Toys R Us Accepting Used Games.... Again - Link to tivs in OP

austenwithane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9167[/IMG-R]Toys R Us has announced its nationwide roll-out of its new video game trade-in program. CAGs prim4444 & cheeky tell us that Toys R Us has partnered with Gamers Factory on this new endeavor.

UPDATES: You can find trade-in values here. They also are accepting trade-ins via mail.

[IMG-R=5198]9173[/IMG-R]CAG Mitch079 provides this picture of used games for sale at his local Toys R us in Atlanta, which contradicts what TRU told Joystiq; that they will not be selling used games to the public, but instead will sell them to a third party.

Here are the important details on the trade-in program:

• Games must be in their original cases with artwork
  • Games can be scratched, but not cracked and customers may only trade-in 3 of the same title
  • Maximum $1000 trade-in per day
  • Games should be brought to the Toys“R”Us Guest Services desk
  • Customers receive an activated gift card equal valid at Toys“R”Us, Babies“R”Us or online at Toysrus.com
  • Games from classic systems are accepted, values range from $0.20 to $0.75

Earlier this year, when Toys R Us first started testing their trade-in program, Shipwreck took a look at the landscape of the trade-in/used video game business.
Original post here:
phear3d posted a blog back in March that his local Toys R Us in NY was accepting trades and that it was a limited trial - And that was all I had heard about that.

Fastforward almost 6 months and I see a sign reading that my local TRU is now accepting USed Games as well. (Langhorne PA)

Has anyone else seen this launh/relaunch in their area?

If I have time tonight I'm going to head up and get a few random trade in values for each system and will post them here to see how it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, it seems almost all of the TRUs I've been to have started taking in trade ins. (The only TRU I did not see take trade ins was the Times Square store, although I probably didn't look hard enough.)

The TRU in Orlando, FL is also doing this. They had a single piece of paper taped in front of the game section saying to ask someone about it.

I talked a little bit to the manager about the program - He showed me a book of some older games as well, I saw they'd take Dreamcast, SNES games, and others, I imagine. The manager mentioned that boxes/manuals were optional on the older games, and he couldn't give me any trade-ins for the newer games until they scanned it into the system, so I'd have to bring some in to see the TiV.

He mentioned you'd get store credit for them, didn't say anything about getting cash, so that's pretty expected.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Yup, it seems almost all of the TRUs I've been to have started taking in trade ins. (The only TRU I did not see take trade ins was the Times Square store, although I probably didn't look hard enough.)[/QUOTE]

I was there on Sunday and a sign was posted saying they were taking trade-ins. It was a small sign in the Wii section.
I'm more curious on what prices they sell for- especially when they sometimes tack on $2-5 for new games.

Anybody got any more word on this, or is there a different thread discussing good trade values for TRU? Small-town Texas now accepts trade-ins as well, so I figure this has GOT to be Nationwide. If I missed the "official" thread I apologize. Did a search and missed it somehow?

Yes and for anyone who hasn't or isn't going to the TRU clearance thread, here's the site that TRU uses for their trade ins. You can find the TIVs here. gamersfactory.com

Gamestop trade in values aren't even that bad when you combine it with their better promotions. But yeah, hopefully TRU doesn't try to stick anything up our asses and gives us some decent values.

I haven't heard of that before. This is my first time. Do they give you some pretty good deals? Which gives better deals Gamestop or Toys R Us?

Has anyone does this and knows some of the rules? For example, are there limits to the quantity of the same title (i.e. 2 of the same title), do they have to be complete (manual & coverart in original case)?

I've got some games I could flip, get the gift card and head over to BRU for a new car seat. That'd be a good way for me to cash out a little.

I did some checking of my own, they said that complete copies only, must be in working order, and a maximum of 3 copies of the same title per system.

I sold them 2 copies of Soul Calibur (sp?) 4 for PS3 ($10 each) and one PS3 FEAR ($7.00). Declined on Jericho (PS3) for $2.80.

Quick and painless. I had picked up these games from BB's $10 sale and Target clearance for trades, but no one bit. I was glad to unload them for what I paid.

Hawaii TRU had big signs at the front door about accepting used games. Too bad most of their stuff is overpriced here. (Xbox Live 12 mo card = $56.99)

[quote name='converse']Has anyone does this and knows some of the rules? For example, are there limits to the quantity of the same title (i.e. 2 of the same title), do they have to be complete (manual & coverart in original case)?

I've got some games I could flip, get the gift card and head over to BRU for a new car seat. That'd be a good way for me to cash out a little.[/QUOTE]

Limited to 3 per title.
Games could be scratched, not cracked.
Must include original case and manual.
Maximum $1000 trade-in per day

They tried this in 1996 w/ 100 Geoffrey dollars for any 10 snes or genesis games so my friend and I got our moms to drive us around to all the funcolands buying the $1 madden '92s, super scope 6, etc and each made hu 500-700 in Geoffrey dollars.

