Thomas Kinkade Paintings - Proof that many people have bad taste

Xevious

CAGiversary!
I keep seeing Thomas Kinkade painting in peoples homes lately. I think they are fucking ugly. I heard that these painting are mass produced and its a million dollar industry.

Have you guys seen these paintings? Maybe they are in your homes (apologizies if you are insulted- I am just expressing my opinion).

Here is the link in case you dont know what I am talking about: The Cottage paintings are the ones I see the most

http://www.thomaskinkade.com/magi/servlet/com.asucon.ebiz.catalog.web.tk.CatalogServlet

I think they sell them at malls. I'm not sure.

The prints certainly are mass-produced. We gave my mom a coffeetable book of his work [we got it for free]. What i've seen of his work is skillful, yet unmemorable. Soothing. Good 'background' paintings. Not really my type of thing.

His stuff was decent in the beginning, but at this point, its just mass-produced, overpriced crap. He has so many product lines out now, he can't possibly spend more than 15 minutes on each. There's like 5 different series of ceramic houses, lamps, collectors plates out the wazoo, 3D collector plates out the wazoo, bells, mugs, clocks, teddy bears, a train set, pots, music boxes, jewelry, Christmas ornaments and more. And that's not even touching the actual artwork prints, of which they produce several different varieties of different qualities of each print.

[quote name='Xevious']I think they sell them at malls. I'm not sure.[/quote]
They sell them everywhere. And I do mean everywhere.

Thomas Kinkade is a stupid piece of shit. My cousin in Lubbock had two or three of his art galleries open in various malls selling his pictures at a certain price point designated by his company. Under contractual obligation he wasn't allowed to sell them outside of his stores for any less then what the stores were selling.
Well the stupid douche goes on HSN selling his shitty paintings for WAY less then what they go for in the stores. Suffice to say my cousin is in the process of filing lawsuits against him.

Way overpriced, but pretty skillful.

I think they're a little tacky to have hanging in your house, unless you have an old-fashioned style decor.

Here's what I've got on my wall.
Probably won't appeal to Kinkade-lovers.

the%20temptation%20of%20saint%20anthony.jpg

Before the fallout with his mall stores and his overproduced EVERYTHING my mom actually purchased a painting and it's pretty nice. I also met the guy and saw him draw a picture at a special function held by my cousin. He's so fake and cheesy, but I didn't realize just how cheesy he was at the time because of my age. He must have incorporated God into EVERY facet of his picture, and even at that young age it got annoyingly redundant.

[quote name='Tromack']I hate Thomas Kinkade. If I could wage a crusade against that man and his factory manufactured "art", I would.[/quote]

Bbbbbbut, he is the "Master of Light" :fridge:

I am not a fan of his work, and yes he gets a lot from licensing his artwork to different things, like mugs, and other items...but his originals do look very nice in a lighted area

I have three of them. You guys are douchebags.

Well, actually I don't, but my parents do. They are the cottage ones, and they go nicely by the pool table.

Oh yeah, I was kidding about being douchebags, so don't take it personal.

[quote name='Tromack']I hate Thomas Kinkade. If I could wage a crusade against that man and his factory manufactured "art", I would.[/quote]

I'll join that crusade in a heartbeat. You can count me in.

That's a bunch of shit. IMO, that gaudy roccoco style is ugly, but more importantly, the fact that these paintings have become trendy, like say an expensive handbag for women, is horrendus. Those manufactured craps aren't art, they are an insult to art.

[quote name='screwkick']His work is very repeditive...however, I find it calming, with a warm feeling inside.

***End Gay Opinion*** :wink:[/quote]

I find my whiskey drinking habit to be very repeditive too but yet is also gives me a nice warm feeling inside too.

[quote name='dtcarson']Here's what I've got on my wall.

