Steam Midweek Madness: Zeno Clash - $5.10 (66% off) until 12/3

DukeEdwardI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
header.jpg

Link

Really fun game IMO. Unique setting and punching a birdman in the face is satisfying. Well worth it at this price.

Has Steam achievements and Steam Cloud integration.

There's a free demo available for anyone on the fence. If you're open to bizarre or "different" games it's hard to pass this up.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']downloading demo, is it like a hack and slash?[/QUOTE]

You use your fists most of the time. You do get weapons tho. But some of them break after a while.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']downloading demo, is it like a hack and slash?[/QUOTE]

No, not at all. It's a linear and plot-driven first-person melee combat (well, there are a few ranged weapons, but it's secondary to the melee) game.

It's one of my absolute favorite PC games of 2009, but I suppose it's not for everyone. I would recommend that everyone at least try the demo.

It should be mentioned that an improved version is coming to XBLA and that the developer has made no mention of adding the new content to the PC version. But still, for $5, who cares?

Edit: I stand corrected (albeit lamely @ CoffeeEdge)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is amazing. I really wanted a deal on this game and this PC game alone. Nice, I am definitely picking this up.

I didn't even know this game existed till now. The demo was great and I shall buy it tomorrow for surez.

I have this game already, and I definately agree. Its an odd but worthy experience for $5. I do have a question though that maybe someone here knows. Is it possible to buy this game as a gift, send it to my own personal e-mail, and then at Christmas give that e-mail to a friend as a XMAS gift? Or does it tie the game to whatever e-mail account they have on file for Steam and I would basically be gifting the game to myself...already owning it? Just wondered because I want to gift it but don't want them to get the game just yet.

[quote name='bb4lake']I have this game already, and I definately agree. Its an odd but worthy experience for $5. I do have a question though that maybe someone here knows. Is it possible to buy this game as a gift, send it to my own personal e-mail, and then at Christmas give that e-mail to a friend as a XMAS gift? Or does it tie the game to whatever e-mail account they have on file for Steam and I would basically be gifting the game to myself...already owning it? Just wondered because I want to gift it but don't want them to get the game just yet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think that would work. But there is a menu that lets you manage gifts and guest passes. So you can buy a copy as a gift now and just let it sit there until you want to gift it to your friend.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Um, yes they have:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11431098&postcount=9

Please try not to say negative things about this game that are not true. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Oh sure, like I was deliberately spreading misinformation. Nor did I say anything negative about the game - just mentioned the XBLA game's improvements.
It's not like the info you mention is heavily advertised - there's been news stories about the XBLA game, but I've seen none that mention the PC getting the same features patched.
Forgive me for not reading every forum post out there. :p

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Yeah I don't think that would work. But there is a menu that lets you manage gifts and guest passes. So you can buy a copy as a gift now and just let it sit there until you want to gift it to your friend.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? Very few games will let you hold onto a gift copy.

I really enjoyed the characters and story. The combat wasn't as much fun as I imagined when watching previews.
Still, I was happy to get it when it was full price, and am throwing in my voice to anyone on the fence at the current price.
It's not for everyone, but it's still a solid title.

[quote name='52club']Could see this being between $2.00-$4.00 during the X-Mas sale, but the price is right for me.[/QUOTE]

I guess anything is possible, but I think that people need to remember that during the last Holiday sale, while there were a couple dozen items for 25% off, and a couple dozen items for 50-75% off, the vast majority of the Steam catalog (several hundred titles) was only discounted by 10%.

I mean, I still expect it to be a great sale, but I have been seeing people here and especially on the Steam forums talking about this year's upcoming holiday sale for months, like it is this legendary thing, like they're expecting to get every game on their personal wishlists for like 85% off or something, and I think that maybe people are letting their expectations run a bit wild for this one.

Yeah, sure, maybe ZC will end up being two bucks during the holiday sale, for all we know, but maybe it'll be $13.49, ya know? All I'm saying is that anyone who wants to play this game really out to grab it now, if you ask me. Games don't get much better than this for $5.

