God of War III now 720p, variable frame rate.

limelight022

CAGiversary!
Feedback
69 (99%)
So much for, "The power of the PS3"...:cry:

Link
This is the end of another game that was supposed to support 1080p natively... trading it for 720p native with an ability to upscale to 1080p.
That feat was talked about. And it was talked about a LOT. In the end, It's either the PS3 not having the juice for it, or SCE Santa Monica not having the juice...maker that is to blame.
Whichever it is, it doesn't matter, really. It's just a sad end to what could've been a definitive visual showcase... now it'll just have to settle with "impressive".

The news were delivered by Jeff Rubenstein, SCEA Social Media Manager, via the comments section of the PlayStation Blog. Another thing to note is that according to according to Stig Asmussen, game director, the game will also have a variable frame rate - ranging from 30 at the least to 60 at the most depending on the action happening on-screen.
Well, at least it surely won't stall while I'm ripping off yet another head, eh?

I didn't expect it to be 1080p to be honest. 720p is what most games are anyway. Some are more than 720p, and yes some is less. Although it being at 720p is fine. I couldn't name 10 games that is truly 1080p anyway. I remember reading on a thread, and I thought it was really funny. A guy posted, and said most PS3 games was just 720p, and all 360 games was 1080p. What he doesn't know is that means it upscales it. It don't mean its truly 1080p, and he thought it did...

Its going to run in some resolution that ends up in 1080p to upscale to 1920x1080p. Dont care as long as it does. And dont be sad about it OP, its still going to look better then anything on the 360 and nothing on the 360 for the life of the console will look anywhere near as good. So dry those tears buddy.

It isnt so much the resolution, but the frame rate differences. GoW and part 2 were already excellent games on ps2, but playing it at 60fps made it THE version to play on ps3. To me, it made a remarkable game that much better with that lil' improvement.

Regardless, the demo was fantastic, and im sure the full version will follow the same pattern.

I did not plan on buying a 1080p television anytime soon. Heck I still don't own a HDTV. I rather go with 720p anyway since its cheaper and most HD media is 720p.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Uncharted 2 is not 60fps, and it was great. The Destructiod article confirmed that the new demo was even better than the E3 demo.

Next gen should be 1080p 60fps (hopefully), but this gen has been great so far.

[quote name='msdmoney']Who cares, most hd games on consoles are 720p.[/QUOTE]

There are quite a few major titles that arent even HD, like Halo, Call of Duty, Ninja Gaiden 2 (xbox 360 version is non-HD, Sigma 2 PS3 is true 720p), etc. This gen was never about 1080p for gaming, although the PS3 has ~5-6 times the amount of 1080p games as the 360.

[quote name='blitz6speed']There are quite a few major titles that arent even HD, like... Ninja Gaiden 2 (xbox 360 version is non-HD, Sigma 2 PS3 is true 720p)[/QUOTE]

Say what?

Anyway, I love my gaming PC for true 1080p :drool:

I can't wait to play God Of War III(once it drops to $30 used)in full.......480i.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't give a shit what resolution it's in, as long as it runs great and isn't a buggy piece of crap. Hopefully the extra time it's been delayed(March/April now)has been used to assure that there's no screen tearing or other issues that the PS2 games suffered from.

[quote name='blitz6speed']There are quite a few major titles that arent even HD, like Halo, Call of Duty, Ninja Gaiden 2 (xbox 360 version is non-HD, Sigma 2 PS3 is true 720p), etc. This gen was never about 1080p for gaming, although the PS3 has ~5-6 times the amount of 1080p games as the 360.[/QUOTE]
Is there a source for this? I've always been curious as to which games are in 720p, 1080p, or under 720p. Like another poster said, I heard Halo 3 and MW2 are in 620p or something like that.

I found this: http://www.makeyougohmm.com/ps3-1080p-games/
http://www.makeyougohmm.com/xbox360-1080p-games/

but it's outdated by at least a year(PS3 list is outdated by 2 years).

[quote name='msdmoney']Who cares, most hd games on consoles are 720p.[/QUOTE]

That's not true at all. Almost every PS3 game is 720p, yes. But most 360 games run in 1080i.

[quote name='Matt Young']That's not true at all. Almost every PS3 game is 720p, yes. But most 360 games run in 1080i.[/QUOTE]

Theres a difference between a game being 1080p and it just running in it. If you look at all 360 games it says 720p,1080i,1080p when some games isn't even 720p... All that means is you can run it in that resolution. It doesn't mean it is actually 1080p for example. It just stretches the image.

