Interracial couple denied marriage license in Louisiana.

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

NEW ORLEANS – A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She is white and he is black. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.

According to the clerk of court's office, application for a marriage license must be made three days before the ceremony because there is a 72-hour waiting period. The applicants are asked if they have previously been married. If so, they must show how the marriage ended, such as divorce.

Other than that, all they need is a birth certificate and Social Security card.

The license fee is $35, and the license must be signed by a Louisiana minister, justice of the peace or judge. The original is returned to the clerk's office. "I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

You have got to be fucking kidding me. This asshole needs to be removed from his job.

[quote name='mtxbass1']He's not denying them the right to marry. He's saying that he specifically won't do it. Huge difference there.[/QUOTE]

He can be a bigotted jackass all he wants at home. By law he can't deny a marriage license based on the fact the couple is interracial. Loving vs. Virginia guarantees that.

[quote name='mtxbass1']He's not denying them the right to marry. He's saying that he specifically won't do it. Huge difference there.[/QUOTE]

There really isn't. In one scenario he's an ignorant bigot, in the other scenario he's an ignorant bigot. When you're in his position you don't get to decide to ignore the law.

My favorite line:
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"

Yep. Also, the old "I have black friends" standby. Our current President was a child from "such a marriage" and plenty of people from "both groups" have accepted him. This ignorant, hateful, and infinitesimally small man deserves every last inch of the shitstorm that's coming to him.

The "I have black friends" defense comes with a new twist from this dude:

"I have piles and piles of black friends...they use my bathroom."

Boy, what a fuckin' civil rights champion.

"I treat them just like everyone else."

Anyone who feels the need to say that, and anyone who doesn't see the racism dripping in that statement...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']He can be a bigotted jackass all he wants at home. By law he can't deny a marriage license based on the fact the couple is interracial. Loving vs. Virginia guarantees that.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, good point.

I likened this to him effectively being a private business or entity. They seem to have no problem denying anyone service based on whatever reason they see fit. If you go into a private place and they don't offer you service, it's within their rights to do so. In this case it's against whatever "moral" values he has (heh) and he's denying them based on his personal beliefs.

Either way, it's still amazing that this can come up in today's age.

Holy shit, dude, did you not read the article, or do you just not know what you're talking about, or what.

He isn't like, a priest who is being forced to do a wedding ceremony. He's a state-employed public servant who fills out paperwork for people getting marriage licenses.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I likened this to him effectively being a private business or entity. They seem to have no problem denying anyone service based on whatever reason they see fit. If you go into a private place and they don't offer you service, it's within their rights to do so. In this case it's against whatever "moral" values he has (heh) and he's denying them based on his personal beliefs.[/QUOTE]
How the hell can you liken it to being a private business when he is a state-employed public servant.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Holy shit, dude, did you not read the article, or do you just not know what you're talking about, or what.
[/quote]
:roll: I'm saying it's against his personal belief to do so. He himself believes it's wrong for whatever reason and won't perform the ceremony. This happens all throughout life everyday.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

He isn't like, a priest who is being forced to do a wedding ceremony. He's a state-employed public servant who fills out paperwork for people getting marriage licenses.
[/QUOTE]

And?

There are many states where there is absolutely no penalty where a justice of the peace refuses to marry someone based on whatever belief they hold. If this guy doesn't want to do it, and there is no law or penalty for him to not do it, then he doesn't have to. In Connecticut, if a justice of the peace doesn't want to reside over a gay marriage, they face no penalty by turning it down. The same seems to apply here.

[quote name='bvharris']Our current President was a child from "such a marriage" [/QUOTE]

And their marriage didn't last.

Apparently, my mom's first three marriages must have been with minorities or maybe she is a minority because all of her husbands looked white.

And 50% of marriages in this country fail. So, they must be marriages between different colors of humans.

This incredible racist JOP is on to something. We should have racial testing at birth and put a colored dot on the forehead based on the results of the genetic test.

