- - - - -

Best way to ship a game?

#31 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

Maybe it's just your mailman/mail handlers at your local post office(s) then, since 90-95% of the games I've received in trades have arrived in perfect condition, including a few that were in jewel cases.

Whenever I send out a heavy package though I get worried about it making it to its destination in one piece though, due to a prior experience where a large package of guides got SOAKED en route to the destination. It's like the damned package was left out in the rain for an hour and allowed to dry along the rest of the route.

But that was my fault for not sending it priority(sent it Parcel Post and that's worse than Media sometimes)and not having a proper sized box to fit them all in. So I tried cutting down one I had and taping down the huge 'flaps' that were made by cutting it down.

Anymore if I don't have the right type of package to fit stuff I'm shipping, I pad the hell out of the empty spaces in the box so I don't make the same mistake twice.

I also 'mummify' the packages with tape. Any opening is taped over.

#32 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

For most things I will just ship with recycled bubble mailers I have saved from many other trades and my ebay purchases. When it gets to boxes though I just make sure I pad it well and ship it priority. For the maybe $1.00 you save shipping it parcel it is just not worth it.

I seriously had to wait almost 3 weeks to get something from California thanks to the jerks in the USPS that kept sending my one package back and forth between Warrendale, PA and Des Moines, IA.

#33 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:00 AM

For most things I will just ship with recycled bubble mailers I have saved from many other trades and my ebay purchases. When it gets to boxes though I just make sure I pad it well and ship it priority. For the maybe $1.00 you save shipping it parcel it is just not worth it.

I seriously had to wait almost 3 weeks to get something from California thanks to the jerks in the USPS that kept sending my one package back and forth between Warrendale, PA and Des Moines, IA.

Even first class doesn't guarantee shipping won't take over a week at times. I don't remember if it was our deal back in April or another deal I made with someone else, but the one package I sent first class got bounced around the Boston, MA post office for like TWO fuckin' weeks.

I could've hand delivered it quicker than the frickin' post office got it there.:roll:

And don't even get me started on my LBP GOTY that came from Gamestop out in CA, went to HAWAII and then took over a week to get here(PA) after getting back to the mainland U.S. .

Then we wonder why the post office keeps needing rate increases. It's due in part to inefficient routes and lots of wasted gas that they're hemmorhaging money.

#34 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:19 AM

0 does not fit things well with slipcovers

hmm guess i've been lucky ... but for the occasional nonfitting issue, I pick up a handful of larger bubble mailers at Walgreens when they are 3/$1 (all sizes)
In fact Walgreens has them on sale for $.39 each till Saturday.

#35 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Even first class doesn't guarantee shipping won't take over a week at times. I don't remember if it was our deal back in April or another deal I made with someone else, but the one package I sent first class got bounced around the Boston, MA post office for like TWO fuckin' weeks.

I could've hand delivered it quicker than the frickin' post office got it there.:roll:

And don't even get me started on my LBP GOTY that came from Gamestop out in CA, went to HAWAII and then took over a week to get here(PA) after getting back to the mainland U.S. .

Then we wonder why the post office keeps needing rate increases. It's due in part to inefficient routes and lots of wasted gas that they're hemmorhaging money.

I've never had too much trouble with first class but I don't think it was our trade that got sent back and forth. They do have horrible routes at times though.

#36 scarhawk   Really CHEAP! CAGiversary!   2322 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

I'll just buy some poly bubble mailers off ebay and just put not more than 9 oz. to be safe and that's it.

#37 elessar123  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Don't know if this is legit... anyone tried?

http://www.amazon.co...80501852&sr=8-9

#38 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

Don't know if this is legit... anyone tried?

http://www.amazon.co...80501852&sr=8-9

Unless you're mailing out ALOT of CD case games, those boxes look like they'd be pretty useless. But for $.29 a box(including the $6 shipping cost and rounding up to $7 total)you can't go wrong if you need to ship out some PS1 games.

#39 nddave   CAG4LIFE CAGiversary!   1082 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

I am ideologically opposed to bubble mailers. Get some mailman who wants to do The People's Elbow, and you've got one destroyed game. Especially jewel cases. Anybody who sends jewel cases in bubble mailers is a moron.

+1

I just got my second cracked case PSX game and it was a sealed game this time totally p1ss me off. Im 99% sure it did happen during shipping.

#40 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7062 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

http://www.uline.com...sy-Fold-Mailers

These things are great for mailing out single games. Sucks that you have to buy 100 at a time, but I guess that just means they'll last a while.

#41 elessar123  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

Unless you're mailing out ALOT of CD case games, those boxes look like they'd be pretty useless. But for $.29 a box(including the $6 shipping cost and rounding up to $7 total)you can't go wrong if you need to ship out some PS1 games.

