Apple ipad

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
The Iphone released with 4/8gb & is now at 16/32gb. Ipod Touch at 8/16gb and now 32/64gb. So maybe we will see Ipad go from 16/32/64gb up to 64/128/256gb eventually. But does anyone know the pricepoint of original Iphone/Ipod Touch compared to them now? Current Ipod Touch prices 8gb $200 32gb $300 64gb $400.

articleLarge.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU6isGR3PaM

Details:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/technology/companies/28apple.html
The half-inch thick, 1.5-pound device will feature a 9.7-inch multitouch screen and is powered by a custom Apple microchip, called the A4. The iPad will have the same operating system as the iPhone and access to its 140,000 applications.

However, the device does not have a camera and lacks the ability to make phone calls. It is not able to work with the ubiquitous Flash software that runs many Web sites. Apple is selling accessories that include a stand and a keyboard.

But perhaps the most significant iPad application was its own, called iBooks, an electronic bookstore that turns the iPad into a direct competitor to Amazon’s Kindle. Apple said it would sell books in the open ePub format. That conceivably means that e-books sold by Apple would also run on other devices that support ePub, like the Sony Reader and Barnes & Noble’s Nook.

Mr. Jobs said Apple has entered relationships with five major publishers — Hachette, Penguin, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster and Macmillan — and was eager to establish relationships with others, including textbook publishers.

Gerry Purdy, an independent analyst who keeps a close eye on the e-reader industry, said, “Reading a book on an iPad isn’t necessarily going to be that much better — a whole lot better; it will still be in black and white. The Kindle still represents a good vehicle for people who only want an e-reader.”

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...e_puts_an_end_to_tablet_rumors_with_ipad.html

The iPad falls between a laptop and smartphone, according to Apple, with the device capable of doing many of the same things an iPhone can but on a larger, 9.7-inch LCD screen. The tablet is a half-inch thick, weighs 1.5 pounds, and comes in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities.

The 16GB model starts at $499, with the 32GB iPad available for $599 and the 64GB configuration costing $699. Those models will include Wi-Fi connectivity; Apple will also offer 3G-equipped iPads for $130 more.

Look for the iPad to begin shipping in 60 days, with 3G models to follow a month later.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']We had a thread on this earlier that got closed for whatever reason.

It's a larger iPod Touch...[/QUOTE]

The reason was it was a crappy device.

No reason to talk about a giant iPod Touch

so.....a larger version of my iphone that cannot be upgraded, no media drive, has no real OS, but runs about the same price as a decent laptop? i'd wait for at least a 6-8 months. by then the bugs should be worked out, better support and newer model(s) will be out/coming out as well as competator tablets as well. as i said on another thread about this, why not just get an internet tablet like an archos5/7/ or the new android tablets? may be smaller, but cheaper and does all things the ipad boasts- base model starts at 299 with a 60gb hdd :)

[quote name='manthing']The reason was it was a crappy device.

No reason to talk about a giant iPod Touch[/QUOTE]

It must not be worth discussing since you say so...while its not a revolutionary device by any means and is essentially a giant ipod touch, that doesn't mean its worthless. I love the app store-there are countless games for 1 to 2 bucks that are very fun. I'd be getting this thing almost exclusively for the app's and look forward to having the bigger screen and processor. They can make some kick ass games on this thing. 500 bucks isn't a horrible price for a jumbo ipod.

People saying there are better alternatives for tablets do not place the same value on the app store that I, and many others, do. No other device will have access to the 140000k apps. I'm not looking for a computer out of this thing- I'm looking more forward to the multimedia content it delivers. Like slingbox, siriusxm player, interactive newspapers/magazines, and unique games. I'm not saying anyone who doesn't love the app store has something the matter with them, but I really think to appreciate the value of this thing you've got to appreciate apps.

Ya it's not that great and too expensive, which is why I'm trying to figure out how cheap it may get if I pick one up 3 years from now. $300 for a 64 gb by then?