The guy can eat a dick obviously and secondly, if he was a religious man, he'd know that God determines whose marriages will work and not some middle-man

Thirdly, I hope he has a hot grand daughter my age because I'm going to drive there and fuck her in his room. And if I like her, I'm going to do a reverse shotgun wedding and he will certainly honor my license unless he's ready to meet his maker

"She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry.""

Unless you're gay. Then, bye bye every right afford straights.

Discriminating though he is, ultimately, every person with the power to marry should be able to pick and choose which cermonies to participate in. They are being paid for a service rendered, and like other people, should be able to pick and chose the jobs taken. Ideally, he should have said he was too busy, please go find somebody else: "So, just to know what I'm dealing with, for the best possible service for you two lovebirds, what races are you? Religons? Ages? Genders? Oh that's nice. What day was it you wanted me for again? Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm way too busy that day. Why not ask another instead, like Mr. So-And-So?" Voila. No marrying people he doesn't want to. No problems or trouble.

[quote name='strongpimphand']The guy can eat a dick obviously and secondly, if he was a religious man, he'd know that God determines whose marriages will work and not some middle-man

Thirdly, I hope he has a hot grand daughter my age because I'm going to drive there and fuck her in his room. And if I like her, I'm going to do a reverse shotgun wedding and he will certainly honor my license unless he's ready to meet his maker[/QUOTE]

Clearly, you're single. Why wouldn't you use your "get out of marriage free" card when you could?

What? I can't marry her? Fine. I'll just keep fucking her.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Clearly, you're single. Why wouldn't you use your "get out of marriage free" card when you could?

What? I can't marry her? Fine. I'll just keep fucking her.[/QUOTE]
Then there would be no point of holding a shotgun to him....which would defeat the reverse shotgun...

[quote name='strongpimphand']The guy can eat a dick obviously and secondly, if he was a religious man, he'd know that God determines whose marriages will work and not some middle-man

Thirdly, I hope he has a hot grand daughter my age because I'm going to drive there and fuck her in his room. And if I like her, I'm going to do a reverse shotgun wedding and he will certainly honor my license unless he's ready to meet his maker[/QUOTE]

What a shithead judge. God won't determine shit. I hope Santa Clause let's you bang his wife : )

[quote name='bvharris']Yep. Also, the old "I have black friends" standby. Our current President was a child from "such a marriage" and plenty of people from "both groups" have accepted him. This ignorant, hateful, and infinitesimally small man deserves every last inch of the shitstorm that's coming to him.[/QUOTE]

You're proving one of his points by bringing up obama ("Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long").

[quote name='perdition(troy']You're proving one of his points by bringing up obama ("Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long").[/QUOTE]

WAY ahead of you.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']He can be a bigotted jackass all he wants at home. By law he can't deny a marriage license based on the fact the couple is interracial. Loving vs. Virginia guarantees that.[/QUOTE]

Yep. He should lose his job over this for just that reason.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. He should lose his job over this for just that reason.[/QUOTE]

That's 100% right. He's going against a Supreme Court ruling and has done it more than once. It's a Civil Rights violation.

I am in shock that this could actually happen in 2009. He needs to be fired immediately. Although he is more open about sharing his toilet than I am... I don't even like the thought of my family using it... something to think about for sure.

[quote name='perdition(troy']You're proving one of his points by bringing up obama ("Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long").[/QUOTE]

No, you just didn't understand the point I was making, which is fabulously unsurprising.

From the article:
"I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

Obama was the child of an interracial marriage which didn't last, he turned out alright. I'm the child of a same-race marriage which didn't last, I turned out alright too. There are plenty of people who are the product of similar situations who did not turn out alright. Race has nothing to do with it.

[quote name='bvharris']No, you just didn't understand the point I was making, which is fabulously unsurprising.

From the article:

Obama was the child of an interracial marriage which didn't last, he turned out alright. I'm the child of a same-race marriage which didn't last, I turned out alright too. There are plenty of people who are the product of similar situations who did not turn out alright. Race has nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

You're just down right stupid if you think that mixed race kids don't have it harder then other kids. That or you just have all white friends, but either way I guess I don't really care which one of the two it is.

