What on earth did I just do? I bought a PSP for $0.

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
258 (100%)
Update: I took some of my TRU games and sold them to Coconuts for cash so my PSP along with a Starfox Assault pre-order + $204 in EB credit is now free!!!! :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

DEAL OF THE YEAR!!!!

I kept saying I'm going to wait, I'm going to wait but this TRU \ EB games deal did me in. I said if I could get a PSP really cheap I would get one. After TRU magic coupon games and 90% off games I got a PSP value pack and $44 in EB credit for about $40. :shock:

I'm wondering how many other people are doing this?

[quote name='JoJo112']what is this deal you speak of...Explain in great detail[/quote]

TRU has 90% off a lot of games and last month or so a lot of games were free with a coupon that took $5 off of games under 20 even $5 making them free. EB games is giving out an extra $10 in credit for every 2 PS2, GC, XBOX games (that aren't sports titles) that you trade in. So you can buy games at TRU for $1-2 and trade them in for $5.25-$6.00 or so. Build up a ton of credit and there you have it.

[quote name='jkam']I kept saying I'm going to wait, I'm going to wait but this TRU \ EB games deal did me in. I said if I could get a PSP really cheap I would get one. After TRU magic coupon games and 90% off games I got a PSP value pack and $44 in EB credit for about $40. :shock:

I'm wondering how many other people are doing this?[/quote]

I could buy two with this deal... isnt it fun? :bouncy: :bouncy:

[quote name='jkam']I kept saying I'm going to wait, I'm going to wait but this TRU \ EB games deal did me in. I said if I could get a PSP really cheap I would get one. After TRU magic coupon games and 90% off games I got a PSP value pack and $44 in EB credit for about $40. :shock:

You know I always kick myself for not...

Ah who am i kidding. I got a few games after all.. I went in to do the 2 for $10 deal and the guy ended up living in my home town.... Long story short I reserved 2 games for a total of 10 TRU games, with EB's trade in 5 get a free game preorder.

So No I didnt do your deal but for about $23 investment (no duplicates, but lots of gas!) I got Doom3, Splinter Cell preorders. And am about to order Burnout 3 and Ninja Gaiden Preplayed with CAG16 and Saver shipping!

The thing is too that I don't feel bad about it...mainly because I didn't have to hoard a bunch of games. This is my first time REALLY working the system. A lot of the really junk games were overflowing at most of the TRU's I've been too. It's really crazy.

Seriously, unless you know the people at EB and TRU it's just not worth the time and effort to do this, IMO... nice work though OP - you've got more energy than I do... :p

[quote name='javeryh']Seriously, unless you know the people at EB and TRU it's just not worth the time and effort to do this, IMO... nice work though OP - you've got more energy than I do... :p[/quote]

It's not that hard when you have about 3 or 4 TRU's close to home and work and 5 EB's within a 3-5 mile radius.

[quote name='atreyue']You are all going to hell.[/quote]

That may be, but were arriving with free PSPs!!! W000000t :twisted:

[quote name='cag1000']whats a magic coupon game
elaborate on the deal i need details[/quote]

That deal is over. The coupon was in the holiday gift guide. It expired on the 30th or 31st of Dec. if I remember correctly. It took $5 off any game $19.99 or less even if the game was $4.48. So games ended up being free.

[quote name='Kayden'][quote name='atreyue']You are all going to hell.[/quote]

That may be, but were arriving with free PSPs!!! W000000t :twisted:[/quote]

Well, say it loud and proud. Better to openly hoard than try to justify it with that wack 'I'm just spitting in the face of the establishment' line.

[quote name='atreyue'][quote name='Kayden'][quote name='atreyue']You are all going to hell.[/quote]

Well, say it loud and proud. Better to openly hoard than try to justify it with that wack 'I'm just spitting in the face of the establishment' line.[/quote]

It wasn't so much hoarding as it was helping TRU clear shelf space for more valuable merchandise ^_^ Honestly, they didn't have 10 copies of a 4 year old game because its a great seller :roll:

Ah, who freaking cares? Sure, you'll get a PSP for $44 bucks. But its not worth getting shitty deals/shafted/or even banned from Gamestop/EB for bringing in 400 Mary Kate and Ashley PS2 games. Not only that, All sales are final on green tagged stuff. So you could end up getting stuck with them all. That would suck.