[/quote]

Actually, you're wrong there. I love Dali. He's one of my fav. painters, and so is Thomas Kinkade. ;) I have two Dali poster prints and had (it was for 2004) a Thomas calendar that I got as a present.

oh and what screwkick said. I love the warming colors and feel. I don't think there's anything wrong with his art, but yes, it does get a little repetitive. And yeah, he's mass marketed, but you guys act like no artist has ever been mass marketed before. He's in it for the money, not the art. That's pretty obvious. But I could care less. I like his paintings, not him. I'm not all that religious after all. A God fearing, money lover! Now you gotta love him for that. ;)

Yeah, they're bad. He hawks them on QVS or HSN or whatever.

But they're safe. In other words, perfect for the Mormon crowd. Older generation. Young kids. You won't find anything offensive in these paintings.

I would argue it's decoration, not art.

The wife's got an original tucked away somewhere. I've never seen it but it's worth a pretty penny. I'm not a fan but the guy's got some talent.

[quote name='snotknocker']The wife's got an original tucked away somewhere. I've never seen it but it's worth a pretty penny. I'm not a fan but the guy's got some talent.[/quote]

Tell your wife to sell it. Money is better to admire.

I couldn't agree with you more, the man is a talentless hack. His paintings sort of make me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef']That's a bunch of shit. IMO, that gaudy roccoco style is ugly, but more importantly, the fact that these paintings have become trendy, like say an expensive handbag for women, is horrendus. Those manufactured craps aren't art, they are an insult to art.[/quote]

LOL, one of the few things I remember from my art history class is my instructor's hatred of roccoco.

[quote name='dtcarson']The prints certainly are mass-produced. We gave my mom a coffeetable book of his work [we got it for free]. What i've seen of his work is skillful, yet unmemorable. Soothing. Good 'background' paintings. Not really my type of thing.[/quote]

i never got my free kinkade stuff, i ordered the scarf. alot of people like kinkade, than again, alot of people like ashlee simpson, different tastes,( or in the ashlee simpson case, no taste, just brainwashing

OH MAN!! I always wonder who in their right fucking mind likes Kinkade crap. The guy is a painting whore - his paintings "grace" everything from plates to toilet accessories (I'm sure they do). Anyway, I'm sure he's got a nice house, nice wheels, and is laughing his ass to the bank!

Give the kids in your life the coolest train around!!

From the "Painter of Light" to the kids that will think you are the lamest fuck ever....

pdtl-49039.jpg

OMG, as a graphic design student, I can't stand Kinkade. His massed produced sweatshop "art" makes me want to vomit. The guy is a phony who likes to try to add religious meaning to his stupid meaningless "art" in an effort to sell more of it. There must be a whole league of disallusioned old christian ladies and unimaginative people (i.e. mild retards) supporting this crap. I'm sure Kinkade's phony ass is laughing all the way to the bank as people eat this crap up.

And his artwork is everywhere...ugh...and his "gallery" stores at the mall are eyesores.

The only piece of Kinkade art I want to own is Kinkade toilet paper so I can wipe my ass with it and then flush it down the toilet.

I have one thing to say to Thomas Kinkade...Norman Rockwell pwns you.

[quote name='Spacepest']I have one thing to say to Thomas Kinkade...Norman Rockwell pwns you.[/quote]

I think this is the first time Norman Rockwell has pwned anything.

THe only good thing I can think to say about Kinkade's stuff is it's less obnoxious than the Keene paintings of big eyed sad things.
http://www.keane-eyes.com/

And Hummels, I'd gladly never see one again.

The latest entry in the sclock-art business, the presence of Kinkade prints ina home always create the impression of the resident having looted a motel room before leaving in the morning.

[quote name='dtcarson']Here's what I've got on my wall.

[/quote]

Look's similar to Dali, awesome painter

I have never seen any of his work in anyone's home. From what I saw from the site, it's ok, but I've seen better out there. Or, at least there are other things I'd rather put up in my house. It's not bad.

[quote name='nevposey']I have never seen any of his work in anyone's home. [/quote]

Consider yourself lucky...

