Newegg 640 gig hdd for ps3 WD 119.99 with FS, Samsung 99.99, Amazon 109.99 FS

For me it makes sense since my rockband space is like 8 gigs on its own. Plus all the games i have, i'm tired of juggling all the installs.

[quote name='Smallville123']actually im probably gonna buy it at amazon. its 109.99 there and i have a 25 dollar gc to them[/QUOTE]
not sure why you would do this

anyways, i have a 120 gig. i think i filled it to 30 gigs? maybe 40.

i have a long wait to go! :cool:

Some people use their PS3 as a media center, so that might be why.

That or they have a lot of games and decide to install every game.

No tax for Newegg if you don't live in California, Tennessee, or New Jersey.

Sadly, I do live in CA, and I have Amazon Prime (plus an Amazon CC), so if I buy one, I'd go with Amazon, though I'm not sure I need 640GB...

I recently bought a 250GB Samsung (got good reviews, otherwise I would have went with WD) off Newegg for $45 w/ FS. I think I got a steal, and 250GB is plenty for me.

I don't use my PS3 as a media center though, so if you do - 640 could fill up pretty quick.

Tempted to bite, but the last WD I got was DOA after installing it into my desktop for 2 hours ._. I'm sticking with samsung drives from now on.

(Also, wth at my Hitachi being 6 years old and still running?)

Great to see these coming down in price as I really need a new HDD for my laptop, but I think I might wait for it to go even lower.

i got a 500 gig and did not even fill a 1\4 of it.i guess its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have

[quote name='proatthis26']i got a 500 gig and did not even fill a 1\4 of it.i guess its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
Don't think I'd drop the 640 in there but definitely another 500 when I get my slim.

Stupid question I'm sure, but I just got a PS3 for Christmas (thank you girlfriend), and I don't know how to access what's on the hard drive. On the 360 I can see what's taking up space, and delete certain things. Is this possible on the PS3?

[quote name='aporter727']Stupid question I'm sure, but I just got a PS3 for Christmas (thank you girlfriend), and I don't know how to access what's on the hard drive. On the 360 I can see what's taking up space, and delete certain things. Is this possible on the PS3?[/QUOTE]
like what exactly?

usually, your installs and saves are located in the game section. Yep, right there in a folder you will find it.
Movies and music, you can just delete them on the spot.
Themes, i am not really sure.

the reason why i ever bothered with the hard drive access in my 360 was because its only 20 gig (what a handy tool option there microsoft). Yes, those gigs are so damn valuable for me. Lol only one game install and nothing else.:cry:

with 120 glorious gigs on my ps3, i just install my games/music and let them sit there. :drool:

I was about to get this drive but a couple of reviews on newegg say the drive is too slow and video stutters on it.

[quote name='Ocajavati']Some people use their PS3 as a media center, so that might be why.

That or they have a lot of games and decide to install every game.[/QUOTE]

Or those with lots of PSN games and DLC.

[quote name='Ocajavati']Some people use their PS3 as a media center, so that might be why.

That or they have a lot of games and decide to install every game.[/QUOTE]

Not to sound like a newb but how exactly do you install games to the PS3 . I have had mine since the Slim came out and I could never mind the feature ?

Installing games onto the hdd makes the game run faster, duh. Bayonetta is barely playable w/o the installation patch. To install the game, you'll need the install option in the game menu (not all games have it).

Good price OP, thanks. Might get another one just for media files. My 500gb is 60% used! I can't believe it...

I tried searching Bing to see if cashback was still around. searching "Western Digital" got me one freakin' percent.
Might anyone know of any magic words to pump that up higher?

Why does every hard drive thread for the PS3 or 360 draw at least 2 or 3 "why do people need that much space" questions? Not everyone just uses their system to play disc-based games without installing them (which, as someone pointed out, is a mandatory for numerous games on the PS3). As others have said, plenty of people download a lot of game content and/or use the system as a media center.

Amazon had it last week for for 89 bucks so I won't be surprised it will be back down there soon.

I think the highest you can get is 2% from BCB, shop through the store in Bing... Man, i should have retained that 10% coupon for this :( But then again, it was only good for max of $20 and I already have $16, still, another $4 down...

I have this 640G drive, works great. 5400 RPM like the original. My 60G kept running out of space, all the game demos and videos.

[quote name='Smallville123']actually im probably gonna buy it at amazon. its 109.99 there and i have a 25 dollar gc to them[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Amazon is known for their shoddy packaging when it comes to OEM HDDs. I've heard of far too many HDDs being received DOA.