[quote name='eastx']Oh sure, like I was deliberately spreading misinformation. Nor did I say anything negative about the game - just mentioned the XBLA game's improvements.
It's not like the info you mention is heavily advertised - there's been news stories about the XBLA game, but I've seen none that mention the PC getting the same features patched.
Forgive me for not reading every forum post out there. :p[/QUOTE]
Heh, sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you or claiming you were intentionally spreading misinformation or something; I was just teasing. ;)

I do, however, really want to make sure that people don't go getting the wrong idea about the new Ultimate Edition content. It's just that PC gamers can be a bit, uh, shall we say, cripplingly and profoundly fucktarded when they think that they're being treated unfairly in favor of consoles or whatever, and I don't want some raging PC fanboy to skip out on this wonderful game because he thinks that the developers are a bunch of "console sell-out whores who hate PC gaming" or whatever. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bb4lake']Is it possible to buy this game as a gift, send it to my own personal e-mail, and then at Christmas give that e-mail to a friend as a XMAS gift?[/QUOTE]

If Portal goes on sale between now and Christmas, this is exactly what I intend to do. I've read their Knowledge Base article on gifting, and it looks like it would work. Gifts don't expire, and you can resend an invite to someone else as long as it hasn't been redeemed.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I guess anything is possible, but I think that people need to remember that during the last Holiday sale, while there were a couple dozen items for 25% off, and a couple dozen items for 50-75% off, the vast majority of the Steam catalog was only discounted by 10%.

I mean, I still expect it to be a great sale, but I have been seeing people here and especially on the Steam forums talking about this year's upcoming holiday sale for months, like it is this legendary thing, like they're expecting to get every game on their personal wishlists for like 85% off or something, and I think that maybe people are letting their expectations run a bit wild for this one.

[/QUOTE]

Good point, it is hard to disagree with the facts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346689

I think I'm going to have to get this. And I think this game is supposed to allow you to mess with the resources in Gmod, a la TF2, HF2 and all the other Valve Source games.

Perfect, had my eye on the game and this is just the price I was waiting for it to get to (well, actually I was waiting for it to hit $5, but I won't let the extra 10 cents disuade me). Sounds like an interesting game, and even though it's supposed to be pretty short, the free updates and unique setting certainly make it worth a runthrough at least.

Also, it was interesting reading the postmortem on the game. Amazing what such a small group of developers managed to create: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4156/postmortem_ace_teams_zeno_clash.php

Looks interesting and I'll try the demo, but I may wind up waiting for the XBLA version as I really prefer a controller over the keyboard and mouse. :bomb:

[quote name='Full Metal XL']Looks interesting and I'll try the demo, but I may wind up waiting for the XBLA version as I really prefer a controller over the keyboard and mouse. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I believe it's possible to configure a 360 controller to work with the PC version...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I believe it's possible to configure a 360 controller to work with the PC version...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is a quick fix in the forums to make the 360 controller work great with the game.

Damn you Steam! I've been spending far too much money on games in the last month...that said, in for one ;)

My only PC is a netbook. I'll check out the XBLA version when it releases, though, have been curious about this one for months and months.
*edit*
Actually years, I think. I remember reading about this like a year ago and being 'Hey, that looks really cool!'. Never jumped on it though.

Snagged a copy as well - played the demo a while back and liked the style, but couldn't spend regular price @ the time, then fell off my radar until now! Thanks!!

Yeah. Steam is killing me lately. Yesterday mirror's edge, a couple of weeks ago mass effect. A couple of weeks before that l4d2. Today Zenoclash. They need to stop already.

Art style is awful, a stupid mishmash of whatever the artist thought was weird at the time and, naturally, he refused to throw away even ONE scrap of concept art he drew so the result was just a mess. The plot and characters didn't fare much better.

On the plus side, the game delivered an outstanding and unique first person brawler that didn't forget (Like so many modern beat-em-ups) what it is that makes a brawler fun.

Try the demo, if you don't like the combat, something's wrong with you. Otherwise, dig in. The price is most definitely right and you'll have a blast with it.

Only problems I can say is that it reused the fat-guy midboss way too much and the GRAVITY IS THE ENEMY, Z-AXIS CHALLENGE MAPS WHOO were all stupid as hell for not having the enemy take any falling damage at all.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']im sorry but that has to be one of the worst games i have EVER played[/QUOTE]

I'd say play some more bad games, but I have to agree that the demo really didn't impress. The graphics look awful for how poorly they perform on my machine relative to other games that look much better, the story (at least in the demo) obviously takes the short bus to school, and the gameplay is boring and annoying at the same time.

Why does everyone think this thing is so great? Not one of the worst games I've ever played unless we're talking top 50 or 100, but it's definitely playing that same, crappy sport.

Played through the demo, wasn't terribly impressed. I like the art style and am interested to explore the world they've made here but I didn't find the melee combat fun enough to do mostly just that through the entire game.

Well, if it helps, my problem is that I fricken LOVE brawlers so I'm weak against the esoteric, drug-addled, ridiculous action Zeno Clash provides.

This game is like paying $5 to see a Darren Aronofsky movie. You go in not knowing what to expect and come out wondering wtf you just saw. Then you're not sure if you loved or hated it, but decide it's best to just chalk another one up to artistic brilliance.

Seriously though, this game reminds me of Unreal with brawling.

bread's done
Back