and if it were a newer game on sale which you bought to trade or sell to turn a profit it would be different in some way? I know it's a bit of a dirty word, but the days when this communtiy frowned on hoarding are long gone, judging by the content of every one out of 4 threads.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Ah, who freaking cares? Sure, you'll get a PSP for $44 bucks. But its not worth getting shitty deals/shafted/or even banned from Gamestop/EB for bringing in 400 Mary Kate and Ashley PS2 games. Not only that, All sales are final on green tagged stuff. So you could end up getting stuck with them all. That would suck.[/quote]

Thats why I only bought a few, After they took the first few I asked if theyd take more, then I raked in the value.
[quote name='claydawg96']im from a small town...what the hell is TRU?[/quote]

Mouse over what you just typed =)

[quote name='claydawg96']im from a small town...what the hell is TRU?[/quote]

First welcome...

They have a neat system hold your mouse pointer over the abreviation to find out!!

And for the record I took 1 of each game a total of 18 games. (the exhibition games I took 3 each of two kinds)

So I didnt hoard by any means. I have 2 toyrs R US 3 Eb's 4 Gamestops and no Gamrushs in my area.

Then in another area I frequent there is almost double the gamestores but 2 TRU's

What games did you get/use to accumulate this much credit for so little cash?

[quote name='peteyrose']So this is ok, but returning games to Walmart isn't? :roll:[/quote]

There is no dishonesty involved in this approach. You aren't taking advantage of either retailer. TRU is freely offering horible crap game for 90% off and EB is giving a ten dollar bonus for each pair brought to them. If EB was truly concerned about this they could have simply excluded many titles as they usually do.

[quote name='Kayden'][quote name='atreyue'][quote name='Kayden'][quote name='atreyue']You are all going to hell.[/quote]

Well, say it loud and proud. Better to openly hoard than try to justify it with that wack 'I'm just spitting in the face of the establishment' line.[/quote]

It wasn't so much hoarding as it was helping TRU clear shelf space for more valuable merchandise ^_^ Honestly, they didn't have 10 copies of a 4 year old game because its a great seller :roll:[/quote]

atreyue: Do you really know anyone that needs a copy of EJay Clubworld or Supercar? My TRU had 20+ of each, and this was a few days into the sale.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Ah, who freaking cares? Sure, you'll get a PSP for $44 bucks. But its not worth getting shitty deals/shafted/or even banned from Gamestop/EB for bringing in 400 Mary Kate and Ashley PS2 games. Not only that, All sales are final on green tagged stuff. So you could end up getting stuck with them all. That would suck.[/quote]

Actually, I've had no problem returning green tags items previously. Even if I couldn't the worst that would happen I lost a minor sum when getting what meager amount I could. I tested the water at EB before I swept through six different TRU stores. The local TRU is diretly across the street from a EB so the investigatory portion was very quickly done and it was full speed ahead from there.

Besides, even if EB wouldn't take the games there are other venues. A store near me called GameDude is a place I've been bringing games for almost 15 years. I went by there to get a few more crap games after I started running low on the variety of games since I wanted to avoid duplicates in the batches I brought EB. It turned out they're buying price for Legends of Wrestling II Xbox and Black and Bruised PS2 were high enough to nearly double my money on those. I had two of each so I used the first pair to get three copies of PS2 State of Emergency for $2 each.

After I do my last two batches tomorrow morning I"ll have about $325 in EB credit. Enough for the PSP and one game including LA County sales tax. I haven't done a final tally yet but my cost is between $80 and $90 I think. Maybe less but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Edit: Did the tallying and after sales tax my TRU cost for the trade-ins was a few pennies over $79. Better than I thought but only by a hair. My original 5:1 profit ratio is reduced to 4:1 but I'm still pretty happy.

Now if I could make this work with real estate...

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='jkam']I kept saying I'm going to wait, I'm going to wait but this TRU \ EB games deal did me in. I said if I could get a PSP really cheap I would get one. After TRU magic coupon games and 90% off games I got a PSP value pack and $44 in EB credit for about $40. :shock:

What games did you get/use to accumulate this much credit for so little cash?[/quote]

Probably a lot of Jam Packs or Xbox Exhibitions. At 50 cents each at TRU and getting 25 cents for them at EB, after the bonus you've turned $1 (plus local sales tax) into $10.50.