Well, they fit the double packs well too, such as say, FF7. I don't sell a TON of older games, but I am accumulating more and more of them.

#42 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Since eBay has since been updated does anyone know if the bubble envelopes are still the way to go? I would like to know if the $2.58 the buyer is paying for the shipping is going to pay for the package, label, and shipping. I resurrected this thread to find out and maybe help some others who are also wondering the same. (Btw I plan to print my label off eBay and ship with First Class Mail through USPS.)

#43 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21145 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

May want to tack on another $0.50-$1 nowadays compared to take care of all of your costs.

#44 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yeah I know for a fact I will be losing money here. I bought 2 bubble envelopes from a local store and they charged me $1.45 each. That on top of eBay's fee: $1.90, and PayPal's fee: $.85 = $5.84. I haven't even printed out the label yet. I don't see how $4.00 (Max I can charge for shipping.) is going to cover shipping, packages, and the label. Plus I've got to keep an eye out for the fee's.

#45 elessar123  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yeah I know for a fact I will be losing money here. I bought 2 bubble envelopes from a local store and they charged me $1.45 each. That on top of eBay's fee: $1.90, and PayPal's fee: $.85 = $5.84. I haven't even printed out the label yet. I don't see how $4.00 (Max I can charge for shipping.) is going to cover shipping, packages, and the label. Plus I've got to keep an eye out for the fee's.

Bulk bubble mailer comes out to <$0.25 a pop.

#46 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Besides buying in bulk, you can get the two pack bubble mailers at dollar stores (such as Dollar Tree) for $1, and you can even buy them individually at Wal-Mart for $0.59 each (the smaller ones for DVDs / Games).

I should of bought them in bulk a long time ago, but I don't want to be stuck with the extras if my selling slows down. That has yet to happen, though...

#47 trollape74   Lifting and Gaming CAGiversary!   554 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

You can also buy in bulk from sam's club or costco. I paid 5 for a box of 25 scoth bubble mailers at sam's. They are a little snug though and probably wouldn't fit cases with slipcovers.

#48 Lemstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   972 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

If you really want to cut down on weight and/or costs, 2-3 layers of bubble wrap and packing tape does the trick.

#49 Hemi   One with the never-ending backlog. CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

F that, to get the cheapest shipping possible tie that sucker to a carrier pigeon and send that baby on it's way, besides the cost of the string, the extensive training of a carrier pigeon, and the fact that the pigeon has no clue where it's going or why you tied a game to it's leg, your good to go!

#50 Johnnybeachboy   Need a CHEAP PS VITA CAGiversary!   1504 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Johnnybeachboy

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

I re-use bubble mailer that I get from Amazon, ebay, here, etc.

If there are holes from removing the label I tape them or I put another label over it.

I would use a dog to deliver games, might take awhile but all you need is a little scent from the buyer and they're off!

OR DOLPHINS!, they're smart.......right?????

#51 Seraphinianus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   379 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Seraphinianus

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I buy so much crap online that I always have a steady supply of bubble mailers. It might look ugly, but I always make sure the games are secure.

also, people who ship games under 13 oz via media mail need to die in a fire. there's cheap, then there's saving a couple cents at the risk of it getting damaged (seems more common in MM shipping) or heavily delayed or lost altogether.

#52 trollape74   Lifting and Gaming CAGiversary!   554 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

I would use a dog to deliver games, might take awhile but all you need is a little scent from the buyer and they're off!

We sometimes use my dog to ship things from room to room in my house, took a lot of training and the lives of many stuffed toys.

#53 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   20078 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I buy so much crap online that I always have a steady supply of bubble mailers. It might look ugly, but I always make sure the games are secure.

also, people who ship games under 13 oz via media mail need to die in a fire. there's cheap, then there's saving a couple cents at the risk of it getting damaged (seems more common in MM shipping) or heavily delayed or lost altogether.

In most case they actually cost more using media mail instead of 1st class if it is something like a single game.

#54 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8881 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Everyone who ships games media mail needs to die in a fire as games don't qualify for media mail.

#55 Síocháin Zum Subete   Banned Banned   1929 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Síocháin Zum Subete

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for all of the feedback, I'll see the next time I can get to our nearest Wal-Mart if I can't find some of those bubble mailers. I don't plan on being a major or continuous seller on eBay at all, just to sell the PS3 games I get bored of.

#56 Seraphinianus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   379 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Seraphinianus

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

Everyone who ships games media mail needs to die in a fire as games don't qualify for media mail.

I'm gonna call the police and have them all arrested! Rid the world of those damn media mail shippers.

#57 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8881 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

I'm gonna call the police and have them all arrested! Rid the world of those damn media mail shippers.

Okay.