Xbox Live DOTW: R-Type Dimensions for 800 Spacebucks

Thrinn

CAGiversary!
This has two games: R-Type and R-type II redone with new graphics for 800. A great game IMHO.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this deal is good only for Gold members. Here's a link (thanks Sway).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the price the game should have been at Release...
So, being a CAG, I must still think if it's now worth my points.

With such great XBLA games getting released over the next couple of weeks this needed to be half price rather 5 off.

I haven't been tracking all releases but it looks like 5 off is the max discount DOTWs have been getting.

Great game. Should have been this price at release. The ability to switch from the old mode to the new on the fly is interesting.

In for one (just one?) once I get home. Always though the game was worth 800 and never the 1200 it originally released for. Now I can try it.

You gotta be kidding me, release the game overpriced and when it sells like crap put it on sale for a week for the price it should have been. This is probably the biggest POS on the marketplace at $15

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']meh, i only have 400 spacebucks left. so until i buy more points, no arcade games for me[/QUOTE]
What a strange reply.

This seems like one of those games that was inflated to begin with. At $10, it's a no. I was never very impressed with the series to begin with though.

I wasn't crazy about the 2.5D mode, but you can toggle back and forth between it and the original 2D. I'll pick it up, but I only pay in Moon Dollars.

Why are you n00bz0rz complaining that it's 10? It's a badass remake of one of the most badass shooter series. For only 10 it's a deal. SUPPORT THE SHOOTERS

[quote name='SimaYi']You gotta be kidding me, release the game overpriced and when it sells like crap put it on sale for a week for the price it should have been. This is probably the biggest POS on the marketplace at $15[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']This game is awesome and worth 1200 points. At 800 points it's a steal.[/QUOTE]

:?:

[quote name='the_punisher']:?:[/QUOTE] Basically if you like shmups, this game is worth it. If you play for score or to beat the game without continuing, you'll find a ton of gameplay here. Otherwise, if you just set to the continues to unlimited, you'll find a rather unrewarding experience and a short game (and you'd be sort of missing the whole point of playing shmups if the first place).

bahh, it's tempting, but I also just remembered that I have "R-Types" for PS1 which is basically the same thing minus the new graphics. Hmm, I dunno! I should probably save my nostalgia purchases for the full-on remakes (Space Invaders Extreme, Bionic Commando Rearmed) rather than enhanced versions of games I already have. I guess I'll be presented with a moral dilemma when TMNT comes out.

[quote name='Diebythesword']Why are you n00bz0rz complaining that it's 10? It's a badass remake of one of the most badass shooter series. For only 10 it's a deal. SUPPORT THE SHOOTERS[/QUOTE]

Yeah we do. We support the ones that aren't just sorry graphical upgrades and actually do something more.

[quote name='BustaUppa']bahh, it's tempting, but I also just remembered that I have "R-Types" for PS1 which is basically the same thing minus the new graphics. Hmm, I dunno! I should probably save my nostalgia purchases for the full-on remakes (Space Invaders Extreme, Bionic Commando Rearmed) rather than enhanced versions of games I already have. I guess I'll be presented with a moral dilemma when TMNT comes out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got R-Types on my PSP thru PSN. That, and I've already played R-Type 1 and 2 to death on my GBC. Not to mention I own Delta and Final too. Shit, and Tactics.

Honestly, they should have done something *gasp* different like rerelease R-Type 1,2,3 and Leo in one package or upgrade 3 and Leo. People have played the first two games to death. Leave them alone and move on.

I'll never buy this.

Shut up already.

For your info I own Galaga Legions, Raiden Fighters Aces, Ikaruga, and I preordered Raiden IV. Oh I support shmups alright. Just ones that matter.

HNNNNNGH. I just bought this a week or two ago for 1200 buckazoids!

[quote name='ctrek3']i have R-Type final for the ps2, is there any reason i should also get this?[/QUOTE]

Only that R-Type Final is a giant stinky, slow-as-hell turd compared to R-Type 1 and 2, which is what this one contains.

Thought about it. Would have bit for $5, as I really liked the demo (at least in terms of the new graphics and being able to switch back and forth) but I'm remembering all of those frustrating moments trying to beat the damn thing on TG-16. I just think $10 bucks is too much for me - especially after getting Ikaruga for $5 a few scant weeks ago. I actually can't believe I payed the full $15 for Marvel VS Capcom 2.. I'll pass for now I think.