I have four Jam Packs I got at CC a while back for a penny a piece but they're packed away somwewhere in my storage unit and I couldn't go digging for them today because there was torrential rain and the only way to go digging very deep is to move the front items out into the open. Hopefully, I'll find them before the end of the EB deal and add another $20 credit to my stash.

A few games have the exceptional quality of a low TRU price that is still beat by EB's trade-in value. The Olsen Twins game goes for $1.50 but EB is giving $2 for it, so the profit on a pair is $11.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='jkam']I kept saying I'm going to wait, I'm going to wait but this TRU \ EB games deal did me in. I said if I could get a PSP really cheap I would get one. After TRU magic coupon games and 90% off games I got a PSP value pack and $44 in EB credit for about $40. :shock:

What games did you get/use to accumulate this much credit for so little cash?[/quote]

Ejay Clubworld + Music Maker PS2 are great because they get a buck at Ebgames and only cost a buck. So it's a $5 profit right off the bat. I had some luck trading in penny jampacks. I also traded a few old xbox demos with the extra splinter cell levels that cost me either 0.50 or 0.99 I also had some free games from the TRU magic coupon deal back in DEC. Hope that helps you.

I can understand people being upset about this... as usually I would be too but:

1. I haven't hoarded a single title. The few TRU's I have been to have had a major stack of games. To most people these games are undesirable but with the EB deal they are worth it to me.

2. I have been gaming for a long time. I don't ever remember EB having such a great trade-in offer. People have done 4 and 5 for 1 forever and that is never frowned upon. This is just larger scaled.

3. I'm not doing anything illegal as some people seem to treat this. I am not breaking any rules. The couple of times I have gone into a couple of different EB's the managers and workers remember me and we shoot the shit. I haven't had a single complaint. I've had some good conversations as well.

4. This may very well be the best deal of 2005.

I did it! I had cancelled my preorder when they announced the price, but now that I got about $300 EB credit for about a $80 TRU investment, it seemed woth it to buy another one!

STill though your spending the 300 bucks on the PSP cause those 300 could be used eleswere.. got to love one of our EBgames. They keep asking if you want cash or credit with the trade 2 games in get 10 extra

Buy 2 R Racing for gamecube 1.50 each total 3 bucks
Trade both to Ebgames 2 each + 10 12 -20% cash 9.60

so for ever 2 games your making 7 bucks cash where you can turn around and take that 7 and buy 5 more R racing

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='peteyrose']So this is ok, but returning games to Walmart isn't? :roll:[/quote]

There is no dishonesty involved in this approach. You aren't taking advantage of either retailer. TRU is freely offering horible crap game for 90% off and EB is giving a ten dollar bonus for each pair brought to them. If EB was truly concerned about this they could have simply excluded many titles as they usually do.[/quote]

They had Jumpacks included 6 month ago. They could've excluded them, but they didn't. Trading values on the regular games at EB are close to nothing and exclusion list is over the top. Was Eb supposed to be a gaming store?! :roll:

Good job CAG's. I remember many of you being the same to complain about the $250 PSP price tag. I was planning on getting a PSP all along for around $80 (with FYE & GR trade-ins), but the TRU deal just let me get a PSP for around $50 and I'll be able to easily afford 3 games at launch with plenty of funds left over.

Don't let MSRP's scare you off. MSRP's mean nothing to a CAG.

[quote name='shipwreck']Good job CAG's. I remember many of you being the same to complain about the $250 PSP price tag. I was planning on getting a PSP all along for around $80 (with FYE & GR trade-ins), but the TRU deal just let me get a PSP for around $50 and I'll be able to easily afford 3 games at launch with plenty of funds left over.

Don't let MSRP's scare you off. MSRP's mean nothing to a CAG.[/quote]

If they put $600 price tag on it we will find the way to get it under $100. :lol:

When Major stores stop taking PSP preorders we'll have a price jump to $500 and everyone will want it for $250 :twisted:

[quote name='slidecage']STill though your spending the 300 bucks on the PSP cause those 300 could be used eleswere.. got to love one of our EBgames. They keep asking if you want cash or credit with the trade 2 games in get 10 extra

so for ever 2 games your making 7 bucks cash where you can turn around and take that 7 and buy 5 more R racing[/quote]

And in comes Slidecage with his math.

