Backwards Compatibility is Dead, Long Live Re-Releases

tinman_licks

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Personally I don't support re-releasing games. I think it's a ripoff and big f.u. to people who already own the PS2 versions but if they're affordablely priced then whatever, it's up to the consumers to rebuy repackagaed games like the sheep they are.

Linky

Seriously, i cant believe the gun sony uses to make you re-purchase games. Last time it was a ak-47, probably a rocket launcher next. These guys are such jerks.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Seriously, i cant believe the gun sony uses to make you re-purchase games. Last time it was a ak-47, probably a rocket launcher next. These guys are such jerks.[/QUOTE]

i heard the threatened to rape and or muder this guy because he didnt want to pick up the god of war rerelease thats coming out. he kept screaming how hed already bought them games when they first came out but you know sony they wont take no for an answer. mother fuckers pay a heavy price to say no to sony.......

as far as your poll choices go im buying it not for trophy support but to have them both on one disk and running at 60 fps. i play both games every so often because theyre that good so to have them looking a bit better and running better on one conveinient disk is cool. and if ico and sotc get the same treatment ill buy them too.

Just buy any of the 1000's of used PS2's available in any city for $30-40 and then buy any game you can think of on it for $10 or less, problem solved. Seriously, who gives a shit about backwards compatibility?

[quote name='blitz6speed']Seriously, i cant believe the gun sony uses to make you re-purchase games. Last time it was a ak-47, probably a rocket launcher next. These guys are such jerks.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I went out the other day, bought a bunch of Xbox games, and now I find my new PS3 slim can't read them. No support for last-gen games - WTG $ony1111

I really like the idea. I'm excited about playing through GoW 1 and 2 (never got to when I had a PS2 that worked), and if they released FFX with shiny new graphics and trophy support, you had better believe that I'd be first in line.

It's great for people who have never played the games. Otherwise it's a waste of money for something as frivolous as trophies.

Both games are must-play though.

I already played both of the original PS2 versions and I'll wait till this is $5 on clearance someplace, since I'm not paying more than that for a fuckin' repackage.

Well, as someone who never owned a PS1, or PS2 before, this is great news. I'll be happy to buy Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. if they're re-released.

20 bucks is my limit on a repackaged old game. If they fix framerates or upgrade them to HD and then add trophies then 20 bucks is a fair price per game.

[quote name='Paco']20 bucks is my limit on a repackaged old game. If they fix framerates or upgrade them to HD and then add trophies then 20 bucks is a fair price per game.[/QUOTE]

This sound about right for me too. However, I would have purchased the GoW re-release if it was at the sweeter $29.99. $40 is just like what TEH FCUK.

[quote name='mis0']This sound about right for me too. However, I would have purchased the GoW re-release if it was at the sweeter $29.99. $40 is just like what TEH FCUK.[/QUOTE]

It's two games for $40 with HD graphics and trophy support. $20 is your limit. It's $20 for each game.

You know, by not selling your old copies and not buying the new ones we can prevent this from happening. As a collector, many of these re-releases are useless to me, as well as the Wii's VC, PSN's PS1 section, and so on. I own and beat these games ages ago. So in order to combat this I'll only buy them if there's a really good reason like a major change/addition, and when I can get them for $20 or less used.

Trophies are a maybe. HD support, that isn't needed. I'll need to decide on the GoW collection.

This is good news to me, I've never played the first 2 God of War games.

Once again Sony has made my life better :applause:

Won't vote on stupid poll. I have a 60GB PS3 and both PS2 versions and I'm still buying the PS3 ports, but NOT for trophies.

I would not mind re-buying some games if they have HD support, True widescreen, Trophy support, and at least 2-3 games on one disc for 40 dollars or less.

I never played 2, nor did I finish the first game either so trophy support + better resolution (better textures?) + 60 fps = win. I'll wait until I can find this for about $20-25 but will definitely get it.

you know whats funny about this shit. they put the software and chip in the original ps3s and apparently you guys didnt want a ps3 back then. now all of the sudden you want a ps3 with all the features of a launch console for 1/2 the price? tough luck kiddos, lesson learned.

If you already have them, then don't buy them. If you don't currently have them and are now interested, congratulations you get updated versions for the same price as their greatest hits counterparts that will work in your PS3 with no worries about any BC issues.

I love the New Play Control concept on the Wii and really hope they continue the line with Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda Wind Waker, etc. Imagine getting a Final Fantasy Compilation for PS3 that has X, X-2, and XII for a decent price. In fact you probably don't even have to imagine it since I'm sure SE will be all over this shit soon enough. :bouncy:

I think Ico/SOTC pack would be the only ones I would buy for PS3 I own a couple copies of each for PS2 and they are the only games last Gen that I have played through 20 times.

