one free but if they accept your offer then what do you know you've gotten a good deal. Illegal? Not in any stretch of the imagination.

The toolbox comparison is not even close. When you walk up to a counter and say that this toolbox is yours and you would like to return it, you are not only lying but you are commiting fraud. Illegal? Just about anywhere.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Hey here's a hot answer to this topic... who cares? Honestly if it goes against your morals then don't do it. However, if someone else feels like it is alright to do then let them. I get so tired of everyone feeling the need to be morally responsible for everyone else. Is someone going to be arrested for setting the most expensive game in a stack of 3 on the bottom. Hell no, there is no way this would ever happen even if they walked up to a cop and told them blatently what they did. This means it basically comes down to a moral dilema.

I think that when a store has fine print like "equal or lesser value" then its the store's responsibility to enforce it, not ours.

In addition to that, here's a little lesson for anyone who hasn't taken a personal law class. When you buy a product, regardless of the price listed, what you are doing is making an offer. When you're at a store what those price tags are basically saying is what the minimum price the store is willing to accept for your offer for. This means that by making your offer the store has the option to either accept or decline your offer. Now if the store declines your offer then oh well your not gonna get your deal and get the most expensive one free but if they accept your offer then what do you know you've gotten a good deal. Illegal? Not in any stretch of the imagination.

The toolbox comparison is not even close. When you walk up to a counter and say that this toolbox is yours and you would like to return it, you are not only lying but you are commiting fraud. Illegal? Just about anywhere.[/quote]

well spoken :)

ah the old morall flexibility curve. I guess what my point was supposed to be was that I used 8 of those $10 off coupons from ebgames, and so I am no one to judge if you want to rape the shit out of this deal. And of course there is no way you get arrested if you get busted trying to take advantage of a dumb employee at blockbuster.

weimerwanger I look forward to your next post.

"Hey guys I tried it an got and... the Sears guys got me."

I jail using the flame guard on your own cheap ass in the showers.

Okay...I have stollen many times in my life...I have gotten cuaght only twice. I did not get arrested nor did I get a citation...I quit stealing because I got too caught up in it and knew I would wind up in Juvie and f*** up my life...I only stole I did not scam...I feel it is wrong now and I stopped doing it...Some people dont always steal for the purpose of getting things...Its deeper than that...I felt the need for a rush, the risk of getting caught was fun...I know it may sound messed up, but thats how it was...Dont tell people what to think, you have your opinions and they have theirs...I dont regret stealing but I wont do it agian...I feel bad because the Sam Goody near me closed down because of Net losses and the Michaels (an art store) has raised theyre prices about 2 dollars...I feel bad because now I have to pay and Im sorry to all the people that had to buy things with inflaitted prices...like RedvsBlue said "Stealing is a moral issue"...an opinion

[quote name='murcielago77']hey CouRageouS where in the bay area did you go?[/quote]

I'm in the East Bay, namely Alameda. But I do hit up the Blockbusters in San Leandro, Hayward, down to Fremont/Union City. I usually only do the deal for DVDs but the 2 venues here in Alameda let me mix it up with games too.

weimerwanger I look forward to your next post.

"Hey guys I tried it an got and... the Sears guys got me."
would you be referring to the geriatrics that work surveillance that politely ask theives to leave?
again, i've never done this, and dont plan on doing it as i am well off as it is so that i dont need to steal.
and dont try to enlighten me on what would happen if someone were to get caught, because it doesnt happen, at least when they cover their asses the least bit, i know tons of people who have been caught stealing, from employees to customers, dealing with every type of theft or scam, and i know tons of people who never get caught stealing from said department store chain.

humorously enough, i'll admit i have been caught stealing from sears when i was about 10 years old, i went around to the t-shirts in the boys section and punched out the free pogs that came out of the attached tag with each shirt... i really didnt think i was doing anything horribly wrong at the time but i ended up getting lectured by security at the store exit and ended up giving the pogs back. :oops:

Actually I worked at sears for a bit over two years, In their asset protection department.

In that time I had about 8-10 employees arrested, taken in handcuffs by the police.
Somewhere around 100 "customers" arrested and taken in handcuffs
Id say half of those were attempting to do the "tool trick' amazingly it usually was with tools.
Just put a camera on the nice tool set display and just about everyday some idiot would pick one up and either walk out with it or try to refund it.

those people go to jail. Dont spread your uneducated plan on a board full of kids who may think you are right.

Because you are most definately not.

Dont spread your uneducated plan on a board full of kids who may think you are right.

Because you are most definately not.
if you want to discount my credibility, i've seen many people do the original scam i layed out, since i worked there, and i'll go as far as to say (for the sake of arguement) that i've embezzled thousands of dollars from sears in a matter of weeks and have had no negative reprecussions. (please dont flame, it was during a completely different life)
the greatest part was when i'd question my managers about how someone could foolproofedly(sp?) make tons of $$ off the store and they'd be totally stuck without an answer and retort with "we'll they would be caught, and employees are persecuted and sent to jail"
im sure you did your best and felt very satisfied with yourself as asset protection, but truth is, only the dumbasses are the ones that get caught.

Granted there are idiots on bothe sides at that comapny.
That said dont sit there and outline your method of theft like its a sure thing. There were several exceptionally smart people that were sent to the holding cell, stealing thousands of dollars in weeks isnt that big a deal, especially if it was merchandise, they sell rings for $3999.99. and if you made it out with that much cash theyre just plain old idiots especially if it took you weeks to do it.

and if you are such a good theif the refund method is at the bottom of the barrel.

You can stop posting about how good a theif you are/were to validate your previous comments/boasts. Like I said you dont need to be filling some of the kids on this sites minds with that garbage.

Now for the topic to this forum, its hard to do that here because there is 3-4 people behind the counter and they will point stuff out to the person ringin ya up.not worth it here anyways, the blockbusters seem to not get the good games in for awhile after they come out, then they dont sell em for about a year for 10 bucks off original price.

bread's done
Back