It astounds me that some people are okay seeing this game in 480 i or 720P. That is like eating filet minge on when you are sick an you can't taste anything. Sure you are getting to eat filet minge on but to truly appreciate it you should have all of you're taste buds firing on all cylinders. The same analogy is true for High Def video games. PS3 was touted as having the graphical advantage over XBOX 360 and yet most of their system exlcusives (I.E. God Of War III) don't maximize the systems potential. Developers should take extra time especially with an exlusive flagship franchise such as this to make sure it something other system owners would salivate at when they play it. I own a Playstation 3 and an XBOX 360 and I would say PS3 has inferior graphics on every game which is on both systems (I.E. Bayonetta, The Orange Box, Fallout 3 etc). God of War 1 and 2's graphics were the absolute best on PS2 and now it seems like Santa Monica studios doesn't care to continue to push the same envelope that got them here. We are in the 3rd or 4th year of the next gen console cycle and it is ridiculous that developers can not produce a game like this in 1080P. We sit and sink all of this money into 1080P 240 HZ tv's and HD cables to have a top tier title that doesn't maximize that capability is garbage. I'm not saying sacrifice gameplay for graphics but in year 4 of a console you should be able to do both, Kratos deserves better. And to all of you that say 720P is the norm that is false most great titles like Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Gears Of War 2 are 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='barchi01']It astounds me that some people are okay seeing this game in 480 i or 720P. That is like eating filet minge on when you are sick an you can't taste anything. Sure you are getting to eat filet minge on but to truly appreciate it you should have all of you're taste buds firing on all cylinders. The same analogy is true for High Def video games. PS3 was touted as having the graphical advantage over XBOX 360 and yet most of their system exlcusives (I.E. God Of War III) don't maximize the systems potential. Developers should take extra time especially with an exlusive flagship franchise such as this to make sure it something other system owners would salivate at when they play it. I own a Playstation 3 and an XBOX 360 and I would say PS3 has inferior graphics on every game which is on both systems (I.E. Bayonetta, The Orange Box, Fallout 3 etc). God of War 1 and 2's graphics were the absolute best on PS2 and now it seems like Santa Monica studios doesn't care to continue to push the same envelope that got them here. We are in the 3rd or 4th year of the next gen console cycle and it is ridiculous that developers can not produce a game like this in 1080P. We sit and sink all of this money into 1080P 240 HZ tv's and HD cables to have a top tier title that doesn't maximize that capability is garbage. I'm not saying sacrifice gameplay for graphics but in year 4 of a console you should be able to do both, Kratos deserves better. And to all of you that say 720P is the norm that is false most great titles like Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Gears Of War 2 are 1080p.[/QUOTE]

I can't belie.....

:lol::lol:

Seriously though, not all of us have 'sunk all of this money into HDtv's and HD cables', which is why all three console manufacturers understood that this gen and only provided composite cables for people to use with their systems.

If you have an HDtv, that's great for you, but many of us are too broke(cheap in my case) to plunk down all that extra cash for a prettier picture when we're not going to be using the tv for much other than gaming and maybe a couple hours of tv a night.

So please, stop trying to think you speak for every game console owner in saying that 'zomg HD is absolutely needed'. It's not. Competent developers who make games that don't crash and not copying the shit out of existing franchises and making the same 3-4 game experiences over and over are the only things that're needed.

Oh and btw...it's spelled filet mignon. :razz:

as long as its 720p i dont really notice a difference. however lower than that yes i do. id be more concerned about the resolution really. id like to see a ps3 game past 1200x700 and go for the 1900x1000 for a change.

also if you dont have a hdtv and you game or watch tv at home..shame on you! just missing out so much compared to the old tvs. some shows even look bad on the old format because those shows are native in hd. clone was for example looks awful on my folks crt but in hd it's still a crappy story but like starwars is meant to be,jaw dropping graphics :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']as long as its 720p i dont really notice a difference. however lower than that yes i do. id be more concerned about the resolution really. id like to see a ps3 game past 1200x700 and go for the 1900x1000 for a change.

also if you dont have a hdtv and you game or watch tv at home..shame on you! just missing out so much compared to the old tvs. some shows even look bad on the old format because those shows are native in hd. clone was for example looks awful on my folks crt but in hd it's still a crappy story but like starwars is meant to be,jaw dropping graphics :)[/QUOTE]

:razz: Again, I don't give a shit what a game or show looks like as long as it's fun and I'm entertained. You obviously didn't grow up in the 70's and 80's when you had 4-5 local channels and had to use rabbit ears on your tv to get in those few meager stations.

To me, as long as my tv is a bit better than it was in those days, I'm content.:)

I tried using coax/RF switch on an older tv, rather than move my newer tv down here just to be able to hook it up via the composite cables. However, the screen was very dark on an RF switch and I couldn't see a single piece of text with it.

