SAGER NP9850 - (Built on Clevo M980NU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy how much this thing will weigh. I hope you're not looking for something portable.

I've got a Dell M1730 with a 17" screen and it weighs at least 10 pounds. I imagine this one will be the same, if not more.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Enjoy how much this thing will weigh. I hope you're not looking for something portable.

I've got a Dell M1730 with a 17" screen and it weighs at least 10 pounds. I imagine this one will be the same, if not more.[/QUOTE]

I got one too and selling on here. :D

[quote name='VipFREAK']Funny part about this is it will be Obsolete in 6 mo. Maybe less...[/QUOTE]
This is a fact that us pc/laptop gamers have to deal with unfortunately. :bomb:

That's until the next best thing comes out, the cycles begins again...

Yeah, I just remember back when I was in Industrial Design and we need all the power we could get for our 3D modelers. These guys with the Sagers were pretty much the heater for the whole table as well as the annoying music player (damn fans that loud).

Yeah, I've had a few experiences with the Sagers myself. Really didn't care for them all that much.

The only reason I have the M1740 is because it's a company machine and I needed the most powerful machine that we could get at the time. It's so damn unwieldy though.

WOW, if you max this thing out you'll be paying over 6K. That's nuts.

I tried the gaming notebook thing once. Once was enough.

[quote name='souljah420']well it is a 12 cell that might give you 3-4 hours, i cant get over the fact you can put 3 internal hard drives in this. what the fuck?[/QUOTE]

I bet two hours tops running at full load.:) That thing is nice though, sager usually has pretty bland designs, but I like that. Still prefer the look of the Alienware though.

EDIT

Damn, just looked at the configuration options, not too bad for the price. Makes the Alienware look insanely overpriced. I have to think about this.

[quote name='docvinh']I bet two hours tops running at full load.:) That thing is nice though, sager usually has pretty bland designs, but I like that. Still prefer the look of the Alienware though.

EDIT

Damn, just looked at the configuration options, not too bad for the price. Makes the Alienware look insanely overpriced. I have to think about this.[/QUOTE]

My total came to $2,715 for everything btw. That's for only adding an OS and a custom panel design.

Hell it comes with a standard 3 year labor warranty / 1 year on parts and lifetime tech support.

Dell doesn't offer that as a standard warranty. :drool:

If its just as is, no customizing, you'll spend about $2500.

Also upgrades are easy with Sager laptops that's why I didn't max out the specs.

docvinh - beauty is on the inside for the Sager, Outside for the Alienware. ;)

[quote name='xcopy']

Also upgrades are easy with Sager laptops that's why I didn't max out the specs.[/QUOTE]

That's nice but...

1. Is there actually anything to upgrade with?

2. Will it be worth it by then?

LOL, at the battery life and weight comments. 16inch+ laptops/desktop replacements are "haul & plugs"- the battery only needs to last long enough for you to plug it back in if someone trips over your power cord. ;)

[quote name='VipFREAK']That's nice but...

1. Is there actually anything to upgrade with?

2. Will it be worth it by then?[/QUOTE]

1. I'm going to upgrade the CPU/RAM and HDD once I get it. (and GPU when a better one comes out)

It'll be cheaper than me customizing to the max.

Also my best friend owns a Computer shop and I get a 20% discount.

2. To some yes, to others no. That's a decision you'll need to make on your own.

That shit adds up you know. :lol:

[quote name='xcopy']My total came to $2,715 for everything btw. That's for only adding an OS and a custom panel design.

Hell it comes with a standard 3 year labor warranty / 1 year on parts and lifetime tech support.

Dell doesn't offer that as a standard warranty. :drool:

If its just as is, no customizing, you'll spend about $2500.

Also upgrades are easy with Sager laptops that's why I didn't max out the specs.

docvinh - beauty is on the inside for the Sager, Outside for the Alienware. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not bad at all. I'm actually impressed with the Sager, it's actually not too bad of a looker.:) The warranty might be the thing that puts me over. Let me know your impressions of it when you get it.

i get a 20% discount on alienware and dell products...should i stick with getting a M17x or this Sager? Mind you that I wont have time to get a basic model and upgrade the parts later on (so basically I am going to buy it fully loaded)

[quote name='refusedchaos']i get a 20% discount on alienware and dell products...should i stick with getting a M17x or this Sager? Mind you that I wont have time to get a basic model and upgrade the parts later on (so basically I am going to buy it fully loaded)[/QUOTE]

The Sager for 2 good reasons.

1. Standard 3 Year Warranty for Labor - 1 Year Parts.
2. No State sales tax. (unless you are in the State where they are located) (At Dell/Alienware it was $200+)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='xcopy']The Sager for 2 good reasons.