[quote name='RandyTsai']its all about making money. if people of dumb enough, why not rip them off.[/QUOTE]

What was the purpose of saying that? Just because they are releasing old games with updated features, the people who buy them are dumb? Your LIVE profile shows you have several XBLA games that are old re-released games, does this mean your statement doesn't apply to yourself?

If they can bring in Kingdom Hearts /FFX X-2 XII International version on Blu Ray those would be day 1 purchase.

[quote name='Ryukahn']What was the purpose of saying that? Just because they are releasing old games with updated features, the people who buy them are dumb? Your LIVE profile shows you have several XBLA games that are old re-released games, does this mean your statement doesn't apply to yourself?[/QUOTE]

Nah, its only stupid if its from sony, when Xbox does it, its hip and in the now. Man you guys just don't get it, do you. You just don't.

I think it's a good move on Sony's part to do this for God of War, and possibly future games. Even though God of War 1 & 2 sold a lot of copies there are probably still a lot of people out there with PS3s that haven't played the games, and this is better for them than having to go out and get a PS2, because now they can play the games with better visuals and trophy support, on a system they already own. And if you own/played the games already, as I have, then you already got what you paid for.

[quote name='RandyTsai']its all about making money. if people of dumb enough, why not rip them off.[/QUOTE]
How is it a rip off, Nintendo charges 30 bucks for porting a game on to the wii from the gamecube that you can find for 10 bucks so that is a rip off. But if you buy God of War 1&2 separately brand new for the ps2 it costs 40 bucks, that's the same price but you get bonus stuff.

When did we start talking about Madden?

I keeed!

[quote name='jrsmaster411']How is it a rip off, Nintendo charges 30 bucks for porting a game on to the wii from the gamecube that you can find for 10 bucks so that is a rip off. But if you buy God of War 1&2 separately brand new for the ps2 it costs 40 bucks, that's the same price but you get bonus stuff.[/QUOTE]

But if you already have the games and don't care one whit for trophies or already saw the extra crap from God Of War II, then what real value does a re-release like this have for you? Sony should allow those who own the real physical copies of these games to download a small BC patch to allow them to play their already bought copies rather than paying a second time to play them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But if you already have the games and don't care one whit for trophies or already saw the extra crap from God Of War II, then what real value does a re-release like this have for you? Sony should allow those who own the real physical copies of these games to download a small BC patch to allow them to play their already bought copies rather than paying a second time to play them.[/QUOTE]
I can't tell if your serious or not. Your saying Sony should release backward compatibility for these 2 games only to people who own the first 2. I hope I don't have to explain why that's insane. Your right, this has no value to you if you own the original 2 and aren't a hardcore enough gow fan to care about the bonus stuff. So don't buy it but that doesn't mean it's a slap in your face and Sony is the scum of the world ripping everybody off. Did you ever think that not every game is made for you?

No. I'm saying that Sony should put out BC patches for these two games, so those people who already own them but don't have a PS2 anymore or a BC PS3 don't have to pay for the BR disc version(or buy a fuckin' PS2 again) just to play them again.

This is a good deal for those who haven't played the games and actually care about trophies, but I'd much rather if Sony pulled a MS and allowed people to dl a BC patch to allow the original disc versions to play on ALL PS3's.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No. I'm saying that Sony should put out BC patches for these two games, so those people who already own them but don't have a PS2 anymore or a BC PS3 don't have to pay for the BR disc version(or buy a fuckin' PS2 again) just to play them again.

This is a good deal for those who haven't played the games and actually care about trophies, but I'd much rather if Sony pulled a MS and allowed people to dl a BC patch to allow the original disc versions to play on ALL PS3's.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea for the consumer, but not good for Sony. The goal is to get people away from PS2, and onto PS3 and blu ray. Instead of having the patch I rather have the game remastered with some slightly updated 720p visuals. In the end, its all about the finished product and how well it actually looks. If they can get the graphics to look as good as the PC emulators that can upsclase PS2 games and make them look beautiful.. .then I might buy this collection. All depends on the finished product.

Unless I get the $189 LCD monitor that Target has on sale till Jan, I don't even care about HD, so just gimme the PS2 visual quality with a cheaper price and I might even bite. But almost $40 for games I can rebuy much cheaper used now just because they're prettier and able to be played without any hassle on my PS3 is not a good price for me.

But for those who never played them and only have a PS3, this is a steal.

There is absolutely no difference between re-releasing games on disk than re-releasing games on PSN/Virtual Console. I don't know how large GOW 1 and 2 are, but maybe it wasn't technically feasible to release them on PSN. Anyway, that's neither here nor there--this is for 2 different customers:

1) People who missed GOW 1 & 2 (new to PlayStation, released late, etc.)
2) Super GOW fans

There is absolutely no financial incentive to add in BC to the PS3 right now, unless they charge for it. But anyway, this way, they can charge even more it if they keep re-releasing games instead of a one-time charge for BC.