Some of you guys are getting sick amounts of credit. I traded my games (Sphinx, UFC Tapout, Virtua Striker, and Wallace and Gromit) to Rhino and got $21. I had $5 leftover from a previous trade, so I picked up KOTOR2 for $9. Then I took some stuff to GameCraazy and got around $30 trade-in credit.. haven't used it yet though. You guys with the EB that do no exclusions aside from sports games are lucky. Mine goes by the exclusion list. Oh well. I'm happy with my KOTOR2 and whatever I get at GameCrazy. I'm sure there will be other sales.

[quote name='jkam'][quote name='javeryh']Seriously, unless you know the people at EB and TRU it's just not worth the time and effort to do this, IMO... nice work though OP - you've got more energy than I do... :p[/quote]

It's not that hard when you have about 3 or 4 TRU's close to home and work and 5 EB's within a 3-5 mile radius.[/quote]

luckly, I have a TRU nearby I take the bus to and a far away one I take another bus to... both with EB games conviently near by for me to imediatly trade in.

Yes, this deal has been so good to me I spent 4 days straight going to different TRU and trading games at different EBs (just to not get people way too suspicuose about me). So far with all the credit I've gotten all I have to dish out for the PSP on release day is $11 :shock: :D oh boy... I love this deal!!!! what's even better is that I find other people walkign around in the TRU looking for the cheap games and they say "Man... they have alot of green tagged stuff but it's alot of crap!" so... I am the one who turns the crap into... gold crap! :p On tuesday I'm going to go out and pick up more copies to trade in and sell on ebay...

[quote name='jkam']Update: I took some of my TRU games and sold them to Coconuts for cash so my PSP along with a Starfox Assault pre-order + $204 in EB credit is now free!!!! :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

DEAL OF THE YEAR!!!!

I kept saying I'm going to wait, I'm going to wait but this TRU \ EB games deal did me in. I said if I could get a PSP really cheap I would get one. After TRU magic coupon games and 90% off games I got a PSP value pack and $44 in EB credit for about $40. :shock:

1st let me say that this is quite possibly the BEST "DEAL" EVER!!!

You can EASILY get more than full retail for a PSP system on Ebay just like the DS system.

I was gonna wait also but i will be getting a Psp and 1 game at FYE at launch for around $80 out of pocket.

FYE has the weirdest trade in value's ever!!
$17 trade in for Freestyle Soccer Xbox which can be bought for $4 at Blockbuster.

wow i am late on this deal. i go to a lot of malls during the week and sld have the opportunity to do this if the deal(s) is still available. does anyone know if eb games is still running a deal? if i hit a couple of TRU's what sld i be looking for and sld i only return the games at eb? i live in jersey and have stores at malls in jersey and ny so this cld work if i am not too late. any info wld be appreciated.

In total I made 125 In credit for about 50 bucks. Bought, GC 1019 memory card, The Punisher and Full Metal Alchemist, gave the remaining 11 bucks to a friend who paided for lunch.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='slidecage']STill though your spending the 300 bucks on the PSP cause those 300 could be used eleswere.. got to love one of our EBgames. They keep asking if you want cash or credit with the trade 2 games in get 10 extra

so for ever 2 games your making 7 bucks cash where you can turn around and take that 7 and buy 5 more R racing[/quote]

And in comes Slidecage with his math.

Some of you guys are getting sick amounts of credit. I traded my games (Sphinx, UFC Tapout, Virtua Striker, and Wallace and Gromit) to Rhino and got $21. I had $5 leftover from a previous trade, so I picked up KOTOR2 for $9. Then I took some stuff to GameCraazy and got around $30 trade-in credit.. haven't used it yet though. You guys with the EB that do no exclusions aside from sports games are lucky. Mine goes by the exclusion list. Oh well. I'm happy with my KOTOR2 and whatever I get at GameCrazy. I'm sure there will be other sales.[/quote]

main point was i diidnt think they gave cash with the extra 10

bread's done
Back