Wolverine & X-men Complete S1 Steelbook $48, worth it?

Kerig

Target won BF'23 w/$350 consoles
Feedback
85 (100%)
The ONLY way to get the complete 26 episode season 1 is to buy it from Canada. To sweeten the deal, they've got it in a 5-disc exclusive limited edition Steelbook package. The only issue here is the price: 41.49C + ~$10 to ship to the U.S. from Amazon.ca. Translated to real money, that comes out to about $47 shipped.

There's a mediocre 3-pack set coming out soon to the U.S., which is a worthless 1/2 season repackage of the currently-available single disc releases.

Aside from the not-the-best-looking Steelbook cover art and the steep price for one season, is this actually worth biting on right now due to its limited and non-U.S. release, or will I regret forking over $50 now only to see it show up as a Best Buy exclusive for $30 come Christmastime?

steelbook - awesome case
foreign steelbook - expensive but usually worth it
foreign steelbook you do not want anymore - priceless

also i have not watched the show but chance are if you want it, then buy it. america gets ripped off when it comes to show that we want in the format we want.

Tempting. I don't really care about the case, I just want the whole season without having to buy the stupid 3 episode packs.

I never watched this show but steelbooks are always cool. 48 is a lot for it but if you absolutely loved the show then I'll suggest to get it. In my opinion X-Men TAS is probably the better show but you probably already know that.... Too bad they don't get steelbooks. :whistle2:(

It's a great series and an almost "re-imagining" of the X-Men universe. There were a couple of weak episodes, but the series as a whole was fantastic.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If only it was $15-20 cheaper.[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm feeling. I'll be buying Clone Wars S1 the week of release (11/03/09) wherever the best deal/special offer is (currently Amazon has it for pre-order at $30.99). That's about the maximum price I think anyone should pay for any season of anything...

...and then I see the X-Men 3 FutureShop exclusive DVD Steelbook sell for over $100...

Speaking of steelbooks, check out this nuckin' futz eBay Steelbook auction. I'm watching it just to see if anyone actually bids on it. Talk about custom-made for the rich & lazy...

[quote name='Kerig']This is what I'm feeling. I'll be buying Clone Wars S1 the week of release (11/03/09) wherever the best deal/special offer is (currently Amazon has it for pre-order at $30.99). That's about the maximum price I think anyone should pay for any season of anything...

...and then I see the X-Men 3 FutureShop exclusive DVD Steelbook sell for over $100...

Speaking of steelbooks, check out this nuckin' futz eBay Steelbook auction. I'm watching it just to see if anyone actually bids on it. Talk about custom-made for the rich & lazy...[/QUOTE]
if i had the bank. and was kind of rich. i'd buy it all.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Can I use a $10 Amazon gift card I got from an amazon.com promo on amazon.ca?[/QUOTE]

Nope, only can use it at .com

[quote name='darkk']Are canadian dvd's playable in the US region?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Region 1 is the U.S., Canada, American territories, and (probably due to geographical proximity) Bermuda.

If you want some first-hand proof, the Clone High DVD was only released in Canada. I ordered it through Amazon, and it played just fine.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']pass[/QUOTE]

If you're passing on a steelbook, there must be something seriously wrong with it...

FYI this is still available on Amazon Canada. I just got it for my birthday and I've watched 1/2 of it so far. Awesome cartoon.

[quote name='Kerig']If you're passing on this steelbook, there must be something seriously wrong with you...[/QUOTE]

fixed

It's a nice collection - I picked it up when it was first released and don't regret spending the money on it. I dont believe the price has changed much at all since i picked it up, and plans to release the full season haven't really changed in the US either. Of course they probably will - but then again they still haven't released the final season of X-Men Evolution either, so... who knows what they'll do or when. For now - this is your best bet.
All we can do to tell them to release things in a proper way is to boycott the multiple episode releases and wait for the full seasons to come out.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']Just saw it is $25.49 CDN now. How much is shipping to the U.S. from .ca?[/QUOTE]

$36.27 shipped to me, it was a little over $10 for shipping.

I want this so bad but im not paying more then 20$ + shipping, so about 25-30 MAX only because im not in a rush to get it seeing as the show was canned.

Wow I didn't know the show got canned. Just joined the Facebook group trying to get it back. As you can see, I just got the DVD set in February.

Maybe if they had put the episodes on XBox sooner or released 1 DVD set instead of 5 different ones in the US they wouldn't have the problems they're having.

[quote name='Kerig']If you're passing on a steelbook, there must be something seriously wrong with it...[/QUOTE]

i don't buy dvd anymore.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wow I didn't know the show got canned. Just joined the Facebook group trying to get it back. As you can see, I just got the DVD set in February.

Maybe if they had put the episodes on XBox sooner or released 1 DVD set instead of 5 different ones in the US they wouldn't have the problems they're having.[/QUOTE]

You want to know the real freaking travesty? That dumbass Marvel program The Super Hero Squad Show is getting another season. :bomb:

Anywho, does anybody know where to get this set for cheaper w/shipping? I'm glad it dropped in price, but since I live in the US Amazon's gonna charge me $10 for shipping AND I can't use my Amazon credit to pay for it. I also don't want to buy those stupid individual DVDs either, and there's no talk anywhere about a Season One DVD set being packaged here in America.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Wow I didn't know the show got canned. Just joined the Facebook group trying to get it back. As you can see, I just got the DVD set in February.