[quote name='caltab']It must not be worth discussing since you say so...while its not a revolutionary device by any means and is essentially a giant ipod touch that doesn't mean its worthless. [/QUOTE]

So I guess having a screen less than 3x bigger screen-wise is worth more than double the price?

And let's not forget that the iPad is nowhere revolutionary.

im wondering how well it will be for an ebook reader. LED backlit makes me want to try it out before i decide between it & and kindle...and tbh i want my downloaded pdfs to read. I know I can email them to myself but it would be nice to have iTunes sync that up to save the page im viewing.

Its expensive just like the kindle dx but its competitively priced.
Kindle DX 489, iPad 499.

i guess its good for watching movies on a plane since I dont like busting out my macbook for that...but thats definitely no reason to spend 500$. apple likes to use revolutionary like mcdonalds uses 'im lovin it' doesn't mean your loving it or its gonna change the world...just their catch phrases/words.

I'm very interested in a multimedia tablet personally. I already have a laptop provided by work to go along with my office PC, so I really have no need for a netbook.

But I'd like something smaller and lighter than my 15" Thinkpad for travel etc. where I just need internet, e-mail, video, e-books, games etc. for a short trip, afternoon at the coffee shop etc.

Even more, I want something that I can read scholarly journal articles, magazine articles etc. on a large screen and mark them up with a stylus (the articles, not the mags) like I do print outs of PDFs now. It sucks reading them on a laptop/netbook. But it also sucks lugging marked-up printouts around when I'm working on an article, class lecture etc.

I love my Kindle for reading novels, but I need something with a bigger screen and stylus mark up to make the switch to e-versions for my academic work.

For the iPad the pros I see are:

-Great Screen
-Nice form factor--very thin, 1.5 pounds so it will be easy and comfotable to hold and read etc. Much more so than trying to read on a laptop or netbook
-Good price. I expected much more than $499 for the low end model (and 16GB and no 3G would be fine for me in a tablet)
-Very good battery life for this kind of device if their 10 hours of video watching claim is true
-Keyboard dock for when you need to do more text entry than can easily be done with the onscreen keyboard

But the Cons for me are:

-No stylus support built in, so likely it won't fit my need for marking up academic PDFs
-No Multitasking. Lame, would want to listen to music while reading, have a web window open while marking up an article to allow searching for other articles etc.
-Lack of flash--means no hulu and some other video sites.

But in all, it's better than I expected price, battery life, and size/screen wise for a first gen tablet device. The price and battery life should really put pressure on other tablet/slate manufactures to put out product that match it and improve upon it by adding stylus support, multitasking etc.

So I'll be very interested to see what else rolls out on the tablet front from other companies in the next year or so to compete with this. Particuarly stuff aimed more at the academic/business user. There's the Plastic Logic Que--but it's overpriced, and being e-ink would be limited to only suiting my reading needs and not able to do other stuff.

And seeing what this tablet can do kind of killed my interest in a large screen e-ink device. Might as well wait for a tablet like this that does all I need to come out, than to spend even more on a large screen e-ink device that I'd only use for my academic reading.

[quote name='J7.']Ya it's not that great and too expensive, which is why I'm trying to figure out how cheap it may get if I pick one up 3 years from now. $300 for a 64 gb by then?[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? You expect someone here to know what the price of this thing will be 3 fucking years from now?

You'll be lucky if you'll even be using something as small as 64GB in 3 years, let alone a device like this for that matter.

[quote name='naiku']im wondering how well it will be for an ebook reader. LED backlit makes me want to try it out before i decide between it & and kindle...and tbh i want my downloaded pdfs to read. I know I can email them to myself but it would be nice to have iTunes sync that up.
Kindle DX 489, iPad 499.

i guess its good for watching movies on a plane since I dont like busting out my macbook for that...but thats definitely no reason to spend 500$. apple likes to use revolutionary like mcdonalds uses 'im lovin it' doesn't mean shit.[/QUOTE]

i don't think anything without e-ink technology can be a very good ebook reader. Computer screens just arent good for long term reading. Where i think there is potential is in interactive magazines/newspapers and things like graphic novels that you don't need to spend hours staring at.

