52 Buckets - Update: October 22nd, 2010 - Week 42 Review: Paranormal Activity 2

gregthomas77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
As one of my New Years Resolutions, I have resolved to go see a new movie every week for all 52 weeks in 2010, and to write reviews for each one and blog them. The resolution is really more about making time for myself, and I think it will be fun. Anyways, I thought I would post a link to my blog here so others could both give me their opinions on the blog and read reviews as they come in (if your interested).

http://www.fiftytwobuckets.blogspot.com/

Update: October 22nd, 2010 - Week 42 Review: Paranormal Activity 2
Update: October 15th, 2010 - Week 41 Reviews: Jackass 3-D and Red
Update: October 14th, 2010 - Week 40 Review (of 52): My Soul to Take (2010)
Update: October 1st, 2010 - Week 39 Review (of 52): Let Me In (2010)
Update: September 30th, 2010 - Week 38 Review (of 52): Wall Street 2
Update: September 23rd, 2010 - Week 37 Review (of 52): Easy A (2010)
Update: 9/16/10 - Week 36 Review (of 52): Resident Evil: Afterlife 3-D (2010)
Update: September 9th, 2010 - Week 35 Review (of 52): Machete (2010)
Update: August 27th, 2010 - Week 34 Review (of 52) : The Last Exorcism (2010)
Update: August 22nd, 2010 - Week 33 Review (of 52): Piranha 3-D (2010)
Update: August 19th, 2010 - Week 32 Review (of 52): The Expendables (2010)
Update: August 12th, 2010 - Week 31 Review (of 52): The Other Guys (2010)
Update: August 5th, 2010 - Week 30 Review (of 52): Dinner for Schmucks (2010)
Update: July 25th, 2010 - Week 29 Review (of 52): Salt (2010)
Update: July 22nd, 2010 - Week 28 Review (of 52): Inception (2010)
Update: July 12th, 2010 - Week 27 Bonus Review: [REC] 2
Update: July 11th, 2010 - Week 27 Review (of 52): Predators (2010)
Update: July 8th, 2010 - Week 26 Review (of 52): Twilight (2010)
Update: July 1st, 2010 - Week 25 Review (of 52): Knight and Day (2010)
Update: June 24th, 2010 - Week 24 Review (of 52): Jonah Hex (2010)
Update: June 17th, 2010 - Week 23 Reviews: 80's Double Header
Update: June 12th, 2010 - SPECIAL REPORT: Mr. 52's Favorite 52 Movies
Update: June 4th, 2010 - Week 22 Review (of 52) posted: Splice (2010)
Update: June 3, 2010 - Week 21 review (of 52) posted: Prince of Persia (2010)
Update: May 27th, 2010 - Week 20 review (of 52) posted: MacGruber (2010)
Update: May 20th, 2010 - Week 19 review (of 52) posted: Robin Hood (2010)
Update: May 7th, 2010 - Week 18 Review (of 52) posted: Iron Man 2 (2010)
Update: May 6th, 2010 - Week 17 Review (of 52) posted: A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Update: April 28th, 2010 - Week 16 Review (of 52) posted: The Back Up Plan (2010)
Update: April 22nd, 2010 - Week 15 Review (of 52) posted: Kick Ass (2010)
Update: April 15th, 2010 - Week 14 Review (of 52) posted: Date Night (2010)
Update: April 2nd, 2010 - Week 13 Review (of 52) posted: Clash of the Titans (2010)
Update: March 26th, 2010 - Week 12 Review (of 52) posted: Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
Update: March 19th, 2010 - Week 11 Review (of 52) posted: Repo Men (2010)
Update: March 18th, 2010 - Week 10 Review (of 52) posted: Green Zone (2010)
Update: March 8th, 2010 - Week 9 Review (of 52) posted: Brooklyn's Finest (2010)
Update: March 4th, 2010 - Week 8 Review (of 52) posted: The Crazies (2010)
Update: February 20, 2010 - Week 7 Review (of 52) posted: Shutter Island (2010)
Update: February 18, 2010 - Week 6 Review (of 52) posted: The Wolfman (2010)
Update: February 8, 2010 - Week 5 Review (of 52) posted: From Paris with Love (2010)
Update: February 4, 2010 - Week 4 Review (of 52) posted: Edge of Darkness (2010)
Update: January 22, 2010 - Week 3 Review (of 52) posted: Legion (2010)
Update: January 21, 2010 - Week 2 review (of 52) posted: The Book of Eli (2010)
Update: January 9, 2010 - New BONUS Review - Up In The Air (2009)
Update: January 8, 2010 - Week 1 Review (of 52) posted: Daybreakers (2010)
Update: January 3, 2010 - New BONUS Review - Halloween II (2009)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a pretty cool idea, I'll follow for awhile and if we have the same tastes, you'll have a loyal reader for the year.

[quote name='mission42']Seems like a pretty cool idea, I'll follow for awhile and if we have the same tastes, you'll have a loyal reader for the year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Just reviewing a movie per week is already work enough. But to go to a theatre? Good luck dude.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its gonna be tough, especially since my job requires me to go out of town on the weekends fairly often. But, it should be a fun challenge.

Sounds like a good plan. I usually watch at least a movie a day, but a lot of time, its just background action for me.

i watched armored yesterday too! funny!

id suggest seeing Eat Drink an Woman. make sure more than half your choices are foreign. i see more amazing movies from than i ever see in america. just recently saw Rec ( the original version) the ending had one of the scariest/creepiest looking monsters ive seen in a movie in years. i was actually scared by it which is hard to come by from someone raised on horror films.