[quote name='perdition(troy']You're just down right stupid if you think that mixed race kids don't have it harder then other kids. That or you just have all white friends, but either way I guess I don't really care which one of the two it is.[/QUOTE]

Even if I allowed that tragically flawed and idiotic premise, should I then draw the conclusion that mixed race couples shouldn't even bother having kids? Or that this justice of the peace is correct in not issuing a license on those grounds because he shares this myopic and ridiculous worldview? That certainly seems to be where your argument is heading.

[quote name='perdition(troy']You're just down right stupid if you think that mixed race kids don't have it harder then other kids. That or you just have all white friends, but either way I guess I don't really care which one of the two it is.[/QUOTE]

It's this kind of thought process that makes it hard. Are you actually trying to defend this guy?

[quote name='mykevermin']The "I have black friends" defense comes with a new twist from this dude:

"I have piles and piles of black friends...they use my bathroom."

Boy, what a fuckin' civil rights champion.

"I treat them just like everyone else."

Anyone who feels the need to say that, and anyone who doesn't see the racism dripping in that statement...[/QUOTE]

yeah tht was prety odd the whole piles of black friends thing. are they llike stacked up in his basement or in the hold of his ship awaiting export? anytime someone has to say "hey ive got insert race here friends" theyre robably racist or prejudice. that said he has the right to not marry them thats his choice and likewise if he makes that choice hed better be ready to accept the consequences.

it depends on the area they live in and how they look.

[quote name='mtxbass1']:roll: I'm saying it's against his personal belief to do so. He himself believes it's wrong for whatever reason and won't perform the ceremony. This happens all throughout life everyday.[/quote]
[quote name='Ather']Discriminating though he is, ultimately, every person with the power to marry should be able to pick and choose which cermonies to participate in.[/quote]
God damn it, you guys. It's not a fucking wedding ceremony. The state doesn't do those. THEY'RE APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE. Do you not understand the difference?

They are being paid for a service rendered, and like other people, should be able to pick and chose the jobs taken.
You think your state-employed public servants should be allowed to decide who they serve based on their own bigotry?

I'm not going to set up any specific strawmen, but if that's what you think, wow, that's a pretty fucking slippery slope right there, dude.

[quote name='bvharris']No, you just didn't understand the point I was making, which is fabulously unsurprising.

From the article:

Obama was the child of an interracial marriage which didn't last, he turned out alright. I'm the child of a same-race marriage which didn't last, I turned out alright too. There are plenty of people who are the product of similar situations who did not turn out alright. Race has nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I never had an issue growing up because I didn't try to fit in. I was just me and if someone didn't like it I couldn't care less.

Are you mixed yourself? If not, you really can't assume anything about what we mixed folks go through. Not every person we encounter are ignorant asses. I always considered my mixed heritage something to be proud of, not a burden.

My father is Mexican and my mother is lily-white. I grew up being accepted by white kids, but not really by Mexican kids. My wife is Cambodian/Chinese and is 7 months pregnant with our first baby. Our little girl will be Mexican/White/Cambodian/Chinese. Should I be worried about her being accepted by others? Maybe it depends on where you grow up, but I'm not too worried about it here in Northern California.

[quote name='pacifickarma']My father is Mexican and my mother is lily-white. I grew up being accepted by white kids, but not really by Mexican kids. My wife is Cambodian/Chinese and is 7 months pregnant with our first baby. Our little girl will be Mexican/White/Cambodian/Chinese. Should I be worried about her being accepted by others? Maybe it depends on where you grow up, but I'm not too worried about it here in Northern California.[/QUOTE]

Dude. Your daughter is going to be smoking. fcuking. hot. Tell her to call me in 19 yrs. :drool: I really don't see where the hate for mixed races come from but I would guess any antagonism is based on jealousy at such potential attractiveness. I'd have to say, from my own experiences, most of them tend to look quite aesthetically beautiful/handsome.

if a person marries a cupcake and then eats the cupcake can they be charge with manslaughter : )

my cousin called me up drunk the other night asking me this.. just found it funny for some reason.. Probally cause my cousin was so freaking drunk.....

if he didnt want to marry them too bad find someone else..... no instead they take it to the news...

