2D Side-Scrolling Action RPGs???

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
It's an odd genre. I'm looking for Action RPGs but side scrolling like Mario(no over head like Zelda)

The only ones I can think of are:
Zelda II
Popful Mail
Wonder Boy 2 & 3
I think some Y's games were like this

Don't bother with Metroid or Castlevania games either. I'm really trying to think of more obscure titles.

Battle of Olympus (NES and GB OG I think)
The D&D Arcade games are more of a Hack n' Slash game with RPG overtones due to subject matter.
Faxanadu (?) (NES)
Magician (NES)
Astyanax (NES) (MIght be more action than RPG, but I seem to remembering leveing up, but I don't know.. it's been years)
Wizards & Warriors (more action than RPG. Again due to subject matter)
A case could be made for Rygar as you do gain levels that increase Health and damage.
Sword Master (NES)
Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness (Rpg overhead sections with action gameplay. 1st one on GB OG and 2nd on NES)

That's a few I can think of

Last edited by a moderator:
I think part of ActRaiser (SNES) is 2D (not sure how much RPG there is), but it also has city management parts as well. I don't know a ton about the game though since I haven't personally played it.

I've never played Demon's Crest, but always wanted to. I didn't know it had RPG elements, I always thought it was strictly a platformer. Think that'll be next on my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

It has RPG elements like a Mega Man game does. Nothing has heavy as the ones you listed but its still one of the best games on the SNES imo. I think it is even on the virtual console( maybe ).

Just checked not on VC all they had was Super Ghouls' n Ghosts. Slackers, still should not cost more than a couple bucks I wouldn't think at this point and well worth it.

[quote name='J7.']Does Valkyrie Profile apply? I haven't ever played it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would count that and can't believe I didn't think of it.

Ys III would be the one others are thinking of out of the Ys games that is a side scroller, a few others I can think of...

Cadash (surprised this one wasen't mentioned yet)
Exile (Genesis)

A few Capcom games that would loosely fit in as Action Adventure/RPG

King of Dragons
Knights of The Round
Magic Sword

Forgot about Cadash and I own the game.

I don't think Valkyrie Profile applies cause it's not really an action RPG. There is some platforming but the battles are turn-based.

[quote name='damien187']How has anyone not mentioned Muramassa yet?[/QUOTE]
It's not really old school.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Never played Scurge. Seemed to go instant bargain bin, so I never thought much of it.[/QUOTE]

not a bad game. It does suffer a few flaws, aiming your attacks is kinda hard and constantly running back and forth always sucks but there is some fun to be had with it. IMO, even with the problems, it was worth the $2 I paid

No idea if this one was mentioned yet because I can't remember what it was called, but I remember a game on the Genesis that was a side-scrolling RPG, and your character could transform into things like centaurs.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']No idea if this one was mentioned yet because I can't remember what it was called, but I remember a game on the Genesis that was a side-scrolling RPG, and your character could transform into things like centaurs.[/QUOTE]

saintSwordAd.jpg

These have been some great suggestions. Thanks guys. I'm currently playing Wonderboy III which is great. Just to let everyone know you can get it on the Virtual Console for either the Master System or Turbo Grafix. The Master System version is cheaper but the TG-16 version named "Dragon's Curse" has better graphics.

Oh yeah, Dragon's Curse! I owned that on Turbo; decent little game. I remember the secret store hidden above a normal door with all the pimp loot.

bread's done
Back