I don't even see how people would even compare this to eReaders. The whole point of those is that it's not an LCD screen. It's like saying "I'm releasing this 13 gallon trashcan. It can hold your leftovers like your tupperware!"

And what about the battery life?

[quote name='elessar123']I don't even see how people would even compare this to eReaders. The whole point of those is that it's not an LCD screen. It's like saying "I'm releasing this 13 gallon trashcan. It can hold your leftovers like your tupperware!"

And what about the battery life?[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to be 10 hours for movies....and ya I get what your saying about the comparison to ereaders that use e-ink. I think the idea though is that they reinvent how the content is delivered, like the NY Times example where you can personalize it and stream video fromt he article as you read.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Are you serious? You expect someone here to know what the price of this thing will be 3 fucking years from now?

You'll be lucky if you'll even be using something as small as 64GB in 3 years, let alone a device like this for that matter.[/QUOTE]

Easy there. We can extrapolate based on Ipod Touch/Iphone pricepoints and memory sizes. You'll see they quadrupled memory on the low and top end Ipod Touches & Iphones while decreasing price by $100-$200. Not farfetched to think a $300 64 gb ipad is a possibility in 2013. It's just possibilities not expecting to get exactly what I want.

So, Apple's trying to kill the Netbook with a device that doesn't do Multitasking, doesn't do Flash, and doesn't have USB ports. Call me crazy, but I could see this being a large misstep for Apple.

[quote name='caltab']i don't think anything without e-ink technology can be a very good ebook reader. Computer screens just arent good for long term reading. Where i think there is potential is in interactive magazines/newspapers and things like graphic novels that you don't need to spend hours staring at.[/QUOTE]

About time they did that, would be perfect for a gaming mag/site.

[quote name='naiku']im wondering how well it will be for an ebook reader. LED backlit makes me want to try it out before i decide between it & and kindle...and tbh i want my downloaded pdfs to read. I know I can email them to myself but it would be nice to have iTunes sync that up to save the page im viewing.
[/QUOTE]

It should be a pretty good e-reader. E-ink is easy on the eyes (as easy as paper). But LED is pretty good on the eyes as well. If you're an avid reader who's reading for hours and end nearly every day, the e-ink is probably still the way to go.

If you're just reading here and there and seldom more than an hour or two, then an LED (or even LCD) sceen should be fine.

It should have a lot of eBook options since I assume it will have apps for the Kindle store (like the iPhone/iTouch already does) etc. vs. being tied to the Kindle or Sony store ( along with non-drm sources of courses) with dedicated readers.

[quote name='naiku']
Kindle DX 489, iPad 499.
[/QUOTE]

It's not just competively priced, it makes the Kindle DX look like a rip off. The DX is already not very good for PDFs (table of contents don't work, no annotation ability etc.) and all it can do is display e-books. 2GB of storage, etc.

Vs. spend $10 more and get 16GB of storage, access to various e-book stores, full featured web browsing, e-mail, games, HD video, access to the APP store etc. etc.

This particular tablet doesn't fit my needs, So I'll hold off. But it's killed any chance that I buy a large screen e-ink device like the Kindle DX or Plastic Logic Que.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It should be a pretty good e-reader. E-ink is easy on the eyes (as easy as paper). But LED is pretty good on the eyes as well. If you're an avid reader who's reading for hours and end nearly every day, the e-ink is probably still the way to go.
.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I just have sensitive eyes, but e-ink and LED or any computer screen are NOT even remotely comparable. E-ink is almost identical to reading a book and also consumes like no power so lasts a really long time. The difference in eye strain is huge.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

It's not just competively priced, it makes the Kindle DX look like a rip off.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're near a free wi-fi point every minute of the day, I don't see how this is even a real argument.

The Kindle includes free 3G access wherever and whenever you want it. To even *access* AT&T's wireless network, you need to spend $130 more upfront.

How is this even a valid argument again?

[quote name='manthing']Unless you're near a free wi-fi point every minute of the day, I don't see how this is even a real argument.

The Kindle includes free 3G access wherever and whenever you want it. To even *access* AT&T's wireless network, you need to spend $130 more upfront.

