Lose/Lose: a video-game with real life consequences

Wolfkin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I dunno if any of you guys have heard of this indie game before.
Lose/Lose
Lose/Lose is a video-game with real life consequences. Each alien in the game is created based on a random file on the players computer. If the player kills the alien, the file it is based on is deleted. If the players ship is destroyed, the application itself is deleted.
Although touching aliens will cause the player to lose the game, and killing aliens awards points, the aliens will never actually fire at the player. This calls into question the player's mission, which is never explicitly stated, only hinted at through classic game mechanics. Is the player supposed to be an aggressor? Or merely an observer, traversing through a dangerous land?
Why do we assume that because we are given a weapon an awarded for using it, that doing so is right?
By way of exploring what it means to kill in a video-game, Lose/Lose broaches bigger questions. As technology grows, our understanding of it diminishes, yet, at the same time, it becomes increasingly important in our lives. At what point does our virtual data become as important to us as physical possessions? If we have reached that point already, what real objects do we value less than our data? What implications does trusting something so important to something we understand so poorly have?
KILLING ALIENS IN LOSE/LOSE WILL DELETE FILES ON YOUR HARDDRIVE PERMANANTLY

I was over at IndieGames.com looking for something to give my nephews and noticed they had an article about how Symantec has classified it as a trojan (Link)

I've said it there and I'll say it here conceptually it's an interesting concept, but as stated it sounds dangerous. If you delete my photos that hurts but just any file could mean breaking my computer. Anyway I thought I'd see what you guys think of it thought I'm going to recommend you don't actually play it cause the temptation to shoot may just be too much.

Great idea...not. Who would willingly play this?

"- Hey guys, I got a great idea for a game. Basically, when you play, it fucks your computer. How about it?

- That sounds great, lets make it. I'm sure everyone will clamor for it.
"

[quote name='Strell']I played it and it deleted itself first.

This must be what dividing by zero is like.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Tempting ... I have a computer with a virus on it ... maybe I'll break it

720.jpg

I'd play this game, lol. Sounds very interesting, and seems to be quite a good idea. It seems it also has a meaning.

[quote name='Strell']I played it and it deleted itself first.

This must be what dividing by zero is like.[/QUOTE]well if you shoot an alien it deletes a file if an alien touches you the game is deleted. the odds of shooting an alien and the random file it picks is the application itself.. that must be astronomical. especially considering the amount of 'video files' on your computer.

[quote name='Over easy']Put it on the school or public library computers. People WILL get curious about this game.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, I wish this game was around when I was a kid just so I could do that.

[quote name='randall82']Well I know what I'll be playing at BestBuy if they leave their computers unlocked...[/QUOTE]

That made my day.

you know what occurs to me. I was listening to some podcast talk about MW2 and I think this game does the same thing as the airport scene. One the commenters was saying that MW2 is an FPS whose language is that of shooting someone in the head. That's the games primary dialect. So giving you a gun and sticking you in this airport but telling you that you have the option to not shoot is kind of a cop-out. Lose/Lose might actually be a simpler example of this. The game puts you in a shooter and then you're stuck in an edict to 'not shoot'.

bread's done
Back