1. Standard 3 Year Warranty for Labor - 1 Year Parts.
2. No State sales tax. (unless you are in the State where they are located) (At Dell/Alienware it was $200+)[/QUOTE]

the 20% off takes care of sales tax and some more for me. If i got alienware, id be getting their 4Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis. How would the other company's warrenty be (cause i would probably get their Sager 3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty w/ Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Customer Support-)? Cause usually at Dell I just have to give them my problem and tell them that I already ran diagnostics and they just ship out the parts to me with little questions asked.

sorry for all the questions, I'd just though i would ask here instead of making a new thread

[quote name='refusedchaos']the 20% off takes care of sales tax and some more for me. If i got alienware, id be getting their 4Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis. How would the other company's warrenty be (cause i would probably get their Sager 3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty w/ Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Toll Free Customer Support-)? Cause usually at Dell I just have to give them my problem and tell them that I already ran diagnostics and they just ship out the parts to me with little questions asked.

sorry for all the questions, I'd just though i would ask here instead of making a new thread[/QUOTE]

Sager doesn't come to your home. You have to send in your laptop if it needs to be repaired or you can do it yourself.

It's easier to service the Sagers too, you don't need to take apart 95% of your system just to do a CPU or GPU upgrade.

So good luck with that if you ever plan on upgrading your M17x.

Their Customer Service is top notch though. All their Operators speak 110% English fluently - if you know what I mean.

With F'ing Dell good luck with getting someone who speaks good English.

99.9% of the time you'll get transferred to Habib or Kuldip. :lol: Who f'ing don't know wtf you are saying or talking about, so you have to speak slow and shit.

It's really up to. Sure the M17x looks beautiful on the outside, but not the inside. With the Sager it's the opposite.

I opt for a custom panel skin on mine, which will f'ing rock once it's on there.

[quote name='xcopy']Sager doesn't come to your home. You have to send in your laptop if it needs to be repaired or you can do it yourself.

It's easier to service the Sagers too, you don't need to take apart 95% of your system just to do a CPU or GPU upgrade.

So good luck with that if you ever plan on upgrading your M17x.

Their Customer Service is top notch though. All their Operators speak 110% English fluently - if you know what I mean.

99.9% of the time you'll get transferred to Habib or Kuldip. :lol: Who f'ing don't know wtf you are saying or talking about, so you have to speak slow and shit.

It's really up to. Sure the M17x looks beautiful on the outside, but not the inside. With the Sager it's the opposite.

I opt for a custom panel skin on mine, which will f'ing rock once it's on there.[/QUOTE]

looks like im getting a Sager now :D

I'm so glad I happened upon this thread. I was just looking at Alienware's website yesterday, and doing more dreaming than anything else. But $2700 is actually doable, much more so than the $5000+ Alienware wants. And the Sager warranty is deadly.

Hmmm, xcopy you have just added something to my "to buy" list. ;)

hmm anyone else notice that this lappy is limited to up to 6.8GB of RAM due to Chipset Limitation?

now im stumped whether to get it or not

I'm sure no game requires 6.8 gigs of ram (especially DDR3) all programs still aren't written specifically for 4 gigs

wow I wanna know what kind of jobs you guys have to be willing to spend this much on a freakin laptop!
It's awesome though, but what kind of games do you have to play on the go >.<
I'm a big PC gamer but on the go I play roms...or read :p

[quote name='urpoodoo']as a laptop repair tech i hope you buy accidental damage coverage.[/QUOTE]
No need, since it will be sitting on my desk with the lid always shut.

I use an external keyboard and mouse 100% of the time to keep some of my laptops clean and in pristine condition.

[quote name='xcopy']No need, since it will be sitting on my desk with the lid always shut.

I use an external keyboard and mouse 100% of the time to keep some of my laptops clean and in pristine condition.[/QUOTE]

So, basically you're paying a laptop price... for a desktop?

[quote name='Moxio']So, basically you're paying a laptop price... for a desktop?[/QUOTE]

I hate desktops, full/mid/small factor. I prefer laptops because of less clutter, they look nicer and once in awhile take it to LAN parties. As far as price, no biggie here.

[quote name='SuxoR']
wow I wanna know what kind of jobs you guys have to be willing to spend this much on a freakin laptop!
It's awesome though, but what kind of games do you have to play on the go [/QUOTE]

I make games for a living, thus, I need something I can take on the go with plenty of graphical and processing power. You would be surprised how quickly your programs can eat up 4GB of memory. I sit at about 73% memory load constantly.

Hey i was looking at The sager Np9850 and the m17x and was wondering what should i buy the alien ware is around 3k and the sager is around the same price soo its really hard to decide which 1
and im kinda new at lappy's
which is the better gaming laptop?

[quote name='Beastxxx']Hey i was looking at The sager Np9850 and the m17x and was wondering what should i buy the alien ware is around 3k and the sager is around the same price soo its really hard to decide which 1
and im kinda new at lappy's
which is the better gaming laptop?[/QUOTE]

i was going to choose Sager but then i found out that its chipset doesn't fully support 8gb (only up to 6.8gb) ram. So if you plan to upgrade you ram later, go m17x. I was fipfloping for awhile but then just choose to go back to the m17x

[quote name='refusedchaos']i was going to choose Sager but then i found out that its chipset doesn't fully support 8gb (only up to 6.8gb) ram. So if you plan to upgrade you ram later, go m17x. I was fipfloping for awhile but then just choose to go back to the m17x[/QUOTE]

ouch i.c soo... there about the same??
but sager only supports 6bg?
im confused >_<

m17x (looks better lol..)
There the same price now ..too..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='refusedchaos']hmm anyone else notice that this lappy is limited to up to 6.8GB of RAM due to Chipset Limitation?