How is this even a valid argument again?[/QUOTE]

The only thing the kindles 3g access lets you do is buy a book, its not like you can serf the web or do anything else on it and there is no access to wifi period, so its the only way to buy something. You aren't really getting any use out of it. I wouldn't spend the extra for 3g on this thing, but comparing it to the Kindle's "free" 3g is a pretty ridiculous thing to do when all it does is let you buy a book.

It's badass and the haters know it. In 2-3 years every computer maker will have their version of this device.

This is the device that has been in sci-fi movies as the future of computers.

I too wish it could do more.

[quote name='manthing']Unless you're near a free wi-fi point every minute of the day, I don't see how this is even a real argument.

How is this even a valid argument again?[/QUOTE]

But you can't really do much of anything with the Kindle on 3G other than just downloading books. The web browser is slow, clunky and all around useless. E-ink is just too slow ans limited for the web, and the processors in e-ink readers aren't very powerful.

Even the Kindle store on the Kindle is painful. It's much easier to browse and buy online and just turn on the Wireless on the Kindle to download your new items vs. trying to buy through the store on the device.

I love my Kindle, but it does nothing but display e-books, as that's all it's designed to do.

For a multimedia tablet, I don't need 3G as I am always near a WiFi hot spot as I live in a major city. I'd mainly use it at home on the couch and in the office reading anyway (wifi both places). So most days I am near a WiFi hot spot every minute aside from driving, working out, shopping etc. when I don't need access anyway.

So it's really kind of moot for the most part. If you're in a metro area, there's wifi all over the place these days. And if you're not, 3G coverage probably sucks if it's available at all anyway.

[quote name='caltab']The only thing the kindles 3g access lets you do is buy a book, its not like you can serf the web or do anything else on it and there is no access to wifi period, so its the only way to buy something. You aren't really getting any use out of it. I wouldn't spend the extra for 3g on this thing, but comparing it to the Kindle's "free" 3g is a pretty ridiculous thing to do when all it does is let you buy a book.[/QUOTE]

No more than justifying the $300+ premium over a similar iPod Touch when it offers similar functionality outside of iWorks

I live in a more metro area than you, dmaul.

FREE Wi-Fi isn't as pervasive as you think.

[quote name='caltab']Maybe I just have sensitive eyes, but e-ink and LED or any computer screen are NOT even remotely comparable. E-ink is almost identical to reading a book and also consumes like no power so lasts a really long time. The difference in eye strain is huge.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a big difference over a long period of reading. But if you're not a book worm and are seldom reading for more than 30-60 minutes, it's not that big a deal.

I also don't have very sensitive eyes. Being an academic (and growing up in the PC age hobby wise) I'm staring at a PC screen 8 hours 6 or 7 days a week most weeks between working on class prep, working on research, writing papers, e-mail, goofing online, watching TV shows, etc. So my eyes are pretty used to it.

Like I said, I'd probably still keep my Kindle around for leisure reading as I do sometimes read for a few hours straight, and the battery life is outstanding.

But I'd definitely be up for something like this for things like Magazines, Newspapers, academic PDFs etc. that the e-ink devices don't handle well.

I hope this promps portable game console makers to include some sort of 3G connectivity for gaming/DLC on the go. I was hoping the PSP Go would have something like this when it was first announced.

[quote name='manthing']No more than justifying the $300+ premium over a similar iPod Touch when it offers similar functionality outside of iWorks
[/quote]

The screen size is a HUGE addition. You can't read academic PDFs on an iTouch. Newspapers and magazines suck on the small screen. Movies suck on the small screen. Web browsing sucks on a screen that small for non-mobile sites especially.

Just the screen size makes it much more functional vs. an iTouch/iPhone which I've not had much interest in as I don't like doing much of anything on screens that small.

I live in a more metro area than you, dmaul.

FREE Wi-Fi isn't as pervasive as you think.

Just a matter of how often you need it I guess. I need it at home. At the office. And at a public place where I go to work to get out of the office/house--which is usually a Starbucks or other coffee shop.