It isn't that frustrating with the infinite mode. Now you can challenge yourself to beat it in as few lives as possible... a much better scoring metric in my opinion.

[quote name='FurryCurry']
Yeah I got R-Types on my PSP thru PSN. That, and I've already played R-Type 1 and 2 to death on my GBC. Not to mention I own Delta and Final too. Shit, and Tactics.

I'll never buy this.[/QUOTE]

Is it fun being a hypocrite? You paid $6 for the PSOne version. This version is now $4 more and has graphical improvements, but apparently it's an insult to humanity that it exists and costs so much. That's bad logic.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Yeah we do. We support the ones that aren't just sorry graphical upgrades and actually do something more.

Honestly, they should have done something *gasp* different like rerelease R-Type 1,2,3 and Leo in one package or upgrade 3 and Leo. People have played the first two games to death. Leave them alone and move on.

I'll never buy this.[/QUOTE]

this one contains both 1&2 with HD graphics..........

[quote name='eastx']Is it fun being a hypocrite? You paid $6 for the PSOne version. This version is now $4 more and has graphical improvements, but apparently it's an insult to humanity that it exists and costs so much. That's bad logic.[/QUOTE]

R-Types has extras that make it worth it. It's certainly the start to the series encyclopedia of info that Final included.

[quote name='Jonsoncao']this one contains both 1&2 with HD graphics..........[/QUOTE]

but that's it. I'm not that hard up on 3D graphics. I'd rather have what I just said.

But this does have co-op. I will give it that.

[quote name='Jonsoncao']this one contains both 1&2 with HD graphics..........[/QUOTE]
[quote name='FurryCurry']but that's it.

But this does have co-op. I will give it that.[/QUOTE] And online co-op at that.

The other huge feature is online leaderboards, which may not seem like much, but it constantly raises the bar on how well you have to play and thus gives the game a lot of replayablity.

Meh, I don't understand the arguing on this thread. For some people like Furry, this might be a redundant title. But I mean...this is R-Type. Just how many people are in a similar situation? This isn't exactly a mammoth series after all.

Anyhow, I bought it and I'm loving it so far. 2 games, in retro mode and HD, with leaderboards and online co-op, and that Einhander camera angle...seems like a solid deal to me. And one thing that really makes me love it is the stat tracking! I absolutely love a game that'll show me all the stats like this one does.

The games are (kinda obviously) pretty short, which is my only knock against it. But I did catch myself looking at the 'time played' stat last night and it saying something like 3+ hours, when I thought I had only been playing for ~1...so that's a pretty big testament to a solid, fun game if you lose track of time while playing.

Yes, this is a silly argument. Value is in the eye of the beholder as always.

Any way you slice it though I don't think that $10 is an egregrious enough asking price to get all hot and bothered about. Game seems worth it to me unless you don't like shmups enough or have R-Type 1 & 2 available already and are satisfied with that. Leaderboards + cleaner graphics may be even worth a double dip for some in the last category (they are to me)

Also - the whole "SUPPORT GAME GENRE X" argument is always lost on me. It's like people yelling at me to like something more than I do. I get that you are trying to ensure more games of the same type but I highly doubt that these grass-roots forum campaigns of ALL CAPS are helping at all.

I'd bite if it was $5. $15 is insane, $10 is just a little to much for me, as I'm not the biggest shump fan.

[quote name='mikejenks']I'd bite if it was $5. $15 is insane, $10 is just a little to much for me, as I'm not the biggest shump fan.[/QUOTE]

$5 bucks is my magic pricepoint. I know it seems cheap (guess that's why I'm here) but I seriously wonder what sales figures would look like once they dropped it to a trivial amount. It's a gamble for them, but heck.. why not take a gamble on a week only sale? I pretty much jumped on any full game (not so keen on DLC deals) for 5 dollars on XBLA, and I bet I'm not the only one.

I have R-Types so no way I was purchasing this for $15. At $10, I'm considering it. But why? I wish they had not put this on sale, I was saving my points for Turtles and Shadow Complex now I know I will end up buying this and playing it for a short amount of time and then regretting it. I wonder if it will ever go to $5. God I miss the days when $15 was a rare price for an XBLA game, now they are all costing at least $10 and most of the good ones $15-$20. They reeled us in, hooked us and are now laughing at us cause it worked.

bread's done
Back