I've played the demo, and while it's not exactly the final version, it is a good indicator of how the game will handle. I've noticed that most of the game ran at around 40 fps, and sometimes even pausing, probably to load something.
The game is anti-aliased and very smooth, so even if the picture is stretched and you are standing near the TV, it's hard to notice it's not running at native resolution since everything is moving. Like everyone has been saying on the forum, it's not totally unexpected, but it would have been a nice-to-have.

[quote name='barchi01']It astounds me that some people are okay seeing this game in 480 i or 720P. That is like eating filet minge on when you are sick an you can't taste anything. Sure you are getting to eat filet minge on but to truly appreciate it you should have all of you're taste buds firing on all cylinders. The same analogy is true for High Def video games. PS3 was touted as having the graphical advantage over XBOX 360 and yet most of their system exlcusives (I.E. God Of War III) don't maximize the systems potential. Developers should take extra time especially with an exlusive flagship franchise such as this to make sure it something other system owners would salivate at when they play it. I own a Playstation 3 and an XBOX 360 and I would say PS3 has inferior graphics on every game which is on both systems (I.E. Bayonetta, The Orange Box, Fallout 3 etc). God of War 1 and 2's graphics were the absolute best on PS2 and now it seems like Santa Monica studios doesn't care to continue to push the same envelope that got them here. We are in the 3rd or 4th year of the next gen console cycle and it is ridiculous that developers can not produce a game like this in 1080P. We sit and sink all of this money into 1080P 240 HZ tv's and HD cables to have a top tier title that doesn't maximize that capability is garbage. I'm not saying sacrifice gameplay for graphics but in year 4 of a console you should be able to do both, Kratos deserves better. And to all of you that say 720P is the norm that is false most great titles like Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Gears Of War 2 are 1080p.[/QUOTE]
ROFL - the native resolutions for MW2 and Gears of War 2 are 600p and 720p respectively. :roll:

[quote name='Darknyss']ROFL - the native resolutions for MW2 and Gears of War 2 are 600p and 720p respectively. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Ignorance is BLISS.

I couldn't care less about 720p vs 1080p, but the variable framerate will annoy me. It's not hard to tell when a game drops frames, and because of this I always prefer a solid framerate over a fluctuating one. One example of this is Bioshock on PS3, the frame unlimiter option was nice, but it turned out to be annoying with the game going from 60 back to 30 every few seconds.

Not unexpected. This gen is all about compromise...as in, hyping shit to hell, then gradually lowering expectations as launch gets closer. Judging by the demo, this "variable framerate" = 60fps when it's pitch black on the screen and 20fps in combat, like GOW 1 and 2 on PS2.

[quote name='ninja dog']Judging by the demo, this "variable framerate" = 60fps when it's pitch black on the screen and 20fps in combat, like GOW 1 and 2 on PS2.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't bode well for Team Ico then.

complete ridiculousness. Id bet money the dummies crying about it only rendering 720p natively couldn't differentiate between the resolutions theyre upset about.

Im still baffled by how little people understand display technology, specifically the bearing of resolution on the overall picture.

[quote name='paz9x']complete ridiculousness. Id bet money the dummies crying about it only rendering 720p natively couldn't differentiate between the resolutions theyre upset about.

Im still baffled by how little people understand display technology, specifically the bearing of resolution on the overall picture.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the fact that how pretty a game is this gen is taking over for how much FUN it is to play has proven to me that gaming is heading in the wrong direction.

If you play a game based on how pretty it is, go buy some Blu-Rays and stop gaming because you're missing the point of gaming.

I don't know, Cheapest. After playing through many of the games on the Genesis Collection, I've come to the conclusion that games are much better now than they were 10+ years ago. Streets of Rage 3 literally took me 30 minutes to beat, and it's a side-scrolling button masher.

When it comes to sports games, though, I agree with you. The more realistic controls have made for a more frustrating experience. The first NBA Street was the only game that approached Baseball Stars and Tecmo Bowl/Super Bowl in multiplayer in the fun department. It fell short in single player, but still. This generation needs to figure out dynasty modes, though. Madden feels stripped in comparison to last generation's mode, as an example. Basketball dynasty modes leave much to be desired across the board.

While games are better(graphics wise anyway)than they were 10+ years ago, there are some companies that just release any old pos and then patch the ever living shit out of the game(s) till they're 'fixed'(or the company moves onto the next iteration).

Another thing that bothers me is all of the clones of games. There are too many games that're copies of others.

Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, God Of War III. GTA, Saint's Row, Crackdown, Red Faction.

While each of those games have some things that may make them slightly different from the others in each grouping, it's like playing the same fuckin' game 20 times over.

But I guess developers have to go with what's proven, since trying anything new may lead to poor sales and their demise(in their minds anyway).