So I can't foresee anyplace I'd want to use a Tablet that I wouldn't have free WiFi. Other than a flight--but you can't use 3G on flights anyway.

I'm mean this is a big device. It's not something you're going to lug with you everywhere you go unless your a student lugging a back pack everywhere (and could take this instead of a netbook).

So you're not going to be out on the town, want to look up an address or something and pull out your iPad like you would your iPhone. So I just don't' see the 3G as a big draw for a tablet (or a netbook/laptop either for that matter). It's not super portable. I'd think most people would mainly use it in places where you'd be able to get wifi access (places where they now use a netbook or laptop). A tiny smart phone someone always has on them has much more need for 3G than a big tablet IMO. But it's good there's a 3G option there for people who need it.

dmaul:

Have academic books promised support for this?

Newspapers and Magazines usually use Flash support, which this device lacks.

Movies will suck on this, if it lacks HD support.

Again, the 2x premium for the same support is crap, douchey.

[quote name='dmaul1114']So I can't foresee anyplace I'd want to use a Tablet that I wouldn't have free WiFi. [/QUOTE]

Oh no...you can't see your pretentious douchebaggery isn't the norm.

I'm Sooooooooo suprised.

:roll:

[quote name='manthing']dmaul:

:roll:[/QUOTE]

Academics publishers have, McGraw-Hill's CEO was on CNBC yesterday talking about it. As far as magazines and newspapers- they have flash if you use their website, but there will be apps/books specifically designed for the ipad by the magazine/paper(it will likely be mostly paid subscription content). It sucks that it wont have flash though, it's obviously done to make you have to pay for content you could get for free on the web otherwise- but you can always just use your computer. Again, I don't really look at this as a computer or netbook, but a means for delivering apps/magazines and other media content that is enhanced for the device and unavailable elsewhere.

[quote name='manthing']
[/quote]

Some have, but I wasn't talking about text books.

I was talking about PDFs of scholarly research articles. And it does have PDF support.

But as I said, I won't be buying this tablet as it lacks stylus markup, flash, mulit-tasking and some other stuff I need.

But it's a pretty damn solid effort (and lower price than I expected--especially from Apple). So I'm hopefully we'll see a flood of tablets from other companies trying to top it's features and price and I can find one that fits my needs.

Newspapers and magazines and working with them on new formats with embedded video etc. They demoed the NY Times with embedded video etc.

But lack of flash does suck.

Movies will suck on this, if it lacks HD support.

Pretty sure it has HD support. The bigger problem is the screen is a 4:3 aspect ratio which isn't great for movies.

Oh no...you can't see your pretentious douchebaggery isn't the norm.

How was my post in any way pretentious? My only point is 3G is mainly needed in small devices someone takes EVERYWHRE with them. I can't see a 10" tablet being something most users will lug around everywhere.

Just like the majority of laptop/netbook owners don't take them everywhere. They take them when they want to work, surf the internet etc. and are going to places with WiFi as they're just too bulky to carry around everywhere unlike a phone that's always in your pocket. Sure some will want 3G on it, just like people buy 3G adapters for their laptops and netbooks, so it's good that there's a pricier option for them. But I'm glad they didn't force it in every model and drive up the price for people who are fine with just WiFi.

But I do agree that $130 seems like too much extra for just added 3G capabilities. But it's great that it's not locked to any one company.

So not sure where the pretensious insult comes from. Maybe you assumed I'm some Apple fanboy. But 1) I'm not buying this device. 2) I've never owned a single Apple product.

I'm just interested in a tablet device, and I am reasonably impressed at this first stab effort at one (a tablet, not a full features slate/tablet PC) in terms of power, battery life, thinness and the $500 price. That makes me optimistic about where this category of gadges will go in the next year or two.

This is such a load of bullshit.

Tablet computers have existed for ages (there was even a special edition of Windows XP for tablets, and Win7 has tablet features), and no one has ever cared. But now that almighty Apple has a (impossibly half-assed) tablet, the public and media are going totally ga-ga over it. It's literally a giant iPod Touch. Ugh.

