NY Videogame Stores

I doubt it those days are over. All these mom and pop stores are afraid of getting caught since competition is tough. Your best bet is to get all friendly with someone who works at one of the major retailers.

There's a place on Steinway in Astoria that does. Two places actually. One is between Broadway and 31st avenue, near Starbucks. The other is near 23rd avenue. I cant recall the names.

Video Game Central on CrossBay BLVD, queens will. They usually charge $5 more than the MSRP on everything though.

EX: I got the SAW II dvd about 2 and a half weeks before release.

[quote name='jza1218']There's a place on Steinway in Astoria that does. Two places actually. One is between Broadway and 31st avenue, near Starbucks. The other is near 23rd avenue. I cant recall the names.[/QUOTE]

where on 31st? i have never seen it but always hear about it?

Naw try in the Bronx. Theres a few spots that put out the games early on 149th and 3rd ave. GameBox and Game Express were both selling Modern Wardare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 a week and half before it dropped. Sometimes they sell it for 5 bucks cheaper too.

[quote name='idkblah00']where on 31st? i have never seen it but always hear about it?[/QUOTE]

It's called Game Champ...it's practically next door to the Gamestop on Steinway btwn broadway and 31st ave.

VideoGameBuddy is the other store on steinway st. and 23rd ave.

[quote name='Chanpuru']Video Games New York (formerly St. Mark's Place)
Neighborhood: East Village
202 E 6th St
(between Cooper Sq & Taras Shevchenko Pl)
New York, NY 10003
(212) 539-1039[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to thank the CAGs for the tip about Video Games New York. Was able to drop by while visiting NYC. Great place packed to the rafters with stuff, from recent to historic, both games and hardware. Prices are steep to say the least (MGS collection $50? Really, it's worth $20 extra to buy it here vs. Amazon?) but for hard-to-get stuff and nostalgia this is a find. The owner seems cool.

Now I feel bad for leaving out the Play 'N Trade location in Union Square
Between 3rd and 4th Avenue
137 East 13th Street, New York, NY 10003
(212) 674-0200

They have a crazy selection.

[quote name='jza1218']There's a place on Steinway in Astoria that does. Two places actually. One is between Broadway and 31st avenue, near Starbucks. The other is near 23rd avenue. I cant recall the names.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Game Champ and Videogame buddy?

Funny, Game Champ was originally shut down because they were selling ames early, and they recently re opened.

[quote name='Chanpuru']Now I feel bad for leaving out the Play 'N Trade location in Union Square
Between 3rd and 4th Avenue
137 East 13th Street, New York, NY 10003
(212) 674-0200

They have a crazy selection.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, did not know that. Once I start going back into work, I might have to check it out, since I'm on 9th avenue. They carry NES games, right?

[quote name='JackRabbitStudios']Do you mean Game Champ and Videogame buddy?

Funny, Game Champ was originally shut down because they were selling ames early, and they recently re opened.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think thats right. I know one the one near 23rd avenue is called Videogame buddy, and Game Champ sounds right.

[quote name='JackRabbitStudios']Do you mean Game Champ and Videogame buddy?

Funny, Game Champ was originally shut down because they were selling ames early, and they recently re opened.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

From my experiences, I like Game Champ. The employees seem pretty cool, their selection is decent and the prices on the used games are quite fair for a retail store. I recently bought Fire Emblem for the Wii for $29+tax. And, if a used game is scratched and you don't like it, they'll buff the disc for free (not bad!).

It's definitely nice to have an alternative to Gamestop in a neighbourhood.

fordham man, of course......hey who remembers corner store? lol
(edit: missed manhattan queens, but fordhams not far, just take the 4)
(edit 2: also really check out fordham/jerome stores uptown, also yonkers has a lotta pre selling)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to interview video game enthusiasts in the ages of 18-25 who play social (facebook) games at least 3 times a week and/or play music games at least once a month.You will playtest an upcoming music video game and we will ask you questions about your gameplay experience. We are scheduling 1 hour playtesting sessions (from 11am-6pm) starting next Monday 4/5 through next Friday 4/9.

Requirements:
*Must be between the ages of 18-25
*Must play social (Facebook) games at least 3X per week and/or music games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc) at least once a month.
*Must be available for a 1 hour interview at our office in Manhattan any day starting next Monday 4/5 through Friday 4/9
*Interest or knowledge of existing music games

You will be compensated with a $50 Visa card for your participation!

Email us your name, age, tel#, and email address at:
playtest[at]sonicboomgames.com

Thank you!

About Sonic Boom:
Founded in 2003, and located in the heart of New York City, Sonic is a leading publisher of mobile social networking, personalization, and game applications. Sonic’s primary focus is creating exciting mobile & online entertainment experiences that place personal expression and creativity directly in our customers’ hands by merging the worlds of music, games, personalization, social networking, and user-generated content.

oh btw, all you guys gota check out videogamesnewyork.com, but not for the site, use that as a base to go to their store on e6th in the village, its the coolest, most extensive retro game store ive ever seen...prices are standard, tho they do deals, but its the shit they got thats amazing (from atari, to neo geo, turbo graphics, dreamcast, master systm, sega cd, dreamcast, etc....) EVERYTHING including imports and all of the limited/speecial edition games

[quote name='chrislisting']oh scuse me, someone already posted that, my bad[/QUOTE]

Nah, stores like Videogamesnewyork are so rare it's worth reposting their existence every so often.

lol cool,yeah i love it, i just go in and hang wit dan sometimes, hes a cool dude (tries to sell "afrika" as tje import thinkin u wont know its just a Natgeo pic show lol), but still cool people, real cool people, and stuff u didnt thinkw as around except ebay or somethin. i just got back from there a coupple hours ago actually, i wonder if anyeons gona buy the 750 ffxiii ps3 (actually probly some upper west sider if they dare lol)

yeh videogamesnewyork is the shit ive gotten some rare dreamcast games there...they have practically everything! definetly worth a visit just for the museum aspect of it!

my pops is around 50, and hes off the boat, but when i took him in yesterday to check out the shop instead of him usually waitin outside while i run in (u know the parkin sit), he was like "wow,i remember the kids had that before you even knew what nintendo was"...., nostalgia for anyone in their 20's 30's, and the people are cool, they know ur not there to always buy , it is like a museum, but i swear, if im ever in a manic spending frenzy, i better stay away from the village. if anyone wants their card, i can scan it, but someone will have to post it cuz i dont konw how to.....any gamer in the tristate area should check itt out, definite tourist attr. for gamers, too....its amazin how the holes in teh wall have all the shit. man, if ur a gamer (Which i didnt consider myself one till i got a ps3 and 12 games within 3 months lol), and ur from NYC, u been missin out...and theyll trade nearly anything...

Hey Guys I know you are looking and talking about game stores in NYC. Here is one in Newark NJ yes it is not in NYC but it is a cool independent that carries everything from Old School Atari 2600 to the latest stuff PS3, 360 and wii. They usually have the Hot Games a bit early and their prices are on Par with the market price actualy they come out a bit cheaper they are only 3.5% sals tax wich can save you about 5% they are 20 min from the city by the path and have everything even the hard to find stuff that the big stores are out of like PS3 systems and Wii's. the name and address of the store is
Cash for games
853 Broad street
Newark, NJ 07102
973-643-0998

come to J&L game store in 28 elizabeth street in chinatown.

i remember buying dissidia (english version) 2 months before it was released in the states
the people there are nice you will get good service there.

bread's done
Back