LOOK! Have you been paying ANY attention at all?! We're seeing, quite CLEARLY, that this gen. of systems can't do 1080p competantly in any fashion in 3D with all sorts of effects and other features turned on. It's the hardware but if you want a native 1080p game with almost no buffering, anti-aliasing and all that shit going on be my guest.
Don't get me wrong, I was one of the first people bitching about the fact 1080p was off the table but I've realized the hardware for this gen. is just too weak. It sounded great at first, what with the jump to 512 MB. RAM. and V-RAM. Just adding the effects and the polish takes up some RAM, especially the things like AA.
What we've come down to is 720p, which can be dependably done if you're allowed to optimize on a system I believe. The ISSUE, however, is most devs. aren't doing that and instead using multi-platform tools in which you lose power for each piece of hardware in the process in exchange for the ease of use factor. At least this is the result I think.
Look at the PS3 in general for almost all of their in house product and exclusive product they've paid for, it's either 720 or 1080p native, period. The only exception off the top of my head is the first R&C and it missed the 720p mark just BARELY if you look at the res. By contrast, look at Halo 3 which is MS in house or any of the multiplatform games like COD4. It's likely if Infinity Ward really made the effort on optimizing for both systems they'd be 720p and also not this pseudo WS res. bullshit.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess'] I've come to the conclusion that games are much better now than they were 10+ years ago. [/QUOTE]

*sigh*

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']While games are better(graphics wise anyway)than they were 10+ years ago, there are some companies that just release any old pos and then patch the ever living shit out of the game(s) till they're 'fixed'(or the company moves onto the next iteration).

Another thing that bothers me is all of the clones of games. There are too many games that're copies of others.

Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, God Of War III. GTA, Saint's Row, Crackdown, Red Faction.

While each of those games have some things that may make them slightly different from the others in each grouping, it's like playing the same fuckin' game 20 times over.

But I guess developers have to go with what's proven, since trying anything new may lead to poor sales and their demise(in their minds anyway).[/QUOTE]

I get the point that you're trying to make, but seriously, I'd hardly consider playing GTA and Crackdown "the same fuckin game". Same goes for Red Faction; if it was just like GTA and Crackdown, it wouldn't be terrible.

1080p is still somewhat difficult to achieve on PC, and I have a Nvidia 260gtx. I can run Batman Arkham Asylum perfectly, but Mass Effect lags a little bit. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

[quote name='Strell']*sigh*[/QUOTE]

I would rank this gen pretty high in satisfactory level. Online gaming has taken things up so high that its just ridiculous to look back to the old days where you had to had everyone in the same room to play. When arcades were thriving, it was ok, everyone had a central meet spot. Those are long dead and online is where its at.

Heck, SF4 alone makes this my fav gen so far. I have hundreds of hours on ps3/360 versions each, and lets not discuss MW2, i have over 100 hours on the PS3 one already. My cousins and i all play together online and it is a blast. We're all old now and live apart, we cannot have a day where we all meet once a week with our busy schedules just to play some games. But an hour or so every few nights online, that is 100% do-able.

Really, it is a great gen and its just going to get better. Its also going to be one of the longest gens in gaming history. Which is nothing but good unless you're some kind of graphics whore who needs bleeding edge, but that is the minority of this gen obviously. I am super happy with how much power the ps3/360 have and the online on both work great. I just hope we can get another 4 years before they even announce another system.

I actually dig the "sit in the same room and play co-op" gameplay, as it gives off a much different and more interactive vibe from a disembodied voice over the TV/earpiece (mainly, better trash talk). I may prefer that because of my age; it's what I grew up doing. I like playing sports games in person with my uncle, as an example - it doesn't have the same oomph playing online against him.

What I feel sets this gen apart from the first few gens is the higher number of decent to good games. Every generation has and had games that are played well past that generation's lifespan - this generation doesn't really have an edge in this department over any previous generation (kind of early to declare that, I know, but it's going to be hard to beat what's come before it). What it does have, and especially in comparison to pre 2000, is a higher number of competent games, with those competent games having a higher standard of average than, say, a Genesis title. I've said generation way too many times.

IATCG, I agree that's it's a bummer that games are seemingly getting rushed without proper Q & A. Thankfully, the games can get patched, but it'd be nice if games weren't rushed to begin with.

[quote name='lolwut?']I get the point that you're trying to make, but seriously, I'd hardly consider playing GTA and Crackdown "the same fuckin game". Same goes for Red Faction; if it was just like GTA and Crackdown, it wouldn't be terrible.[/QUOTE]

I preferred Red Faction to GTA for many things, but I still play GTA, while RF:G has sat and collected dust since I completed the DLC I picked up for it(prequel levels).

I've never played Crackdown because I don't have a 360(yet), but from what I've seen of it it's in the same vein(imo). It's a free roaming sandbox type game.

bread's done
Back