I went to best buy few months back... A (someone other then my race) turn off their light and walked away when they saw me coming up with the items i wanted to buy.. so i had to go into another lane... I guess i should of called the news up that night and say that worker was a rasicst and best buy should be boycotteed

[quote name='slidecage']I went to best buy few months back... A (someone other then my race) turn off their light and walked away when they saw me coming up with the items i wanted to buy.. so i had to go into another lane... I guess i should of called the news up that night and say that worker was a rasicst and best buy should be boycotteed[/QUOTE]

Hey, maybe their shift was ending.

And again: State-employed public servant. How many times do I have to say this.

[quote name='slidecage']if a person marries a cupcake and then eats the cupcake can they be charge with manslaughter : )

my cousin called me up drunk the other night asking me this.. just found it funny for some reason.. Probally cause my cousin was so freaking drunk.....

if he didnt want to marry them too bad find someone else..... no instead they take it to the news...

I went to best buy few months back... A (someone other then my race) turn off their light and walked away when they saw me coming up with the items i wanted to buy.. so i had to go into another lane... I guess i should of called the news up that night and say that worker was a rasicst and best buy should be boycotteed[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty stupid comparison.

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE MESSAGE BEFORE FLAMING!

[Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.]

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

This law was set in place to restrict the state from placing laws and or enforcing laws prohibiting two persons of separate raced being married.

Just because he is a Justice of the Peace does not mean he is not entitled to his own opinion. He can not be forced into any action that he objects to. Doing so would be a violation of his civil rights. As was posted before this, he did not deny them a marriage license he just refused to marry them. There is a big difference here. They can still be married within the state. They just have to look for someone else to do it.

There is no difference between this and a Catholic Priest who refuses to marry two people based on their religion. Which happens all the time. Which is protected by both parties civil rights.

While I do not agree with his point of view behind his decision, I do not feel that his decision warrants any further action on him. Since civil rights protects both sides of this issue. He still has the right of choice.

In today's society people are too quick to judge when their is a possible racial implication. They seem to forget that civil rights go both ways. Just because a "minority" was involved they are the automatic victims here. I call this BS. Since both white and black people were affected.

In reality there are no victims here. This couple has been given foresight as to what kind of person they wanted to marry them and the justice is able to keep true to his beliefs.

On a side note..... People who feel the need to discriminate upon those who discriminate are just hypocrites. Since you cant take away from one mans right to think and live the way they want. Just like you cant take the "gay" out of someone, you cant take the "black" off of someones skin and you cant take the thoughts and feelings out of a "bigots" mind. If one is born this way, they all are.

[quote name='Ather']"She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry.""

Unless you're gay. Then, bye bye every right afford straights.
[/QUOTE]

Gays can get married in my state. ;)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']State-employed public servant.[/QUOTE]

This does not take away from his federally mandated constitutional rights.

[quote name='synweb']In today's society people are too quick to judge when their is a possible racial implication.[/quote]

From the article in the OP:

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

Good thing we have you here to tell us it's not about race.

On a side note..... People who feel the need to discriminate upon those who discriminate are just hypocrites. Since you cant take away from one mans right to think and live the way they want. Just like you cant take the "gay" out of someone, you cant take the "black" off of someones skin and you cant take the thoughts and feelings out of a "bigots" mind. If one is born this way, they all are.

People are born racist? What the hell are you trying to say? If you can't tolerate someone being a discriminatory bigot, then you're a bigot yourself? Are you drunk or under 12? Perhaps both?