I like how in Apple's presentation, they said that the drawbacks for netbooks are "slow" (and this thing has a 1 gigahertz processor, lol), and that they run "PC software." Oh no, PC software, run, hide your children! Unbe-fuckin-lievable.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Tablet computers have existed for ages (there was even a special edition of Windows XP for tablets, and Win7 has tablet features), and no one has ever cared. But now that almighty Apple has a (impossibly half-assed) tablet, the public and media are going totally ga-ga over it. It's literally a giant iPod Touch. Ugh.
[/quote]

The problem is current tablet/slate PCs have been too big and bulky. Mostly being laptops that you can flip the screen and write on with a stylus and try to navigate windows with a stylus (which isn't great as it's still optimized for mouse use).

A tablet like this fills a different need of being small, thin and lightweight. Comfortable to hold and read like a magazine or large book. Easy to hold and write on like a legal pad (though Apple dropped the ball on that one by not having stylus handwriting support) etc.

I do think these tablets will end up as niche devices. But I'd fall in the niche as I'd love something that was basically a digital legal pad that I could use to read and highlight research articles (and have all my articles on one device rather than lugging around a stack of printouts between the home and office). And I could ideally use a tablet to grade students papers they turned in by email etc.

The iPad doesn't do this stuff--but it's just a first gen effort. When future tablets add this kind of stuff, I'll be all over one.

It's not going to replace a laptop or netbook for the casual users. But there's a niche out there who could have a great use for something like this. Academics like me, business people (make the shift to a more paperless office), students etc.

I like how in Apple's presentation, they said that the drawbacks for netbooks are "slow" (and this thing has a 1 gigahertz processor, lol),

Yeah they showed it running HD video and 3D games which most netbooks can't do. Again, not shabby for a first generation tablet. I'll be very interested to see what other companies put out to compete with it, since it doesn't fit my needs currently.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Yeah they showed it running HD video and 3D games which most netbooks can't do.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry,all I saw were the 4:3 vids they showed in the presentation. Please show me where the HD vids were.

the OS kills this device. any potential it had was shot down the minute they decided to use the iphone/itouch OS. no multitasking, no usb, no flash, no widescreen (whats the resolution anyway) and you have to hook it up to a fucking computer to put stuff on it for christs sake.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']the OS kills this device. any potential it had was shot down the minute they decided to use the iphone/itouch OS. no multitasking, no usb, no flash, no widescreen (whats the resolution anyway) and you have to hook it up to a fucking computer to put stuff on it for christs sake.[/QUOTE]

or you can download directly (do people pay attention or do they see an Apple logo and get all angry)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

Tablet computers have existed for ages (there was even a special edition of Windows XP for tablets, and Win7 has tablet features), and no one has ever cared. .[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY, they were so crappy no on could possibly care.

I heard the same shit when the iPhone was unveiled. Too much $$, too underpowered, too this, doesn't have that- wah wah wah.

It would be good, but like RAM said, they fucked it with the OS. If it just ran Mac OS it would be pretty awesome. I know plenty of people will buy it, but it just doesn't seem to have much of a point with all of its limitations.

Not to mention iPad is just iPod with a weird fake Boston accent or something.

[quote name='manthing']I'm sorry,all I saw were the 4:3 vids they showed in the presentation. Please show me where the HD vids were.[/QUOTE]

4:3 vids can be HD. Stuff doesn't have to be 16:9, HD relates to the resolution not the aspect ratio (though again I don't like that it's 4:3). Pretty sure the mentioned the part of UP they showed was HD. The resolution of the iPad is 1024 x 768.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/can-apples-ipad-save-the-media-after-all/

Television, Film, and Video

The prospect of buying downloadable television episodes on iTunes hasn’t caused a mass exodus from cable and satellite television providers, and neither will the prospect of the buying and watching videos on the iPad. That said, the HD video support is nice, and this new hardware option should provide a small boost to sales of and subscriptions to all types of video in the iTunes store. And because iTunes videos are formatted to look good on the iPad, video consumers have an incentive to buy that music downloaders lack (just about every device plays MP3s without a hitch, but video is more complicated).