Also, it stokes even more interest in GOW 3--what a coincidence they re-release the first two right before the third one...

I'm hoping right before Trico comes out, they'll re-release Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But for those who never played them and only have a PS3, this is a steal.[/QUOTE]

And don't forget those of us who will wait it out until they're $20, it's only going to get better :D

Really depends on what it is and what the price is.

GOWI/II - Probably will buy, not at $40

List of hopefuls:
ICO/SOTC - Will buy, $40
FFX/X-2 - Probably will buy for $40
DMC1-3 - Will buy for $40 if they acknowledge 2 doesn't exist

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unless I get the $189 LCD monitor that Target has on sale till Jan, I don't even care about HD, so just gimme the PS2 visual quality with a cheaper price and I might even bite. But almost $40 for games I can rebuy much cheaper used now just because they're prettier and able to be played without any hassle on my PS3 is not a good price for me.

But for those who never played them and only have a PS3, this is a steal.[/QUOTE]

You are doing it wrong. Sell your ps3, buy PS2 slim, $$$ Profit.

[quote name='BShea'] and if they released FFX with shiny new graphics and trophy support, you had better believe that I'd be first in line.[/QUOTE]
:drool:

[quote name='KingBroly']Really depends on what it is and what the price is.
List of hopefuls:
ICO/SOTC - Will buy, $40
DMC1-3 - Will buy for $40 if they acknowledge 2 doesn't exist[/QUOTE]

I liked DMC 2, but I like easy games, so mmmh. The ICO/SOTC pack I would pay in a heart beat.

I would buy re-releases, especially collections like the GoW1-2 pack if at $40 with the trophy/achievement support and patched graphics (not upgrades, just patched) and online play on applicable games.
If M$ added achievement to the $15 original Xbox games on the marketplace, I would have picked up one or two (Halo 1 and Jade Empire are at the top of my list).

I voted yes, although I might not end up buying any of them (maybe once they're cheap). Who do they hurt? Nobody. Who do they help? Somebody. Some would make great compilations of games that could run better and look better on the PS3 (SotC looks like poo). And they're something to add to your collection if it's a series you love enough.

Poll results are confusing. Yes votes are low even though everybody in the topic said it doesn't really affect them. Does 'meh' on this matter equate to no? I thought it woudl be closer to yes.

[quote name='KingBroly']Really depends on what it is and what the price is.

List of hopefuls:
ICO/SOTC - Will buy, $40
DMC1-3 - Will buy for $40 if they acknowledge 2 doesn't exist[/QUOTE]

glad to see i wasnt alone in hating dmc2. that game was horrible.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Unless I get the $189 LCD monitor that Target has on sale till Jan, I don't even care about HD, so just gimme the PS2 visual quality with a cheaper price and I might even bite. But almost $40 for games I can rebuy much cheaper used now just because they're prettier and able to be played without any hassle on my PS3 is not a good price for me.

But for those who never played them and only have a PS3, this is a steal.[/QUOTE]
This is the same argument you've made for everything you've ever argued about. Strip stuff out because I don't need it and charge me less. Basically the only way you'll ever be happ is if everything in the world came in 2 version, a Regular version and an IAmTheCheapestGamer version. Like I said before, the games still retail for 20 bucks each so you can't find this much cheaper. Like anything else you can probably find it for cheaper than msrp just like this game, people are gonna get it off amazon on launch day for closer to 30 bucks.

[quote name='jrsmaster411']This is the same argument you've made for everything you've ever argued about. Strip stuff out because I don't need it and charge me less. Basically the only way you'll ever be happ is if everything in the world came in 2 version, a Regular version and an IAmTheCheapestGamer version. Like I said before, the games still retail for 20 bucks each so you can't find this much cheaper. Like anything else you can probably find it for cheaper than msrp just like this game, people are gonna get it off amazon on launch day for closer to 30 bucks.[/QUOTE]

How did I know you would have to respond?

Thinking like a normal sheep consumer by buying at MSRP or 'retail' is not very CAG-like behavior. I've already owned these games and while I enjoyed them thoroughly, I would NOT pay MSRP per game for a two game compilation of LAST GEN games that can be played on my current gen system. At most, I would pay $5-10 total for either the compilation or the two seperate PS2 games, mainly because they're old to me and there's nothing NEW being brought to the table.

To me, Sony is just further copying their rivals this gen and now they're pulling a Nintendo by re-releasing games with improved graphics and still charging close to what the old games cost at retail for them. I'm surprised Sony hasn't announced that there's going to be SixAxis control mechanics for the games that're being re-released as of yet.

Again though, if you're willing to pay retail or nearly retail, then what are you doing on CAG in the first place? There will always be a deal on a game or console or whatever as long as you can be patient and wait for it. If you can't wait, then you deserve to be gouged for last gen games on a current gen console.

bread's done
Back