now im stumped whether to get it or not[/QUOTE]
wait when you get to customize it
it allows you to go up to 8gbs soo... thats weird

[quote name='Beastxxx']wait when you get to customize it
it allows you to go up to 8gbs soo... thats weird[/QUOTE]

yea i know, but next to it says that it can only go up to 6.8gb

m17x supports full 8gb

[quote name='refusedchaos']yea i know, but next to it says that it can only go up to 6.8gb

m17x supports full 8gb[/QUOTE]

oo i c haha ya i think i might go with the AW Mebey ... dont know
its on my wish list for now till Christmas when i get it

[quote name='refusedchaos']yea i know, but next to it says that it can only go up to 6.8gb

m17x supports full 8gb[/QUOTE]

oo i c haha ya i think i might go with the AW Mebey ... dont know
its on my wish list for now till Christmas when i get it
then again i dont think ill get a 8gb ram any time soon
+ AW is 17 Sager is 18
dont know which 1 would be better i whould like a big wide screen to game on

sigh i dont know its all so brain rattling
sigh

[quote name='Beastxxx']+ AW is 17 Sager is 18[/QUOTE]

the alienware is 1920 x 1200, 16:10.. the sager is 1920x1080, 16:9.. physical screen real estate is about equal but the alienware has 15% more pixels.

do people actually care more about physical size than resolution? esp for a laptop, the goal should be small highres screen

[quote name='xcopy']
[/QUOTE]

From the times I have worked with them on clients hardware, Dell does offer Gold Technical support which is pretty good. The agents seem knowledgeable and are in America.

[quote name='Koggit']the alienware is 1920 x 1200, 16:10.. the sager is 1920x1080, 16:9.. physical screen real estate is about equal but the alienware has 15% more pixels.

do people actually care more about physical size than resolution? esp for a laptop, the goal should be small highres screen[/QUOTE]

Do explain
im kinda noobish when it comes to that and stuff.....
thats why im asking which 1 to get god damm alienware made it harder to choose when they made m17x same price as np 9850
sigh

well, screen sizes are skewed by aspect ratio, because screen sizes are always given as corner-to-corner diameter -- to simplify, think of a square and a rectangle. if they're both 20" in diameter, which one has more area? the square of course. the wider the rectangle is, the less area it'll have for the same diameter. the sager is slightly wider than the alienware, so the difference in screen size is not quite as large as it may sound.

the other component is resolution, which is a count of the pixels (dots that make up the image). 1920x1200 means there are 1,920 dots horizontally, 1,200 vertically. the other has the same amount of horizontal pixels, but 1080 vertical. 1080 is 90% of 1200, so the sager only has 90% of the height of the alienware. for general use (web browsing, etc) this means 10% less information would be displayed (which means a little more scrolling up and down web pages), and in games and other full screen activities it means a little less detail.

personally, i'd much prefer the higher-resolution 16:10 alienware screen, even though it's an inch less in diameter.

edit: here's a comparison of the aspect ratios, hopefully this site allows hotlinking
resolution.jpg

[quote name='Koggit']well, screen sizes are skewed by aspect ratio, because screen sizes are always given as corner-to-corner diameter -- to simplify, think of a square and a rectangle. if they're both 20" in diameter, which one has more area? the square of course. the wider the rectangle is, the less area it'll have for the same diameter. the sager is slightly wider than the alienware, so the difference in screen size is not quite as large as it may sound.

the other component is resolution, which is a count of the pixels (dots that make up the image). 1920x1200 means there are 1,920 dots horizontally, 1,200 vertically. the other has the same amount of horizontal pixels, but 1080 vertical. 1080 is 90% of 1200, so the sager only has 90% of the height of the alienware. for general use (web browsing, etc) this means 10% less information would be displayed (which means a little more scrolling up and down web pages), and in games and other full screen activities it means a little less detail.

personally, i'd much prefer the higher-resolution 16:10 alienware screen, even though it's an inch less in diameter.

edit: here's a comparison of the aspect ratios, hopefully this site allows hotlinking
resolution.jpg
[/QUOTE]

ok ic soo why do they make inch biger screens that kinda stupid

its not much of a different is it?

another thing i heard this things heat like a BtCh dont they ?
and i read that the sager uses the same way to cool the gpu as of 1 of the
alien ware laptops or something
will the AW heat allot worst than the SAger

[quote name='refusedchaos']i was going to choose Sager but then i found out that its chipset doesn't fully support 8gb (only up to 6.8gb) ram. So if you plan to upgrade you ram later, go m17x. I was fipfloping for awhile but then just choose to go back to the m17x[/QUOTE]
4gb of RAM is sufficient enough for any games now and in the future. The 6.8gb RAM limitation is not a big deal.

The big deal is being able to upgrade components in the future (besides RAM). Think about that with your M17x a year or two from now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back