Maybe if they had put the episodes on XBox sooner or released 1 DVD set instead of 5 different ones in the US they wouldn't have the problems they're having.[/QUOTE]
Yeah.. ever since disney bought marvel they shit canned 2 of the best marvel cartoons ever created, this and spectacular spider-man only to turn around and create this lame super kid friendly ultimate spiderman show thats coming out later this year or early next

why cancel spectacular spider-man? that show was brilliant and this xmen show was just getting started.. disney can go eff themselves

[quote name='styl3s']Yeah.. ever since disney bought marvel they shit canned 2 of the best marvel cartoons ever created, this and spectacular spider-man only to turn around and create this lame super kid friendly ultimate spiderman show thats coming out later this year or early next

why cancel spectacular spider-man? that show was brilliant and this xmen show was just getting started.. disney can go eff themselves[/QUOTE]

While I agree with most of what you're saying, what leads you to believe that the new Ultimate Spider-Man show is going to be "lame" and "super kid friendly"?

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']While I agree with most of what you're saying, what leads you to believe that the new Ultimate Spider-Man show is going to be "lame" and "super kid friendly"?[/QUOTE]
Go read the article on it, they are taking the batman brave and the bold approach which is super kid friendly :roll:

They canceled Spectacular Spider-man? Shoot, the last episode ended technically on a cliffhanger too and it was one of my favorite cartoons. I think Wolverine & the X-men also ended on a cliffhanger. Argh. :roll:

Well, maybe eventually we'll get Wolverine beating the crap out of Mickey in some videogame to compensate.

[quote name='styl3s']Go read the article on it, they are taking the batman brave and the bold approach which is super kid friendly :roll:[/QUOTE]

Um, Batman: The Brave and the Bold is freaking awesome. I wouldn't mind if they used that same sense of humor for a new Spider-Man cartoon. I'm still highly disappointed they canceled Spectacular Spider-Man, but a new show done in the style of TBatB would be pretty awesome as well.

[quote name='BMXJouster']You want to know the real freaking travesty? That dumbass Marvel program The Super Hero Squad Show is getting another season. :bomb:

Anywho, does anybody know where to get this set for cheaper w/shipping? I'm glad it dropped in price, but since I live in the US Amazon's gonna charge me $10 for shipping AND I can't use my Amazon credit to pay for it. I also don't want to buy those stupid individual DVDs either, and there's no talk anywhere about a Season One DVD set being packaged here in America.[/QUOTE]

Super Hero Squad isn't that bad, actually. I watch it with my little brothers before they go to school in the mornings and it has a good amount of obscure comic book references and some really great comedic writing. Thor tends to be the funniest out of everyone because he talks about Odin taking him out of his will.

Spectacular Spider-Man was awesome. But if they can make the new Ultimate Spider-Man series similar to the comics, I'll be happy.

[quote name='ssjmichael']As well as yours clearly[/QUOTE]

Yes it is their loss because my cousin got me the steelbook DVD from Amazon Canada for my birthday in February so that's 1 less American sale for them.

There is a movement on Facebook to try to get season 2 of this show restarted, and I'm sure DVD/Blu-Ray sales of the complete season in the US will be used to determine if it would be profitable enough to do or not. I'm sure they didn't like someone like me buying a Canadian DVD instead of the ones released in America.

Oh man, I'd have liked to have had it on Blu as well. Oh well...I got the Canadian one awhile ago and it is great. I wish there was a season 2 coming.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Yes it is their loss because my cousin got me the steelbook DVD from Amazon Canada for my birthday in February so that's 1 less American sale for them.

There is a movement on Facebook to try to get season 2 of this show restarted, and I'm sure DVD/Blu-Ray sales of the complete season in the US will be used to determine if it would be profitable enough to do or not. I'm sure they didn't like someone like me buying a Canadian DVD instead of the ones released in America.[/QUOTE]

Well, you could always sell that steelbook for a decent amount and get the Blu-Ray set. It's not expensive.

Now that the US version is out, it seems that the LE Canadian Steelbook DVD can finally be had for cheap.

I found a reputable seller on eBay who has 9 brand new/sealed copies left (started at 10, but I bought one) for $18 shipped.

Tale of the tape: U.S. Vs. Canada:

Canadian version:
English & French language (no subs)
5-disc Limited Edition Steelbook (billed as the complete first season)
All 26 Episodes
absolutely no special features or commentary

U.S. Version:
English & Spanish language (no subs)
3-disc keep case (now billed as the complete series)
All 26 Episodes
29 commentaries
5-minute making-of featurette
18-minute Inner Circle: Reflections featurette
Available on DVD for $18.99 or Blu-ray for $28.99 @ Amazon

Shiny things are shiny, so naturally I couldn't resist the Steelbook. I personally have no interest in hearing the commentaries, but it's a very generous bonus and a compelling toss-up depending on your preference.

I'm slowing making my way through the series on Blu-Ray and I'm liking it a lot. I still think the 90's series is the best, but this one is very close.

bread's done
Back