Those were the days

strangely, gamersfactory will pay $4.55 for Wii Play (software only) but only $4.10 for Wii Play + Wii Remote. :)

It seems they pay:

50 cents per game for
Atari 2600
Nintendo 64
N.E.S.
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Super Nintendo

and 25 cents a game for:
Dreamcast
Gameboy Color
Gameboy
Playstation 1

I know that TRU will give you store credit that can be used in TRU, Babies R US, and TRU.com.

But is cash also an option?

Going with no on the cash, though don't quote me on that.

Unless you're a game collector, what kid is going to have original packaging for old NES, SNES or older games?

[quote name='Glennsta']haha how funny! thats how i got my N64![/QUOTE]

Hell YEA ! They were giving $100 geoffrey dollars for any 10 16bit games minus packins like sonic and mario.

My friend and I had our moms drive us around to all the funcolands on the north side of chicago and we bought all the $1-2 games like maddens and super scope 6.

I got $700 and he got $500, which I was 14 at the time. I got a free psx, tons of n64 games and an arsenal of nerf weapons.

Those were the days

[quote name='Baku']I know that TRU will give you store credit that can be used in TRU, Babies R US, and TRU.com.

But is cash also an option?
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sadunk']Going with no on the cash, though don't quote me on that.

[/QUOTE]

Correct, cash is not an option.

Can confirm the prices at my TRU matched the link, http://www.gamersfactory.com/. I just traded in about 5 games to check out the process and the prices were right on. Process was pretty painless and convenient. Normally I go through amazon but some of the latest stories, and no bonuses, figured I would give them a shot. Worked out pretty well given the latest deals with upcoming gift cards with new releases.

So what's up with this Games Factory? What do they do with the games? I'd be a shame if thousands of gamers flock to TRU to essentially take their games out of circulation.

[quote name='vwbeetlvr']It seems they pay:

50 cents per game for
Atari 2600
Nintendo 64
N.E.S.
Sega Genesis
Sega Saturn
Super Nintendo

and 25 cents a game for:
Dreamcast
Gameboy Color
Gameboy
Playstation 1[/QUOTE]

Lmao, good luck with that guys.

[quote name='Bubbakja']Hell YEA ! They were giving $100 geoffrey dollars for any 10 16bit games minus packins like sonic and mario.

My friend and I had our moms drive us around to all the funcolands on the north side of chicago and we bought all the $1-2 games like maddens and super scope 6.

I got $700 and he got $500, which I was 14 at the time. I got a free psx, tons of n64 games and an arsenal of nerf weapons.

Those were the days[/QUOTE]
Man, what a great story. I would've freaked out if someone had given me five hundred dollars and an entire Toys R Us to go nuts in as a kid.
I hope these TIV's are good.
EDIT: fuck! Their website is down.

They had to go nationwide on this as soon as possible. Wal-Mart has targeted them specifically as their next conquest this holiday season.

If this goes well, with the trade-ins and gift cards TRU seems to be giving away like water with every pre-order, us CAGs should have every new release or console we want without paying MSRP by Christmas!

Gah, Gamers Factory site is down.

Now would be a good time to stockpile trade-in credit for the inevitable B2G1 in...November, I think? Isn't that when it happened last year?

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Lmao, good luck with that guys.[/QUOTE]

Those are actually pretty standard rates outside of ebay and craigslist. No 3rd party (2nd party?) "flipper" buys that stuff for more than a couple of quarters.

[quote name='Vegan']Those are actually pretty standard rates outside of ebay and craigslist. No 3rd party (2nd party?) "flipper" buys that stuff for more than a couple of quarters.[/QUOTE]

Even if that were true, how are they going to get anyone to trade stuff for such pathetic amounts? When I go to yard sales or look on craigslist, people think their NES and Atari games are hot shit and price them ridiculously high. Hardly anyone is going to be willing to turn stuff in for those rates.

Even though Joystiq says they won't be selling the used games, I saw 2 bins at different stores in the past week with used games for sale. LBP was $40 which stood out as a good deal.

[quote name='mitch079']Even though Joystiq says they won't be selling the used games, I saw 2 bins at different stores in the past week with used games for sale. LBP was $40 which stood out as a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Needs more photos ;)
Can you hook us up?

gamersfactory.com prices were usually a dollar or two more than amazon's TIVs if anyone is curious.

I checked this morning.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']gamersfactory, never heard of it, is it legit, the prices are almost as good as selling on ebay in some cases[/QUOTE]

Think about it for a second.... why would Toys R Us be working with some random company that might not be legit?

bread's done
Back