When it comes to a HDD you really don't want to risk something like that because it might work fine at first and die on you later b/c of being banged around w/out proper packaging. Of course it will be covered by warranty, but it's just the inconvenience of losing your data that really sucks.

Newegg's packaging on the other hand is amazingly good.

Just my 2c on the matter.

[quote name='trogoldito']I'm not sure that's a good idea. Amazon is known for their shoddy packaging when it comes to OEM HDDs. I've heard of far too many HDDs being received DOA.

When it comes to a HDD you really don't want to risk something like that because it might work fine at first and die on you later b/c of being banged around w/out proper packaging. Of course it will be covered by warranty, but it's just the inconvenience of losing your data that really sucks.

Just my 2c on the matter.[/QUOTE]

I just got a bare HD from amazon and the packaging was fine(I work for UPS and know packaging ha). It had a huge chunk of foam all around it, better or as good as any retail packaging. It was also double boxed so unless each warehouse packages things differently I don't see a problem.

Also for me, amazon has a shipping facility in my city so it travels much less distance which is important too.

I got the WD 500 GB last year and have it about halfway full with demos, game installs and music. Worthy upgrade, just make sure you all also get a big external HDD to back up the PS3 HDD. 8 hours to back mine up.

How can you not have filled a 60/80GB drive yet? I don't even have music on mine, and hardly any demos, and mine has 150GB or so on it. I do have over 30 downloaded games, and I install every game if it has the option to (as it loads faster, why not?).

The friends I have that have the stock drive are constantly juggling games/installs for space. That is why you get a larger drive ... so you don't have to do that ever again.

I will probably be looking for another upgrade at some point, but my 320GB is holding out so far ;)

Trust me, it's a lot easier to upgrade now than later... Why? For one, it's easier to move data when you have just small amount of it. For two, if you have multiple accounts, it will be a pain, especially each account is tied to purchased contents.

60gb or 80gb is nothing... 120gb is not even adequate. 320gb probably okay for this or next year. 500gb, may last few years... 640gb is not a big leap from 500gb, so it doesn't worth the headache to upgrade if you already have a 500gb (i'm getting it as an external hdd).

Like i've said before, the PS3 works great with the Sony HD Camcorders, you can dump the AVCHD files onto the PS3 and free up the Camcorder's HDD space (repeat this few times and your PS3's HDD will be filled up very quickly). All this, nothing to install... I guess eventually, this will be done wirelessly.

Of course, you can use a media player for such purposes, but still... The PS3 allows you to copy, i.e. to a flash drive (very handy if your friend wants a particular divx). I also use the photo slide app on the PS3, very nice, impressed a lot of guests. External HDDs are great too, but i hate to plug it in (got lazier and lazier i guess :lol:).

I will need to move some files to an external hdd to free up the space on the PS3's hdd (60% used on a 500gb is no joke and i haven't even play Heavy Rain, FFXIII or even MGS4, which is ironic, since the PS3 is a gunmetal edition :lol:).

Thanks op, I bit and got it from newegg and it came with a free optical mouse! I just hope this is compatible with my 60gb ps3!

[quote name='trogoldito']I'm not sure that's a good idea. Amazon is known for their shoddy packaging when it comes to OEM HDDs. I've heard of far too many HDDs being received DOA.

Just my 2c on the matter.[/QUOTE]

I ended up with newegg cause its cheaper even with tax

[quote name='Hennessy']Thanks op, I bit and got it from newegg and it came with a free optical mouse! I just hope this is compatible with my 60gb ps3![/QUOTE]

how did u get a free mouse?

[quote name='Smallville123']how did u get a free mouse?[/QUOTE]

When you add the hard drive to your "shopping cart", the free mouse will automatically be added to your cart as well.

Thanks OP!! Just ordered one from Newegg.. time to upgrade the original 60GB drive (got tired of deleting stuff on it to download new stuff)..

Much appreciated!!

That's a great deal, but I already have a 320gb hdd for my ps3.

And I'm too lazy to move the files around, because I have alot of junk on that hdd!

[quote name='MattVid']How can you not have filled a 60/80GB drive yet? I don't even have music on mine, and hardly any demos, and mine has 150GB or so on it. I do have over 30 downloaded games, and I install every game if it has the option to (as it loads faster, why not?).

The friends I have that have the stock drive are constantly juggling games/installs for space. That is why you get a larger drive ... so you don't have to do that ever again.

I will probably be looking for another upgrade at some point, but my 320GB is holding out so far ;)[/QUOTE]
By not playing many PS3 games. My launch 60GB still had 14GB of free space before I decided to put my spare 250GB drive in it this past weekend, and about 4 of those GB were on two TV episodes that I accidentally bought before remembering they were on Hulu.

bread's done
Back