[quote name='SpazX']It would be good, but like RAM said, they fucked it with the OS. If it just ran Mac OS it would be pretty awesome. I know plenty of people will buy it, but it just doesn't seem to have much of a point with all of its limitations.

Not to mention iPad is just iPod with a weird fake Boston accent or something.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of mixed on that. I don't need a tablet device to be a full fledged Laptop with a full OS.

So if one comes out that has stylus support, can do multi tasking, doesn't do silly shit like not have flash I'll be pretty good to go. I've never been big on tweaking and customizing stuff anway, and prefer things that just work as simply and easily as possible.

I'd prefer some kind of light OS on it so I could use word documents etc. But I don't need a full fledged one. That's what my laptop and PC are for. I want a tablet mainly to just read PDFs, word documents etc. and mark them up with a stylus like I would the printouts today. As well as browse the web etc.

But I'm sure there will be a new slew of full featured Tablet PCs with a version of Windows 7 or Linux etc. that come out. Along with other cheaper, more limited multimedia tablets like this.

At least I hope anyway, then there will be a lot of options and everyone can find what they need.

[quote name='docvinh']Price isn't too bad, though I would expect more memory overall.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the price is my favorite part as it willl really put pressure on competitors to keep tablet prices down.

Should also lead to price drops on large screen e-ink devices like the Kindle DX.

E-ink is defintely better for long-term reading as it's very paper like, easy on the eyes, great battery life etc.

But as I said earlier, I can't see many paying $489 for a Kindle DX with 2 GB of storage that does nothing but display text and grayscale images, when they could get a 16GB iPad for $499.

So we should see a real change in e-ink device prices, a slew of tablets from other companies that will have to be priced competitively and do more to beat Apple's marketing etc.

[quote name='usickenme']or you can download directly (do people pay attention or do they see an Apple logo and get all angry)[/quote]
Better than people who see the Apple logo and get all wet in the pants. People get angry when they see the Apple logo, because it means that idiots are going to be sold more stupid, glossy, overpriced, locked-down shit. PC users have reason to be smug; Apple's shit sucks, and is for stupid people. This has been true for nearly 30 years. And that's okay, but you need to understand that this is fact, and it is why people hate Apple.

EXACTLY, they were so crappy no on could possibly care.
Uh, tablet PCs up to now have at least been real PCs, not overpriced low-spec gimpy pieces of shit running a fucking telephone OS with MP3 player guts.

I heard the same shit when the iPhone was unveiled. Too much $$, too underpowered, too this, doesn't have that- wah wah wah.
And the iPhone still sucks. Your point?

Telephone OS- is that supposed to an insult? All the devs I know love the support Apple gives, the ease of working with the SDK and the opportunity to make an a$$load of money with apps.

You may think the iPhone suck but it clearly changed the game with phone. This device could do the same. Like dmaul said- this could get other manufacturers to step up their game on tablets

Also- If you care so much about what other people buy- I think YOU are the one with the problem. Most people stop that shit when they get out of Jr. High. (apologies if you are still in jr. high).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Better than people who see the Apple logo and get all wet in the pants. People get angry when they see the Apple logo, because it means that idiots are going to be sold more stupid, glossy, overpriced, locked-down shit. PC users have reason to be smug; Apple's shit sucks, and is for stupid people. This has been true for nearly 30 years. And that's okay, but you need to understand that this is fact, and it is why people hate Apple.

Uh, tablet PCs up to now have at least been real PCs, not overpriced low-spec gimpy pieces of shit running a fucking telephone OS with MP3 player guts.

And the iPhone still sucks. Your point?[/QUOTE]

could you be any more narrow minded...I'm guessing you've never really even tried any of their products. I like apple products, I also have a windows 7 desktop...it's possible to see the merits in both you now. You really are gonna miss out on a lot of stuff in life if you insist on being so narrow minded.... you are missing out on a lot of fun casual gaming for one thing(which you seem to like based on your popcap sig), like Sword and Poker, doodle jump, Zenonia, Spider Bryce Manor, GeoDefense, and on the go pop cap games.

bread's done
Back