FBI investigates popular artist Thomas Kinkade, newspaper reports

August 30, 2006 - 12:35

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The FBI is investigating artist Thomas Kinkade and company executives on allegations they fraudulently induced investors to open galleries, then ruined them financially, a newspaper reported.
Relying on information from former Kinkade dealers contacted by federal agents, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday that the FBI is focusing on issues raised in litigation brought by at least six former Thomas Kinkade Signature Gallery owners.

At least 10 former dealers nationwide have alleged in arbitration claims that the "Painter of Light" - a California native beloved by some but reviled by the art establishment - exploited his Christianity to persuade people to invest in the galleries, which sell only Kinkade's work.

After they had invested tens of thousands of dollars each, the ex-owners said, the company's policies drove them out of business. They say they were saddled with limited-edition prints no one wanted to buy, forced to open stores in inappropriate venues and undercut by discount galleries peddling the same items at prices they could not match.

Some also say Kinkade - who claims to be the most widely collected living U.S. artist - schemed to devalue his public company, Media Arts Group Inc., so he could buy it on the cheap. In 2004, Kinkade and other investors paid $32.7 million to take Media Arts Group private, changing its name to Thomas Kinkade Co.

"These dealers became investors primarily because they were believers in faith, love, family and God, and the paintings reflect those values," said Joseph Ejbeh, an attorney who tried an arbitration case that began in San Francisco in December 2004.

Kinkade Co. spokesman Jim Bryant said the company was unaware of an FBI investigation.

"We assert that there are no legitimate grounds for a federal investigation of any kind," Bryant said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press.

FBI agent Brian Wickham did not return a phone call Tuesday from the AP.
Kinkade's paintings typically include tranquil scenes of country gardens, churches, streams and lighthouses in dewy morning light. Many contain images from Bible passages.

Roughly 10 million Americans have a Kinkade painting at home. The wall hangings and spin-off products are said to earn $100 million US a year.

If anyone pays over $500 bucks a pop for these paintings you should feel like a dumbass. If you are insulted, I do not appologize, you should feel stupid, realize you made an incredibly bogus investment, and move on.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']But they're safe. In other words, perfect for the Mormon crowd. Older generation. Young kids. You won't find anything offensive in these paintings.[/quote]

I find his use of color and lighting to be offensive. But he's being offensive in the name of the Lord!

40 year old, Christian, white women [no offense, but I've never met anyone but old aging white women..especially divorced ones..who like his paintings]

Thankfully, he'll lose his appeal as our generation becomes the future.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']I couldn't agree with you more, the man is a talentless hack. His paintings sort of make me throw up a little bit in my mouth.[/quote]

I totally agree - there's nothing really artistic about his work other than he can paint a semi-pretty picture. Maybe there's something wrong with me but I don't feel warm and fuzzy when I look at them - I feel a little cold and dead inside because his paintings have no soul.

It's too rough looking for my tastes: he seems to contrast colors a lot and shows more detail than I like. IMO in landscapes, less detail can be more soothing, since it allows for more immersion as you paint in the tiny details. That is why some people feel it looks empty and emotionless.

Then again, what do i know? I'm just an idiot teenager who occasionally catches a Joy of Painting rerun and has some Black and White pictures in my room

Absolute and total shite. You will never see that hack's handiwork hanging in a respected gallery and with good reason. He's a talented craftsman but an artist he is not. If you think he's a good artist, then you're a lifer in the Illiterati. Sory.

The paintings are good but I wouldn't want to own any piece. I agree that there's too much detail and it doesn't fit the subject matter; imo landscapes shouldn't be that detailed. It feels unrealistic.

Is he really known as the master of light? If you guys want to see a real master do a search on edward hopper. Love his stuff - it's so peaceful, lonely, and everything looks so pure.

[quote name='rebthor']Bbbbbbut, he is the "Master of Light" :fridge:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, anyone who gives himself the nickname "the Painter of Light" is a real douche ass.

Norman Rockwell. Now there's a real painter. Love his stuff.

bread's done
Back