I'm half-black and half-Italian. My wife is half-black and half-Japanese. We've been married for 5 years, and have 4 kids. My parents have been married for 28 years, and they're still happily together. So yeah, I'd say interracial relationships do work.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'm half-black and half-Italian. My wife is half-black and half-Japanese. We've been married for 5 years, and have 4 kids. My parents have been married for 28 years, and they're still happily together. So yeah, I'd say interracial relationships do work.[/QUOTE]

Man you must have some beautiful kids. My best friend married a white girl (he's Filipino) and their kids are gorgeous.

[quote name='synweb']PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE MESSAGE BEFORE FLAMING!

[Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.]

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

This law was set in place to restrict the state from placing laws and or enforcing laws prohibiting two persons of separate raced being married.

Just because he is a Justice of the Peace does not mean he is not entitled to his own opinion. He can not be forced into any action that he objects to. Doing so would be a violation of his civil rights. As was posted before this, he did not deny them a marriage license he just refused to marry them. There is a big difference here. They can still be married within the state. They just have to look for someone else to do it.

There is no difference between this and a Catholic Priest who refuses to marry two people based on their religion. Which happens all the time. Which is protected by both parties civil rights.

While I do not agree with his point of view behind his decision, I do not feel that his decision warrants any further action on him. Since civil rights protects both sides of this issue. He still has the right of choice.

In today's society people are too quick to judge when their is a possible racial implication. They seem to forget that civil rights go both ways. Just because a "minority" was involved they are the automatic victims here. I call this BS. Since both white and black people were affected.

In reality there are no victims here. This couple has been given foresight as to what kind of person they wanted to marry them and the justice is able to keep true to his beliefs.

On a side note..... People who feel the need to discriminate upon those who discriminate are just hypocrites. Since you cant take away from one mans right to think and live the way they want. Just like you cant take the "gay" out of someone, you cant take the "black" off of someones skin and you cant take the thoughts and feelings out of a "bigots" mind. If one is born this way, they all are.[/QUOTE]

Like I said before, he can be a racist ass all he wants, but he legally cannot say he is denying a marriage license based on race. If he isn't doing his job, and isn't capable of following the law, he should be removed. Simple as that.

There is is big difference between a Catholic priest refusing marriage (church is separate from state) and a government employee that is bound by law that the state cannot infringe on the right to marry. As a representative of that state it is pretty clear his actions are illegal.

My parents have been married 35 years and guess what? Out of all my mom's six siblings (my mother is black, dad is white) she is the only one that hasn't been divorced. But I guess the judge is an expert on what he is talking about since he lets us black folk take a shit in his house.

It's Louisiana. Did you expect different? Go visit the town of Jena sometime, it's practically stuck in the 1930s, complete with unpunished assaults on blacks and lynchings.

The ony way you'll ever be rid of racist southerners is to exterminate them, because they're just going to keep teaching their own kids their own ignorant crap. And before you yell at me for that sentiment, violence is about the only thing these people understand, since it's what they teach should be done to non-whites.

[quote name='docvinh']This is a pretty stupid comparison.[/QUOTE]

yea its a stupid comparison when the person is white and the person doing the act is black... BUT if it was the other way around it would be different...

it was even in the paper the other day at a gas station... some person from overseas walked away from the counter when a black person was walking up.. THey called up the media and said it was disrespectful.... The worker had to go to some meeting and they put the entire thing is the paper ....

[quote name='slidecage']yea its a stupid comparison when the person is white and the person doing the act is black... BUT if it was the other way around it would be different...

it was even in the paper the other day at a gas station... some person from overseas walked away from the counter when a black person was walking up.. THey called up the media and said it was disrespectful.... The worker had to go to some meeting and they put the entire thing is the paper ....[/QUOTE]

No, it was a stupid comparison period.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']There is is big difference between a Catholic priest refusing marriage (church is separate from state) and a government employee that is bound by law that the state cannot infringe on the right to marry.[/QUOTE]

States can (and do) infringe on the right to marry quite a bit; anti-miscegenation is just a per se unconstitutional justification for doing so.

bread's done
Back