[quote name='lokizz']id suggest seeing Eat Drink an Woman. make sure more than half your choices are foreign. i see more amazing movies from than i ever see in america. just recently saw Rec ( the original version) the ending had one of the scariest/creepiest looking monsters ive seen in a movie in years. i was actually scared by it which is hard to come by from someone raised on horror films.[/QUOTE]

I've heard a lot of good things about REC, and I plan to see it. I am sure I will add the occasional foreign film,but I simply plan what looks to be the best new release of every week (which may mean missing out on some movies if too many good ones come out in the same week).

So for your resolution, it has to be a new movie and you have to watch it in theatres? I think that is gonna next to impossible to live up to. Now if you simply said you were gonna watch a new movie to you on DVD every week, I think you could do that.

Unless you have awesome theatres around you, you are gonna get stuck watching a lot of crappy movies.

Yeah, if he's in a big city he could do it as there's always indie films, foreign films, documentaries etc. to fill the void between decent hollywood flicks.

If he's in the boonies, it will be hard to do for sure, especially with all the crappy spring movies deemed unworthy of coming out in summer or the holidays.

Yeah, if he's in a big city he could do it as there's always indie films, foreign films, documentaries etc. to fill the void between decent hollywood flicks.

If he's in the boonies, it will be hard to do for sure, especially with all the crappy spring movies deemed unworthy of coming out in summer or the holidays.

[quote name='darthbudge']So for your resolution, it has to be a new movie and you have to watch it in theatres? I think that is gonna next to impossible to live up to. Now if you simply said you were gonna watch a new movie to you on DVD every week, I think you could do that.

Unless you have awesome theatres around you, you are gonna get stuck watching a lot of crappy movies.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it has to be a new movie and it has to be in theaters. We have quite a few theaters in town, and I probably will see some crappy movies.

I will probably also try to write up reviews for any dvd's I watch, but I am committing myself to 52 new (in their opening week, although not necessarily that weekend), in theater movies during the year.

Yeah, if you live some where with good theaters so you can get to indie films, foreign films and documentaries, then it will be very easy to do.

And I'll be envious as I have good theaters around me in Atlanta (probably not quite as good as in DC previously) and could do it if I had the time and energy. And I regret that I don't as I love movies and don't watch nearly as many as I'd like--though I aim to improve that some in the coming year.

[quote name='gregthomas77']I've heard a lot of good things about REC, and I plan to see it. I am sure I will add the occasional foreign film,but I simply plan what looks to be the best new release of every week (which may mean missing out on some movies if too many good ones come out in the same week).[/QUOTE]

Let The Right One In is another great foreign one. Don't rent it though, the cocksuckers that put the movie out on home video slacked off on the subtitles and refused to do a recall.

It's on Netflix streaming though, reportedly with the correct subtitles.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Let The Right One In is another great foreign one. Don't rent it though, the cocksuckers that put the movie out on home video slacked off on the subtitles and refused to do a recall.

It's on Netflix streaming though, reportedly with the correct subtitles.[/QUOTE]

that movie was awesome best of that genre ive seen in years. sucks that theyre doing a remake which will of course suck.

Halloween II was the shit. Not as loved as the first, but what always appealed to me was the representation of midwest neighborhoods, like those back alleys, backyards, etc. The kind of specific locales you don't see in movies. Like the first one, you just saw the front of houses and that one garage/laundryroom in the back of the place Annie babysat. Mmmm...Annie.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Update: January 8, 2010 - Week 1 Review (of 52) posted: Daybreakers (2010)[/QUOTE]

Nice review. I'm looking forward to seeing Daybreakers.

Edited title to reflect the most newest movie reviewed instead of the most recently reviewed movie. I figure people are probably more interested in review of new movies.

just saw this recently and i still am not sure did he just
memorize the bible or was it on his ipod or could he read braile?

[quote name='lokizz']just saw this recently and i still am not sure did he just
memorize the bible or was it on his ipod or could he read braile?
[/QUOTE]

He was blind
mindf*ck, huh?

[quote name='gregthomas77']
He was blind
mindf*ck, huh?[/QUOTE]

holy shit!!!!!
i thought he might be towards the end but looking back you cant tell especially when you compare it to the way that lind chick acted.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Let The Right One In is another great foreign one. Don't rent it though, the cocksuckers that put the movie out on home video slacked off on the subtitles and refused to do a recall.

It's on Netflix streaming though, reportedly with the correct subtitles.[/QUOTE]

They re-released it with correct subtitles. You can buy it at target.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I already did this pretty much last year and the year before. Good Luck OP.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I think everyone should strive to give Hollywood money at least once a week.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Thanks. I think everyone should strive to give Hollywood money at least once a week.[/QUOTE]

I would love to give Hollywood money each week, it's the writing a review part that I wouldn't be too good at :cry:

[quote name='Josef']I would love to give Hollywood money each week, it's the writing a review part that I wouldn't be too good at :cry:[/QUOTE]

Hey, I never claimed to be good at it. Luckily, this isn't my job.

[quote name='Josef']Nice review. I'm looking forward to seeing Daybreakers.[/QUOTE]

its worth seeing if you like vampire movies. very cool ending to it all too and one of the few original veiws on vampirism ive seen in a while.

[quote name='lokizz']its worth seeing if you like vampire movies. very cool ending to it all too and one of the few original veiws on vampirism ive seen in a while.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more :)

[quote name='gregthomas77']Review of Legion (2010) posted.[/QUOTE]

man this flick was serious letdown. from the cast to the story though the villan of the story was a cool twist and the
angel fight in the diner
was entertaining overall the film sucked. too many why the fuck would you do that moments and overall just boring. its one of those films you should care about the people in it but you dont.

hell i wanted to see more of the monsters and hopefully diff types. a perfectly good waste of Charles Dutton. oh yeah the
angel swarm
was really damn creepy in a cool way.

bread's done
Back